Rape allegations mount against Bill Cosby #1

Status
Not open for further replies.
BBM link please?

TIA

A far as I know- the hate has ALWAYS been linked with stories of his predatory nature. So the "hated for something else" excuse does not hold up. Her bio and Howard Stern interview (linked on previous page) both touch on his predatory tendencies.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...uit-settled-accuser-Andrea-Constand-2006.html

Bill Cosby amended his blanket denial of the continued rape allegations against him on Monday to clarify it did not include one of his many accusers.
The new statement says Cosby's denials do not refer to accuser Andrea Constand, whose civil lawsuit against him was settled in 2006.
Differences between Cosby and Constand were 'resolved to the mutual satisfaction' of both parties, according to the new statement, jointly issued by lawyers for Cosby and Constand. Neither party intends to comment further, it adds.

The earlier statement, issued over the weekend, referred to 'decade-old, discredited allegations' against Cosby, stating that 'the fact that they are being repeated does not make them true.'
This was curious to me. I suppose it may be because of some clause or another in the settlement they reached but it kinda sounds like he admits that Andrea Constand's claims were not silly lies.

Great catch Donjeta!

Dickinson, now 59, says Cosby, now 77, reached out to her during a trip to Bali, following her stint in rehab. Dickinson claims Cosby had her travel to Lake Tahoe, because he was performing there and wanted to meet with her about the possibility of a job offer, as well as help her with a singing career.

http://www.etonline.com/news/154076_janice_dickinson_details_alleged_bill_cosby_sexual_assault/

I haven't followed Dickinson's career but I do believe she could find men to sleep with her any time she wanted to. That, however, doesn't make anyone immune to rape. Addiction can make even a successful woman more vulnerable and many women have been lured to uncomfortable situations with promises of a singing career or an acting career.

Where did the info come from?? Aren't these things usually tied to a hush clause?

And why then would all the other women go away. Why??? Where did all the other women come from?? Could it be they were offered something from the original accuser??

http://www.vulture.com/2014/09/timeline-of-the-abuse-charges-against-cosby.html

Here's a bit about the timeline. Constand made an official complaint that was investigated by the authorities, Green, Cosby's lawyer and the prosecutor all gave public statements and then there was the civil suit. There were court papers that mentioned the 13 Jane Does. Jane Doe 5 (Ferrier) got public. Then Constand sued Cosby's lawyers for defamation. Then Bowman goes public.
This happened to January 2005 to June 2006.

It was only in November 2006 that Cosby and Constand settled. So there was an awful lot of dirty laundry that got public before there could be any hush clause between Cosby and Constand, and I don't think Cosby and Constand could make any settlement between the two of them that would include a hush clause that would bind anybody else into silence.

And they didn't exactly go away. Bowman gave an interview to People next month and

That same People article reports that three of the Jane Does from the March 2005 case accepted cash from Cosby for years, and two others began consensual sexual relationships with Cosby.

So you were asking earlier why no one has been paid into silence...well that sounds to me like three people might have been.

I wonder how they found the 12 women in the lawsuit. How does that happen?

Any crazy person who was in a room with BC can now claim they were raped and get in on this.

I wonder how they found the 12 women in the lawsuit. How does that happen?

Constand's complaint was public knowledge by the time she filed the civil suit so anybody who felt wronged by Cosby might have easily contacted her lawyers.

Serignese talking about why she didn't report it at the time:
She spoke openly about the racial factor in the abuse she alleged she suffered, as a white woman at the hands of a black man. “There was not a lot of inter-racial dating,” she said. “I came from Dearborn, Michigan. He was black, I was white, and he was married. It was not in my wildest dreams that that would occur.”

Serignese said that she contacted Cosby almost 20 years after the alleged incident, after she had moved to Florida and was in financial difficulties. He gave her $15,000 in two lump sums, she said.

People had asked her why she didn’t report to the police immediately, she said. “In 1976, that was a shameful thing to occur to a girl. You did not report that. They would victimize you, they would blame you, they would accuse you. Nothing would happen to that person.”
http://www.theguardian.com/world/2014/nov/20/bill-cosby-acused-sexual-assault-seventh-woman

Constand's complaint was public knowledge by the time she filed the civil suit so anybody who felt wronged by Cosby might have easily contacted her lawyers.

Where can I read about that?

One of the things that causes me to doubt this is that all (or close to all) of them kept seeing him.

Where can I read about that?

The timeline I posted a few posts above.

Thirty years ago this fall, The Cosby Show debuted on NBC, and its star was catapulted into the comedic stratosphere. The timing is prime, then, for the release of a sprawling biography. Written by former Newsweek editor Mark Whitaker, Cosby: His Life and Times documents the man’s rise from the Philadelphia projects, while also detailing the creation of his family sitcom and the murder of his son Ennis in 1997.

The book is notable, however, for its complete avoidance of sexual abuse allegations that have dogged Cosby for more than a decade. In a statement to Buzzfeed's Kate Aurthur, Whitaker says, "I didn’t want to print allegations that I couldn’t confirm independently." Regardless, their absence is glaring. Consider the following timeline an appendix to the book.

http://www.buzzfeed.com/kateaurthur...graphy-doesnt-mention-the-past-sexual#1b51xfz

“I was aware of the allegations, but ultimately decided not to include them in my book. I didn’t want to print allegations that I couldn’t confirm independently. In the case of the Shawn Berkes/Autumn Jackson scandal, I managed to do that, based on court records and previously unaired interviews, and as a result I not only write about that case at length but advance the ball with fresh reporting. In the case of the other allegations, however, there were no independent witnesses and no definitive court findings, which did not meet my journalistic or legal standard for including in the biography.”

I think that is quite shameful omission to be honest... Pure whitewashing. It is quite easy to confirm independently that the allegations were made and journalistic standards would rather have required mentioning them... The man settled a civil case with Constand for Pete's sake.

I'm sure legal standards would be satisfied if he just noted that they're allegations that have not been proven in a court of law.

Wondering if Cosby promised or threatened him with something so he wouldn't mention the allegations or if he was just so starstruck he couldn't bring himself to

The timeline I posted a few posts above.

http://www.buzzfeed.com/kateaurthur...graphy-doesnt-mention-the-past-sexual#1b51xfz

I think that is quite shameful omission to be honest... Pure whitewashing. It is quite easy to confirm independently that the allegations were made and journalistic standards would rather have required mentioning them... The man settled a civil case with Constand for Pete's sake.

I'm sure legal standards would be satisfied if he just noted that they're allegations that have not been proven in a court of law.

Wondering if Cosby promised or threatened him with something so he wouldn't mention the allegations or if he was just so starstruck he couldn't bring himself to

Do you know the exact date of when the very first accusations were made public and what they were? Was it 1/27/2005?

If you knew how amazingly sought after Dickinson was in the 80's, as one of the first "super models" you'd know she was not hurting for anyone's attention. A leg up professionally yes- but she had her choice of royalty, rock stars and the like all throughout that time period.
Her hurting over lumpy old Bill rejection is totally laughable in that context. And you know- she hinted at what her publisher was too chicken to print on Howard Stern, she pegged him as a predator long ago.

I know who she is.. And who she was. I have been alive a long time.. :) But back then she said that he was a jerk and blew her off. She has complained about him in her book and in interviews as being a jerk who blew her off.. Now all of a sudden he drugged and attacked her. She is no shrinking violet. When she wrote her book if it was true she could have out it in then.. But no.. Not until someone else raises the flag. AT this point she is a has been. Her fame comes from reality tv and plastic surgery..

I know who she is.. And who she was. I have been alive a long time.. :) But back then she said that he was a jerk and blew her off. She has complained about him in her book and in interviews as being a jerk who blew her off.. Now all of a sudden he drugged and attacked her. She is no shrinking violet. When she wrote her book if it was true she could have out it in then.. But no.. Not until someone else raises the flag. AT this point she is a has been. Her fame comes from reality tv and plastic surgery..

Exactly!! I so agree,you hit the nail on the head with that one!!

All I can think of is how many men have been incarcerated for Rape only to be proved innocent years later by DNA. Women lie about rape. It is sad and disturbing but the fact is they do. It is crappy and it makes it harder for the real victims..

So While I would love to just be able to take every woman's word for it, I can not. I need proof.
If he did this, then it is a shame that they did not go through proper channels all those years ago, But at this point with no evidence, No dna How do we know they are telling the truth?

JA explained why she said what she said and did what she did in the past, and has a reasonable explaination to anyone familiar with the psychological aftermath of rape, You chose to ignore what she has said and distort the facts. You pick JD because she is the only one that has a questionable reputation. It is a perfect example of trying to paint the victim as a *advertiser censored*, liar, and cheat. But it doesn't work this time, since most of these women were very young naive girls, probably with little sexual experience. I don't understand the lack of sympathy for a "sister", I really don't. I wish someone would explain this very primal reaction to rape allegations. It seems to me not that far removed from the dark ages when women were raped, then stoned and killed.

JA explained why she said what she said and did what she did in the past, and has a reasonable explaination to anyone familiar with the psychological aftermath of rape, You chose to ignore what she has said and distort the facts. You pick JD because she is the only one that has a questionable reputation. It is a perfect example of trying to paint the victim as a *advertiser censored*, liar, and cheat. But it doesn't work this time, since most of these women were very young naive girls, probably with little sexual experience. I don't understand the lack of sympathy for a "sister", I really don't. I wish someone would explain this very primal reaction to rape allegations. It seems to me not that far removed from the dark ages when women were raped, then stoned and killed.

Why does the sex of the person who was raped matter? All I am interested in is the truth and I'm not much for cases without evidence.

ETA, and this is coming from a person who has been in a similar situation to what those women say they have been in.

You are entitled to your opinion and I respect that. But of all the allegations I may consider here, hers won't be one of them. She said for years that she could not stand Cosby because he was rude to her and blew her off. She has had ample times to talk about it, When she wrote her book, Any time it happened since. Sorry, I don't believe a word she says.

With all due respect, none of your opinions of her make her a liar about being raped. It comes very, very close to victim blaming. Not all victims react the same way. My opinion and personal experience, though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mona Lisa