TX - Trial of Robert Durst in the murder of Morris Black

Thanks Wishbone. I couldn't find anything about brain cancer, but from Monday's hearing, it says Durst recently had neurosurgery. That would explain the stitches and probable need for pain med.

http://nypost.com/2015/03/16/robert-durst-waves-extraditon-agrees-to-face-murder-charges-in-la/

During the court proceeding, Durst — who wore an orange jumpsuit and brown sandals that exposed ​overgrown toenails — was asked if he had agreed to voluntarily forgo extradition proceedings and signed a formal waiver so he could be transferred to LA.

Durst, whose wrists and ankles were shackled, was initially isolated in a glass-sided box, then led into the well, where he smirked as he looked around the audience packed with reporters.

“He’s currently getting medication for several conditions but not for pain. He needs to be allowed his pain medication or be examined by a physician in jail. He’s had neurosurgery and needs those medications.”

He has had over 2 years to clear out his apartment since the film. I am SURE his lawyers helped him cover up any traces of guilt in the home. Millions can buy you that.

I was embarrassed for her..... just.......I really have no words that can adequately express my thoughts on her mentality.... not without a Time Out, anyways. :censored:

:thud:

I couldn't believe NG described his wife as being intelligent and classy. She said she was driving in the taxi, not riding in it. Is it true she managed to get control of Robert's trust?

I couldn't believe NG described his wife as being intelligent and classy. She said she was driving in the taxi, not riding in it. Is it true she managed to get control of Robert's trust?

In the summer of 2002, shortly before his trial for the murder of Morris Black began, Durst granted Charatan power of attorney. In that document, reviewed by Newsweek, Durst granted her traditional powers such as control of his real estate transactions, tax matters, claims and litigations. In a supplementary division to the power of attorney, Durst’s lawyer added that Charatan had the “power to make gifts in any amount and from time to time to such individuals (including Debrah Lee Charatan) and organizations as my attorney-in-fact determines.” In other words, she was granted the power to gift Robert Durst’s money to herself and/or to companies she owns.

http://www.newsweek.com/shadowy-history-robert-dursts-real-estate-holdings-314764

Good article on the controversy that will surround proving who wrote the cadaver letter.

False starts dogged the LAPD's murder case against Robert Durst

“At the time, the warrant affidavit shows, detectives had focused on a different potential suspect, Berman's manager Nyle Brenner. Comparing writing samples from Brenner to the letter, LAPD handwriting analyst William Leaver concluded in a report that it was "highly probable" Brenner was the letter's author, according to the affidavit.”

“Whenever it happens, Durst's murder trial is certain to feature a legal battle over the letter and the imperfect work police did over the years to match Durst to it. While prosecutors try to convince a jury that Durst was the author, his lawyers will fight to poke holes in what one of them, Richard DeGuerin, said Wednesday is the "junk science" of handwriting analysis.”

http://www.latimes.com/local/crime/la-me-durst-letter-20150319-story.html#page=1

I would definitely believe she was a taxy driver......much easier than anything with "classy" associated with it....as in his wife. I have no clue about his trust.

I would definitely believe she was a taxy driver......much easier than anything with "classy" associated with it....as in his wife. I have no clue about his trust.

Long before Charatan became entwined in Durst’s saga, she was known in her own right as a successful real estate broker with a reputation for being driven, even ruthless.
Robert Durst: police search Houston apartment in murder case
Read more

In the 1980s, she attracted attention as the leader of Bach Realty, an all-female commercial brokerage firm. She told Harper’s Bazaar that she wanted to be a “female Harry Helmsley before I’m 30”. In 1984, at the age of 27, Charatan was named by Glamour magazine as one of its 10 Outstanding Young Working Women.

http://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2015/mar/18/robert-durst-the-jinx-second-wife-debrah-lee-charatan

Long before Charatan became entwined in Durst’s saga, she was known in her own right as a successful real estate broker with a reputation for being driven, even ruthless.
Robert Durst: police search Houston apartment in murder case
Read more

In the 1980s, she attracted attention as the leader of Bach Realty, an all-female commercial brokerage firm. She told Harper’s Bazaar that she wanted to be a “female Harry Helmsley before I’m 30”. In 1984, at the age of 27, Charatan was named by Glamour magazine as one of its 10 Outstanding Young Working Women.

http://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2015/mar/18/robert-durst-the-jinx-second-wife-debrah-lee-charatan

Wow! No wonder they were together. She wants to be a man and he wants to be a woman....just joking.

In all seriousness, though, I can see why she would want to be connected to him because of the real estate connection.

I have been watching for info on Robert Durst for a few of years and now that he is so back in the news more info is coming out about him, but maybe only what he wants us to know. As odd as it sounds, the first time I saw a picture of Kathy Durst, her face just seemed familiar to me. I still don't know why, but I have always wondered and I guess that is why I've been interested in this story. After reading more over the years I was left to believe that Robert had connections to Humboldt County, where I live and have lived since the mid 1970's. Eventually I came to realize he had probably been here many times, possibly as early as the 70's. Could I have seen them here, anything is possible, since I used to work the door for two clubs that were quite popular then in a local rural small town. I eventually saw a story that he owned a house in a town just north of here maybe during the late 90's and early 2000's. Using Google Earth I was unable to locate the exact address, but I was able to see it was somewhere within a couple of blocks. The houses in this neighborhood are still fairly new, very close together and a fairly expensive neighborhood. From what I understand he owned several properties in Northern CA, most I would be clueless as to where they are.

I guess my questions now are why would Durst move into that crappy neighborhood in Galveston when he had so many other homes that were not cheap or crappy homes or neighborhoods. And that brings me to Morris Black, which I find little to no information about, other than RD killed him. There has to be more information about Morris Black before Galveston, but I have yet to find it. Anyone know anything?

My feeling is that Durst disguised himself in order to sneak up on Mr. Black and murdered him because he had information on Durst, not because Mr. Black pulled a gun on him and the self defense story told in court. I tend to think that Mr. Black was killed when he realized Durst was his cross dressing neighbor who had been stalking him in order to get a one up on him. Now it is possible Durst was slumming in that neighborhood to live out his fantasies having relationships with men he found in that neighborhood, but I just have to wonder. I'm thinking that I may have read something about Morris Black living in NY and moving to Florida at some point with his brother, but I now cannot find that story. Did Morris Black have information on Kathy Durst's murder or even Susan Burman's murder and is that why he had to be eliminated? Anybody know about Morris Black before Galveston?? The only thing I do know is that Durst is one creepy, scary thing.

Do you know if the wrongful death suit filed by Morris Black's sister (who had not seen him in nearly 30 years) was dismissed or settled. I don't think it went to trial as I'm sure it would have made the news.

Lol.... consider the source. It seems fitting to me NG would think that. Because...NG.

Erroneous LAPD handwriting analysis set back Robert Durst probe, warrant claims

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2015/03/1...durst-probe-warrant-claims/?intcmp=latestnews

This is why I'm worried about the LA case. The pros will, by now, have experts who will testify the writing is a match. But they have had his writings examined since 2002, without it being a match to Durst. One of their experts matched it to Bermans manager! And the audio "confession" can certainly be challenged as well

This isn't going to be Nurmi and Willmott going against the State. This man has unlimited resources for top notch lawyers, investigators and experts. They already got him acquitted once for a crime with much stronger evidence

This is why I'm worried about the LA case. The pros will, by now, have experts who will testify the writing is a match. But they have had his writings examined since 2002, without it being a match to Durst. One of their experts matched it to Bermans manager! And the audio "confession" can certainly be challenged as well

This isn't going to be Nurmi and Willmott going against the State. This man has unlimited resources for top notch lawyers, investigators and experts. They already got him acquitted once for a crime with much stronger evidence

I am not. I think there is way more to it than just the handwriting and now we have him saying HE DID IT.

She was shot in the back of the head so he can not claim self defense as he did with Morris Black because in that case he took the head and hid it so no one would ever see the evidence of that slaying.

All that has to be done is that a handwriting expert, gets both samples and compares writer to writer. Durst wrote that note. I would love to see Brenners sample.

I am not. I think there is way more to it than just the handwriting and now we have him saying HE DID IT.

She was shot in the back of the head so he can not claim self defense as he did with Morris Black because in that case he took the head and hid it so no one would ever see the evidence of that slaying.

All that has to be done is that a handwriting expert, gets both samples and compares writer to writer. Durst wrote that note. I would love to see Brenners sample.

Previous handwriting experts have not matched Durst to the note. In fact one LE expert matched Bermans manager to it, then changed their mind and said it could be Durst. The defense will have experts saying the writing doesn't match-that handwriting study is "junk science" and the audio "confession" was sarcasm.
They will need to have proof he was in the home and pulled the trigger

What may help is if they can get in evidence that he was attempting to flee...but that didn't help last time

“He was walking on the other side of the street and cut right across to me,” Phillips recalled. “I asked him to come into the club, but he said in a female-ish soft voice, ‘I would like to come in, but I can’t right now.’ ”
Without prompting, Durst then pulled open the right side of his brown-tweed suit jacket, revealing the butt of a handgun nestled in a belt holster, Phillips said. “I thought to myself, I hope this old guy with a gun doesn’t do anything stupid.”
http://nypost.com/2015/03/18/gun-toting-robert-durst-showed-off-his-piece-at-big-easy-bar/

In an interview Matt Birkbeck, who wrote “A Deadly Secret”, made some statements that if true and can actually be confirmed, are very incriminating for Robert Durst. Not sure where he got his information and he doesn’t reveal that…..Here is one part of what he said:

Do investigators have evidence on Durst in the Berman case in addition to what we saw in The Jinx?
"Investigators can place Durst in Los Angeles on December 24, 2000, the day Berman was killed, based on his travel and credit card records. They also have his handwriting sample connecting him to the so-called "cadaver letter" sent to police in 2000. They apparently also have DNA evidence linking him to that letter."

http://www.people.com/article/robert-durst-burning-questions-answered-charged-murder-jinx

http://edition.cnn.com/2015/03/18/us/robert-durst-wife-debrah-lee-charatan/

Susan Criss, the retired judge who presided over the 2003 trial, said from listening to hours of tapes and testimony that it's clear that Charatan is motivated by financial gain.

"It's very clear that she only cares about the money," Criss said.

Some former friends and employees described Charatan in less than glowing terms. Former employees have successfully sued her for failing to pay commissions.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shakespeare
Back