VA - Grateful Dead Fan - Social Media Push

Status
Not open for further replies.
The reason imgur worked to get a lead is because a) it's visual and b) it's social media. The more people comment, the more it grows exponentially.

Keep sharing, liking, commenting and favoriting on social media.
Not just forums. Not many people are tweeting. Let's get on it and retweet each other's stuff. Get creative with hashtags if you want.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I typed "highschool year book" into the search bar of ebay, and came up with 53,000 hits. It might be a place to look ... if you can keep from bidding against each other.

Or.... maybe the highschools have old year books in their libraries, or someone on staff might have a collection. If there is a local following this thread, perhaps they could call to find out.

I contacted Saint James Middle School, since there was someone who mentioned they thought they recognized Jason from there. I got an email address for the woman over yearbooks in all the Horry County schools. I emailed her asking about how I can get my hands on older yearbooks from the early 90's. This was her response:

"I looked through my past yearbooks and found several from the past 4-6 years since I have been in charge. I have one or two from previous years and cannot let go of them. What in particular can I help you with? G"

So I went on to explain the case and what it is we are looking for. I even included a link to the imgur posting. I haven't heard anything else back yet.

This thread has been updating like crazy! This is great!

If I missed it I apologize, but given the likeness in the images we have now I bet Myrtle Beach area or SC state news outlets would be interested in running this story. That may pop up the surname of our guy!

I emailed her asking about how I can get my hands on older yearbooks from the early 90's.

IDK if every state does this but the main library by me has old yearbooks on file. If anyone is close maybe they can call or pop in and see.

6rTVIWC.jpg

http://imgur.com/6rTVIWC

With respect to the new picture.

He has big feet, and this is SO GD.

What can we do people, come on, this boy needs a name! We need national media exposure.

WSers - who do we know from other cases that has a line on national media? We need help. I know there are famous people on here, I am having trouble remembering their usernames. We need help. I'm going to message Bessie and a few others. We need those who have been around here forever and a day. I just got online, but, I am going to work on the poster.

I have a fresh appreciation for the person who did the autopsy drawings. That must have been extremely difficult given the injuries, but, he or she did an amazing job of accurately recreating the young man's sweet face.

I've often wondered if his crooked nose was the result of the accident or if he had previously broken it. If it was from the accident, why draw it like that for the composite? Things to ponder!

The nose looks fairly straight in the UID photos.

This thread has been updating like crazy! This is great!

If I missed it I apologize, but given the likeness in the images we have now I bet Myrtle Beach area or SC state news outlets would be interested in running this story. That may pop up the surname of our guy!

IDK if every state does this but the main library by me has old yearbooks on file. If anyone is close maybe they can call or pop in and see.

I am close... the Surfside library (which I believe is actually in Saint James territory) is literally 1 block from my parents' house. I won't have time to make it there until Saturday.

I've often wondered if his crooked nose was the result of the accident or if he had previously broken it. If it was from the accident, why draw it like that for the composite? Things to ponder!

The nose looks fairly straight in the UID photos.
Any number of things could have happened between the pictures and his death unfortunately

I can barely handle all of this excitement!! Here's to hoping the dots keep being connected on this so it can finally, finally be solved! :cheer:

With respect to the new picture.

He has big feet, and this is SO GD.

What can we do people, come on, this boy needs a name! We need national media exposure.

WSers - who do we know from other cases that has a line on national media? We need help. I know there are famous people on here, I am having trouble remembering their usernames. We need help. I'm going to message Bessie and a few others. We need those who have been around here forever and a day. I just got online, but, I am going to work on the poster.

A catchy hashtag with a dedicated picture or poster and lots of posting on twitter, FB and Instagram.

Is there a grateful dead fan FB page? I'm sure there is, right? That would be a great place to post.

What about train stations, homeless shelters, soup kitchens in VA and IL? Seems he was somewhat of a traveler, I'm sure there are deadheads and kids he met up with along the way still living that lifestyle.

ETA: also contacting media outlets and crime blogs both large and small. I was in contact with a crime writer yesterday who has ties to some larger media outlets and a bit of a following. She said she was interested and to check her site in a few hours. She hasn't posted anything about it yet unfortunately. I'll keep checking.

Doesn't WS have a crime radio program? Maybe Tricia can mention it on there? Maybe a post in the jury room would get more attention over here?

It's on the FB Greatful Dead Fanpage "posts to page" but I'd message the admin of the pages to see if they'll publish the story first.

A catchy hashtag with a dedicated picture or poster and lots of posting on twitter, FB and Instagram.

Is there a grateful dead fan FB page? I'm sure there is, right? That would be a great place to post.

What about train stations, homeless shelters, soup kitchens in VA and IL? Seems he was somewhat of a traveler, I'm sure there are deadheads and kids he met up with along the way still living that lifestyle.

Working on the poster

-ideas for catchy hashtag - how about #whoami? or #whoamI? or # whoami or #Jason-who? or #doyouknowme? or #Jasonfrom1995

I am cheap labor for spreading the word via SM. I FB and I tweet. Put me to work.

Agree with Kaliste. We need a poster with the basic info, catchy hashtag, etc.

Now someone get me up to speed. I think this Jay/Jason kid is a really good possible for grateful doe based on the image and the info that Jason travelled deadhead style to catch shows all over the country. So far so good. Why the areas of Myrtle Beach, Champaign IL, etc? how do they factor in. NM off to do some backreading to see how those locations relate to Jason and or Doe.

For those wanting a quick history of Grateful Doe:

[h=1]Grateful Dead Fan Remains Nameless, 18 Years After Fatal Crash[/h] Posted: 04/25/2014 1:36 pm EDT Updated: 04/25/2014 2:59 pm ED

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/04/25/grateful-doe_n_5208512.html

I'll bump up his Namus page also.
https://identifyus.org/en/cases/6095

Also, his wiki page has been updated to show the new lead! Not sure who did that or why it was done so quickly but that's awesome.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greensville_County_John_Doe

I am cheap labor for spreading the word via SM. I FB and I tweet. Put me to work.

Agree with Kaliste. We need a poster with the basic info, catchy hashtag, etc.

Now someone get me up to speed. I think this Jay/Jason kid is a really good possible for grateful doe based on the image and the info that Jason travelled deadhead style to catch shows all over the country. So far so good. Why the areas of Myrtle Beach, Champaign IL, etc? how do they factor in. NM off to do some backreading to see how those locations relate to Jason and or Doe.

This should get you up to speed!
http://imgur.com/gallery/vfXjr/new?forcedesktop=1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members