Retrial for Sentencing of Jodi Arias - 1/9-1/12 Break

Status
Not open for further replies.
That was taken SO out of context. He was actually addressing the fact that if the witnesses refuse to testify, and they instead use video, affidavits or audio testimony- that it hurts the prosecution- in their ability to cross examine. A hit, he is apparently easily willing to take, to get this show on the road. We all know where it will lead, anyway, even if her 14... no wait 11 witnesses were willing to actually testify in person.

That made me think of Donner Party far side cartoon Donner party of 10 -9 etc. I know bad taste but it made me laugh again today.

LOL

Judge; I reread testimony. In mitigation testimony seems to have shifted to *advertiser censored*, is that the concern? #JodiArias

Judge: From #JodiArias perspective, what is the significance of this hard drive?

Judge; Juan asked Lonnie if he found *advertiser censored* and he said he did but wasn't asked to look further by defense. #jodiarias #3tvarias

Judge- There was no follow up from defense on this issue on re direct #jodiarias #3tvarias

SS hopes she'll have a decision no later than Monday. #JodiArias

ineffective consul? Scrutinized forever

If he does that this trial will never end. What would stop him from bringing every motion he's ever argued in front of this judge in to the COA? It's bizarre. I've never heard of a case being appealed before it's even finished.

It's even more ridiculous than that. If the stuff he's arguing about JA and his phantom witnesses were allowed to get DP off the table, then all future DP trials would consist of the defense issuing no subpoenas and calling no witnesses because gosh darn it they're all too skeerd so VOILA under the Laurence precedent DP is whooshed away.

Azlawyer, didn't you say at one time that if JA refused to testify, or Nurmi threatened to holdup trial by taking matter to higher court, that JSS could just continue on and put it on the record that JA refused to testify? Am I making sense? I do not see how Nurmi can keep trying his case at a higher level. Those issues should be for appeal only. Right?

Yes, she can just move forward. As I said above, he can file special actions with the Ct App, but I don't think they're going to issue any stay orders for him.

Well, it would have been nice to hear a reminder of why the DP is appropriate, since today's hearing was about removing it because of 'misconduct' that hasn't been proved. Didn't need to whip out a scale, LOL! As for the mental illness, Nurmi mentioned that a few times in this hearing, which was (again) about removing DP. What I was saying was that mentioning it in this hearing was irrelevant to removing DP and since the higher courts already ruled on the special treatment for her testimony, mentioning it in this hearing made no sense. Agree on the 'let the appeal fly', JSS obviously can't stop him, but hopefully that little attempt at bullying irritated her enough to realize what she should have been doing all along. Be a trial judge and let the higher courts worry about appeals...

No one was arguing today that the DP is not "appropriate," though, just that it has to be thrown out on a technicality.

I agree that Nurmi is taking advantage of JSS's nervousness about appeals.

I really think that is what was meant because why would they need to play secret testimony video? It would be a repeat. Juan kept saying you can use the video unless she plans to testify to something she didn't testify to in the first trial. If she doesn't want to testify anymore you can play video of her CIC testimony. Juan was saying if you do that I am taking a hit here but I don't really care.

Like AZ said, Pitts must have misunderstood what Juan was saying.

Right. The jury has already seen the secret testimony, so no need to show them video of it.

That made me think of Donner Party far side cartoon Donner party of 10 -9 etc. I know bad taste but it made me laugh again today.

LOL

Judge; I reread testimony. In mitigation testimony seems to have shifted to *advertiser censored*, is that the concern? #JodiArias

Judge: From #JodiArias perspective, what is the significance of this hard drive?

Judge; Juan asked Lonnie if he found *advertiser censored* and he said he did but wasn't asked to look further by defense. #jodiarias #3tvarias

Judge- There was no follow up from defense on this issue on re direct #jodiarias #3tvarias

SS hopes she'll have a decision no later than Monday. #JodiArias

ineffective consul? Scrutinized forever

Those were some great observations by JSS. It's basically what we've been saying all along on here. Aw shucks look at JSS, trying to win back my love. :loveyou:

I really think that is what was meant because why would they need to play secret testimony video? It would be a repeat. Juan kept saying you can use the video unless she plans to testify to something she didn't testify to in the first trial. If she doesn't want to testify anymore you can play video of her CIC testimony. Juan was saying if you do that I am taking a hit here but I don't really care.

Like AZ said, Pitts must have misunderstood what Juan was saying.
RBBM: DUH. I had a total blonde moment. Oops. :blushing:

Based on what we've seen since retrial began, I very much doubt JSS will blow past JA's refusal to testify until Nurmi's every last Hail Mary is exhausted.

I just can't see her telling the DT and JA- you refuse until the COA denies you? OK then, I'll take that as a no. Call your next witness, Nurmi.

I'm good with waiting for another COA slapdown if it comes to that. This show really is just about over.

Based on what we've seen since retrial began, I very much doubt JSS will blow past JA's refusal to testify until Nurmi's every last Hail Mary is exhausted.

I just can't see her telling the DT and JA- you refuse until the COA denies you? OK then, I'll take that as a no. Call your next witness, Nurmi.

I'm good with waiting for another COA slapdown if it comes to that. This show really is just about over.
My problem with waiting is the jury. These people were told they would need to serve until mid December. The whole DT strategy seems to be to delay until the jurors have to return to their lives, thus forcing a mistrial. That, in my very uneducated opinion, is denying the victim in this case justice. What Nurmi is doing might be legal, but it sure isn't ethical! I think it sets a dangerous mindset that this can be is an effective strategy for defense teams in the future.

Seems like this was a good day overall for those of us seeking justice for Travis. It appears JSS will deny Nurmi's motion, though I am never sure of JSS. But moving on, Nurmi sounded like a fool. He should have gone with an insanity plea during guilt phase. Instead he chose that stupid self defense, and Jodi running down hallway to grab a gun that Travis never had. Lies, all of it. He has made the public endure so much grief, not to mention what he has done to Travis' family and trashing Travis' name. So let Jodi appeal her sentence from her tiny dark cell. Who cares? It will take years. And yes Nurmi, people will be talking about your defense team for years to come, just as you predicted. "How not to try a case.".

I am thankful the SC said the transcript had to be released. I am thankful JSS allowed filming the proceedings today. Maybe that means she will grow a bit stronger by Monday and decide on all the motions before her. And lastly, I am most thankful we didn't have to endure more of ALV, Samuels, Geffner, Nemeister, and company.

Last note by BK...Nurmi says he may have to take it (upcoming JSS ruling) to a higher court, and that the decision whether she should testify again won't be made until court(s) resolve.

Is Nurmi threatening the judge? WoW!

I have blonde moments and I've been a brunette now for quite awhile!

So basically, jodi is refusing to take the stand but is holding her defense hostage until they make a way for her to get her way. Noted

Seems like this was a good day overall for those of us seeking justice for Travis. It appears JSS will deny Nurmi's motion, though I am never sure of JSS. But moving on, Nurmi sounded like a fool. He should have gone with an insanity plea during guilt phase. Instead he chose that stupid self defense, and Jodi running down hallway to grab a gun that Travis never had. Lies, all of it. He has made the public endure so much grief, not to mention what he has done to Travis' family and trashing Travis' name. So let Jodi appeal her sentence from her tiny dark cell. Who cares? It will take years. And yes Nurmi, people will be talking about your defense team for years to come, just as you predicted. "How not to try a case.".

I am thankful the SC said the transcript had to be released. I am thankful JSS allowed filming the proceedings today. Maybe that means she will grow a bit stronger by Monday and decide on all the motions before her. And lastly, I am most thankful we didn't have to endure more of ALV, Samuels, Geffner, Nemeister, and company.

He could not have gone with an insanity plea. That would have been ineffective assistance of counsel for sure. She does not even begin to show the slightest indication of being eligible for an insanity plea. For an insanity plea, you have to be unable to distinguish between right and wrong--i.e., she would have to have been unaware it was wrong to kill Travis. The cover-up both before and after the fact blow that right out of the water, not to mention her perfectly obvious ability to understand and apply logic in a variety of situations.

I have blonde moments and I've been a brunette now for quite awhile!

Sometimes, like today, I have huge blonde moments and my hair is very dark. Lol. I always tell people, I am a blonde somewhere. I shouldn't be posting when I am sick and have a fever. :facepalm:

Jan 19, 2015
My never ending trial is so degrading, but I like it. I'm famous. I love love love being famous. Those media people, not to mention the whole nation can't get enough of me, and only me, Jodi Arias, a beautiful young girl inside and out who once loved Tootsie pops, Cinnabons and Strawberry frappuccino. Today I received 4 additional marriage proposals. I'm beside myself with joy and gratitude for all these men, hopefully rich, tall, handsome, with green or blue eyes, swooning over me. No short Mexicans for me though. They are out. Never like them before, never will.
Gosh Jodi, I should be able to wear makeup. That's ok. I will just be Christ-like.

He could not have gone with an insanity plea. That would have been ineffective assistance of counsel for sure. She does not even begin to show the slightest indication of being eligible for an insanity plea. For an insanity plea, you have to be unable to distinguish between right and wrong--i.e., she would have to have been unaware it was wrong to kill Travis. The cover-up both before and after the fact blow that right out of the water, not to mention her perfectly obvious ability to understand and apply logic in a variety of situations.

I asked a few questions on the other thread that you answered here. I was wondering if she was trying to get committe to a hospital instead of prison. That is why LKN kept saying she was mentally ill.

I did not know where AZ puts those declared 'ill'. I figure she thought she would go to a hospital, maybe stay there for sme time and be let free instead of going to prison...or try and escape.
Thank you for the answer.

From AZ Central:

Tom Tingle@TomTingle2

#JodiArias looks around during Fri. hearing in her sentencing phase retrial. #Nurmi argued death should not be option pic.twitter.com/wEIrUwlsku

:eek:

B68HiiqCAAE_5cE.jpg
For someone who demands not to be shown on camera, she sure manages to look directly into said camera, each and every time she's in court. I am so sick of this killer, her defense team and their unmitigated hypocrisy.

Does anyone have a link to where we get to see Juan?

Sure would be great to see the look on JA's face when Nurmi says she's mentally ill!!

Thanks!

Great post. Thanks so much. I didn't even think of those things. It seems like with the way this trial has gone so far, that she could have claimed any defense she wanted. I mean, self defense isn't the least bit believable to me. Goodness. Defense has nothing! And yet here we are almost two years since she was found GUILTY.

AZlawyer,
by the way, is an insanity plea and a mentally ill plea one and the same?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RyanO9600