Deceased/Not Found Canada - Alvin, 66, & Kathy Liknes, 53, Nathan O'Brien, 5, Calgary, 30 Jun 2014 - #11

Status
Not open for further replies.
bugs me like a rock in my shoe.

I really wonder if DG was there talking to AL when JO left. (which would explain how he got in the house). Like as if to part ways before they move. Or they knew he was coming to talk to AL.

I have asked this exact same question and still it bothers me. Why didn't she just say 10:00 pm when she left as the public knew that. Here are some lingering ideas. 1) Maybe AL and NO were gone somewhere like a store when she left. 2)Maybe she put NO to bed earlier like around 8:00 pm. 3)Maybe DG was even there when she left "talking to AL".

He was PG's brother so even if they did not like him they would not have been afraid of him. Before the murder charges i thought maybe the reason was NO slept through it and she saw him the next morning, however, they had to pretend he was missing due to witness protection for NO so the perpetrator would not come back for him someday. Unfortunately now that is not looking like the case. That would have been the best answer tho because that would have explained why she said no comment if she in fact seen him after 10:00 pm and could not admit it and would explain why it only shows two homicides at that residence. JMO

Maybe she had no patience with having to answer questions to satisfy a reporter's curiosity. She would be traumatized and in shock. I think I would be testy and unco-operative too.

Here is another theory of mine. Maybe DG stopped by the estate sale earlier in the day and looked around to see if there was anything of interest. He could have arranged to come back later to pick something up. He could have had a chat with AL that ticked him off for whatever reason. He could have stopped by just for a chat.

We don't really know the essence of their relationship. Sometimes people get into petty arguments yet still remain outwardly civil, especially when they are family, even tho deep inside they hate each other. We don't know if the petty argument about a patent was old news or still a fresh and open wound. We don't know if there was something new to add to DG's frustrations with AL.

Anyhow, I imagine that DG was in the area and possibly visited the home before 10PM that night. His truck was seen SEVERAL times as per LE.

The front of the home is wide open and if the neighbors stepped outside they could see everything that was going on in that driveway.

https://www.google.com/maps/@51.019...ata=!3m4!1e1!3m2!1smjdDPdowu0QJO3KIaGtwrw!2e0

Was this a silent crime? How could it be? He must have had some cojones to bring 3 people in the front of the house like that. He could have been caught any time.

The 3 level split was introduced in the late 60's, and the 4 level split in the mid 70's. I have never, in 3 active decades in the residential housing industry, seen a 50's split level in Alberta. I think a raised bungalow (bi-level) makes more sense, with the left side of the home, including the garage, being an addition.

Have you ever been through Varsity in Calgary? That community was largely built in the 50's and 60's and is full of split level homes. My home was built in 1956 and is a four level split. At least half homes on my street are split levels.

I hope not. If they were worried about danger why would they let little NO stay over. Each to their own but i would not let my grandchild stay with me if i was worried about danger. But i am not a grandparent yet, so should not say. JMO

Because they perceived the risk to be low? No one likes to think they are being irrational or even paranoid? Perhaps they felt they had all contingencies covered?
These were healthy people.... And likely didn't think for a moment that the poor child would be targeted. I would think he (AL) may have felt confident that he could deal with any threat without it advancing deeper into the house

Have you ever been through Varsity in Calgary? That community was largely built in the 50's and 60's and is full of split level homes. My home was built in 1956 and is a four level split. At least half homes on my street are split levels.
Much of the SW as well is split level from that era.

Because they perceived the risk to be low? No one likes to think they are being irrational or even paranoid? Perhaps they felt they had all contingencies covered?
These were healthy people.... And likely didn't think for a moment that the poor child would be targeted. I would think he (AL) may have felt confident that he could deal with any threat without it advancing deeper into the house
Perhaps they simply had no clue about what was going to happen. I just can't believe that they would have in a million years put their grandson at risk.

Perhaps they simply had no clue about what was going to happen. I just can't believe that they would have in a million years put their grandson at risk.

Perhaps there had been many vague threats through the years? None of which materialized?maybeGG grumbled and complained many times ?

I find it odd that CL was calling that morning and popped over, not knowing his brother was missing. There is something iffy about that.

Yes, you can read into it that way, or like many people, perhaps he had a question to ask, was driving somewhere close by, and just decided to stop in since there was no answer. Calgary isn't a massive city with horrible gridlock.

Yes, you can read into it that way, or like many people, perhaps he had a question to ask, was driving somewhere close by, and just decided to stop in since there was no answer. Calgary isn't a massive city with horrible gridlock.

I agree, I didn't read too much into it. Maybe that is because my family is the same way, we just drive by of someone hasn't answered (if we are close by). More often than not we find people are just outside and missed the phone.

I have asked this exact same question and still it bothers me. Why didn't she just say 10:00 pm when she left as the public knew that. Here are some lingering ideas. 1) Maybe AL and NO were gone somewhere like a store when she left. 2)Maybe she put NO to bed earlier like around 8:00 pm. 3)Maybe DG was even there when she left "talking to AL".

He was PG's brother so even if they did not like him they would not have been afraid of him. Before the murder charges i thought maybe the reason was NO slept through it and she saw him the next morning, however, they had to pretend he was missing due to witness protection for NO so the perpetrator would not come back for him someday. Unfortunately now that is not looking like the case. That would have been the best answer tho because that would have explained why she said no comment if she in fact seen him after 10:00 pm and could not admit it and would explain why it only shows two homicides at that residence. JMO

If she saw DG there when she left, he would've become suspect #1 on day one, and they would have searched his property within hours of the discovery.

As for the "no comment", perhaps she was instructed not to answer any detailed questions regarding the sale, times etc.

I think it's safe to assume LE only have conclusive evidence that 2 of the 3 were killed in the residence. It doesn't mean only 2 of the 3 were, it's a matter of what can be proven... Thus the stat on the website.

If she saw DG there when she left, he would've become suspect #1 on day one, and they would have searched his property within hours of the discovery.

As for the "no comment", perhaps she was instructed not to answer any detailed questions regarding the sale, times etc.

I think it's safe to assume LE only have conclusive evidence that 2 of the 3 were killed in the residence. It doesn't mean only 2 of the 3 did, it's a matter of what can be proven... Thus the stat on the website.

what does the website show for murders in airdrie for the same time period?

I agree, I didn't read too much into it. Maybe that is because my family is the same way, we just drive by of someone hasn't answered (if we are close by). More often than not we find people are just outside and missed the phone.

It was a known dispute. Other family members knew there was a disagreement. What if DG was contacting AL regularily to correct the perceived wrong? If a later patent was successful, how would a well functioning businessman respond to a less confident loner?
al would likely have maintained that DG wasn't entitled to credit as he'd had to work with further people to perfect the device ? DG would be angered perhaps ? Maybe even so far as to say " you won't get away with this? Enough maybe to make AL wary but not a real threat?

I would think I could deal with a confrontation at the door should it arise. Who would think for a moment that trouble would invade upon the safety of your home?

It was a known dispute. Other family members knew there was a disagreement. What if DG was contacting AL regularily to correct the perceived wrong? If a later patent was successful, how would a well functioning businessman respond to a less confident loner?
al would likely have maintained that DG wasn't entitled to credit as he'd had to work with further people to perfect the device ? DG would be angered perhaps ? Maybe even so far as to say " you won't get away with this? Enough maybe to make AL wary but not a real threat?

With all the talk of patents, inventions, oil and gas, working farms and every other business involved in this, one thing I don't see is an actual product or service that would generate the revenues, and incomes for those involved. Perhaps it's because no one wants to publicly state that they had an association (customer, supplier partner etc.) with either side in fear of the publicity. It seems, however, there is a lot we do not know about the relationships, the nature of the relationships, and what sort of disagreement could allegedly lead to murder.

Short of a confession, plea, or trial... The real details don't seem to be forthcoming.

Unless there were a lot of custom built homes in those areas, I'm still respectfully doubtful. In the fifties people built bungalows, those little cape cod wartime homes as they were called, and two storeys for wealthier families. The splits were introduced in the 60\s and then the 4 level split in the 70's.
A split level has an altogether different pitch on the roof line, the part containing the bedrooms is always higher.
The L's home, without the addition, has the exact roof line a bungalow home of that era would have. The home as it stands might have been made into a split level, with stairs going up to the higher level, but it didn't start out that way. IMHO It would not be a 4 level split, unless a full basement was dug out under the addition (doubtful)... (not that it matters all that much in the larger context of things). :(

Unless there were a lot of custom built homes in those areas, I'm still respectfully doubtful. In the fifties people built bungalows, those little cape cod wartime homes as they were called, and two stories for the wealthier families. The splits were introduced in the 60\s and then the 4 level split in the 70's.
A split level has an altogether different pitch on the roof line, the part containing the bedrooms is always higher.
The L's home, without the addition, has the exact roof line a bungalow home of that era would have. I can not see that home being a split level (not that it matters all that much in the larger context of things). :(
The house my late husband's parents built in 1957 was a 3 level split and there are several on his street and in the area of Kingsland Calgary. There are also many split levels in Brentwood that I know for certain so I'm going to have to respectfully disagree.

Here is another theory of mine. Maybe DG stopped by the estate sale earlier in the day and looked around to see if there was anything of interest. He could have arranged to come back later to pick something up. He could have had a chat with AL that ticked him off for whatever reason. He could have stopped by just for a chat.

We don't really know the essence of their relationship. Sometimes people get into petty arguments yet still remain outwardly civil, especially when they are family, even tho deep inside they hate each other. We don't know if the petty argument about a patent was old news or still a fresh and open wound. We don't know if there was something new to add to DG's frustrations with AL.

Anyhow, I imagine that DG was in the area and possibly visited the home before 10PM that night. His truck was seen SEVERAL times as per LE.

The front of the home is wide open and if the neighbors stepped outside they could see everything that was going on in that driveway.

https://www.google.com/maps/@51.019...ata=!3m4!1e1!3m2!1smjdDPdowu0QJO3KIaGtwrw!2e0

Was this a silent crime? How could it be? He must have had some cojones to bring 3 people in the front of the house like that. He could have been caught any time.

I can't shake that aspect either you mention at the end of your post - it seems like a silent crime. And how could it have been not heard at all? How could it have stayed controlled? If there was a violent incident involving one person wouldn't the other have screamed? If there was a violent incident involving two people, how could that have been done at the same time? I don't know how a murderer could possibly plan to harm one victim at a time if that's what was done to keep things 'quiet', it just seems too risky if it backfires. He had to plan for no one screaming or escaping and had to plan how to physically control two people at the same time.

I can't shake that aspect either you mention at the end of your post - it seems like a silent crime. And how could it have been not heard at all? How could it have stayed controlled? If there was a violent incident involving one person wouldn't the other have screamed? If there was a violent incident involving two people, how could that have been done at the same time? I don't know how a murderer could possibly plan to harm one victim at a time if that's what was done to keep things 'quiet', it just seems too risky if it backfires. He had to plan for no one screaming or escaping and had to plan how to physically control two people at the same time.

great points. what if there were two at the door?

By 'CL', do you mean 'AL's' brother? If so, that could mean he had a key? Also, was he the brother who showed up at the house on the morning the people were discovered to be missing, because AL had failed to answer his phone?

IIRC didn't CL live with them for awhile? I thought I remember reading that in one of the threads here somewhere. I'm not insinuating anything here, just sayin - that's who else I thought I remember I read had lived there at one time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sarti