MO - Grief & protests follow shooting of teen Michael Brown #8

Status
Not open for further replies.
And that just proves that no one is immune to bias.
We all have our own preconceived notions.

Where does Al Sharpton live? Jesse Jackson?

Do they have a pool?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hope I do not bore you to death!!

Ran through spell check for you guys (!) to at least get some of it out. I am not running it 9 times which is what would be required for perfection!! That is quite a feat to make spell check go into overtime!!

I am glad they are pointing to mental health in the other case. And discussing training officers how to handle the mentally ill better.Officers screaming at someone who is losing it only escalates them Fast movemnts scare them. Givng them directions fast confuses them .

It is also valid that there are effective deescalation techniques that are effective .

. Very often (not always) but like 95% of the time the escalation takes time and often can be observed ahead of the final explosion. You see increased pacing, quicker arm movements, talking to self or to Jesus, cowering in a corner afraid something is out to hurt them focusing on one person in the unit. The closer they get to losing it they bemuse lounder ( as witnessed in video) In the earlier video 9after he leaces the store) note his gait got faster, he is looking around more, he looks hesitant at times.

The technique we used went like this . One of us on the team would notice an individual escalating. Depending on diagnosis , history , mediation compliance, how long pt on unit, the first priority is to clear the unit. safety. A lot of times we let everyone go to the smoking area! It IT also provides the individual less stimulation.
We organized 5 staff members. Depending on the state of the unit if we needed more staff we would call the other unit and get more staff. AN escalating pt indeed increases the agitation on the entire unit. The takedown is usually scary for other PTS as well. And since they are more stable, they are aware most of the time to know that a takedown might occur.

We got five staff, assigned each person an arm a leg and one for the waist . The support staff usually did the limbs while we (the clinicians) handled the middle . They had a bit more relationship with us cause of group. The four other staff stand behind us. We lead at the head of the pack. No other staff members are allowed to speak with the pt. Only us. You whisper, the group walks slowly toward.
You do not get into any of the"stuff" IE Jesus is not goanna hurt you etc. You only state (oaten over and over!) All I care about is you being safe, everyone else on the unit being safe and I want all of us to be safe. NONE likes taking a suffering person down and to seclusion room.HOweVER it is a reality in certain instances.
IF that has happened your team slowly moves in , the goal at that point is to get the pt on the ground less chance of injury. Often they would bite spit urinate or defecate. Ok everyone has parts and you get pt to seclusion room . It is called 5 point restraint. Legs, arms and waist yes it sounds awful but yes there arms , legs are kept form moving - the restraints do not injure we are not talking about handcuffs!

All staff but clinician leave seclusion room. At times talking to them, in the seclsion room can escalate them too. Most of the time , in the decludion room they calmed with one in the seclusion. If that is the case you leave too. Turn the lights lower. Typically a nurse comes in and gives them a shot.
Take down and seclusion are a huge hassle for the staffing levels . When they are in seclusion a staff member has to be takin off the floor and watch the pt through the window and every 15 minutes document pt observed and safe. Seclsion is also a real hassle documentation wise - document document documetn!
BiLive it or not in a lot of instances you can get them to walk to the seclusion room with you without a takedown. They feel safe in their it is quiet. A lot of them liked going if there feeling agitated. Some would even approach you and say I need to go to the seclusion rom. If they go voluntarily you ( again it is assessing) can often not restrain them and they will pace or scream themselves out . They must be released from the seclusion room as early as possible and safe. Sadly some can be in there for days.

And yes it is a scary experience and when I started I did not like doing it. I want to do group, family and infidels (indiiduals_ ( I had to leave spell check change in on this one- I cracked up -- kind of relevant HA! - if I wanted s to do that kind of thing I would have gone into wrestling! JUst was ot my forte!!

But as I got good it , and with experience better able to access if it does get to takedown or a walk to seclusion I felt safe in that my skills I could feel safer that it will not get out of control.
Some were good at it , some awful escalating the pt, getting into power and control issues with someone who is scared, seeing or hear ding things I mean come on that is not the time to do that- it escalates them

Hope I did not bore you - I would thing he was psychotic, could not afford his meds and lost it on the day he lost his life (that one looked like overkill to me sorry two people blasting away ata 85 lb person with a knife - notice none has described a machete!

Jumping off your post...

The idea that DR. Mary Casy made that statment b/c she's seeking to discredit the Browns autopsy is a stretch, consider this article...dated MAY 2013 well before his appearance alongside Baden.

Not to get way O/T here but the KC Star did an expose lengthy article regarding the ME's office in KC, MO. I live in MO. The KC Star raked them over the coals. Mainly for calling obvious homicides as suicides. I am paraphrasing. So there is NO WAY they are going to allow him to use them as a reference. And it could be why he moved across state lines to set up shop. If this guys smart he will not be coming back to Missouri. IMO he only did this so he could get his picture taken with Baden to hang on his wall and bragging rights.

JMO's

http://www.stltoday.com/news/local/...cle_0662e5b1-dcfa-578f-9487-8ab6a176ea4d.html

Check this out--it is being discussed on another blog that I can't link, but I think it is a big deal. This press conference with Daryl Parks was held on Friday August 15. At about 12:55, a reporter asks Parks if the 2nd autopsy was completed and he says YES. However, Baden did not fly into St. Louis until the 17th to do the autopsy.

Whaddya think?

http://fox2now.com/2014/08/15/live-...-the-media-from-ferguson-police-headquarters/

BBM
Because Wilson looks to me like he is pacing back and forth trying to figure out what the hell just happened, if he had sustained a blowout fracture his face would be covered in blood and he would be on his hands and knees in pain and would stay in extreme pain until he got to hospital and was administered strong pain meds

You may have missed a couple of days here.

Several members here and/or their family members have had that type of fracture.

That's simply not the case

The known facts HAVE NOT changed.
MB stole from a convenience store then assaulted the employee.
MB walked in the middle of the street , ignoring LE's plea to get
on the sidewalk.
MB broke the law twice...at least.
MB should have listened to LEO W.

why is this so hard to grasp?

So the kids are jaywalking and the cop just, for no reason, pulls a gun and puts it to MB's head? Maybe, but after seeing MB in action, 10 minutes prior, I doubt it. MB was already in an aggressive mode. So I tend to believe that HE was the aggressor here. The cop was sitting in broad daylight in front of hundreds of balconies and windows. He would not have drawn that weapon, unprovoked by a prior attack, imo.

Even the witnesses say there was an attack. Dorian even admits that when the officer tried to step out of the car, the door slammed back on him. Sounds like he was admitting the beginning of the attack right then.

Maybe MB was a .. Maybe it is his fault he was shot... What I am saying is there are many possibilities and it sure as he'll is not out of the question or unprecedented that a cop was the over aggressive instigator...
And Dorian said the door hit them and bounced back at Wilson.. At no point did he or any eye witness say MB attacked the cop.... These are all just assumptions

Assaulting a cop and trying to take his gun are both assumptions.....

Not according to the Brown family lawyer and common sense. IMO

He called it "more than a tussle" in the car and the gun discharged.

It insults my intelligence to even suggest the much smaller Officer Wilson would attempt to grab a 6'4" almost 300 pound man by the throat while still sitting in his vehicle through the window.

All IMO

IMHO & as a resident of StL, she's being railroaded for speaking the truth - Post-Dispatch has not been known for its stellar reporting; it's actually a J O K E to many of us City residents

It was interesting to hear it on the news that she had to "walk it back" and then be told of the difference between that term, and retraction.

And that just proves that no one is immune to bias.
We all have our own preconceived notions.

If all you know is being hassled by police - especially if you are perceived as being the wrong color for a neighborhood - how is it bias to avoid that?

I will be very upfront and say I have NEVER had a pleasant run in with police until very recently. And I am one of the lighter skinned people in my family. And a woman. But in my 41 (ack) years, the vast majority of interactions have been with rude, arrogant, and needlessly antagonistic cops. I won't even get into that crap I've seen males have to deal with. Awful. When someone can have their head slammed into a cruiser hood repeatedly until they are bloody, and then be charged with "resising arrest", all because they said "what'd I do?!", when the cops can speak to you like you're a piece of dirt an question your presence because they think you don't fit in the neighborhood profile... Just for two examples... Something has to change.

yep, newest CNN witness said he did not see the victim with his hands up.

Your right, he said he did not see that. But he also said he didn't see the whole thing and that he may have missed that.

Brown family lawyer refers to ..."secret grand jury" like it's something dirty and underhanded.
WTH?

Shame on this attorney for taking advantage of these not so savvy parents.

It's like he enjoys keeping them in the dark and ignorant of the law.

Do you not think that this is an extremely important fact?? It sure was important around here when folks were duped into thinking it was true.

No, not in terms of fracture vs. no fracture. One can have a serious injury that has no visible fracture. I think the crucial question is whether MB punched the cop in the face or not. Not whether the punch fractured his socket or not. jmo

Even the Brown family attorney admits there was a 'serious situation' going on at the car.
Serious situation doesn't mean MB was attacking or assaulting Wilson... Again, these are all assumptions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SLEUTHER TRAE PGH