FL FL - Austin Stephanos & Perry Cohen, both 14, Jupiter, 24 July 2015 - #1

Status
Not open for further replies.
The other pic is edited - part of it looks like the color was simply messed with but the other half it looks like it was definitely very edited. My issue was with them saying the photos in general were fake, which they were not.

One thing I noticed is I can't see the supposed "life jacket" in the original photo at all. But maybe I'm blind.

Sure wish they'd had EPIRB. Praying that they are found.

They wouldn't wash up in the Bahamas because of the Gulf Stream. The area that buoy is in is where the GS curves to the east; and where the search teams predicted the boys could be by possibly tomorrow morning. It's a bit early but the strong winds in the area may have helped.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Look up the facebook page for the missing Nina. Of course, the families are still looking over a year later "just in case"...

Lost at sea is about the worst I can think of because the families get no closure: no body, no story of what happened....

From what I remember, the families have no idea how many life jackets were on board, apparently no ditch bag that I have read about, no Epirb, and the boys didnt take boater safety classes. (Apparently they werent supposed to be that far out without an adult either....)

Its a nightmare for the families and my heart really goes out to them. I can't imagine much worse with a child involved. Its the not knowing that is going to haunt them...

bbm

Could you explain to me dummy what those items are and/or do? Thanks! :)

The other pic is edited - part of it looks like the color was simply messed with but the other half it looks like it was definitely very edited. My issue was with them saying the photos in general were fake, which they were not.

One thing I noticed is I can't see the supposed "life jacket" in the original photo at all. But maybe I'm blind.

Which pic are you referring to? I can guarantee that none of the pictures I've posted have been edited in any way. They're direct links and a screenshot from my phone that I cropped.

The supposed "lifejacket" pic is the last one in the 3:10 set; but I think it's actually seaweed.

Which pic are you referring to? I can guarantee that none of the pictures I've posted have been edited in any way. They're direct links and a screenshot from my phone that I cropped.

The supposed "lifejacket" pic is the last one in the 3:10 set; but I think it's actually seaweed.

No not yours - the other ones. The photos that look edited it looks 100% like a life jacket. The other one doesn't.

Oh yeah those are more edit than actual picture...

Yeah, you had warned us before about that "FB Group Gone Wild" :)

That particular object just looks way too long to me to be the ice chest. And it has a distinct blue section in the middle.

It almost looks like a large long rubber boat bumper that people would use to keep their boat from dinging into a dock.

Something like in this link but maybe a longer one.

https://www.polyformus.com/c-2-fenders.aspx

Yes! I don't know about the boat bumpers but what I saw in the picture reminded me of a swimming pool divider. My parents owned a small apartment complex way back in the late 1960's and this is what was in the pool.

http://www.amazon.com/Swimming-Safety-Divider-Inground-Pools-16/dp/B00HCGF6PY

R
(Respectfully snipped)

From what I remember, the families have no idea how many life jackets were on board, apparently no ditch bag that I have read about, no Epirb, and the boys didnt take boater safety classes. (Apparently they werent supposed to be that far out without an adult either....)

The boys did take a class & passed.
http://www.tampabay.com/sports/outd...reinforce-need-for-safety-precautions/2239051
A spokesman for the Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission said both boys had taken the boating safety class required for young boaters and passed.

http://www.nbcnews.com/video/nbc-news/57677609
AND it's been stated many times by family & close friends there were 4 life jackets on board.
JMO

Hi Everyone,

Just a friendly reminder, please don't bring FB photos or links to FB pages here. Thank you!

I'm not trying to bash the parents, everything is different with hindsight. I realize they had the license they were supposed too and the grew up around the water, and it is not uncommon for kids their age to have their own boat and take it out. But as a parent myself I would make sure they would have had all the safety equipment possible on board and even a tracking device if possible. You can track anything these days so I'm sure you could a boat. The reality is even though they may have taken the boat out many times without problems, they went out when a storm was about to hit when experienced boaters were coming back in. Teenagers decision making process especially in an emergency no matter how experienced they were would not be at the level of an experienced adult boater.

I have a feeling the coast guard search will be called off soon, I fear they will never be found :-(

Thanks for the clarification about the classes and life jackets.

And sorry I didn't explain:

A ditch bag is an emergency bouyant bag with things like flares, canned food, bottled water etc. it is meant to free float (you dont store it... It it meant to be out in a place where it has the best chance of falling free or floating free from the boat in an emergency situation).

An EPIRB is a personal locator beacon. There are two types: an automatic one that automatically calls for help when it hits the water (mostly used in commercial boats) and one you have to press the button yourself. You simply press the button and it sends your coordinates with a distress call. Its not a two way radio so once you hit the button, you dont know if anyone received the signal until help shows up.

I'm not trying to bash the parents, everything is different with hindsight. I realize they had the license they were supposed too and the grew up around the water, and it is not uncommon for kids their age to have their own boat and take it out. But as a parent myself I would make sure they would have had all the safety equipment possible on board and even a tracking device if possible. You can track anything these days so I'm sure you could a boat. The reality is even though they may have taken the boat out many times without problems, they went out when a storm was about to hit when experienced boaters were coming back in. Teenagers decision making process especially in an emergency no matter how experienced they were would not be at the level of an experienced adult boater.

I have a feeling the coast guard search will be called off soon, I fear they will never be found :-(

BBM

That is what I think is the main problem with 14 yr olds doing adult activities by themselves. They can be perfectly well versed in steering the boat, safety rules, etc. But they have very little common sense at this age. They saw all of the other boats coming back in, and continued heading straight into the storm. So heartbreaking. :cry: :cry:

I don't think they are going to be recovered safely. :rose: :rose:

Thanks for the clarification about the classes and life jackets.

And sorry I didn't explain:

A ditch bag is an emergency bouyant bag with things like flares, canned food, bottled water etc. it is meant to free float (you dont store it... It it meant to be out in a place where it has the best chance of falling free or floating free from the boat in an emergency situation).

An EPIRB is a personal locator beacon. There are two types: an automatic one that automatically calls for help when it hits the water (mostly used in commercial boats) and one you have to press the button yourself. You simply press the button and it sends your coordinates with a distress call. Its not a two way radio so once you hit the button, you dont know if anyone received the signal until help shows up.

Sorry if I've missed it, is it confirmed they didn't have either of those things? That is so sad if so, things could be so different if they had.

BBM

That is what I think is the main problem with 14 yr olds doing adult activities by themselves. They can be perfectly well versed in steering the boat, safety rules, etc. But they have very little common sense at this age. They saw all of the other boats coming back in, and continued heading straight into the storm. So heartbreaking. :cry: :cry:

I don't think they are going to be recovered safely. :rose: :rose:

Some theorize that men's cerebral cortex (the part of the brain that acts like the Captain of our decision-making) isn't fully developed until the ages of 24-27 yrs old.
I've heard it speculated by researchers many times...

Remember those two scuba divers that got left behind and were never found... probably eaten by sharks according to the movie? That is what I imagine happened here. jmo

Some theorize that men's cerebral cortex (the part of the brain that acts like the Captain of our decision-making) isn't fully developed until the ages of 24-27 yrs old.
I've heard it speculated by researchers many times...

I believe it. I couldn't believe some of the bone headed things my son and his friends did at 14 and 15. They just feel like nothing can go wrong, even when doing stupid, ill conceived, pointless dangerous things. I used to work in a high school. It never ceased to amaze me, some of the poorly thought out decisions many intelligent students made.

I really feel badly for the parents because I am sure they meant well and thought their boys were going to follow the basic rules. But two 14 yr olds, totally in charge---very dangerous sometimes.

I believe it. I couldn't believe some of the bone headed things my son and his friends did at 14 and 15. They just feel like nothing can go wrong, even when doing stupid, ill conceived, pointless dangerous things. I used to work in a high school. It never ceased to amaze me, some of the poorly thought out decisions many intelligent students made.

I really feel badly for the parents because I am sure they meant well and thought their boys were going to follow the basic rules. But two 14 yr olds, totally in charge---very dangerous sometimes.
My husband and I always joked that when 2 teenaged boys get together, their IQ's halve and when 3 get together, their IQ's are 1/3. With that being said, it's only by the grace of God that most survive. Still hoping against hope for a miracle.

I feel terribly for the parents I couldn't imagine anything worse than your kids being missing let alone in the ocean. It has been reported that the kids text their parents either before they left or as they were leaving as they had to at least check in when going out on the boat. Not that I would let my 14 year old on a boat with another 14 year old but If I had known they were planning a trip I would be making sure to check the weather, I would have inspected the boat each and every time they wanted to take it out to make sure they had the correct supplies, made sandwiches, check they had ice and drinks. Check they had enough life jackets on board, check the radio was working. Tell them if a storm popped up unexpectedly to immediately head back in. So many things can go wrong with a boat, I was on a lake the other day and we had to tow in another boat whose engine had died.

We don't know for sure if they didnt have a ditch bag or EPIRB. If they had the hand held epirb, it may have sunk or something and couldn't press the button.

If anyone finds specific information, please post it. If they took the boater safety and had life jackets, they probably did have the ditch bag, though the epirb maybe not if they mostly stayed in inlets and lakes.

Boaters respect the rules for the most part, so I'll assume they had some or most of those things, if not all.

I think it has been too long though... I think the end result is the same.

I'd like to read a report when it is all done. We can all learn from these things (unfortunately). Their story will help others.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nahnah_2015