Ebola outbreak - general thread #1

Status
Not open for further replies.
My apologies if this link has already been posted. Seems I'm late to the Ebola thread:

The Ebola patient was visiting a neighborhood where 33 languages are spoken, Dallas County Judge Clay Jenkins said.

According to The Associated Press, the sister of the first Ebola patient diagnosed in the United States says he told relatives he notified officials the first time he went to the hospital that he was visiting from Liberia.

Mai Wureh says her brother, Thomas Eric Duncan, went to a Dallas emergency room on Friday and they sent him home with antibiotics. She says he said hospital officials asked for his Social Security number and he said that he didn’t have one because he was visiting from Liberia.

Read more here: http://www.star-telegram.com/2014/10/01/6165611/officials-say-only-one-ebola-case.html#storylink=cpy

Dallas parents fearing Ebola remove children from school

A letter to parents of children at L.L. Hotchkiss Elementary School, 6929 Town North Drive, says in part:

“This morning, we were made aware that one of our students may have had contact with an individual who was recently diagnosed with the Ebola virus. This student is currently not showing any symptoms and is under close observation by the Dallas County Health and Human Services Department. As a precautionary measure, the student has been advised to stay home from school. Since this student is not presenting any symptoms, there is nothing to suggest that the disease was spread to others, including students and staff.”

Read more here: http://www.star-telegram.com/2014/10/01/6165611/officials-say-only-one-ebola-case.html#storylink=cpy

WTH???

I really am baffled!
When I can compose myself, I will put together a legit post.
Right now...shocked.

"Speaking in the parking lot of the apartment complex where Duncan was staying, Mesud Osmanovic, a 21-year-old manual labourer who lives there, said he saw the ambulance arrive.“When the ambulance came his whole family were all screaming, he got outside and he was throwing up all over the place … when he was throwing up he was trying to walk and he couldn’t walk,” Osmanovic said. He said he had met Duncan only a couple of times but knew him as kind and helpful to residents. “I know him through his family … This ain’t his first time coming to America,” he said. “He was a quiet guy, a really nice guy.”

I just read The Guardian article where this quote comes from. This is outrageous… how could this have been allowed to happen?

Dallas parents fearing Ebola remove children from school

A letter to parents of children at L.L. Hotchkiss Elementary School, 6929 Town North Drive, says in part:

“This morning, we were made aware that one of our students may have had contact with an individual who was recently diagnosed with the Ebola virus. This student is currently not showing any symptoms and is under close observation by the Dallas County Health and Human Services Department. As a precautionary measure, the student has been advised to stay home from school. Since this student is not presenting any symptoms, there is nothing to suggest that the disease was spread to others, including students and staff.”

I don't blame these parents. If it were me, I'd be looking into homeschooling for the next month. These kids could be infected and just not showing symptoms yet. Incubation can take up to 21 days!

"Speaking in the parking lot of the apartment complex where Duncan was staying, Mesud Osmanovic, a 21-year-old manual labourer who lives there, said he saw the ambulance arrive.“When the ambulance came his whole family were all screaming, he got outside and he was throwing up all over the place … when he was throwing up he was trying to walk and he couldn’t walk,” Osmanovic said. He said he had met Duncan only a couple of times but knew him as kind and helpful to residents. “I know him through his family … This ain’t his first time coming to America,” he said. “He was a quiet guy, a really nice guy.”

I just read The Guardian article where this quote comes from. This is outrageous… how could this have been allowed to happen?

:dunno: I'm still wondering how the guy with the criminal background and a gun got in the elevator with POTUS.

I'm pissed off at the entire family. They knew he came from Liberia so when he got sick they should have never let their kids around him let alone them send them to effin school around other kids. And I know that it might not be an issue good lawd this case is just nuts! He should have told the hosptial right out that he was helping a dying woman with Ebola because I think had he done that the hospital would have sprung into action. Don't get me wrong they def dropped the ball when it was said he was from Liberia. I was doing good and not freaking out until these most recent articles - the one about the woman and the one that really made the anxiety go out of whack was the one where it stated he was puking outside the apartment. Now have you I'm in PA but stll this is Effin crazy. :banghead:

End of rant

I'm pissed off at the entire family. They knew he came from Liberia so when he got sick they should have never let their kids around him let alone them send them to effin school around other kids. And I know that it might not be an issue good lawd this case is just nuts! He should have told the hosptial right out that he was helping a dying woman with Ebola because I think had he done that the hospital would have sprung into action. Don't get me wrong they def dropped the ball when it was said he was from Liberia. I was doing good and not freaking out until these most recent articles - the one about the woman and the one that really made the anxiety go out of whack was the one where it stated he was puking outside the apartment. Effin crazy.

He shouldn't have been traveling to begin with. Being directly in contact with an Ebola patient, he should have been monitored for 21 days. Liberia clearly isn't doing what should be done.
And neither does US.

He shouldn't have been traveling to begin with. Being directly in contact with an Ebola patient, he should have been monitored for 21 days. Liberia clearly isn't doing what should be done.
And neither does US.

Agreed!

I'm pissed off at the entire family. They knew he came from Liberia so when he got sick they should have never let their kids around him let alone them send them to effin school around other kids. And I know that it might not be an issue good lawd this case is just nuts! He should have told the hosptial right out that he was helping a dying woman with Ebola because I think had he done that the hospital would have sprung into action. Don't get me wrong they def dropped the ball when it was said he was from Liberia. I was doing good and not freaking out until these most recent articles - the one about the woman and the one that really made the anxiety go out of whack was the one where it stated he was puking outside the apartment. Now have you I'm in PA but stll this is Effin crazy. :banghead:

End of rant

Darned right! And now thanks to him hopping on a plane, Ebola is no longer contained to Africa and is right here in the good old USA. I'm fearful there will be outbreaks.

I am sure it could. Remember typhoid Mary? She was healthy herself, but infected a lot of people.

Funny, I just told my husband that- this guy is Ebola Thomas.

That Movie -Contagion will be on Sat. Oct 11 on TNT at 1030pm. Est

21 days is quite a long incubation time. I think the CDC is underestimating how many people this guy may have infected. I'd be pulling my kid out of school and somebody in the hospital needs to go back to school for Infectious Diseases.

No link, but CDC is now reporting that ebola virus can be contracted by being within 3 feet of someone with the virus. ? Has anyone else heard or read that information?

No link, but CDC is now reporting that ebola virus can be contracted by being within 3 feet of someone with the virus. ? Has anyone else heard or read that information?

Yea I read it on another site also aerosol spray from sneezing etc of infected person can survive 6 days on objects..

Epidemiologists trace contacts by first interviewing the patient and then the family members to identify all possible names of the people the patient might have had contact with, Frieden said. Then, they will outline all the movements that could have taken place from the time the patient’s symptoms began until isolation.

A map will be made containing time, place and level of contact, shown in concentric circles to identify risk as high, medium, low.

The CDC team and other health officials will monitor all the contacts every day for 21 days. In Senegal, a single patient had more than 60 contacts and all were identified and none became ill, he said.

Frieden said that anyone with any likelihood of exposure from the Dallas case will be contacted.

Well, that's interesting. Then why did they quarantine the ambulance crew and take the ambulance out of service. Why aren't they releasing the airline and flight # that this guy flew in from? Did they take a poll of all the people flying on that airplane and ask if they were willing to fly with someone who could be infected with the Ebola virus and everyone voted yes?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sunny417