VERDICT WATCH - Sentencing of Jodi Arias - Retrial Day 43

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have mixed feelings regarding DP vs LWOP for CMJA. I just want her put away. After reading about KCL's nightmare with having to attend years of the Appeals hearings, I don't wish that upon the Alexanders. I am grateful that both the shooter and accomplice in my brother's murder got LWOP and received consecutive life sentences. The shooter got one appeal and lost and we didn't go to court. It was dealt with swiftly and definitively. I have never seen them again in 32 years. There is something to be said for that. IMO

From News20:
Tammy Rose ‏@News20Chopper · 6m6 minutes ago

Two more jurors, men walk in to start deliberating. They gave me a friendly smile. #JodiArias

LOL.. I meant an app or site that will be okay for mobile access. But If I could leave work, I would be hankered down and B and N.

Lol, I'm pretty spaceY! Speed reading this thread On my iphone!

Lambchop, ITA about taxpayers having to pay to watch justice being served. They have paid enough convicting and punishing this person.

Can anyone explain the whole BMW thing to me. I know she ruined it while towing it and was supposed to pay him for it, but how significant is this to the murder?

In Shanna Hogan's book, TA's neighbor, DP, says Travis told him that JA made a foolish error with the BMW, it was further confirmation she was nothing but trouble and that she wouldn't be back in the neighborhood.

In the police interrogation, JA says she goes on about how they had a contract so she paid it back, they were working with lawyers, and that after people told her TA died, she "I e-mailed his sister, Tanisha, on MySpace, and I was like, just sent her my condolences and the next paragraph I was like you know, it’s really hard but I owe Travis this amount of money and I know that at one point I’ll need to settle this debt".

Beyond the weirdness of sending a condolence message to your victim's family, why would she have mentioned the debt?

Why did TA call lawyers? Did he have to force her to pay?

I have mixed feelings regarding DP vs LWOP for CMJA. I just want her put away. After reading about KCL's nightmare with having to attend years of the Appeals hearings, I don't wish that upon the Alexanders. I am grateful that both the shooter and accomplice in my brother's murder got LWOP and received consecutive life sentences. The shooter got one appeal and lost and we didn't go to court. It was dealt with swiftly and definitively. I have never seen them again in 32 years. There is something to be said for that. IMO

Wow, this is a good point. Thank you for bringing it up. The poor Aleanders would have to sit through so much more. I'm so sorry for your loss :(

Can you imagine Jodi actually working, as she'll be required to do if she's LWOP? She's never held a consistent job in her life! Now she's going to crank out 40 hour weeks at $.10 an hour and do that meekly? And it might be swabbing toilets instead of waiting on flirty customers. Boohoo! How will she ever survive, the poor widdle thing? This is going to be a big adjustment for the the gold digger; I'm hoping the other prisoners are going to take full advantage of her arrogance about work. Payback! I see sabotage in the making: hanging out with other stellar manipulators is going to give her a primo life.....

I'm loving how people are taking the fog as a sign for justice :great:

Not really. She only gets one appeal if she gets death. If it is life she has to earn them. There will not be any more attention for her. This is the big one. The guilt and sentencing phase stretched out over 7 years. Once this part is complete and over she is done. She will not be seen on TV. She will not be giving interviews. She will fade and her limelight will go out. She will have to fight dang hard to get an appeal and she will not get it. As much as I don't love JSS handling of this phase, She has made it impossible by giving the DT nearly everything she wanted .

The difference is that there is no question here who did it. She admitted it and it is a completely different case.

Once this part is done, Other than the fanfare over the verdict, She is gone.

She gets one free appeal either way and does not have to earn the right to appeal.

If it would have been broadcast no one would have had rights to it, it would have been on public tv and that would have been that. T

The broadcaster would still have owned the rights to the video even if it had been broadcast on public TV.

Wow, Zuri, so sorry for your loss and so glad your family was able to have some closure in the way things weNt.

IMO - this trial would not have been so costly if they had gotten to it a little quicker. This just gave the murderer time to come up with crazy stories, with nothing to do but think about how to trash the victim during all this time. I think this is why we need speedy trials. We shouldn't give murderers the time or opportunity to come up with new material.

Wow, Zuri, so sorry for your loss and so glad your family was able to have some closure in the way things played out. The groundhog day of this nightmare for the Alexanders is excruciating to witness. I can only imagine the pain you and your family experienCed.

Good Morning:seeya:
I tell ya, if these snow storms don't stop soon I am going to start screaming!!
2-4 inches this pm thru overnight..and 5-9 tomorrow night...

And I'm going to start screaming with you. I am soooo sick of snow, sleet and ice storms every few days. We're getting more snow tonight and then 3-6 on Thursday. I have a steep 300' driveway and it's horrible in this weather.

I have a nephew that looks a lot like Travis . . . :tears:

[video=youtube;HPfG728ymxc]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HPfG728ymxc[/video]

Thank you for sharing... My first boyfriend looked just like Travis, and had a very similar personality too. I think that's why this trial first caught my attention. I hope more people were blessed to know someone like Travis, and fortunate enough not to know someone like Jodi...

She gets one free appeal either way and does not have to earn the right to appeal.

The broadcaster would still have owned the rights to the video even if it had been broadcast on public TV.

Maybe people are misunderstanding my word EARN, I don't mean she has to do anything for it. I mean that while she gets that one free one, she has to have real issues to appeal on after that and the funds to do it. I don't mean earn as in she can do anything to get an appeal. Am I making any more sense?

As Hayden points out, though, this is where all women max prisoners go, life or death. Because there are only 2 DPers, their cells are in the same unit. It's just that their privileges are different.

I believe Hayden is wrong, though, in thinking that max prisoners can have art supplies soon after they get to Perryville. Per prison regulations, it looks to me as though it would take some years before a Max-er would be eligible for said supplies and a long time after that before they would be eligible for stuff like oils and watercolors. I'm betting Jodi would have to demonstrate a dramatic decrease in manipulative behavior before earning some upward mobility. And you just know the other inmates (Big Bertha et al.) are going to be very enthusiastic about bringing her down a few pegs if she tries to manipulate them: this will present a big hurdle for her if she wants to move up her ladder and get more privileges.

Here are the regs. They make fascinating reading.

https://corrections.az.gov/sites/default/files/guidebook_2013_inter.pdf

Thanks! My error--I thought Death Row was separate.

I am saddened to see when the subject comes up about the death penalty being costly... as if that is an excuse not to implement the death penalty or ask for it in death penalty qualified cases.....such as this one.

First, Arizona is a death penalty state, and the majority of citizens are for the death penalty or they would have advised the lawmakers they are against it by now.

Every year funds are set aside for death penalty cases when the budget is calculated in each local jurisdiction and agreed upon. If we were to divide the total cost amount by the millions of taxpayers living there the single amount paid out by each one would be very minimal. Less than a cost of a new outfit for some or even one piece of clothing.

There should never be a price tag on justice. Not many cases are DP cases when compared to all that are tried, but when they are... they are death penalty cases for a reason.

When Lynn Turner's death penalty case was tried in Georgia it cost more than the Arizona taxpayers have spent on this case. She, rightly, was given death.

She saved the state execution expenses by committing suicide while housed on death row.

IMO

I agree with this.

IMOO, the cost is never too high when it could save a life in the long run.

I feel that if funds are tight for fighting crime, the sentences for non violent criminals should be adjusted to compensate.

I also think it's unfair that someone incarcerated for a non violent crime may be subject to those that have committed such heinous crimes.

Whether JA gets death or not, it doesn't seem right to me that she be allowed in general population. JMO

Wow, this is a good point. Thank you for bringing it up. The poor Aleanders would have to sit through so much more. I'm so sorry for your loss :(

Wow, Zuri, so sorry for your poss and so glad your family was able to have some closure in the way things we t.

Thanks to you both and the rest of you here. This is the only place where I ever mention my brother's murder. I don't speak of it in my daily life. You all are the kindest, most compassionate people I have never had the pleasure of meeting. Xo

And I'm going to start screaming with you. I am soooo sick of snow, sleet and ice storms every few days. We're getting more snow tonight and then 3-6 on Thursday. I have a steep 300' driveway and it's horrible in this weather.

It's been snowing steadily since 7:30 in metro Detroit. As temps warm up this afternoon, we'll see sleet, freezing rain, rain. Foggy, too.

Shortly after they began deliberations it was reported they asked 4 questions;
1) Can a deliberating juror switch places with alternate juror#2?
2) Can they individually and silently review their notes during breaks or can they only do that when in session?
3) Is it Ok to have a working lunch if everyone is present?
4) Can they get a copy of the exhibit list?

Many thanks! Those are some very interesting questions-gives me optimism this jury is taking their civic duty VERY seriously indeed!

Although I believe the killer deserves the DP maybe more than almost any killer I've followed, if this jury came to the unanimous decision that LIFE is what they all felt in their hearts she deserved, I would accept their decision. (What other option would I have, after all?)

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member