Identified! SC - Jason Patrick Callahan, Myrtle Beach, missing since 1995

Jason has kind eyes, and an adorable smile. I wish I could've known him back then. I'm also grateful I made it through several tours without something terrible happening to me. I hitchhiked, got stranded, and there were several car accidents that I was in, as a passenger. My mother called hospitals and police stations when she didn't hear from me for a while. I hope that for Jason's family closure happens sooner than expected.

I feel like I could have known him. I probably didn't but we did haunt some of the same circles, around the same time he was still in SC. I am from Columbia, but used to travel to Myrtle Beach, Charleston, Charlotte, Augusta and Atlanta to see bands. It is very possible that while I was crashing on an unknown "groupie's" floor, he may have been partying in the next room. I may have even hung out with Eric Hager. You never know. What I do know, is if he is anything like his pics, I hope he is "Rockin In Paradise".

I think it would be difficult to get LE to take a missing persons report if an adult child left voluntarily telling the parent he was going to follow the GD. Unless you could prove he was a danger to himself somehow, I don't know that LE would be interested, so I can't really blame his mom for anything in regard to filing or not filing a report, plus she wouldn't know what city he was last in since she'd had no contact from him. She might know where the GD were playing but not if he was there. After a number of years pass and no activity shows up on the person's SS# or DL# then LE might be more interested in making a report.

I think it would be difficult to get LE to take a missing persons report if an adult child left voluntarily telling the parent he was going to follow the GD. Unless you could prove he was a danger to himself somehow, I don't know that LE would be interested, so I can't really blame his mom for anything in regard to filing or not filing a report, plus she wouldn't know what city he was last in since she'd had no contact from him. She might know where the GD were playing but not if he was there. After a number of years pass and no activity shows up on the person's SS# or DL# then LE might be more interested in making a report.

Sometimes, even this doesn't matter to LE-how many times have we heard the same thing regarding a lack of interest in a missing person-almost all of whom have no activity on their SS, and have never renewed their drivers license or gotten one in another state. I don't blame his mom, either-nobody knows what kind of relationship they had, or what kind of personality her son had. Maybe he was remote, or they didn't get along, and she assumed he'd turn up when he wanted to see her, and she knew he didn't want to see her.

Yeah, he left to join a culture of the kindness of strangers and barter and odd jobs. After Jerry Garcia died, he could have easier joined the folks who followed Phish, as there was definitely a lot of cross-over. He could have been selling handmade jewelry or t-shirts or something else to get by, crashing on couches and bumming rides. It would have been very easy, and understandable to some extent, for LE to assume he was just off the grid, at least for a few years.

I find this posted message about credit to be in poor taste. It completely leaves out and discounts the work that has been done by a very thorough, devoted group of law enforcement and medical examiner staff among others this last 20 years. I dont even know what to say. JMVHO, but perhaps the issue of "credit" should be tabled.

Sorry it has taken me so long to get back here....

Alyssa posted this; while she's owned the page a long time, she has not worked it in almost a year due to her life being busy. I ran into her over a year ago when I saw her replying to comments using her husbands profile. Alyssa was added on as an admin to another type of page; they posted an image that got removed. Each admin had to read something then had to press accept then could log back in except there was a huge glitch where it was stuck in a loop. Even though I was knee deep in the Chris Sexton case, I knew I could help her out. There was no way I could turn my back on her. It took a month, but it did happen. I always follow my heart with whatever I'm involved in; my heart said to help her. Believe found me at another message board years ago; brought me over here to help on a case. Since then I follow whatever door has opened for me; both here; with cancer; running a parenting FB page then stepping out of working a few UP cases to now helping on MP cases. I've come to know Alyssa & feel she is a good hearted person but very inexperienced with MP/UP's. I can't speak for either of them but I feel that Alyssa's interview tanked due to in experience & having too much on her plate

Alyssa was living her crazy life when I texted her about Jay/Jason; she has then tried to jump into the whirl-wind that happened. Alyssa is not experienced with working with missing or unidentified; she knew how to work the FB page to get GDF's face out there. Lesha is a totally different person then Alyssa. Lesha sent GreyMetal away from the page & treated her badly. As we all know; the media interviews started; Lesha 1st, never mentioning Imgur or Reddit which ticked people off especially after the comments about how "new" GreyMetal is & how she can't solve the case. Next, Alyssa had an interview where the same thing happened. I've heard that Alyssa did try to set the IL story straight but it was not printed. I do not know

The interviews sounded like one person running the GD FB page solved this; when we all know that was not the case. GreyMetal did not want personal credit; she wanted the correct story out there & that it was a collaborated effort between everywhere.. Imgur, Reddit; WS & especially the roommates & friends that came forward; fans of the sites over the years

I believe that is why Alyssa wrote that post to make sure that everyone knew the page did not solve the case.
Yes, LE & ME have worked really hard on the case but they did not generate the tip of Jason Callahan. That my dear friend, was due to GreyMetal having time off to try the sites she knows.

Keep forgetting stuff... Editing to add that we all have to remember that Alyssa is hearing one side of the story; Lesha's side. I do want to speak to her at one point to explain everything as a neutral party. I try to be fair with things I read. Alyssa has been my friend for a year; I'm FB friends with Lesha; know her from the event; it is because of my personal experience that I felt I could send GreyMetal there to work as a team. I can't convey how horrible I've felt & do feel for a knife being put in her back. So very blessed to have met such a wonderful & gracious gal! I'm not just saying it either; she really has been very gracious about the events that happened.

Grateful Doe posted - January 15 at 2:14am
Latest news coverage of the Grateful Doe case, this one aired Wednesday night on WPDE NewsChannel 15 in Myrtle Beach, South Carolina.

What this news clip failed to mention was that Facebook did not solve this case. The admins of this page did not solve this case. We've done what can, but we just happen to run a Facebook page. Dozens of others have spent countless hours working on this case on WebSleuths, and spreading word on Imgur, Reddit, and the PT forum, among other sites.

If/when Grateful Doe is identified, it will be because of a collaborative effort of many, many, people over the last 20 years. You all know you are. smile emoticon The case finally reached the right people. And if anyone is to be given credit for solving the case, it should me Micah, Steve, Isaac, Mark, and Jason's mom for coming forward with the information they have that will hopefully lead to giving him back his name. Thank you all for what you have done. - A
Myrtle Beach police opening investigation into "Grateful Doe"

I get what you are saying, but I really think "credit" is the wrong approach. It has taken a village and it can happen again. People with cold MP cases in their lives can find a place, like this one, like FB, like reddit, like imugr, where they can get their story told and have a dozen, a hundred, a thousand people willing to help. And eventually it can lead to a resolution.

Once Jason is ruled in/out against GDD, the story becomes the family's to tell. That's when the loved ones get to decide what they want to know and what they want to share about all of it. And part of that decision making will be what they want to share with all of us. jmvho.

Unfortunately; WS only takes cases where an MP report has been filed. My friend DaisyTrail's daughter has been missing since Aug 2013; a post was made for her daughter & is now locked. She's been entered in NamUs; we're waiting on Michael Nance to deal with Dallas LE; it's 2 weeks today since he submitted a request for the MP report.

This is not at all comparable to having a loved one go missing, but my dog was stolen by an acquaintance about 2 years ago (I got her back myself, it's a long, weird story), and I tried several times to make a police report and they just asked me how much money the dog was worth. The adoption fee was $150, but she's my dog, a family member, or at least, a living creature with legal rights to good welfare who's legally owned and licensed by me as well. When I said $150, they seemed even more dumbfounded that I was even calling this in. I know the dog is technically property, but come on, what kind of person steals a dog?? The police said they would send someone over to the place where this woman worked. According to her, the police did show up at her workplace, but lied to them about the situation (even though my dog has a microchip and license with photographic records, both traceable to me), and they apparently took her word for it and never followed up with me. I called several times and it was even worse than being ignored, in a way, because each time they said they would do something about it but apparently never did, and never got back to me. I'm not bashing LE whatsoever, I just sympathize with those who try to make an MP report because I can see how LE might not take into account the knowledge or even proof that family and friends might have as to why the missing person is most likely in danger. They may not ever hear it, because the person may be dismissed altogether, or passed around from one officer or administrator to another, having to start their story over each time, and wasting time waiting because they think something is being done, meanwhile the LE officials have more or less dismissed the report and will not be following up.
Had I not very quickly found and confronted the person myself, she would've sold my dog, or worse. When officers seemed dismissive and responded to me as if I was crazy, I was still respectful to them but inside I was furious and very intimidated at the same time, feeling stupid for asking for help even though I should not have had to solve the problem myself because it could have been dangerous, for both me and the dog. Also because they didn't hear my story, they didn't know the situation could be dangerous.
Anyway, just my :twocents:. I empathize with all those who have needed to report someone missing. I'm starting a second bachelor's degree program in Nursing in a week, and I want to become a forensic nurse, and hopefully advocate and find LE and legal help for those who've been harmed, or whose loved ones are in danger. :hug:

I don't find your post in anyway trivializes the need for LE to take more seriously the reports of family and friends concerning the missing. My beloved husky-shepherd cross died last year and I still grieve his loss because I had owned him for 15 years. He was truly a therapeutic animal for me and I grieve him still. His loss was yet an additional blow to me.

Unfortunately; WS only takes cases where an MP report has been filed. My friend DaisyTrail's daughter has been missing since Aug 2013; a post was made for her daughter & is now locked. She's been entered in NamUs; we're waiting on Michael Nance to deal with Dallas LE; it's 2 weeks today since he submitted a request for the MP report.

Thank you for mentioning my beloved daughter Daisy Suzanna (Mystique). It is so hard waiting for the formal report. I know she is missing and I do not believe her to be a voluntary missing.

Does anyone else find it strange that no one has looked for Jason Callahan or no other information has come forward from anyone that must have known him 20-25 years ago? There must have been other friends or teachers or other adults who he had some sort of relationship with that must have wondered what had become of him, right?

Does anyone else find it strange that no one has looked for Jason Callahan or no other information has come forward from anyone that must have known him 20-25 years ago? There must have been other friends or teachers or other adults who he had some sort of relationship with that must have wondered what had become of him, right?

It was different then, he probably never had email or a cell phone, no facebook, no Twitter... People came and went, some never heard from again, he seemed pretty transient. No doubt people will have wondered when reminiscing with friends, but beyond casual conversation it won't have gone any further.

I am, however, surprised the 2 Carolines have not yet come forward.

It was different then, he probably never had email or a cell phone, no facebook, no Twitter... People came and went, some never heard from again, he seemed pretty transient. No doubt people will have wondered when reminiscing with friends, but beyond casual conversation it won't have gone any further.

I am, however, surprised the 2 Carolines have not yet come forward.

That's assuming they have seen this case. Even if they did see it; chances are that was not their real name or number. People would get pissed off.

People are coming forward on the GD FB page. One lady said Eric's (the driver) mom has searched for GDF's name.

I mentioned earlier about wondering where Jason's old friends are now. You'd think someone from his past would have come across this story. Wouldn't his mom and brother be talking about it to people they know? It's just strange that there has been no one from his past (in SC) popping up.

I mentioned earlier about wondering where Jason's old friends are now. You'd think someone from his past would have come across this story. Wouldn't his mom and brother be talking about it to people they know? It's just strange that there has been no one from his past (in SC) popping up.
There have been lots of people from his past who have popped up. Not only the roommates in two states, his step-brother, his mother, but people who went to school with him.

There have been lots of people from his past who have popped up. Not only the roommates in two states, his step-brother, his mother, but people who went to school with him.

I haven't seen any comments from people who went to school with him other than people who found him in their yearbooks but otherwise had no idea who he was.

Where did you see them? I only saw the one post from his mother on the GD fb page that for deleted for obvious reasons and people who went to school with him but didn't really know him. I would like to see friends who missed him and really knew him. I didn't see the step-brother post/comment but I've also had a lot of stuff going on in my life and haven't been paying as close attention as I was a couple weeks ago.

I haven't seen any comments from people who went to school with him other than people who found him in their yearbooks but otherwise had no idea who he was.

Which makes all the sense in the world. People saw him everyday and had no idea who Jason was, which suggests he probably kept to himself and didn't maintain a large circle of friends and acquaintances. This just helps to explain how it is that this mystery has continued on for so long; nothing malicious, and not due to any lack of love of caring; the type of person Jason was just happened to be conducive to it unfortunately being very easy for him to disappear.

You have to remember too, that when he left to follow the tour, he was only 18. So anyone who knew him probably knew him as a kid. Nobody just assumes that some kid they knew back in the day might be missing just because they haven't heard from them. Even with facebook and social media, there are plenty of people I knew in school or just general acquaintances or friends I had that I have not heard from since I was 18ish. I haven't really looked for any of them and I certainly haven't reported them missing or anything. Sometimes people just lose contact. They move away, stop hanging out in certain places, get a different job, or what have you.

You have to remember too, that when he left to follow the tour, he was only 18. So anyone who knew him probably knew him as a kid. Nobody just assumes that some kid they knew back in the day might be missing just because they haven't heard from them. Even with facebook and social media, there are plenty of people I knew in school or just general acquaintances or friends I had that I have not heard from since I was 18ish. I haven't really looked for any of them and I certainly haven't reported them missing or anything. Sometimes people just lose contact. They move away, stop hanging out in certain places, get a different job, or what have you.
I wasn't talking about reporting him missing. I'm thinking about people from his past seeing his pictures pop up now. I just want to hear some stories about what he was like, what he did as a kid, who he was. He had to have friends that would share his stories, so where are they? I imagine the town he grew up in is buzzing with this news so it's not like his friends wouldn't hear about it. Its not an important piece of the puzzle really, just something I personally would like to see happen.

I keep coming back and checking for updates even though I know it's too soon!

And I did see a girl who posted she went to school with him talk about how he was always pushing his glasses up on his nose, and said it was so cute. But I imagine a lot of people have lost touch with each other over the past twenty years and may not be aware of these developments. Hopefully we will find out more about Jason as the story continues to unfold.

ETA: he also may have been more introverted and didn't open up to be his obviously fun loving self that we see in the pictures until he found a group he felt comfortable in.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mona Lisa
Back