Deceased/Not Found Canada - Alvin, 66, & Kathy Liknes, 53, Nathan O'Brien, 5, Calgary, 30 Jun 2014 - #15

Status
Not open for further replies.
The victims, specifically the parents of Nathan, are both oil and gas employees. The grandfather, a victim, was an oil and gas employee.

Could you please provide a link to support the claim that the Calgary oil and gas industry is rife with illegal drug abuse.

You know, your comments above bring to mind a story that happened up in Edmonton some years back...I'm just going to give an overview...no links, no names, no dates....BMO Bank Manager, highly-qualified, no doubt educated, etc. Currently still sits in jail for bilking his branch out of over $ 1 Million dollars.

I worked at NAIT in the 1980's...Director of Finance, arrested and hauled out in handcuffs for embezzlement. Chartered accountant. Wore a suit to work everyday. Family man.

It doesn't matter what your credentials are, it doesn't matter where you work, it doesn't matter who you are...there are crimes being committed by the educated white collar workers too.

No. I can't because I'm not going to spend the time looking for it...however, there's information available all over the internet on this subject I'm sure. And as far as I'm concerned your request is irrelevant and somewhat harassing. It is what it is. That's life. You can't twist it to suit the situation or the version you would like to see. Take a trip up to Fort Mac and meet some of the employees. Let them tell you their stories, then you can decide for yourself. I personally, have been there, done that.

It is common to request links for statements on this forum, especially when questionable claims are made. It's simply not true that the Calgary oil and gas industry is rife with illegal drug abuse, and that is the only explanation for the absence of a link.

Claims about Fort Mcmurray, a city that is 800 kilometres North of Calgary, are completely irrelevant. The claim that has been made is that the Calgary oil and gas industry is rife with illegal drug abuse. If it is not true, it should not be stated. If it is true, there should be ample sources to back up the claim.

You know, your comments above bring to mind a story that happened up in Edmonton some years back...I'm just going to give an overview...no links, no names, no dates....BMO Bank Manager, highly-qualified, no doubt educated, etc. Currently still sits in jail for bilking his branch out of over $ 1 Million dollars.

I worked at NAIT in the 1980's...Director of Finance, arrested and hauled out in handcuffs for embezzlement. Chartered accountant. Wore a suit to work everyday. Family man.

It doesn't matter what your credentials are, it doesn't matter where you work, it doesn't matter who you are...there are crimes being committed by the educated white collar workers too.

Great. It has been repeatedly stated that the Calgary oil and gas industry is rife with illegal drug abuse. Where is the link?

It is common to request links for statements on this forum, especially when questionable claims are made. It's simply not true that the Calgary oil and gas industry is rife with illegal drug abuse, and that is the only explanation for the absence of a link.

Claims about Fort Mcmurray, a city that is 800 kilometres North of Calgary, are completely irrelevant. The claim that has been made is that the Calgary oil and gas industry is rife with illegal drug abuse. If it is not true, it should not be stated. If it is true, there should be ample sources to back up the claim.

Oh my gosh...I think I'm done talking about this with you if you don't mind. There's clearly no point. Thanks for the invite though.

Oh my gosh...I think I'm done talking about this with you if you don't mind. There's clearly no point. Thanks for the invite though.

True enough. Without any link to support the claim, there is simply no point in stating that the Calgary oil and gas industry is full of drugheads.

True enough. Without any link to support the claim, there is simply no point in stating that the Calgary oil and gas industry is full of drugheads.

Oh my gosh!!! No one said that! We are talking about the Oil and Gas industry...and that does extend past Calgary. Furthermore, a lot of Calgarians, Edmontonians, Smiths Fallians, Newfoundlanders, etc...work in the Oil and Gas industry in Fort Mac...the Oil and Gas industry is comprised of a collection of people from EVERYWHERE across Canada, as well as from Vietnam, Phillipines, etc. It's all the Oil & Gas industry. Please stop with this.

Oh my gosh!!! No one said that! We are talking about the Oil and Gas industry...and that does extend past Calgary. Furthermore, a lot of Calgarians, Edmontonians, Smiths Fallians, Newfoundlanders, etc...work in the Oil and Gas industry in Fort Mac...the Oil and Gas industry is comprised of a collection of people from EVERYWHERE across Canada, as well as from Vietnam, Phillipines, etc. It's all the Oil & Gas industry. Please stop with this.

How is Fort McMurray related to this triple murder?

Thank you for your comments. I don't mean to imply that LE are not doing a good job, they could very well be doing an astounding job, I just don't know that, and I'm not prepared to hang a man when I don't know he is guilty. The point is that it seems many WSer's believe that DG is guilty, even though there has been no real evidence disclosed to the public to even base that on.
I'm sorry that you are tired about hearing of wrongly accused and convicted, and hopefully it IS a very rare occurrence. I find it hard to believe that so many, and not just in this case, and not just on WS, are so willing to hang a person before there is even a trial, (so to speak), indeed before there is even a preliminary hearing, and even before any real evidence is made public. In the beginning, even after the green truck, LE had stated they were still looking into other avenues, and that DG was not the only person of interest in this particular case. Sightings of the missing family were reported in tips to the police. I am really hoping that LE has given all of the tips and all of the circumstantial evidence in this case fair consideration, as opposed to being too focused on one possibility. And that, I know, happens a lot, and perhaps it often also results in the truth, but not always, and by the time it may be discovered that another tip should have been given more weight at the time, it is often too late to pursue it.
Lastly, yes I do believe LE absolutely used the ID charge in order to hold DG in custody in regard to the murder. And further, I don't see anything wrong with that. It was within their rights to do so, and for whatever reasons they felt it was warranted at the time, and I'm sure they felt they would be able to gather some kind of hard evidence very quickly. But after days of searching the man's property while he was waiting for his bail hearing on the ID charge(s), they still had nothing concrete with which to hold him on, and he ended up getting bail.

Personally, I'm sort of tired of hearing about how people have been wrongly accused or even convicted. That circumstance is a rarity, IMO, and is really a lazy and convenient defence that can be employed in the defence of every defendant in every case. Plus we don't really need to be reminded of those rare instances, I'm pretty sure we're all equally as plugged into the news. I also think it's an insult to the police services that worked this case. The public scrutiny is incredible, the heartache to members of the police was huge, knowing a child was involved. Painting a picture of a sloppy investigation with investigators taking a shortcut to judgment is, well, cruel and IMO, there is no basis to suggest it.

Re: what they did or didn't find in the truck - blood is not the only evidence LE might have found. Or, it may not have been readily apparent, and may have required some time and lab testing. We don't know bodies were dragged in bags down the driveway to a truck, do we? We don't know if there was other CCTV footage of the truck. IMO, LE concluded they had enough evidence against DG beyond the fact that he drove a similar green truck, and out of a crazy coincidence, was also related by marriage and business dealings to the deceased.

Maybe it was not your intention, but you make it sound like the police pulled a fast one in charging DG with the identity theft offence as a ruse to hold him for the other crime. If DG was walking around with someone else's ID, that was his choice and LE did nothing improper in charging him.

IMHO

That is what I was thinking too.. that wherever there is a booming economy, it brings all kinds of people to gain work, and with those all kinds of people comes all kinds of under-types who try to make money from the masses in other ways. It seems what I call 'vultures' are everywhere, and in droves, nowadays, and I suspect that problem is even more bothersome in booming areas. I am cancelling my home phone line after having this number for 12 years, because the only people who call my landline anymore are... the 'vultures'. I'm not in a booming area. Wherever there is money, I would think there are plenty of unsavory, transient types, no offence to any one, any area, or any field of work. MOO.

Might I add that drugs, prostitution, sports betting, mortgage fraud are a huge problem as well.
http://www.torontosun.com/2011/10/22/crime-pays-for-alberta-gangs

The last line in this article...
“The Alberta Advantage — a good economy and lots of money.”

It's the hub of the Oil & Gas industry, Otto. Has been for years.

Fort McMurray may well be an oil exploration site, but that does not mean that the Calgary oil and gas industry is rife with illegal drug use, and oil exploration in Fort McMurray has not been connected with the murders.

That is what I was thinking too.. that wherever there is a booming economy, it brings all kinds of people to gain work, and with those all kinds of people comes all kinds of under-types who try to make money from the masses in other ways. It seems what I call 'vultures' are everywhere, and in droves, nowadays, and I suspect that problem is even more bothersome in booming areas. I am cancelling my home phone line after having this number for 12 years, because the only people who call my landline anymore are... the 'vultures'. I'm not in a booming area. Wherever there is money, I would think there are plenty of unsavory, transient types, no offence to any one, any area, or any field of work. MOO.

I look forward to a link connecting unsavoury characters, and drug abusers, with the oil and gas industry in Calgary.

What on earth does the degree of criminal drug activity/organized crime within the oil and gas industry in Alberta, booming metropolises or Fort McMurray have to do with the murder of a pair of grandparents and a 5 year old boy??

If it is not nasty speculation about the victims and/or their family, what is it?

IMHO

Okay - let's put the drug discussion, as it pertains to the victims, away for now. If something breaks in MSM, then it can be reconsidered.

And, as always, please remember to be respectful of each other. This is not a contest, it is an exploration.

Thanks,

Salem

... bumping

Sorry LoriMcA, I was getting that '2' from newspaper articles, but after looking at the 'two', they appear to both be the 'same'. So I suppose that even if it is stated in MSM, and even if a link can be provided, it doesn't necessarily mean it is fact.

http://globalnews.ca/news/1432691/p...n-truck-has-information-about-missing-family/

No worries deugirtni...I was just curious to see the 2...

It looks like the 2nd is just a cropped and enlarged version of the first one....I guess that is their idea of '2' :)

I really was hoping for a 2nd ...I wanted to check out that mirror or lack thereof ....like figuring out a jigsaw puzzle & having that one missing piece sometimes isn't it?*L* Thank you for the link tho! :)

Excellent link, thank you for providing. And just because unsavory characters, drug abusers, and such exist within the O&G industry, even in Calgary, it is not to say that anyone in particular was or is involved in that type of thing. Things that are unknown simply cannot be stated as fact one way or another, I think that was the point of this discussion? And it applies to all of the speculation, ideas, accusations, thoughts, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Soccergirl500