WA - Unidentified Male: "Lyle Stevik", Grays Harbor, 17 Sept 2001 - #4

Status
Not open for further replies.
There is nothing that suggests this isn't the same person.

In the face, I agree with you, they are remarkably similar, even the eyebrows.

However, Nicky's hair is a lighter brown - that photo shows him with darker hair but another has traces of blond in it, and another German-language site gives his height as 1.78m (5'10"), so quite a bit shorter than Lyle was measured at. That doesn't necessarily mean a rule-out but he's less strong as a candidate for a match than he might otherwise have been.

Perhaps the right ear was the one his body was leaning his weight onto against the closet wall when they discovered his corpse and rigor mortis had caused it to remain pressed back slightly?

Also, since this mortuary picture has been taken lying down (I assume) then gravity may have had some type of effect on the features of the deceased (and possibly on any other PM pics of other Does too).
Please also consider that the photo of Ilija and that of Lyle have probably at least a 15+ year age difference between them and, as some of us are aware, a lot can change in 15 years.
I have sent the Croation website a message in Google translate's version of the Croatian language including the Doenetwork link to Lyle's entry and a reference to this portion of the Websleuths forum.
Who knows?

In the face, I agree with you, they are remarkably similar, even the eyebrows.

However, Nicky's hair is a lighter brown - that photo shows him with darker hair but another has traces of blond in it, and another German-language site gives his height as 1.78m (5'10"), so quite a bit shorter than Lyle was measured at. That doesn't necessarily mean a rule-out but he's less strong as a candidate for a match than he might otherwise have been.

The sticking point primarily was that there was no proof Nicky left Germany or entered the USA (at least using his own name).

Lyle is now on the front of Reddit's /r/Wikipedia page, since yesterday and counting. I will have the screenshot later (not allowed to link to Reddit) since I'm posting from my iPad.

My eye is trained in art, not forensics.... but if Lyle is not Ilija, then I'd better look for a new career!

Has this been turned in here in the U.S. yet?

I really don't think the clerk would have mistaken a Croatian accent for a slight Canadian one.

That's the issue I'm having with this match too, carbuff. But dang if the resemblance is amazing!!

accent could depend on what and how much he said. i have a neighbor who is french and you wouldn't pick it up in a quick conversation because he talks very quietly. it's not until you get into a long conversation with him that you realize he has a very marked french accent. just my 2 cents that at this point thinking outside the box is probably the only way to solve this. the croatian guy looks remarkably like lyle.

accent could depend on what and how much he said. i have a neighbor who is french and you wouldn't pick it up in a quick conversation because he talks very quietly. it's not until you get into a long conversation with him that you realize he has a very marked french accent. just my 2 cents that at this point thinking outside the box is probably the only way to solve this. the croatian guy looks remarkably like lyle.
I agree.

My son's fiance is British but has been in the states a little over 5 yrs and she has almost not accent now.

This is my first time posting, but I've been lurking WS forums for a while and Lyle has always been a case that stuck with me. This Ilija bears such a striking resemblance to him, the most out of any of the men I've seen submitted as a possible. I really hope this is him.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is my first time posting, but I've been lurking WS forums for a while and Lyle has always been a case that stuck with me. This Ilija bears such a striking resemblance to him, the most out of any of the men I've seen submitted as a possible. I really hope this is him.

Welcome to Ws. HeinzDoofenshmirtz, nice (evil-genius) moniker!
Glad you decided to join the conversation here!

Welcome to Ws. HeinzDoofenshmirtz, nice (evil-genius) moniker!
Glad you decided to join the conversation here!

I just figured it would be easier to join in order to keep up, and maybe throw in my two cents every now and again. :)

Out of curiosity, has anyone asked CarlK to look at the photos of "Lyle" and Ilija?

Just as a heads up for those who are in the FB group - from now on I will be doing profile checks on requests (and co-admins, I recommend this as well) due to the occasional spammer (yes, unfortunately). I don't want to sound invasive, but I want to spot the genuine from the shameless.

If anyone needs help with translating Croatian I can definitely help out! I might need my mum for a few words though

So far what has been translated for Ilija is correct.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OccasionalMallard