NY - Officer Daniel Pantaleo used deadly chokehold on Eric Garner, Staten Island, July 2014

Not disagreeing but where does that law originate?

Probably English common law, like most of our laws in the USA and Canada. But it's a moral belief of nearly every society on the planet, throughout much of modern history. Not only Christian societies (though I know that's what you're getting at).

The electoral college thing stops me, I won't waste my time if it doesn't count. btw I have never been arrested, but I do have a heavy foot.

Agree. I haven't either, but I could have been, in my youth. But then, I was a collegiate white girl and my haunts were not heavily policed. LOL Glad I survived. JMO

What are poster's thoughts on Big Gulp bans, broken window policing as it relates to focusing on petty crimes in NYC?
After all this is partly what caused the arrest of EG.

Yes. I know that. I think you meant to say "convicted" as opposed to "charged". I do not know what crimes, but I presume all felonies? Is that so? And then we are back to conviction for a felony, which for those who can afford it, have "charges" reduced. JMO

Felons except for Maine & Vermont.

Aesop

The Boy Who Cried Wolf

A shepherd-boy, who watched a flock of sheep near a village, brought out the villagers three or four times by crying out, "Wolf! Wolf!" and when his neighbors came to help him, laughed at them for their pains.

The Wolf, however, did truly come at last. The Shepherd-boy, now really alarmed, shouted in an agony of terror: "Pray, do come and help me; the Wolf is killing the sheep"; but no one paid any heed to his cries, nor rendered any assistance. The Wolf, having no cause of fear, at his leisure lacerated or destroyed the whole flock.

This is the consequence of using bad examples.

My reason for bringing it up is that IMO, this case, like the last, has too many confounding factors and people involved to be a real "wolf." The consequences should be considered. I don't want to see real wolves get ignored either.

That's all from me. :wave:

Sent from Tapatalk

You'd have to ask the folks on thread who want to go back to the era of "wedlock", prayer in school, and ten commanents, not me. I'm not down with any of that nonsense.

(I can guess though - people of color)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Now I know why you have so many disagreements with many of us. We are married & therefore believers in nonsense.

Now I know why you have so many disagreements with many of us. We are married & therefore believers in nonsense.

OH. And how is it that you know that? JMO

Aesop

The Boy Who Cried Wolf

A shepherd-boy, who watched a flock of sheep near a village, brought out the villagers three or four times by crying out, "Wolf! Wolf!" and when his neighbors came to help him, laughed at them for their pains.

The Wolf, however, did truly come at last. The Shepherd-boy, now really alarmed, shouted in an agony of terror: "Pray, do come and help me; the Wolf is killing the sheep"; but no one paid any heed to his cries, nor rendered any assistance. The Wolf, having no cause of fear, at his leisure lacerated or destroyed the whole flock.

This is the consequence of using bad examples.

My reason for bringing it up is that IMO, this case, like the last, has too many confounding factors and people involved to be a real "wolf." The consequences should be considered. I don't want to see real wolves get ignored either.

That's all from me. :wave:

Sent from Tapatalk

Oh yes, I do know the parable - I just didn't know what specific news story you were referencing. Still don't. I trust it was about the Eric Garner case? What were people doing/saying in the news story? Also, every news story out there undoubtedly has "confounding factors." Nothing is ever truly cut and dried. But to me this case clearly represents police overreaction and excessive use of force. IMO.

Oh yes, I do know the parable - I just didn't know what specific news story you were referencing. Still don't. I trust it was about the Eric Garner case? What were people doing/saying in the news story? Also, every news story out there undoubtedly has "confounding factors." Nothing is ever truly cut and dried. But to me this case clearly represents police overreaction and excessive use of force. IMO.

While it is tragic a man died during arrest, I have posted the law, the references to it and case law and of course there is the GJ decision. There was no overreaction and excessive force, yet you have not provided a post to prove it was a criminal act. It was per the law and that law has been the standard for decades.

I and I'm sure others would have an open mind to review something, any legal documentation, law, or precedent to substantiate your claim.

While it is tragic a man died during arrest, I have posted the law, the references to it and case law and of course there is the GJ decision. There was no overreaction and excessive force, yet you have not provided a post to prove it was a criminal act. It was per the law and that law has been the standard for decades.

I and I'm sure others would have an open mind to review something, any legal documentation, law, or precedent to substantiate your claim.

Look, you believe what you believe and I believe what I believe. Sound fair? We have different perspectives and life experiences and clearly politics as well. This police procedure being lawful does not make it right, not in my view and that of many others. Laws are changeable and sometimes they need to be changed. They certainly can and need to be discussed.

Whose morals, ethics and values??? Are you suggesting that a theocracy replace a democratic republic? JMO

It doesn't have to be a particular religion. Just the idea that actions have consequences.......be afraid of the hereafter.....etc....it just may make someone think before they drop kick a woman for her phone....

Hi Everyone,

Threads that focus on social or racial issues are moderator intensive. Meaning we get a hundreds of alerts and it's the same thing over and over.
We are not set up to deal with these issues. We don't have enough moderators.

The death of Eric Gardner is a terrible tragedy. The video of Gardner dying breaks my heart.

The fact is the Grand Jury did not indict.

If something new happens in this case we will re-open. Until then the thread will remained closed.

We have thousands of other cases that could use your help. Missing children especially.

Hasanni Campbell 5 years old missing since 2009

Adji Desir 6 years old. Missing since January 2009

In fact I would appreciate it if you would look at Websleuths full "Missing" forum. Babies, kids, teenagers, young adults, middle aged , senior citizens, of all races. Everyone of these cases could use your thoughts.

We have a lot of places to post on Websleuths. Please find a case and jump in.

Thank you,
Tricia

NYPD Says It Will Move Ahead With Disciplinary Trial Against Cop In Eric Garner Case | HuffPost

NYPD plans to pursue an internal disciplinary trial against Daniel Pantaleo, the officer who put Garner in a fatal chokehold in 2014, if the federal government does not announce it will file criminal charges against Pantaleo by Aug. 31.

The Department of Justice opened its investigation into Garner’s death in December 2014 after a grand jury declined to indict Pantaleo. New York City settled out of court with Garner’s family for $5.9 million in 2015.

Last edited:
Disciplinary Trial Begins For NYPD Officer Accused Of Using Illegal Chokehold To Kill Eric Garner

MAY 13, 2019

"The long-awaited disciplinary trial starts today for the white New York City police officer accused of using an illegal chokehold to kill Eric Garner, an unarmed black man, on Staten Island nearly five years ago. The administrative proceeding will determine whether Officer Daniel Pantaleo will keep his job at the NYPD...."

Disciplinary Trial Begins For NYPD Officer Accused Of Using Illegal Chokehold To Kill Eric Garner
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Six months after Eric Garner died, NYPD's Internal Affairs wanted Ofc. Daniel Pantaleo charged, testimony reveals

May 13, 2019
"The definition of what constitutes a chokehold was intensely debated Monday as the departmental trial began for NYPD Officer Daniel Pantaleo, whose apparent chokehold allegedly killed Eric Garner in 2014.

Deputy Inspector Charles Barton, who was with the NYPD's Internal Affairs Bureau at the time of Garner's death, testified that the department requested in January 2015 that Pantaleo be internally charged with using a chokehold. Stuart London, an attorney for Pantaleo, argued that officer did not use a chokehold, but rather a "seat belt" maneuver, which he said was an "approved technique" of taking someone down to the ground....

Ramsey Orta, 27, who captured the last moments of Garner's life on cellphone video detailed the harrowing minutes before and after police arrived at the Staten Island block. Orta, via video feed, said he had been talking to Garner about football and watched him help break up a fight when police arrived. What followed was a struggle with Pantaleo, Orta said, which was detailed on the video he captured.

"He kept saying 'I can't breathe, I can't breathe.' Then I saw his eyes roll back," Orta recalled.

Garner's mother, Gwen Carr, left the courtroom crying as the video was played. Orta put his head down, visibly emotional. "

Testimony: In 2015, NYPD's Internal Affairs wanted Ofc. Pantaleo charged

image6.jpg

(Eric Garner)

Last edited:

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads