SC - Nine killed in Emanuel AME Church shooting, Charleston; Dylann Roof charged #1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cathy ‏@courtchatter 5m5 minutes ago

#DylannRoof is back in Charleston at the Al Cannon Detention Center. His Bond hearing is pending per Charleston PD #CharlestonShooting

CH0i2pIW8AA0JIp.jpg

Cathy ‏@courtchatter 4m4 minutes ago

#DylannRoof booked into county jail at 7:28pm EDT. #CharlestonShooting

:cursing:

Could anyone enlighten me on what exactly the gun laws are for that State? Carry, storage etc. TIA. Could whomever bought the gun be held responsible? Oops meant gifted the gun. I know the laws vary from state to state.

It’s illegal to give guns to felons or people with felony indictments — but that’s only if you know about their criminal records. In South Carolina, you don’t have to ask, so private citizens can more or less freely exchange guns.

If prosecutors can show that the father knew about Roof’s indictment but gave him the gun anyway, Roof’s father could face up to 10 years in prison.

read more... http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs...ophole-that-allowed-dylann-roof-to-get-a-gun/

I think you are painting with a wide brush, and that's me censoring myself. What kind of people were you around in Texas?
I've spent a heck of a lot more time in the South than any four years, and no, this kind of talk isn't common place. Not even close. You don't know what your are talking about.

I see more racist right here than I have all day in Charleston. And it's probably not the kind you are thinking of. I've been around lots of people in Charleston today and yet, the anger and division is found on this site today. Pretty sad.

Can we not mourn these good people and realize that THIS GUY is racist and killed them in cold blood after sitting among them in one of the most sacred places and feel awful about that without trying to slander millions of people?

This is exactly what this creep wants. Nice job playing right into his hands.

Sent from my SCH-S960L using Tapatalk 2

Thank you. I certainly don't hear racist remarks where I live and I have lived in the South my entire life. Although I wouldn't associate with anyone who says racist remarks about any race and that includes all races.

White people in the south are also called very racist derogatory names but since they aren't said to me or apply to me I ignore them when I overhear other races talking about white people.

IMO

I think you are painting with a wide brush, and that's me censoring myself. What kind of people were you around in Texas?
I've spent a heck of a lot more time in the South than any four years, and no, this kind of talk isn't common place. Not even close. You don't know what your are talking about.

Can we not mourn these good people and realize that THIS GUY is racist and killed them in cold blood after sitting among them in one of the most sacred places and feel awful about that without trying to slander millions of people?

RSBM

THANK YOU!

:blowkiss:

He doesn't seem to be much of a loner. He had family and friends that he saw frequently. His roommate said he had been planning this for the last 6 months.

http://abcnews.go.com/US/charleston-shooting-closer-alleged-gunman-dylann-roof/story?id=31865375

No one called him out on his plans or reported them to the police likely because they thought he was joking. This area of the country is extremely racist. His talk didn't bother anyone in his circle of friends and family because it's common to hear people talk that way in most communities in South Carolina. I lived in Texas for four years and heard that kind of talk regularly. I couldn't move out of there fast enough.

Its not that every person in these conservative areas is a raving racist. Not all of them are. But racist language and talk is tolerated by most everyone native to these areas. No one thinks its a big deal. You hear it standing behind people in line at retail outlets in Florida resort towns, everywhere in the south.

Those folks have to realize that's not normal and its not acceptable. 90% of the people in the US don't behave or talk that way. People are wrong for saying those things. And people who stand around and tolerate it, make excuses for it and spread it on tv are wrong as well.

This guy didn't do anything that a million other racists and bigots in the US haven't thought or joked about doing. It's time to stand up to them, humiliate them publicly for their offensive opinions and sick beliefs. We wouldn't tolerate a pedophile discussing his beliefs in public, there's no reason to tolerate racists, either.

So if someone talks about something criminal but never acts on it, we should do what with them? What if they are just having thoughts? Should we give people sodium amytol and interrogate them? I guess I am not sure where your speech and possible thought control actions should lead or what is the outcome that would be satisfactory for you if someone has racist thoughts or speech, even if they choose to never act on it.

Every time I have given my hubby a handgun or long gun for a present I always included a box of ammo to go with it. I imagine the Uncle did the same.

snip
The gun was given to him by his father for his birthday.

The uncle informed the press about it.

Thank you. I certainly don't hear racist remarks where I live and I have lived in the South my entire life. Although I wouldn't associate with anyone who says racist remarks about any race and that includes all races.

White people in the south are also called very racist derogatory names but since they aren't said to me or apply to me I ignore them when I overhear other races talking about white people.

IMO

I've lived in the South my whole life but have traveled all over this country for my job since 1999, and ignorant jerks are not bound by geography. They are everywhere. You just have to choose to not associate with them. From Mi to Fl and Ny to Ca. They are everywhere and of all political stripes ; but they are vastly outnumbered. No matter how much some would like to paint a different picture. IMO

Exactly! What need did this have for a hand gun. Oh yeah to snuff out 9 productive lives. Lives that were doing good for themselves, their family and community. May he rot. Slowly. I need to step away for a bit.

As bad a shot as it sounds like he was, one man in that church with a taser, pepper spray, or gun could have taken him out in 10 seconds or less.

See those 10,000 posts>probably about 8000 of mine are links as most "who know me" will attest.

I posted the other for you...it's out there

Don't know you. Didn't see a link on your post. Sorry. Not intending to offend.

Then I am in great Company. I'm back and calmer. I think LOL

It is hard to stay calm when nine people died at the hands of a self-proclaimed racist murderer and yet people look to excuse the killer or will bring up black people who have killed white people.

Because apparently the victims are not what matters here. It's "but, but, but, black people kill, too".

Shame on you. Nine people were MURDERED by some gun-loving a$$hole. He killed them while they prayed. And said he did it because he wanted to kill black people.

But, yeah, it's the same as Trayvon, Freddy or Walter.

I think I need to walk away now. Stinks to high heaven.

Bravo, you have my respect. I admire your ability to stay calm and stay here.

IMO

I have lived in Texas for 76 years & I have heard & witnessed plenty of racial remarks. You can't very well separate yourself from racists when you work with them & we all have to make a living some way. There is no arguing with them because they are ignorant & will not listen to reason. I will be the first to say that not ALL Texas are racists but there are way too many for this day & age. The Civil War has been over for 150 years, the south got their a$$$ "whupped" so I say get over it! As long as we deny that we have racial problems, we are part of the problem. I thank God every day that my parents were NOT racists & didn't influence me to become one.

I've lived in the South my whole life but have traveled all over this country for my job since 1999, and ignorant jerks are not bound by geography. They are everywhere. You just have to choose to not associate with them. From Mi to Fl and Ny to Ca. They are everywhere and of all political stripes ; but they are vastly outnumbered. No matter how much some would like to paint a different picture. IMO

I have lived all over, too. But I honestly have to say where I live now (not Charleston) is the most racist place I have ever lived. When people start a conversation with "Well I am not a racist, but ....." you can rest assured what follows is assuredly racist. And then some jokes about Obama and monkeys. For real.

I never experienced that in Charleston proper. In fact, it was one of the most lovely,gracious and racially harmonious places I have lived.

I know that the surrounding towns and counties have some issues, but the people of Charleston, black and white and every shade between are some of the loveliest folks ever and they would be excellent examples for cities eveywhere on how to just "be", "live" and enjoy life.

I am horrified not just that this act of terrorism happened in the Holy City of my ancestors, but that the good name of Charleston might be associated with some who came from Columbia anyway.

The VICTIMS were Charlestonians. The murderer was NOT.

God bless the victims, their families and the good people of Charleston.

It is hard to stay calm when nine people died at the hands of a self-proclaimed racist murderer and yet people look to excuse the killer or will bring up black people who have killed white people.

Because apparently the victims are not what matters here. It's "but, but, but, black people kill, too".

Early on the thread someone repeatedly tried to portray the shooter as non white -- as darker skinned and/or hispanic. (Same poster initially suggested that ISIS or some 'Black Liberation Movement' was behind the guy in the armored car firing away at the police station in Texas -- when the reality was pretty much the opposite.)

Shame on you. Nine people were MURDERED by some gun-loving a$$hole. He killed them while they prayed. And said he did it because he wanted to kill black people.

But, yeah, it's the same as Trayvon, Freddy or Walter.

I think I need to walk away now. Stinks to high heaven.

Bravo, you have my respect. I admire your ability to stay calm and stay here.

Try a nice glass of Pinio and 20 minutes of nature. Reality check. The racism issue of this guy makes me crazy. The buying of a gun for a gift makes me crazy. Some of the gun laws in states make me crazy LOL Not laughing really

CHzqajQWUAApkjj.jpg

Cathy retweeted
Audrina Bigos ‏@AudrinaBigos 8m8 minutes ago

Close up of #DylannRoof being taken out of Shelby Police Deptartment. #CharlestonShooting

Looks like the cat who swallowed the canary.

I live in a very liberal town of Vermont and my husband is half black. I never truly picked up on the racism here until we started dating, but let me tell you racism is rampant everywhere. His first day at his current job someone threw his lunch into the garbage with a note "go home n..." Saying the majority of the people in the South are racist or passively condone racism by others is just another dangerous stereotype that helps breed this divide. I think it is also hurtful personally to the many southern members on this site who come here everyday because they care about all of humanity and want to help.

Now the schools wants them to be like little girls. That aggression comes out somewhere.

I don't understand this comment, as I have some tough young ladies-to-be in my life.

I see more racist right here than I have all day in Charleston. And it's probably not the kind you are thinking of. I've been around lots of people in Charleston today and yet, the anger and division is found on this site today. Pretty sad.

I'm trying hard to avoid painting with a broad brush here. When I lived in the south, I heard racist and sexist jokes and remarks in executive meeting rooms, from very high ranking people in the corporate world. I heard it at the drug store, in church, elsewhere. Fortunately, I worked and lived with other transplants from the north, so these people were called out for their offensive talk.

I think the problem is more one of de-sensitization. I don't think all people in the south are racist. There are racists all over the US. But most good people in conservative areas have grown up hearing that talk most of their lives and, even if they don't engage in it themselves, they don't realize how bad it sounds to people who aren't used to it. They don't realize the corrosive effect it has on their communities.

It's gotten so bad I don't even want to visit family or go on vacation in most areas of the south. I guess I've been away from it so long I can't stand being around it.

As for racism and bigotry on the internet and media, yes its an epidemic. We hear it at family gatherings, see it on tv, hear it on the radio. All of these actions and words have a corrosive effect on the public discourse, on concepts of common decency, right and wrong. Call me politically correct, I don't mind at all. Its time to start confronting and talking down racism and bigotry, even the soft kind. There's no value in reinforcing the beliefs of racist criminals by allowing them to think their ideas are mainstream.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
diannewl