Discussions on Formal Sentencing Hearing - Jodi Arias #6

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here's a link on preparing a presentence report in AZ. I can see why she didn't bother if it includes statements from the victim's family. I think it's just a way to try to get a sentence that will include probation at some point?

http://www.nolo.com/legal-encyclopedia/your-presentence-report-how-improve-it.html

I'm no AZL, but I think JA declined the pre-sentencing report (psych state; ability to adjust to prison; etc.) ... JA still retains the right to get up in front of the judge at sentencing and plead her 'case' for LWP. That's my understanding, at least. AZL commented on it at the time, but I don't have time to find her post.

I know Paul Sanders said differently in his interview with Trish; IMO, he got this wrong.

I am hopelessly behind here and this has probably been discussed further. I understood this to be that she only declined her pre-sentencing interview not the whole report. It sounded to me that the report will happen with our without her cooperation and she's decided not to cooperate by not doing the interview.

I've read everything I could find regarding juror #17, and enjoyed the numerous opinions here. While I don't know what went on in that deliberation room nor what was in her heart and mind, I do find several things odd.

During voir dire she stated she could give the death penalty. What evidence did she see/hear to change her mind - the autopsy photos, the incessant lies, the DT witnesses?

She stated the killer was not the monster the LMN movie portrayed her as. What did she see/hear that actually caused her opinion of the killer to improve?

Why did she claim the 11 harangued her yet she accused them of using the DP for revenge?

Were all her questionable SM likes and visits purely coincidental and innocent? What are the odds?

Why didn't she fully disclose her husbands' criminal records? Why didn't she raise her hand when asked if she knew any of the court officers?

Why did her husband offer her story to the media for a fee, instead of granting an interview?

I don't question these things because of the verdict because I'm satisfied LWOP will be a horrible existence for decades to come. I'm frustrated with the possible manipulation of the justice system. How many of us would want to be a juror knowing one individual could interfere with due process? IDK if #17 did anything wrong, but I do hope there's a full investigation.

ETA: I see #17 and husband have closed FB and MS accounts, at least in their names. Are they afraid? If so, of whom - the public or the State?

Excellent post with your questions. May I add- Why didn't she explain to the rest of the jurors to get them to go to Her side for Life? Think about it, if you were the only one standing firm, why not try to get the rest of the jury to come to your side?

I wish there was video of Judge Stephens sentencing someone. I would like to see her in action prior to April 13. I wish I knew how to research her record too but alas I don't.

That Hershey slogan you came up with the other day was fantastic. Don't be surprised if it catches on and goes viral. We'll still attribute it to you though, at least in here.
Thanks, I thought of another one related to the discussion of drugs used to 'deliver' the DP. I didn't post it because I thought it was in somewhat bad taste, but, wth:

(Fictional future drug used as as both a sleep aid and for the 'big sleep'):

"Asomix: So Good Some People Never Wake Up."

I read "the sleepover from hell" about life in Perryville. Firstly she's not going to be able to "tithe" to the other inmates in there or even share snacks, that is strictly forbidden. No-one is allowed to "be in the debt" of another prisoner, and even if she didn't expect payment of any kind back, which of course she would, it isn't allowed at all. Secondly if she makes any suicide attempt at Perryville they actually strap her naked to a gurney with her arms and legs tied so she can't hurt herself. If she didn't like a padded cell at Estrella then she will really hate this at Perryville.

The hierarchy at Perryville won't just allow her to swan in as Queen Bee. She will start at the bottom and her whiny baby voice, manipulative behaviour and her arrogance will see her make plenty of enemies with the "hardened" criminals. She's only brave when her victim is naked and unarmed. She won't be taking on the tough women in Perryville

Yes agree, she's a psycho .. having a scary rep heading into prison can be a form of self protection and may have helped her achieve higher status where she was headed, yes?

Well, Angela's interview almost certainly made her look scarier than did Arias' holding up a candy bar and smiling for the camera. :D

I am hopelessly behind here and this has probably been discussed further. I understood this to be that she only declined her pre-sentencing interview not the whole report. It sounded to me that the report will happen with our without her cooperation and she's decided not to cooperate by not doing the interview.

I think you are right about this. When I worked for probation & parole department we had what was called a Pre-Sentence Investigation in which many factors were considered for the purpose of imposing sentence (in our case, considered for purpose of parole revocation on someone out on parole who had gotten into new trouble). It was mandatory and not optional for the perpertrator. I think this report re Arias has a similar purpose and is mandated to determine which life sentence is appropriate.

I do not think it is because there is any question of the sentence--I think it is just a formality.

Yes agree, she's a psycho .. having a scary rep heading into prison can be a form of self protection and may have helped her achieve higher status where she was headed, yes?

I totally get what you're saying and believe that people do do that! I know I'd do it if it meant people would leave me alone! I also think in her case, it's a bit of both, but weighing much more heavily on the side of her sadistic enjoyment of torturing that man for three days.

That behavior pretty much trumps anything she could say :/

In other words, she proved it without having to say anything.

yeeks.

Excellent post with your questions. May I add- Why didn't she explain to the rest of the jurors to get them to go to Her side for Life? Think about it, if you were the only one standing firm, why not try to get the rest of the jury to come to your side?
That could be explained as just lacking the intellectual resources to do so, not in itself an indication of wrongdoing.

It's marketing, as well it allows her to feel unique, but I also think she would off anyone she felt like without hesitation, so it's not all pretense.

That could be explained as just lacking the intellectual resources to do so, not in itself an indication of wrongdoing.
Oh, I wasn't inferring any wrong doing, nor was the post I was responding to. The post started "I've read everything I could find regarding juror #17, and enjoyed the numerous opinions here. While I don't know what went on in that deliberation room nor what was in her heart and mind, I do find several things odd."
I added my question to the list of things I find "odd". And it seems reasonable to wonder why she didn't seem to want the jurors to go with her on the Life side.

http://www.worldstarhiphop.com/videos/video.php?v=wshh2EVEq3hYPw43Xu0d

Angela Simpson video interview - it's probably been posted here before, but I just found it and I think it's interesting in many ways as it will relate to ja's future community.

She's almost hate to say oddly likable for her directness. Please, please, please, if someone has a better descriptor than likable tell me!! That's not a challenge, it's that I know it's not quite the right word, but that's all I have for now. She's very open about what she did and oops, there was a racial component to it, too - so watch out ja. Beginning 11:00 (approx) pay particular attention. She would never kill a black individual. Her victim was white and a snitch. If she had the opportunity to kill again she said "absolutely".

She said it's only right that she's so honest and direct because that's what she expects from others. That's going to be a real problem considering ja's barely nodding acquaintance with being honest or direct about much of anything.

When asked, she says her sentence wasn't fair. It wasn't fair because she deserved the Death Penalty. She said she deserved it, but she's okay with her life sentence. She's not complaining.

As far as interviews with convicted ADMITTED murderers, I think this rates as an amazing interview. Chilling, but amazing. Throw rocks at me if you like, but you can't ask for anything more than honesty from a convicted murderer as to why they viciously murdered someone. I've never seen anything like this.

ja has much to be worried about from this one.

Her victim wasn't a snitch though she just claimed he was. He was a disabled man. Judging by her prison record she'll be in solitery for a long time and won't be anywhere near Jodi.
Her victim had a family just like Travis did. I'm not throwing rocks but please have a look at what this woman did.
http://blogs.phoenixnewtimes.com/valleyfever/2012/04/angela_simpson_gets_life_in_pr.php

I'm tired of hearing people talking about this monster like she's going to be some sort of avenging angel who will make Jodi pay. With any luck Angela Simpson will spend her days locked away from all human life.

Oh, I wasn't inferring any wrong doing, nor was the post I was responding to. The post started "I've read everything I could find regarding juror #17, and enjoyed the numerous opinions here. While I don't know what went on in that deliberation room nor what was in her heart and mind, I do find several things odd."
I added my question to the list of things I find "odd". And it seems reasonable to wonder why she didn't seem to want the jurors to go with her on the Life side.
She was definitely odd, and she may well have been bought, anti-DP, or a JA fan, but the general impression I get is she wasn't very smart, in addition to any others issues that may be involved, so that's why I thought of my response.

Jodi is experiencing right now, what the rest of her life is going to be like. She has been coddled in jail, due to trial, and it probably is set in her mind that that is the way it is. She is now experiencing the way it is GOING to be. I do not really care about Jr17 or anything else at this point. Other then peace for Travis family. What I do care about is her downfall that she so richly deserves. And it has just started. Trust me, she will manipulate as much as she can in prison, and she will learn what she can or cannot do. BUT…her life, for what is left of it, is not going to be a pleasurable one. She really does not matter anymore in the realm of things

Her victim wasn't a snitch though she just claimed he was. He was a disabled man. Judging by her prison record she'll be in solitery for a long time and won't be anywhere near Jodi.
Her victim had a family just like Travis did. I'm not throwing rocks but please have a look at what this woman did.
http://blogs.phoenixnewtimes.com/valleyfever/2012/04/angela_simpson_gets_life_in_pr.php

I'm tired of hearing people talking about this monster like she's going to be some sort of avenging angel who will make Jodi pay. With any luck Angela Simpson will spend her days locked away from all human life.

And hopefully, so will the convicted murderess CMJA.

I was not aware that her name has been made public.

17 did wrong, IMO, but I hope no one does anything they might regret.

No, I don't think its been made public either... Well, other than people on Twitter.. But I don't think the msm has said anything... It's just weird to me how fast "he/she" ;0) started crying about feeling threatened...

It's one thing to read people venting their emotions online, but another for them to be protesting in front of your house, and I don't think this is the case... To me it seems like they are trying to build a case against the state or something...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Buffalosleuther