VERDICT WATCH - Sentencing of Jodi Arias - Break 2/27 thru 3/2

Status
Not open for further replies.
No, their job is to deliberate. Think about it. They were first told the retrial would be over in mid-December. It's almost March. They were provided a one week review of the first trial waaaaay back in October. Many posters here have forgotten what was covered in that week it was so long ago. Why would the jury be expected to not only remember, but to agree on what 12 jurors may have heard or remembered differently?

And that was the last normal week of this thing until a few weeks ago. They saw the defendant appear on the stand in an empty courtroom, start to tell a story, then came back the next day after a lunchbreak to find her off the stand, the room full again, all without any explanation whatsoever. They STILL don't know what happened on that one. I bet most if not all expected to see her back again and are baffled why she poofed, mid-story.

Think about what they must make of the weeks and weeks and weeks of computer *advertiser censored* stuff. I mean, WTH. We could barely make sense of it or why it was allowed to go on and on, and again, they didn't and don't yet have any context for that. Only guesses.

Toss in weeks and weeks of psych experts talking about tests and diagnoses and diagnostic impressions,and the hints and suggestions made by both the DT and State to investigate or discuss. And not least, consider that they have to sort out lies and maybe not lies by JA- on the stand, in prior testimony, in her journals, and in every communication she had with Travis.

Time consuming, all of it. And their responsibility to sort it out enough to understand the mitigators, decide individually and and as a group if they're mitigating, and reach a decision.

Like premeditation, deliberation doesn't have a time minimum.

The jury was seeing and hearing the evidence and testimony presented -- with all the dynamic nuances -- as we were reduced to reading short snippets [mis-]communicating an imperfect shadow-smidgen of same. But it all added up to the same thing which JM hammered home.

He told the jury plainly what they can all see for themselves: not one of the nine stated mitigation factors was met.

There is no mitigation. JM told them so with the truth, and the Defense told them so with lies. By her own admission LKN even explained to JA that she has no mitigators.

To the contrary, by waging war on her victim, she engaged in a campaign of anti-mitigation against her own case.

Even with 140-character tweets any thinking person could see it. Think about it. After slaughtering an undeserving man three times over, she then branded him a pedophile and violent domestic abuser using the fraudulent affidavit of an absent liar.

Mitigation?

Instead of proving mitigation, she actually compounded her especially cruel aggravator!

Those autopsy photos aren't going to change in an hour, a day, a week, or five months.

JM charged the jury as the judge and the law do: The jurors agreed that absent mitigation they could render a just verdict of death. That's how they made the cut.

I will concede that this judge did little to aid them in the faithful performance of their duty. But discharge it they must. The jury must render the just verdict they said they could and would.

The silver lining on the length of jury deliberations to date is that they don't yet appear to have an intractable foreman.

We have no way of knowing today precisely what they're doing or how they're doing it. But they're whiling away the hours somehow. I, for one, hope they aren't larking around for non-existent mitigation. That's what gave the previous foreman the cover he sought to derail justice.

Their civic duty includes no obligation to engage in lengthy deliberations for deliberation's sake.

They should punch her ticket and sleep peacefully.

I think this case would naturally and normally end up with a life sentence. I think there was absolutely a way to present the mitigation phase so that a life sentence would have been the result. But I think the pedo lie, the child *advertiser censored* lie, the suggestions that even adult *advertiser censored* and sex in general are deviant and disgusting, the rude and insanely biased experts, the failure to present any explanation whatsoever for the murder consistent with premeditation (which the jury was told to accept as true), and Jodi's utter inability to express any remorse whatsoever now make death the more likely result.

BBM:

Thank goodness you didn't release that information to them (on here) when you told us this. I can't wait to see what your thoughts were concerning the way though. You will share that nugget with us after the dust settles... correct?

I hope the jurors don't start thinking that the Alexanders are there to influence/manipulate their verdict though. That could be bad
I thought, possibly incorrectly, that at FIRST the family gathered and tried to enter the courtroom and were locked out. Therefore, maybe they took seats outside in the hall. I hope so anyway. And, I agree I hope not to influence or we will see another motion of KN. Oh, wait, Juan had just met with them also in the victim room and laughs were heard. Humm..I don't know. Maybe, they simple stayed to the end (until Jurors left). And, they never expected that the jurors would have come out the door they did. Because, I thought I read somewhere the come and go in "secret". Didn't the first jury do that. ACK!

Their last break could have been a sign of a 10-2 vote. 10 went to break together and 2 stayed behind. If memory serves correctly there are only three smokers on jury. Another long weekend for the Alexander's. God give them strength. The waiting is so stressful, I've been there.

I think that is a good guess.

I've been saying for quite some time that I think it would be 2 or 3 that when it came to actually signing a DP form, they would struggle with it.

I think when the jury vetting process begins at the beginning, a lot of people think they can be on a DP case, but when reality hits them at the very end and they are forced to sign a form, that they begin to struggle with the decision.

Im not sure that is what is even happening, but I have felt that would happen and I think it is quite common on a DP case.

My hope would be for the courts to do a more thorough job up front vetting out the jurors. I think the process needs to change to really make sure people understand what they are being asked to do. Give the people a real understanding of the reality of it and make sure they are still ok with being a juror.

Based on what I have seen in other trials, I think that vetting process is just too brief and not enough is done to make sure the jurors are going to be comfortable with the DP decision if that is what they end up deciding.

I would go as far as guessing some jurors in past DP cases get to the very end and they look for "excuses" as to why they are not voting for DP, when the real reason is they are getting cold feet at the end.

I think what is needed is once they have their jury pool in the beginning, then I think a final extra step is needed where a phsychologist or some other professional comes in and meets with each one of them privately to make sure they really understand what they may end up being asked to do. Something like that may improve the process.

All JMO.

I think this case would naturally and normally end up with a life sentence. I think there was absolutely a way to present the mitigation phase so that a life sentence would have been the result. But I think the pedo lie, the child *advertiser censored* lie, the suggestions that even adult *advertiser censored* and sex in general are deviant and disgusting, the rude and insanely biased experts, the failure to present any explanation whatsoever for the murder consistent with premeditation (which the jury was told to accept as true), and Jodi's utter inability to express any remorse whatsoever now make death the more likely result.

BBM

I think that likely result is inversely proportional to the time it takes the jury to reach a decision.

But I'd love to be wrong.

Thoughts?

Let's do this again. We are not going to bash the jurors, PERIOD!!!!! We can express our dismay. We can discuss how we wish things were moving along more swiftly but we are going to do it respectfully. We also are not going to criticize other posters. Posters get frustrated BUT they do know the rules. So discuss away but be respectful.

The Alexander's want what we all want but they don't want the jury rushing just to get a verdict that they did not fairly deliberate over. How do I know? Because the Alexander's are a class act having dealt with all that defense just dished out at them and they have maintained their dignity. I hope they find peace with whatever the jury decides.

Okay folks, we are not going to bash the jury. They have a job to do. Five months for this case to get to this point. They are doing what they are suppose to do, not what everyone else thinks they should do.

Ever stop to think they might all agree but feel they need to justify their decision so they ALL feel better about their verdict. Nurmi did a job on them. They deserve to say we as a united group feel this is a just verdict for what she has done and what she continues to do today. No remorse is a big issue. It stands out like a sore thumb. She clearly can not hide the fact that she is not remorseful right down to the very last word that her attorney spoke to save her life while still trying to destroy Travis' reputation. She can't help herself.

Let's give this jury the room they need to finish their job.

Thank you, Lambie. I can :eek:fftobed:

He told the jury plainly what they can all see for themselves: not one of the nine stated mitigation factors was met...... There is no mitigation. JM told them so with the truth, and the Defense told them so with lies. .....

You think that. I think that. The 12 jurors who make the decision didn't walk back into the jury room "knowing" that. They are obligated to discuss each mitigator, discuss if the DT met its burden of proof, and then to decide individually if any of them find mitigation here there or anywhere. Sorry, but that doesn't make for instant decisions.

Those autopsy photos aren't going to change in an hour, a day, a week, or five months.

No they are not. The aggravator remains the aggravator no matter what the jury makes of it. But here too their instructions are explicit. Reality is any of them can decide that she's a mentally ill waif and deserves mercy and that's that. Mitigation established.

JM charged the jury as the judge and the law do: The jurors agreed that absent mitigation they could render a just verdict of death. That's how they made the cut.

And, five months on, I very much doubt any of them are prolonging their time together just for the heck of it, or because they haven't had their fill of this case yet.

2/26/2015 012 - ME: Trial - Party (001) 2/26/2015
2/25/2015 012 - ME: Trial - Party (001) 2/25/2015
2/25/2015 012 - ME: Trial - Party (001) 2/25/2015
2/24/2015 SDD - Notice: Sealed Document - Party (001) 2/26/2015
NOTE: NOTICE OF FILING DOCUMENTS RELATED TO SEALED BENCH CONFERENCE BEING LEAKED VIA TWITTER
NOTE: GENERAL AFFIDAVIT
NOTE: SUPPLEMENTAL NOTICE OF FILING OFFER OF PROOF REGARDING MS. ARIAS' TESTIMONY

https://www.superiorcourt.maricopa....rtCases/caseInfo.asp?caseNumber=CR2008-031021

I honestly thought I wouldn't check the docket again, well, I lied to myself, darn.

Also I remember this week one of the media repeating via twitter what was said during a sidebar. Is that it? The Jodi entry, is that her testimony from Oct.? Or one of the sealed letters to JSS she wasn't going to read but just seal?

I am taking the jurors cue and taking the weekend off (I hope). I need a break am burned out..Plus, I never got caught up today..lmao. We have heard it all and now it is what it is (as my Mom would say)
Everyone have a nice weekend. See ya Monday.

Today made me want to head into (almost) downtown Austin to visit...

tcplogo_S.gif

http://www.txchiliparlor.com/webdev/tcp-menu

https://www.superiorcourt.maricopa....rtCases/caseInfo.asp?caseNumber=CR2008-031021

I honestly thought I wouldn't check the docket again, well, I lied to myself, darn.

Also I remember this week one of the media repeating via twitter what was said during a sidebar. Is that it? The Jodi entry, is that her testimony from Oct.? Or one of the sealed letters to JSS she wasn't going to read but just seal?

Recently they forgot to mute the sidebar sound in the overflow room. Some of the content of the discussion was posted, but it didn't seem like anything to make a fuss over, to me. Could that be what was "sealed"?

NOTE: SUPPLEMENTAL NOTICE OF FILING OFFER OF PROOF REGARDING MS. ARIAS' TESTIMONY

What does that mean?

Hatfield, did you notice the important word "type"? There have been many comments along the lines of no big deal to give Arias the DP. I'm not going to do the homework for you, you can read back and find comments of this "type" all along the way.

Well, here's one right here: I would have given CMJA the DP today. I have read every single day and only read tweets. The jury has heard more than we have heard in this phase, yet all I need is seeing the autopsy photos and Juan's side of the case to give her death.

This is my opinion and I do not apologize for it just as I do not apologize for my opinion that this penalty phase was a circus. It did not have to be and the judge could have prevented the case straying into the weeds for weeks on end.

I also think the jury should be deliberating on Friday. The courthouse is open, the judge is there, and all of the attorneys are a short distance away. The Alexander family is in from out of state. Show them some consideration. Their wait is agony.

This is the way I feel. If there is one single juror who feels they cannot impose the death penalty, then he or she should have spoken up and not been on this jury. I just do not see how anyone can think CMJA doesn't deserve the DP. How can anyone sit there and listen to all they have listened to and looked at Travis' autopsy photos and not know what to do already?

Again, my opinion only and my thoughts. Not one person has to agree with me. For the record; I am a 64 year old woman and my age has nothing to do with it. Some say older people are loathe to impose the DP. Not me.

MOO

ETA: I think my post has not been antagonistic and hopefully will not be deleted. All I am doing is stating my honest opinion.

BBM:

Thank goodness you didn't release that information to them (on here) when you told us this. I can't wait to see what your thoughts were concerning the way though. You will share that nugget with us after the dust settles... correct?

:) It didn't happen.

Food for thought:

"Some people would say a short deliberation time means a guilty verdict and a longer deliberation means the jury, or at least one juror, thinks the defendant is not guilty. But take a look at how long it took jurors to decide these cases:

Casey Anthony was acquitted of first-degree murder in the death of her two-year-old daughter, Caylee. The jury deliberated ten hours and 40 minutes.

In 1995, O.J. Simpson was acquitted of two counts of murder in the deaths of his wife, Nicole Brown Simpson and her friend Ronald Goldman. Jurors deliberated for less than four hours.

Jurors from the second Phil Spector trial deliberated for 30 hours and convicted him of second-degree murder in the death of Lana Clarkson.

After 35 hours of deliberations, stretched out over nine days, jurors acquitted Robert Blake of first-degree murder in his wife's death.

Scott Peterson was convicted of first-degree and second-degree murder for killing his wife and their unborn child. The jury deliberated for seven days.

After four days of deliberations, the Menendez brothers were convicted of two counts of first-degree murder for killing their parents.

Steven Hayes was convicted of capital murder in the deaths of three members of the Petit family. The jury deliberated four hours."

http://www.hlntv.com/slideshow/2011/10/31/famous-past-trial-deliberations

Whenever I try to understand what they mean, I get confused even at the title of them. LOL

This is what scares me the most though. More DT shenanigans.

The quicker the verdict comes in, the less chance the DT has to create some more false allegations. Hopefully anything the DT comes up with over the weekend will be promptly rejected.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Soccergirl500