DC - Savvas Savopoulos, family & Veralicia Figueroa murdered; Daron Wint Arrested #8

Status
Not open for further replies.
If you are under investigation for a crime or even that the crime touches you, ...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tampering_with_evidence
This is about California law, but it goes into detail on many different ways you can be committing the crime:
http://www.shouselaw.com/destroying-concealing-evidence.html

SpanInq

Great finds. The shouselaw link is a good plain-English explanation about the issue.
Do you think JW violated the law (azz-uming it is similar to CA)?
Deleting his SM? texts on phone or ???

Anyone, pls chime in. Thx in adv.

But there are 2 aspects to destroying evidence. 1) you must know it is evidence, and 2) you must destroy it on purpose. It would have to be proven in court that JW, at the time not charged, named as a suspect or POI, believed there was something related to the case (evidence) on his SM pages. I think that would be an uphill battle.
Huh? Destroying evidence IS evidence of consciousness of guilt as the link I provided clearly shows.

But there are 2 aspects to destroying evidence. 1) you must know it is evidence, and 2) you must destroy it on purpose. It would have to be proven in court that JW, at the time not charged, named as a suspect or POI, believed there was something related to the case (evidence) on his SM pages. I think that would be an uphill battle.

No, not at all. If you are guilty, you know it is evidence.

Why did he have to kill PS so brutally? Savage monster. The adults were horrific enough, but the child would have no idea who he was. Why couldn't he have spared his young life? Makes me physically sick.

And as a parent of 10-year-old boy, I know how i would've felt..I would have given ANYTHING, easily including my own life, easily the family fortune, easily even being tortured*, to make sure my son was okay. And in their case...I can't even go into the darkness, because it is unspeakable, unimaginable. I made the mistake of listening to the VM that SS sent NG, with Philip's noises in the background. This is not about me (obviously). But I have been so sick from hearing that it has affected me an unprecedented way. Which is why I am new here.

*that would not be easy at all, respect to the parents

What of his SM presence is evidence related to this crime? Being a narcissistic, immature, lying, wanna-be race car driver is not a crime. Even being one that needs money isn't a crime. To be guilty of destroying evidence, you have to know it might be evidence. If you are proclaiming your innocence (assuming he is charged) there is no reason to consider your SM posts evidence. JMO

It's funny, I barely even consider JW's social posts as proof of anything. Everyone I know does those things. It's his lying that is his problem. And he would have shut down his SM sites immediately regardless of whether he is guilty of some crime or just an innocent driver being presumed to be involved in a family and housekeeper left dead.

It may have been half of the ransom money but I have a serious question about HOW the people detained with Wint have been making a living. I wonder if they are a rolling chop shop. They had the money, Wint did not. So that is an indication of a level of sophistication.

I do not believe this family is the first victim nor the last. Getting to the bottom seems to be similar to getting to the bottom of a cancer. Where did it start and where does it end?

JMO

I think people are with you on the chop shop!!!!!

Thinking out loud. Is it possible that there was no plan to kill -- that DW went in thinking he would only face AS and PS and that he could get a large amount of money from AS somehow. Once there he realized she was unable to get him any substantial $$, and so a new plan kicked in -- getting SS home so he could get $$$. However, since SS knew DW from AIW and could ID him quickly, the killings took place. JMO.

You know, I think this is it. Makes a lot of sense.

I believe these murders were premeditated.

I don't think they were done because of pent up hate against this family either. I think DW targeted Savvas because he was aware how wealthy his ex-boss is. He was also probably aware of how much Savvas loved his wife and children.

We have seen several home invasions in recent years when the victims were wealthy and each and every time the victims were never spared even when the murderers did not know the families. To many of these murderers human life means absolutely nothing to them. They consider the lives of the victim as nothing more than collateral damage. Imo, they don't rage/hate against the victims and that is what is chilling to me.

They methodically and coldly do whatever they wish to do to the victims knowing the victims are rendered helpless and cant do anything about it.

So before leaving many of them rape the female victims, they torture the victims over and over again to satisfy their sadistic beastly controlling nature. Always to the end of the nightmare the suspect is letting the victims know who is in control of their life.

It is a twisted sociopathic game being played by those who possess no true human emotion about others. That is how DW was able to torture a frightened innocent 10 year old boy, and it didn't faze him. DW was there to obtain his goals and whatever he thought had to be done was carried out callously with no feelings at all applied to it.

There was no way this family and Vera were ever going to come out of this alive. It seems in the last few years the motto of many home invaders has become ' leave no living witness behind' and they know the victims are all going to be murdered before even entering the home.

Sociopaths always protect themselves and they will do whatever they think is necessary to do that including eliminating all victims and silencing them in death.

He was never going to allow any of his victims to tell who or what they had endured.

IMO

Ok so from what I am seeing is that JW and wint used to live in close proximity to each other at the apartment complex behind the church where the porsche was torched. Makes me wonder about the 6 degrees of separation. I looked up someone the other day on fb and I looked at their friends list and low and behold there was someone there that I am familiar with, needless to say I will no longer be going to that business. With that said I wondered if wint is friend with someone that is friends with JW on one of the sites were he was posting pictures of the insides of the vehicles he was driving. jmo idk

In the Petit case it didn't take any physical strength to notify about the hostage situation. Any number of things could have been done as the family members know they're being held by at least one armed kidnapper as it doesn't just have to be one way all the time. I also think that SS was not caught by overwhelming physical force, but knowing if he did the wrong move that his family would be killed and that subdued him. When someone has a knife to your 10 your old child, they don't need any physical restraints on you in order to control you. I expect that most of the time he was highly restrained, but he didn't necessarily always have to be kept that way given the mortal threat to his family and that is the same reason why they let him talk in the phone in the first place.

<BBM for focus>

Good point, SpanishInquisition, and likely the tactic used to gain SS's compliance, imo. If someone has a knife to a father's 10 your old child, it would be virtually impossible for them to restrain the father without accomplices..

This is what I think.
It was supposed to be a heist. Cash. Art. Jewelry.
Things got out of hand. Change of plan.

Hope he/they rot. Sorry. I do.
I have a son Phillip's age. They even resemble each other. I can't look at his photos. It just breaks my heart.

Yes, I just don't think that anyone would plan in advance to hold 4 people (particularly SS who is very strong) in that home overnight. That house is in a busy area, with neighbors and people coming and going all the time. While I do think it's likely that DW had inside information to prepare for a home invasion involving AS and PS, I don't think it was planned to involve VF and SS, or to be an overnight ordeal, or to involve murder. No, I think the initial plan fell through, and then lots of bizarre happenings ensued -- the pizza order, the house fire that barely burned anything, the torching of the Porsche in a public area. But I could be convinced otherwise.... ALL JMO

Yes, I just don't think that anyone would plan in advance to hold 4 people (particularly SS who is very strong) in that home overnight. That house is in a busy area, with neighbors and people coming and going all the time. While I do think it's likely that DW had inside information to prepare for a home invasion involving AS and PS, I don't think it was planned to involve VF and SS, or to be an overnight ordeal, or to involve murder. No, I think the initial plan fell through, and then lots of bizarre happenings ensued -- the pizza order, the house fire that barely burned anything, the torching of the Porsche in a public area. But I could be convinced otherwise.... ALL JMO

If it wasn't planned in advance, how would he manage to pull it off?

Just a quick update. I went to the funeral yesterday. It was incredibly beautiful and profoundly sad. I hope you will understand that I don't want to talk about it on a public forum. The media was actually quite respectful and kept their distance. Yes a few of the people with cameras & crews asked guests if they would like to share their memories, but they were respectful when we said no. The one thing I will share is that a very good family friend of Amy's who has a huge heart and is rock solid as anyone I know has clearly become a very important person in the girls' lives during this unthinkable time. In the wake of the horrible tragedy, it does give me a glimmer of hope for the girls that this friend (who is also a friend of mine) is clearly protecting them and providing them a great deal of love right now. Of course, no one can ever replace their mother -- AS was perhaps the most devoted mother I have ever known, but I do believe this friend will do everything possible to nurture, love and provide a safe haven for the girls - in the short and long term. I'm sure other friends and family are also helping the girls, but there truly is an angel on earth right now for the girls and I have no doubt her presence in so many ways has helped the girls during this time. Please do NOT ask me any questions about what I just posted as I want to respect the family's privacy. Thank you.

NOTE: I edited to add the word NOT in the last sentence - for obvious reasons.

Exactly -- he apparently left his DNA on the pizza and was seen on a video in a parking lot with the S family's burning Porsche.

That's a mistake made during the commission of the crime and certainly not indicative of what the plan was or wasn't.

Just a quick update. I went to the funeral yesterday. It was incredibly beautiful and profoundly sad. I hope you will understand that I don't want to talk about it on a public forum. The media was actually quite respectful and kept their distance. Yes a few of the people with cameras & crews asked guests if they would like to share their memories, but they were respectful when we said no. The one thing I will share is that a very good family friend of Amy's who has a huge heart and is rock solid as anyone I know has clearly become a very important person in the girls' lives during this unthinkable time. In the wake of the horrible tragedy, it does give me a glimmer of hope for the girls that this friend (who is also a friend of mine) is clearly protecting them and providing them a great deal of love right now. Of course, no one can ever replace their mother -- AS was perhaps the most devoted mother I have ever known, but I do believe this friend will do everything possible to nurture, love and provide a safe haven for the girls - in the short and long term. I'm sure other friends and family are also helping the girls, but there truly is an angel on earth right now for the girls and I have no doubt her presence in so many ways has helped the girls during this time. Please do NOT ask me any questions about what I just posted as I want to respect the family's privacy. Thank you.

NOTE: I edited to add the word NOT in the last sentence - for obvious reasons.

Thanks for the update and thanks for being a good friend to Amy's & Savvas's girls, they have a tough life ahead and will need lots of support.

If it wasn't planned in advance, how would he manage to pull it off?

He didn't. He killed four people and was caught. IMO

Although DW's plan may not have succeeded, &#8220;the best laid plans of mice and men often go awry&#8221;.. If not for FBI CODIS, this crime may have never been solved.. There is no doubt in my mind that if DW and associate/s had pulled it off unscaved. He/they would be planning their next heinous violent crime on another unsuspecting family...

The FBI launched the National DNA Index System (NDIS) in 1998&#8212;along with the Combined DNA Index System (CODIS) software to manage the program..The use of DNA has become such a fundamental investigative tool for law enforcement that it&#8217;s hard to believe this technique of matching unknown profiles to known offenders is a fairly recent phenomenon.

FBI CODIS&#8212;NDIS Statistics
http://www.fbi.gov/about-us/lab/biometric-analysis/codis/ndis-statistics

Measuring Success
The National DNA Index (NDIS) contains over 11,736,960 offender1 profiles, 1,973,831 arrestee profiles and 625,370 forensic profiles as of April 2015.
Ultimately, the success of the CODIS program will be measured by the crimes it helps to solve. CODIS&#8217;s primary metric, the &#8220;Investigation Aided,&#8221; tracks the number of criminal investigations where CODIS has added value to the investigative process. As of April 2015, CODIS has produced over 283,440 hits assisting in more than 270,211 investigations.

* Select a state abbreviation below to reveal statistical information. Alternate text links are found below the Interactive Map.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sally43