Oscar Pistorius - Discussion Thread #63 ~ the appeal~

Status
Not open for further replies.
R: Did parole board respond...why did they sit 4 mnths before they shld have paroled an offender?

MJ Not necessary I give rep from them to justify their decision. I represent law...

R: There are other ppl involved here - offender. He may complain?

MJ: That's why we communicated our decision. To the um, um legal rep...we believe offender's right cannot poss be affected in this case...law clear; you cannot be considered before min period.There is no right,in my view..

R: Reality is, he was told 4 mnths ago he wld be walking out of the prison; that alone wld have affected him...surely he has some rights?

MJ: How many times has someone been convicted, acquitted.....decision must be based not on sympathy but an understanding of the law.

End. MJ was't exactly clear on how this mistake happened, in my opinion.

MJ ...In the light of number of decisions (then quotes another case) I've rejected a lot of parole applications...caused me to look at the machinery. There's a lot of work to be done. I've committed over nxt 12 mnths to try and improve the efficiency.

Yes welcome back. It is like old times, with you transcribing. Did you have delicious pastries for breakfast today? And hello to a few other familiar `faces'. :)

Yes welcome back. It is like old times, with you transcribing. Did you have delicious pastries for breakfast today? And hello to a few other familiar `faces'. :)

Nah. Used to get the pastries when I walked my dog and he died and broke my heart. :(

Had this weird stuff today; cream cheese mixed with onions and herbs that's spread on bread instead of butter. Unfortunately, I managed to mistake some VERY sweet breakfast rolls for pretzels in the baker's the other day and the combination definitely did not work!

What's a victim's forum? You aren't the victim in this case so you can't mean it's a forum for victims of the crime under discussion. So it must mean that you take the side of the victim as there can be no other interpretation of a victim's forum if it's not for actual victims. I did read your words.

I know this wasn't addressed to me but I'd like to lend a hand:

A victims' forum is a forum for victims.

When they have been murdered they obviously can't post themselves.

So people make posts and write about the victims on their behalf. 'Taking the side of the victim' is more often stated as 'victim advocacy'.

They especially deserve it when they have been silenced, in my opinion.

Yes, we are victim friendly. We don't bash victims, and it's against the TOS if that helps.

Erm, and who has bashed the victim? Not me or anyone as far as I can see so I'm not sure how that's relevant.

A victims' forum is a forum for victims.. 'Taking the side of the victim' is more often stated as 'victim advocacy'.

RSBM

Very nicely put

A victims' forum is a forum for victims.

When they have been murdered they obviously can't post themselves.

So people make posts and write about the victims on their behalf. 'Taking the side of the victim' is more often stated as 'victim advocacy'.

They especially deserve it when they have been silenced, in my opinion.

I'm sure you mean well but a victim advocate is a professional who has a specific role in helping victims through the court process. A group of random people giving their views about a trial, some at least of whom are unfamiliar with key evidence and who have little legal knowledge are just expressing their views about a court case. That is all. It is easy to claim the figleaf of justification for biased views by claiming to represent the victim but without any checks or balances, this viewpoint can be allowed to excuse all sorts of claims and the accused has no right of appeal against these claims.

Personally, I'd never claim to represent anyone other than myself.

Erm, and who has bashed the victim? Not me or anyone as far as I can see so I'm not sure how that's relevant.

Way, way back during the trial there was at least one FM who posted some very negative comments about Reeva - I believe repeating very scurrilous rumours originally put about by some woman with a seriously delusional OP obsession. I can remember posting how appalling I thought that was at the time.

That particular FM crossed the line on numerous occasions and is no longer a member. Depending on when any appeal starts up discussion could get quite lively again, so mentioning the WS rules of engagement doesn't seem entirely unreasonable.

Urmmm! I was replying to the poster quoted. I don't think that was you. :)

And, I never said there was bashing. Have a nice day. :)

Way, way back during the trial there was at least one FM who posted some very negative comments about Reeva - I believe repeating very scurrilous rumours originally put about by some woman with a seriously delusional OP obsession. I can remember posting how appalling I thought that was at the time.

That particular FM crossed the line on numerous occasions and is no longer a member. Depending on when any appeal starts up discussion could get quite lively again, so mentioning the WS rules of engagement doesn't seem entirely unreasonable.

So it's a sort of preemptive attack on a potential threat in order to protect Reeva's name, based on prior knowledge of similar attacks ?

......sorry but i'm lost.......so what is this discussion all about....i thought it was about the case in general i didn't realise that it concerned primarily the victim.......?

I'm sure you mean well but a victim advocate is a professional who has a specific role in helping victims through the court process. A group of random people giving their views about a trial, some at least of whom are unfamiliar with key evidence and who have little legal knowledge are just expressing their views about a court case. That is all. It is easy to claim the figleaf of justification for biased views by claiming to represent the victim but without any checks or balances, this viewpoint can be allowed to excuse all sorts of claims and the accused has no right of appeal against these claims.

Personally, I'd never claim to represent anyone other than myself.

Is a victims' advocate strictly a legal concept/role in South Africa? That's really unusual.

Is a victims' advocate strictly a legal concept/role in South Africa? That's really unusual.

Their role is to support victims through the court process and offer other practical help as needed. It is not to decide on the guilt or innocence of the accused. I expect you can volunteer to do this but you'd be trained and would operate within guidelines and it would not be your role to discuss the ins and outs of the evidence with a view to deciding on guilt or innocence of the accused. This forum appears to be discussing the court case with that aim in mind. I can't see where victim advocacy comes in.

Oscar Pistorius' early release blocked by minister, Google it.

Something good happened today.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members