Oscar Pistorius - Discussion Thread #63 ~ the appeal~

Status
Not open for further replies.
~snipped~

It is easy to claim the figleaf of justification for biased views by claiming to represent the victim but without any checks or balances, this viewpoint can be allowed to excuse all sorts of claims and the accused has no right of appeal against these claims.
It is easy to claim the figleaf of justification for biased views by claiming to be 'open minded' and interested in justice, but without any checks or balances, this viewpoint can be allowed to excuse all sorts of claims and the dead victims have no right of appeal against these claims...

............is there a mod around....a little clarification on the 'raison d'etre' of this discussion.......is it a general discussion about the case or primarily around the victim...... ? Please..

Way, way back during the trial there was at least one FM who posted some very negative comments about Reeva - I believe repeating very scurrilous rumours originally put about by some woman with a seriously delusional OP obsession. I can remember posting how appalling I thought that was at the time.

That particular FM crossed the line on numerous occasions and is no longer a member. Depending on when any appeal starts up discussion could get quite lively again, so mentioning the WS rules of engagement doesn't seem entirely unreasonable.

Thinking that the state didn't make its case has absolutely nothing to do with bashing Reeva. If any posters start making nasty comments about Reeva, you can report them or inform them of the rules of engagement at that point.

............is there a mod around....a little clarification on the 'raison d'etre' of this discussion.......is it a general discussion about the case or primarily around the victim...... ? Please..
It's a general discussion about the case while maintaining respect for both the victims and their families.

Oscar Pistorius' early release blocked by minister, Google it.

Something good happened today.

Blimey - it's like old times on here. Good to see you back Viper. It amuses me to recollect that I had a "mini-debate" with you way back when I first joined, right at start of trial, as I was expressing sympathy for OP - suffice to say the trial, particularly Op's testimony has opened my eyes since then. I'll bet you don't remember but I do.
( It's relevant now as some posters assume many belong to an OP lynch mob on here and for many of us it started out fairly impartial.)

Urmmm! I was replying to the poster quoted. I don't think that was you. :)

I think we're all just replying to each others' posts without too much reference as to who made the original comment. I don't know if that's the best approach - I like it -but perhaps if you don't, maybe you should ask the thread what everyone would prefer :).

Just wanted to say a big hi to Zweibel, Viper, Lyra500, tulessa and seattlechiquita.

It's great to see you all again :D

It's a general discussion about the case while maintaining respect for both the victims and their families.

.....after the recent interlude i think that would be best coming from a mod ........with respect .....just a little clarification of what you've just said .....people invest a lot in time and thought on here it would be a shame if wasn't directed where it should be .......

Their role is to support victims through the court process and offer other practical help as needed. It is not to decide on the guilt or innocence of the accused. I expect you can volunteer to do this but you'd be trained and would operate within guidelines and it would not be your role to discuss the ins and outs of the evidence with a view to deciding on guilt or innocence of the accused. This forum appears to be discussing the court case with that aim in mind. I can't see where victim advocacy comes in.

Hang on...unless I missed a lot, Oscar Pistorius isn't 'accused'; he's a found-guilty, bona fida killer? So his guilt as far as advocates, professional or not, are concerned, is not an issue here, surely?

And with a legally convicted killer, we obviously have a legally certified victim - Reeva. So there is only one side now. Hers.

You're not suggesting people here should be 'taking sides' into account for a convicted killer here on WS, surely?

L'émotion de la victime?

.....after the recent interlude i think that would be best coming from a mod ........with respect .....
You asked a question. I answered it. The mods have pointed this out on many occasions. If you want absolute confirmation, perhaps PM one of them... with respect.

.....after the recent interlude i think that would be best coming from a mod ........with respect .....just a little clarification of what you've just said .....people invest a lot in time and thought on here it would be a shame if wasn't directed where it should be .......

Just alert on your own post on the little triangle bottom left, then send a msg to a mod asking for clarification. That may be best.

Hang on...unless I missed a lot, Oscar Pistorius isn't 'accused'; he's a found-guilty, bona fida killer? So his guilt as far as advocates, professional or not, are concerned, is not an issue here, surely?

And with a legally convincted killer, we obviously have a legally certified victim - Reeva. So there is only one side now. Hers.

You're not suggesting people here should be 'taking sides' into account for a convicted killer here on WS, surely?
Well said zweibel. The fact he's still being referred to as the 'accused' by a select few just goes to show the level of denial going on. His correct title is 'convicted killer'.

BIB - it would appear we are expected to show the same sympathy for a convicted killer as for the victim he killed. If we don't show the same compassion, we are treating OP like an animal.

You asked a question. I answered it. The mods have pointed this out on many occasions. If you want absolute confirmation, perhaps PM one of them... with respect.

.........so what's all this talk about a victims forum ?..................................................................................with respect.

It ought to be a general discussion which maintains respect for everyone involved imo. It's easy - stick to the evidence and miss out all the gossip and information from dodgy sources.

Well said zweibel. The fact he's still being referred to as the 'accused' by a select few just goes to show the level of denial going on. His correct title is 'convicted killer'.

BIB - it would appear we are expected to show the same sympathy for a convicted killer as for the victim he killed. If we don't show the same compassion, we are treating OP like an animal.

......hasn't that changed since the anouncement of the appeal .......?

......hasn't that changed since the anouncement of the appeal .......?

No. I don't know why you would think that, as that isn't the system in France either. A convicted killer is a convicted killer until and unless that conviction is overturned.

Blimey - it's like old times on here. Good to see you back Viper. It amuses me to recollect that I had a "mini-debate" with you way back when I first joined, right at start of trial, as I was expressing sympathy for OP - suffice to say the trial, particularly Op's testimony has opened my eyes since then. I'll bet you don't remember but I do.
( It's relevant now as some posters assume many belong to an OP lynch mob on here and for many of us it started out fairly impartial.)

No I don't specifically remember our debate(s) (heated arguments) because I had so freaking many of them here, and had the follow-on requisite (unfair at times) timeouts, that it is all a blur to me now. No worries, he's a convicted felon now (I was right then?), and the news today is a huge gift to all of the women of South Africa. I'm looking forward to the court upgrading his conviction and his sentence very soon. I suppose Osca is hitting the prison gym really hard about right now working out his childish and petty anger management issues, poor baby.

BTW I saw an image if Reeva today, I hadn't followed this for many months now, she was just so beautiful.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AndieLiz