MD - Freddie Gray dies in police custody #2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Over dramatic much? No we can't stop discussing it because it is central to the SA's justifying charging all six LE with murder. I've seen not one poster that believes FG's death wasn't tragic and needs to be investigated.

However, just because some want to condemn the accused without looking at all the facts doesn't mean it works that way. All lives matter.

Nah, I'm not over-dramatic. I'm just tired of people conveniently overlooking the fact that a human can't crush their own voicebox and sever their own spine while in handcuffs. Someone did that to him, but we want to focus on his little pointy knife. JMO. :)

And every night in major cities the stats prove it: usually criminals killing each other---and yet no outcry about that! Why?
Moo

Because officers are expected to protect us, even if we're in custody for breaking the law. Protect and serve. So when they are or may be responsible for the violent death of a subject, it's highly disturbing. More disturbing than 2 criminals battling it out.

I am pro-cop, too, but not to the point of blaming a victim for the actions of six LEO's charged in his death.

If they are found not guilty, then they are not guilty. But this still does not then place Freddy on trial. This is a VICTIM FRIENDLY forum and I am frankly shocked at the fact that there are so many posts blaming Freddy while defending those charged in his death.

AND blantantly ignoring any evidence which supports the charges against those named.

C'mon.....are there people here who really think that there is no merit to the charges against these six officers? Are people really that set on blaming the man who died after a ride in a wagon while screaming for medical help?

It honestly makes me sick that there are people who think a man deserved to die without a trial. Just because he had a record. Disgusting.
Honest question. Why are you making things up? Who here has stated FG deserved to die?

Nah, I'm not over-dramatic. I'm just tired of people conveniently overlooking the fact that a human can't crush their own voicebox and sever their own spine while in handcuffs. Someone did that to him, but we want to focus on his little pointy knife. JMO. :)

Because officers are expected to protect us, even if we're in custody for breaking the law. Protect and serve. So when they are or may be responsible for the violent death of a subject, it's highly disturbing. More disturbing than 2 criminals battling it out.

Tawny----yes, officers are here to protect us. The "us" being law abiding citizens; not career criminals. Since I'm not certain the officers did any wrongdoing in this case, I will withhold my opinions until all the facts come out from the investigations.

Moo

I saw him claiming Freddie's mistake was not running faster.
I don't understand what he is thinking when he says things like that.

Maybe that Freddy would still be alive but for his time in custody?

Tawny----yes, officers are here to protect us. The "us" being law abiding citizens; not career criminals. Since I'm not certain the officers did any wrongdoing in this case, I will withhold my opinions until all the facts come out from the investigations.

Moo

Peace Officers are here to protect us ALL.

One's criminal past does not negate one's right to be treated fairly under the law.

Moo

Officers have no way of knowing if a person is a "career criminal" or a first time offender or even truly guilty in some cases. It's not for the officers to decide who to protect and who to allow harm to when they are in custody. If the human being is in cuffs, they are for the most part defenseless (not going to get into a debate about subjects who fight and bite and all that, I'm only referencing the average handcuffed individual), and it is the officer's responsibility to make sure they remain safe and make it to the station in one piece. These officers failed in that one crucial duty somehow. I'm eager to see what happened and how this man ended up in a grave.

Officers have no way of knowing if a person is a "career criminal" or a first time offender or even truly guilty in some cases. It's not for the officers to decide who to protect and who to allow harm to when they are in custody. If the human being is in cuffs, they are for the most part defenseless (not going to get into a debate about subjects who fight and bite and all that, I'm only referencing the average handcuffed individual), and it is the officer's responsibility to make sure they remain safe and make it to the station in one piece. These officers failed in that one crucial duty somehow. I'm eager to see what happened and how this man ended up in a grave.

Exactly. Justice is carried out in a court of law, not at the hands of LE.

These officers are so lucky that they actually GET their day in court.

Freddy will not.

Peace Officers are here to protect us ALL.

One's criminal past does not negate one's right to be treated fairly under the law.

I disagree & hope that we all understand that when you're a career criminal known to the local LE.....& you behave suspiciously by suddenly running from a cop....they are probably going to chase & apprehend you. Add any weapon found & another level of arrest comes into play.
And they don't cuff you with velvet-lined "Chinese handcuffs" & take you down to the station in a limousine outfitted with champagne. Nope.

We lose our point with officers to be protected if we ourselves are suspected to be committing a crime in action.

The crux of the matter is the dividing line between being a criminal (in a suspected act) and being a victim.

Moo

For some reason, those shot or killed by LE seem to lose their victim status. Just an observation.

That is because their (LE) job is so stressful (from what I have read from family members-so stressful that they consider just quitting) that anyone they shoot obviously had it coming. And if you believe otherwise, you hate LE.

Actually, it's a given right that we are all treated equally and fairly. The Constitution does not distinguish between civilian and criminal in that regard. Even convicted felons have rights.

Actually, it's a given right that we are all treated equally and fairly. The Constitution does not distinguish between civilian and criminal in that regard. Even convicted felons have rights.

Convicted felons lose some rights that non-felons get to keep, right?

Was this one posted?

Officer requests to see knife as part of defense in Freddie Gray case

http://www.baltimoresun.com/news/ma...ie-gray-statements-20150505-story.html#page=1

Batts says he found out about charges 10 minutes before announcement

A Baltimore police task force, commissioned to investigate Gray's death, analyzed the knife and determined that it was "spring assisted" and in violation of the city's law.

Wow, just wow! Whatever happened to scroll and roll??
Btw, some of us DO feel like the pointy little knife is important. We can feel that way and still want to know what happened to FG.

Btw, some of us DO feel like the pointy little knife is important. We can feel that way and still want to know what happened to FG.

Thank you for the reminder, Sugar......"scroll & roll". :innocent:

I'm sorry if my posts upset you. I mean no offense, I'm just as frustrated as anyone else, for various reasons, as we all are.

This is from the article I just posted. I guess this means they might have to exhume Freddie:

"Any time you get to second-degree murder, that requires specific intent," Pettit said.

Pettit said he would also seek an independent autopsy.

So they get fired, arrested on false criminal charges, jailed, have to raise bail, their lives are ruined, ALL so the DA can try and get more info from them? :sigh:

Again, why are you insisting the charges are false? Are you privy to some inside info?

Because as it stands, per MSM, these 6 officers HAVE BEEN CHARGED in the death of Freddy Gray, the VICTIM.

<modsnip>

Until then, those 6 LEOs are the accused and FG is the VICTIM.

PLEASE CUT THE ANGST AND SNARK IN THIS THREAD !!

If you can't scroll and roll and remain civil, perhaps it's time to step away for a bit and cool down.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mona Lisa