GUILTY VA - Noah Thomas, 5, Pulaski County, 22 March 2015 #5

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am a total girly girl and I knew it. I also know about the water cut off as well. So I think it is common knowledge.
I had no idea! I live in a city and always have. I didn't even know they existed. I never thought about sewer disposal in rural areas. It seems like it might be expensive to have to maintain it. I think about what our lawn irrigation costs to keep up and that's clean water. I mean doesn't a septic tank freeze? Excuse my ignorance :(

Thanks for the tip on the FB page. It seems like Noah loved the females who are talking about him, so I don't understand the story we have heard that he didn't like or was afraid of women.

Pretty sure I read here where people were implying Noah was afraid of women.

We don't have a "story", period. Courtney shared what her relative experienced in the time that she lived below Noah. Nothing was implied, hinted or coded. You have chosen to take offense where none was intended and that isn't on Courtney or any other poster.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I had no idea! I live in a city and always have. I didn't even know they existed. I never thought about sewer disposal in rural areas. It seems like it might be expensive to have to maintain it. I think about what our lawn irrigation costs to keep up and that's clean water. I mean doesn't a septic tank freeze? Excuse my ignorance :(

Schmaley... FYI

Septic tanks can be installed pretty much at any depth in the soil. Even in freezing climates, the septic tank serving an occupied home or even an unoccupied one is unlikely to freeze, partly because of latent heat the bottom of the septic tank receives from the earth and partly because of the heat generated by the bacterial action going on in the septic tank.

http://inspectapedia.com/septic/Septic_Tank_Depth.htm has more information on septic tanks than you would ever want to know :biggrin:

ETA: Not expensive to maintain, considering that where I live, the SEWER costs paid to the utility here is a standard 2x charge of the water costs. Put them in, and minimal maintenance. Some folks have NEVER had to pay to empty them. :moo:

ETA#2: My good friend grows tomatoes right above his septic/drain field, and the are the BEST BEST BEST maters you have ever had. I cannot wait to have my first mater sammich from his garden.... usually the 4th of July is when they come in!

Schmaley... FYI

http://inspectapedia.com/septic/Septic_Tank_Depth.htm has more information on septic tanks than you would ever want to know [emoji3]

ETA: Not expensive to maintain, considering that where I live, the SEWER costs paid to the utility here is a standard 2x charge of the water costs. Put them in, and minimal maintenance. Some folks have NEVER had to pay to empty them. :moo:

ETA#2: My good friend grows tomatoes right above his septic/drain field, and the are the BEST BEST BEST maters you have ever had. I cannot wait to have my first mater sammich from his garden.... usually the 4th of July is when they come in!
Thank you. I had no idea.

We don't have a "story", period. Courtney shared what her relative experienced in the time that she lived below Noah. Nothing was implied, hinted or coded. You have chosen to take offense where none was intended and that isn't on Courtney or any other poster.

I have read that he was afraid of women but I don't think it was mentioned here. I think its OK for us to question rumors and speculation and try to sort out what we feel is more reliable without it qualifying as shots fired. We are all on the same side here mourning loss. I respect your opinion and your close protection of other posters. But we really are all here for the same purpose, kwim? Two days ago I felt incredibly edgy with others who I felt were unfairly judging a grieving mom based on small town rumors. Now we know more facts and can sort this out much more maturely.

I remember reading (or maybe hearing in the interview with the sanitation worker) that those lids have 6-8 (10?) bolts and require "a tool" to remove but idk if they meant a special tool or just a generic screwdriver that everyone would have laying around.

There was a media report showing the type and company that made the lid. It was blue plastic, and was about two pounds. It's unclear whether it was secured with bolts or was on a "hinge" similar to the one the little boy fell into a few years ago while his dad loaded his baby sister in her carseat. That lid could easily be lifted by a preschooler, and in that case the boy squatted on the rim of the septic tank, fell in, and the lid closed after him leaving no visible trace of what had happened until they lifted the lid and looked in.

Although the lid was bright blue and two pounds, the other information about hinges and screws wasn't known to the media.

Schmaley... FYI

http://inspectapedia.com/septic/Septic_Tank_Depth.htm has more information on septic tanks than you would ever want to know :biggrin:

Hey, I bet I know where my septic tank is now! I can't even keep a cactus alive but anything I plant in the back corner of my yard grows like crazy. A few years ago I planted cucumbers back there and promptly forgot them but those things took over everything. Thanks!

I think it's fair to say that AW has had some serious suffering and loss in her life. I am saddened that those experiences didn't encourage her to give her children a better and safer life than she had.

Schmaley... FYI

This is a rabbit trail, but it isn't recommended that you grow anything consumable in a septic field. Risk of contamination. Sounds like so far it's worked out, but there are certain fertilizers that are marked "not for vegetable gardens" because of this exact problem.

http://www.todayshomeowner.com/planting-vegetables-over-a-septic-leach-field/

There was a media report showing the type and company that made the lid. It was blue plastic, and was about two pounds. It's unclear whether it was secured with bolts or was on a "hinge" similar to the one the little boy fell into a few years ago while his dad loaded his baby sister in her carseat. That lid could easily be lifted by a preschooler, and in that case the boy squatted on the rim of the septic tank, fell in, and the lid closed after him leaving no visible trace of what had happened until they lifted the lid and looked in.

Although the lid was bright blue and two pounds, the other information about hinges and screws wasn't known to the media.

http://m.wdbj7.com/news/sanitation-technician-describes-discovery-of-noah-thomas/32052894

YES! I wonder if Noah was a proud 'big brother' did he tell everyone? He must not of shared with CourtneyB cousin.............she was a neighbor.
I can' wait to hear from people Noah knew like classmates and teachers.
Was Noah told sister was a secret? no kids in to play?
Noah would of been 4 going on 5 when CourtneyB cousin lived there............makes it worse he was out alone.
Neighbors said Noah always waved at cars and they miss that.............on FB (so sweet)

His obituary had a cute story about how he refused to believe the new baby was predicted to be a girl, and kept insisting he was getting a baby brother, but when she was born he fell in love with her.

courtneyB cousin just said he was stand offish to her and more comfortable with her husband and loved his motorcycle.

New to posting, but I have been following Noah's tragic story and ^^this is what I remember reading, too.

I don't want to sound too cheesy or dramatic here but as I sat and folded my children's laundry early this morning as I waited for them to wake up, I thought and planned our day ahead. I thought of the egg hunt we are going to do today and of the birthday party tonight, Easter baskets tomorrow, dinner at grandma's, etc. I usually take the early morning to center myself before the chaos strikes. But all of my thoughts have been overshadowed by a sincere grief for sweet little Noah. His childhood was ended far too soon and at the hands of the people who had only job that mattered- to protect him from harm. I don't know why this case is hitting me so hard. Maybe the spiderman boots that mirror a pair my three year old worships or if it is his age and smile and that he shares an exact birthday with my own 5 year old girl. Noah did leave good here though. We are all a little more patient and a little more loving in his honor. RIP sweet boy.
what an endearing post........you have touched my heart and brought tears to my eyes....

like everyone here, noah has moved me. my hive is empty now as all my boy bees have grown and flew away......i remember those mornings, taking care of routine tasks, centering myself for the day, listening for the footfalls and preparing for the chaos to begin....like you describe......

oh how i miss those days.....what i wouldn't give for popeye videos left uselessly in the boys' bathroom.......oatmeal kisses smacked on my check as they fly thru the kitchen on their way to adventure.....mud tracked thru the foyer in the pursuit of a pet.....enough legos to build a bridge spanning the USA......big giant schedules hanging insides double pantry doors outlining every imaginable sport or activity and wondering if time travel is possible....color-coded toothbrushes and squabbles over lunchboxes......someone ALWAYS on the piano and usually not the most talented one.....every child in the neighborhood finding their way inside our door everyday of the week........

it was crazy, it was nuts, it was chaotic, i wouldn't have changed a thing :D

the egghunts.......the baskets.....the dying of the eggs......the memories.......oh noah......you were so cheated :(

how dare they :furious: how dare they LITERALLY throw all that away.....we will be here noah...we will be here to see this thru :rose:

schmaley you are right to feel the way you do..........hug your little bunnies close today, they are lucky to have you....:therethere: have a wonderful holiday and :tyou: for bringing back so many good memories for me :heartbeat:

Thanks for the tip on the FB page. It seems like Noah loved the females who are talking about him, so I don't understand the story we have heard that he didn't like or was afraid of women.

Can you please link to where it was said that he didn't like or was afraid of woman? of course, I am assuming this is on WS or a page that can be mentioned.

Schmaley... FYI

I have learned more than I ever wanted to know about septic tanks.

Re: your ETA2- I am both fascinated and a little grossed out, lol!!!

I have always lived in the city too. I have just heard family member mention it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member