TX - Sandra Bland, 28, found dead in jail cell, Waller County, 13 July 2015 #3

Sandra's life was about more than happened at one traffic stop and in the few days after. Reducing her to nothing other than her run-in with BE makes me sick. JMO.

The road is being named after her because of that incident, right?

Fair enough. :) Thanks for being willing to edit and also clarify your meaning about "feeling threatened." Personally, I don't have a huge problem with the road. It's a small thing in light of the whole issue, even though in principle I think it's unwise. I guess time will tell whether it creates dialogue or further escalates poor behavior on both sides.

YW and thanks for bringing it to my attention. I did read the post wrong. I wasn't able to edit my second post on this matter but did catch the one to Katy.
I agree it is small in the scope of things but I think it's small gesture that just might help in the short term. IMO

YW and thanks for bringing it to my attention. I did read the post wrong. I wasn't able to edit my second post on this matter but did catch the one to Katy.
I agree it is small in the scope of things but I think it's small gesture that just might help in the short term. IMO

I agree. It's a small gesture, a nice thing to do, but IMO years from now it's going to be "Bland Avenue" and who knows why it's called that. I drive on roads named after people all the time* and have no idea how or why they got their names.

It's really not that big of a deal but, imo, people like to get exercised about certain things.

*I just looked up one. It's named after a horse. For the last 10 years I thought it was after a hockey player.

Were it not for Sandy, it's unlikely that Texas lawmakers would be meeting next month to discuss ways of preventing further jail suicides. They've admitted as much. Yet, over 50 people have died by suicide in a Texas jail in just the last two years. I realize some people feel they've suicided and it's their own fault or that they're bad people because they've broken the law...but to me, each of those 50+ people means something to someone. Sandy's choices may well lead to saving another person's sister or mother someday.

And that's where I'm at. I'd hate someday to be characterized for the sum total of my mistakes - of which there are a great many. Mistakes are what make us want to do better and be better though.

JMO

Were it not for Sandy, it's unlikely that Texas lawmakers would be meeting next month to discuss ways of preventing further jail suicides. They've admitted as much. Yet, over 50 people have died by suicide in a Texas jail in just the last two years. I realize some people feel they've suicided and it's their own fault or that they're bad people because they've broken the law...but to me, each of those 50+ people means something to someone. Sandy's choices may well lead to saving another person's sister or mother someday.

And that's where I'm at. I'd hate someday to be characterized for the sum total of my mistakes - of which there are a great many. Mistakes are what make us want to do better and be better though.

JMO

I highly doubt that she committed suicide in order to have the legislature make these changes. The state makes changes after many tragic incidents but it does not always mean the people involved should be set forth as heroes. Our inner city kids are in dire need of role models to look up to. It saddens me that the road to the University will have her name on it. Surely there are better role models for our youth to model themselves after. JMO

I agree. It's a small gesture, a nice thing to do, but IMO years from now it's going to be "Bland Avenue" and who knows why it's called that. I drive on roads named after people all the time* and have no idea how or why they got their names.

It's really not that big of a deal but, imo, people like to get exercised about certain things.

*I just looked up one. It's named after a horse. For the last 10 years I thought it was after a hockey player.

I do get 'exercised' about certain things. For many years I took great interest in finding role models for my mixed race kids. Most of the heroes they 'recognized' were rappers or athletes. I didn't really mind that but wanted there to be a greater variety. But recently there has been a huge focus upon blacks killed while resisting arrest or fleeing from a crime. They make the rappers and athletes look great in comparison. My kids are grown so it is not the same urgency, personally. But in general, I see it as a problem. Suddenly it is considered the ultimate heroic action to fight a cop during a traffic stop. I hope it does not get worse but I think it will.

I do get 'exercised' about certain things. For many years I took great interest in finding role models for my mixed race kids. Most of the heroes they 'recognized' were rappers or athletes. I didn't really mind that but wanted there to be a greater variety. But recently there has been a huge focus upon blacks killed while resisting arrest or fleeing from a crime. They make the rappers and athletes look great in comparison. My kids are grown so it is not the same urgency, personally. But in general, I see it as a problem. Suddenly it is considered the ultimate heroic action to fight a cop during a traffic stop. I hope it does not get worse but I think it will.

There are so many great role models probably right in your neighborhood. And if not, How about scientists , doctors, inventors. Fathers, mothers, sisters, brothers.

And so many unsung heroes of the past. So many

There are so many great role models probably right in your neighborhood. And if not, How about scientists , doctors, inventors. Fathers, mothers, sisters, brothers.

Of course there are. But I am speaking about role models set forth by mass media and social media. And right now Mike Brown is one of the biggest heroes according to BLM> Not Anthony Sadler, who is a true noble and brave hero.

IMO we have to be very, very careful about who we choose as role models. Years ago Lance Armstrong was a great role model. Until recently people looked up to and admired Bill Cosby. I could name many more. The list goes on and on.

IMO we have to be very, very careful about who we choose as role models. Years ago Lance Armstrong was a great role model. Until recently people looked up to and admired Bill Cosby. I could name many more. The list goes on and on.

You are both quite right about role models. But bringing it back to naming a street after Sandra Bland, personally I wouldn't choose her as a role model for the students at her college. She lived a very short, troubled life. It's unknown what she would have accomplished. But there are many black Americans who could be honored by naming a road near a university after them, who have left a lasting legacy. Here is a link to ones who were inventors, some of whom were also civil rights activists.

http://www.biography.com/people/groups/famous-black-inventors

You are both quite right about role models. But bringing it back to naming a street after Sandra Bland, personally I wouldn't choose her as a role model for the students at her college. She lived a very short, troubled life. It's unknown what she would have accomplished. But there are many black Americans who could be honored by naming a road near a university after them, who have left a lasting legacy. Here is a link to ones who were inventors, some of whom were also civil rights activists.

http://www.biography.com/people/groups/famous-black-inventors

I hope no one thinks the street was going to be named after Neil deGrasse Tyson but the honor went to Sandra Bland instead. There are plenty of streets. I don't believe this was an either/or decision.

There are all kinds of honors bestowed. Does Custer have anything named after him?

There are others I don't approve of, but I won't go into it.

Maybe Sandra represents some things to people such as the possibilty of one of us being in those shoes.

I liked her discussiions. I forget. Were they on you tube? To me she tried to give hope in her messages,

More articles

https://www.washingtonpost.com/poli...utality/?noredirect=on&utm_term=.0f7f68fc02fc

Sandra Bland, It Turns Out, Filmed Traffic Stop Confrontation Herself

WFAA TV investigative report

Sandra Bland recorded her own arrest. Watch her cellphone video from the 2015 traffic stop

Cannon Lambert, the attorney who represented the Bland family, said the video was not produced during discovery, which was done under seal, in their federal lawsuit.

“I’ve not seen it,” said Lambert, when shown the video by Brian Collister, chief reporter with the Investigative Network.

“If they had turned it over, I would have seen it, Brian. I’ve not seen that,” Lambert said when shown the video in his Chicago law office.

Lambert and Bland family members said the video takes them inside her car, where they can experience the confrontation and her arrest as if through Bland’s own eyes.

Bland was on the way to the grocery store when DPS Trooper Brian Encinia pulled her over for failing to use her turn signal when she changed lanes. The initial stop was recorded on dash cam.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
buggy8993
Back