Oscar Pistorius - Discussion Thread #62 ~ the appeal~

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is easy to answer if you believe that his version is reasonably possibly true.

He shoots Reeva by mistake then is suddenly facing a murder charge. The circumstances make it look bad for him and he knows that the only way out is to make a court believe that was what really happened. The temptation to lie where you felt the ends would justify the means would be great especially if you had no faith in the system that was testing you. If you were a despicable character it would probably be even easier.

bbm
Sorry, Trotterly, that's just what we need. Poor boy.

So you misinterpreted my post to imply I thought killers shouldn't be defended in court, when it was obvious (to most people) that I was talking about posters defending them, not their rights in court.

BIB - Also, please don't put words in my mouth. I did not agree anything about a libellous post. Twisting what people say to try and support your views is pretty desperate and probably against WS policy.

Its the same principle. He's either entitled to be defended or not, in court or on a forum.

I'm not putting any words in your mouth. I would have said that libelling someone is the desperate act wouldn't you say?

bbm
Sorry, Trotterly, that's just what we need. Poor boy.

So you think that everyone falsely charged with murder will be ok to trust in the court to see the truth and not be tempted to help themselves in a desperate situation?

At one time the law felt the same, but after some miscarriages of justice the law realised that it's not a straightforward battle between good and evil.

For the same reason he called earwitnesses without a recording of the screams they heard: to set pistorius's version in dispute, to undermine his claims, by using one or more Netcare staff to challenge his account. after all, why would Netcare lie about the conversation?

It may well have been a lie. But as I said it may have been either embellished but based on something that happened. (eg perhaps he recalls a time when he thought someone shot at him/someone actually did shoot at him, but he carried on driving , or stopped to calm down then drove home.) or perhaps one of his former friends who turned against him eg fresco picked him up and ppistorius believed he wouldn't back the story up?
(personally, I think it was probably an embellishment to make it all more dramatic)

bbm

Sarcasm: I can't understand this friend, obviously weak in character.

So you think that everyone falsely charged with murder will be ok to trust in the court to see the truth and not be tempted to help themselves in a desperate situation?

At one time the law felt the same, but after some miscarriages of justice the law realised that it's not a straightforward battle between good and evil.

bbm
IMO, he was not falsely charged.

So you misinterpreted my post to imply I thought killers shouldn't be defended in court, when it was obvious (to most people) that I was talking about posters defending them, not their rights in court.

BIB - Also, please don't put words in my mouth. I did not agree anything about a libellous post. Twisting what people say to try and support your views is pretty desperate and probably against WS policy.

Why shouldn't posters point out the deficiencies in the state's case?

OT

http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/news/...-adelaides-south/story-fni6uo1m-1227263462660

A 34-year-old man has been charged with the murder of a 27 year-old woman whose body was found in a car at Hackham West yesterday.

Two young children sounded a car horn after finding their mother’s lifeless body in a car at their Hackham West home on Sunday, sparking a police manhunt for the woman’s partner.

A neighbour has told The Advertiser she heard “bloodcurdling screams” at 4am.

She had heard arguing between the couple throughout the night and on one occasion, had asked them to quieten down.

Police said they were treating the death as suspicious and investigating the possibility it was the result of a domestic dispute.

Another neighbour said he heard a horn sound and dogs barking early in the morning.

But several other neighbours said they heard nothing out of the ordinary.

“It is an eerie feeling to think that could happen without anyone hearing anything,” a neighbour said.

These Australian news reminded me of OP and his case. Hopefully the statement of the Australian witnesses, who heard something (DV, screams, dogs) will be accepted. Hopefully the timeline will be okay and accurat and this DV-murderer will get the appropriate penalty.

.... and now .... :eek:fftobed:

bbm
IMO, he was not falsely charged.

I think you have completely missed the point.

His behaviour may be what you expect of a murderer but it is also consistent with someone falsely accused but you won't be able to see that if you cannot see past your view of him as a murderer.

OT

http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/news/...-adelaides-south/story-fni6uo1m-1227263462660

A 34-year-old man has been charged with the murder of a 27 year-old woman whose body was found in a car at Hackham West yesterday.

Two young children sounded a car horn after finding their mother’s lifeless body in a car at their Hackham West home on Sunday, sparking a police manhunt for the woman’s partner.

A neighbour has told The Advertiser she heard “bloodcurdling screams” at 4am.

She had heard arguing between the couple throughout the night and on one occasion, had asked them to quieten down.

Police said they were treating the death as suspicious and investigating the possibility it was the result of a domestic dispute.

Another neighbour said he heard a horn sound and dogs barking early in the morning.

But several other neighbours said they heard nothing out of the ordinary.

“It is an eerie feeling to think that could happen without anyone hearing anything,” a neighbour said.

These Australian news reminded me of OP and his case. Hopefully the statement of the Australian witnesses, who heard something (DV, screams, dogs) will be accepted. Hopefully the timeline will be okay and accurat and this DV-murderer will get the appropriate penalty.

.... and now .... :eek:fftobed:

Wow. Do tell how you know he did it!

His behaviour may be what you expect of a murderer but it is also consistent with someone falsely accused but you won't be able to see that if you cannot see past your view of him as a murderer.
His behaviour may be what you expect from someone falsely accused, but it is also consistent with that of a murderer. You won't be able to see that if you cannot see past your view of him as innocent.

His behaviour may be what you expect from someone falsely accused, but it is also consistent with that of a murderer. You won't be able to see that if you cannot see past your view of him as innocent.

Absolutely.

But in this case it's an appeal by the prosecution so there's no appeal on the facts. And it's common practice for the SCA to read only the parts of the record that are relevant to the appeal at hand.http://www.justice.gov.za/sca/rules.html

I'd be more than a little surprised if posters on this forum didn't know that this is not an appeal on the facts. The appeal by the State is based on the fact that Masipa misdirected herself on her interpretation of the law.
The SCA will review the facts and then consider the basis of the appeal.

Nowhere is it stated or implied in the SCA Rules that “it’s common practice to read only the parts of the record that are relevant to the appeal at hand”. What it does state is:

“8. Record.—(1) An appellant shall within three months of the lodging of the notice of appeal lodge with the registrar six copies of the record of the proceedings in the court a quo and deliver to each respondent such number of copies as may be considered necessary or as may reasonably be requested by the respondent”.

It further states:

“8. (7) (a) A core bundle of documents shall be prepared if to do so is appropriate to the appeal”.

This is at the court’s discretion as to whether or not it’s appropriate and the court has decided it is.

Paragraphs 8.(8)(e) and 8.(9)(e) relate to whether or not the parties agree to parts only of the record being provided. This was what Roux asked for and got. Nel wanted to provide the entire record.

However,

8. (9) (e) If the parties agree to limit the record, only those parts of the record of the proceedings in the court a quo as are agreed upon shall be contained in the record lodged with the registrar: Provided that the Court may call for the full record and may order full argument of the whole case.

Just today I remember OP's behavior what I expect of a liar and murderer who hadn't an ounce of remorse plus shame and to whom hadn't happened an accident:

The disgraced Olympic superstar zoomed in on an FHM cover girl at a party just 52 days after the Valentine's Day killing at his Silver Woods Estate home in Pretoria last year.

Bizarrely, the object of his attention, Kesiah Frank, bears a striking resemblance to the slain woman.

Frank is also, like Steenkamp, a beautiful blonde model who holds a law degree.

The details of Pistorius's behaviour in private - along with excessive drinking - are in sharp contrast to his public demeanour since Steenkamp's death.

He has been at pains to portray himself as an emotionally broken man during the months of his murder trial at the High Court in Pretoria.

http://www.timeslive.co.za/local/20...double-just-52-days-after-shooting-girlfriend

.....you're using the word behaviour for me it goes far beyond that, it completely and totally stinks of someone getting off lightly...........and that's what's wrong......

Wow. Do tell how you know he did it!

That's very easy and unproblematic with us two: You will see a man who exercises (domestic) violence until murder (probably in this case also, although I haven't been present of course) as a poor man, who didn't nothing deliberately and from malignancy. I will see a man who exercises (domestic) violence until murder as a bad character, nasty, without control, reckless, emotionless, babarous. If this man is lying and if he denies and if he uses his ties/money to get out of this thing, I will see him nothing than "guilty".

I have not been on this thread for quite awhile. When does OP get released? Soon, IIRC. :mad:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
liskfanatic63