SC - Columbia - Sheriff Slams Female Student to Floor In Class

Status
Not open for further replies.
Perhaps the better avenue would be for teachers to stop thinking they are the Lord of their own fiefdom and learn to treat every student with respect. Tell the student why taking on the phone is not beneficial to her or conducive to the learning environment, then politely request she put the phone away or step into the hallway.

Threatening to steal a student's phone and then finding a bully with a badge to threaten her further is not conducive to the learning environment either.

The break down of respect goes both ways.

This is a math class. If one teacher in a class full of 35 teens has any hopes of teaching the math lessons, she has to be the Lord of her Fiefdom. There is no other way.

Do you seriously believe that one adult in a room full of 35 teens can possibly negotiate every broken rule in the way you describe? How will she have time to teach the math lesson and go over the homework?

Whatever happened to respect for authority? Do parents just not teach their children that anymore? I know I posed a question, but I really don't want any responses. Thank you!

I'm wondering what happened to respect period.

Imo, the biggest thing Officer Fields aka ' officer slam' and his superior officer taught some of the younger generation today was, don't hand over your cell phone video to the cops. Sad.

Imo, the biggest thing Officer Fields aka ' officer slam' and his superior officer taught some of the younger generation today was, don't hand over your cell phone video to the cops. Sad.

How did he teach them that?

I think they taught them "We don't care about you or your physical safety." JMO.

What has the student been charged with?

Richland County Sheriff Leon Lott told WIS-TV that the school resource officer (SRO) was responding to a student who was refusing to leave class. "The student was told she was under arrest for disturbing school and given instructions, which she again refused," Lott said. "The video then shows the student resisting and being arrested by the SRO."

http://www.motherjones.com/mojo/2015/10/video-school-cop-body-slams-and-drags-black-female-student

So she was under arrest. So punching him was not 'defending herself.' It was resisting arrest.

I think they taught them "We don't care about you or your physical safety." JMO.

I think they taught them that if the teacher and vice principal and deputy , all ask that you do something, then you must do it. Otherwise force will be used.

This could likely be a more accurate reflection of preceding events that we have heard so far -

According to a classmate, the student in question had peeked at her cellphone during class. When the teacher tried to take the phone away, the student refused to hand it over, and when a school administrator told her to leave the class, she stayed at her desk, which is when Fields was summoned.

The sheriff’s department has placed Fields on administrative leave while it investigates the case.

So yea, don't let her come back - imo, the fuss in the meantime was self serving by some with not much else to do. Not a lack of training imo, just a refusal to follow it and make their own rules.

Link pls to first bolded paragraph. Thx in adv.

ETA: anyone find the school's vid showing events, preceding offcr at desk?

Link pls to first bolded paragraph. Thx in adv.

South Carolina sheriff's deputy on leave after dragging student from her desk
According to a classmate, the student in question had peeked at her cellphone during class. When the teacher tried to take the phone away, the student refused to hand it over, and when a school administrator told her to leave the class, she stayed at her desk, which is when Fields was summoned.
http://www.theguardian.com/us-news/...puty-on-leave-after-forceful-classroom-arrest

IMO, they showed the other students who are in class to learn that they are protected-some kids do take their education seriously. There are similar rules in every school which are there to help the learning environment. Not all children want to disrupt class or put up with it. My kids always voice frustration when other students make it nearly impossible to concentrate or follow along. Its a school they are there to learn and the adults are in charge. There are consequences in the real world, better learn it now or risk suffering more severe penalties as an adult.
JMO

Controlled? Like cattle or maybe prisoners?
Hand over her phone? Oh because Personal property becomes the teacher's when one goes to school? Or is this institutionalized theft?
Nationality? Is someone not American in this video? Not that the constitution doesn't apply to everyone on US soil....

RSBM

[video=youtube;Br6wGFqz-PI]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Br6wGFqz-PI[/video]

It looks like she was punching the side of his head...

Eta : Very annoying to have the races of the people listed on this YT vid. Imo, this was about a disobedient student -- not about nationality. In the video, it appears the teacher is African-Am. What, is he prejudiced, too ? I think not. He asked her to hand over her phone and she refused.
If she'd obeyed , there would've been no need to call in the assistant principal ,and the principal , AND the deputy.

If the school board decides no more law enforcement in schools -- what are they going to do if the students cannot be controlled ?
:moo:

IMO, they showed the other students who are in class to learn that they are protected-some kids do take their education seriously. There are similar rules in every school which are there to help the learning environment. Not all children want to disrupt class or put up with it. My kids always voice frustration when other students make it nearly impossible to concentrate or follow along. Its a school they are there to learn and the adults are in charge. There are consequences in the real world, better learn it now or risk suffering more severe penalties as an adult.
JMO

Underline by me - find it hard to swallow that other kids in the class were relieved at how 'officer slam' reacted - would have to read that from at least one of them that were present.

Underline by me - find it hard to swallow that other kids in the class were relieved at how 'officer slam' reacted - would have to read that from at least one of them that were present.

It was shear chance the leg of that overturned desk didn't hit that other student in the face.

FBI, Justice Dept to investigate video showing SC deputy tossing student to floor

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2015/10/2...l-officer-tossing-student-onto/?intcmp=hplnws

During the moments posted online, Fields can be seen standing over the girl, asking her to stand up. When she refuses, the officer wraps a forearm around her neck. The desk then flips and the girl is slammed backward onto the floor, where the officer tosses her toward the front of the classroom and handcuffs her.

A second student who verbally objected to the girl's treatment also was arrested.

Both girls were charged with disturbing schools and released to their parents.

Unfortunately I can see Officer Field/slam, and others like him, walking into any and all situations and saying 'you're under arrest'. Could be a ploy on his part to assume he is now protected from any backlash and do what he wants - how did he get the moniker 'slam'?

Controlled? Like cattle or maybe prisoners?
Hand over her phone? Oh because Personal property becomes the teacher's when one goes to school? Or is this institutionalized theft?
Nationality? Is someone not American in this video? Not that the constitution doesn't apply to everyone on US soil....

Controlled---like students in a classroom. Or like employees in a job site. Like the way civilized society works.

Yes, hand over her phone. Because it is in the school regulations. If you use your cell during class time the teacher may confiscate it until class is over. All the students know that. It is not theft.

How does nationality have anything to do with this?

I don't think they were relieved either, and I don't think they were filming him so they could share the video along with words of appreciation.

Why did the school call the officer? What did they expect him to do?

Unfortunately I can see Officer Field/slam, and others like him, walking into any and all situations and saying 'you're under arrest'. Could be a ploy on his part to assume he is now protected from any backlash and do what he wants - how did he get the moniker 'slam'?
That is typical. They also use "lawful order" and when you don't comply they claim you resisted.

Problem for officer slam is he needs to be able to explain the crime that brought him to the place he found himself.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rodrickheffley