SC - Columbia - Sheriff Slams Female Student to Floor In Class

Status
Not open for further replies.
That is typical. They also use "lawful order" and when you don't comply they claim you resisted.

Problem for officer slam is he needs to be able to explain the crime that brought him to the place he found himself.

No problem at all. He was called by the school to that exact location, in order to remove a disruptive student from that exact seat.

"During the moments posted online, Fields can be seen standing over the girl, asking her to stand up. When she refuses, the officer wraps a forearm around her neck. "

I guess she failed to respect his ah-thori tie.

RSBM

[video=youtube;Br6wGFqz-PI]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Br6wGFqz-PI[/video]

It looks like she was punching the side of his head...

Eta : Very annoying to have the races of the people listed on this YT vid. Imo, this was about a disobedient student -- not about nationality. In the video, it appears the teacher is African-Am. What, is he prejudiced, too ? I think not. He asked her to hand over her phone and she refused.
If she'd obeyed , there would've been no need to call in the assistant principal ,and the principal , AND the deputy.

If the school board decides no more law enforcement in schools -- what are they going to do if the students cannot be controlled ?
:moo:

O/T but nationality is not the same thing as race.

It was shear chance the leg of that overturned desk didn't hit that other student in the face.
And that she rotated and landed on the side. If she had been rotated even a few degrees more to her back, it looks like she would have snapped her neck.

"During the moments posted online, Fields can be seen standing over the girl, asking her to stand up. When she refuses, the officer wraps a forearm around her neck. "

I guess she failed to respect his ah-thori tie.

Sitting on my hands.

When she refused, the principal, assistant principals should have cleared the room and the officer or security or whomever he is, should have called for backup LE and go from there. Maybe by then she may have decided to comply. I can't see immediate threat to anyone in this video to have resulted in such a response.

This link is source of your post's excerpt and quote from other student, who shot vid. Thank you very much.

It also shows only :15 sec clip w LEO/SRO at desk & later, not teacher, vice-prin, & LEO/RSO before then.
Yesterday I saw a diff, longer clip, w more after removal from seat. Not particularly helpful for this question.

Still looking for vid preceding the incident. Wonder if school has own vid of classrooms.

Thx agn.

I am a good student. I go to class to learn, do all my homework, have a good GPA. I truly feel bad for the teachers that deal with obnoxious students. I am always respectful to them. But this was NOTOK.

This doesn't show students that their right to learn is being kept. It shows that violence is key to responding with disagreeable people. It teaches us that, if someone is being disruptive, you must respond with aggression.

I think simple handcuffs would have sufficed. Forcing her to the ground and essentially choking her was just too much.

So every time a student becomes defiant the classroom will be cleared? That will set up a bad precedent, imo.

This st student was disruptive and defiant and refused to follow refused to follow the requests of the teacher, vice principal and a Deputy.

She was placed under arrest. Why should she be given special treatment and have other students moved out of their math class?

So every time a student becomes defiant the classroom will be cleared? That will set up a bad precedent, imo.

This st student was disruptive and defiant and refused to follow refused to follow the requests of the teacher, vice principal and a Deputy.

She was placed under arrest. Why should she be given special treatment and have other students moved out of their math class?

So every time a student becomes defiant a police officer will be called in to assault and arrest the kid? That will set up a bad precedent, imo.

I am a good student. I go to class to learn, do all my homework, have a good GPA. I truly feel bad for the teachers that deal with obnoxious students. I am always respectful to them. But this was NOTOK.

This doesn't show students that their right to learn is being kept. It shows that violence is key to responding with disagreeable people. It teaches us that, if someone is being disruptive, you must respond with aggression.

I think simple handcuffs would have sufficed. Forcing her to the ground and essentially choking her was just too much.

He had to get her up out of the seat to cuff her. IMO, he did not plan for that seat to fall backwards. She was resisting and may have thrown it back herself, even accidentally.

He was trying to get her up out of the seat.

So every time a student becomes defiant a police officer will be called in to assault and arrest the kid? That will set up a bad precedent, imo.

The officer did not ASK to be called there. Why did they call him?

He had to get her up out of the seat to cuff her. IMO, he did not plan for that seat to fall backwards. She was resisting and may have thrown it back herself, even accidentally.

He was trying to get her up out of the seat.

Absolute nonsense. Watch the video -- he lifted her leg above the level of her head when she was seated.

Underline by me - find it hard to swallow that other kids in the class were relieved at how 'officer slam' reacted - would have to read that from at least one of them that were present.

I'm still upset and think about some of the outlandish things nuns did to us many, many years ago. Being hit with rulers, verbal abuse, and when I couldn't understand a math problem up front on the blackboard, I was thrown against it and made fun of. We had no cell phones, and we kept quiet because if you went home and said what the nun did, the parent would just figure you were in the wrong, and the nun was right. I know for a fact that I for one didn't feel protected from that behavior. I have no answers for what to do when a student acts up and doesn't listen, but violence IMO is not the answer. I watched the other kids in the room watching this, and what can you do besides sit and watch, I feel bad for them just having to watch that.

People have written, wondering why some youth don't respect LEOs. I think this video is a pretty good example of why people are justified in fearing rather than respecting many LEOs. I have not seen anyone defend the behavior of this student, but I find the officer's behavior to be worse than indefensible. He has just made the jobs of many decent LEOs harder.

Good grief! That girl did not deserve that. Watching that made me so angry. Officer Fields needs to be wished into the corn field. The teacher just stood there. I would have hoped he would have told the cop to back off of her when he saw how violent the cop was.

Good grief! That girl did not deserve that. Watching that made me so angry. Officer Fields needs to be wished into the corn field. The teacher just stood there. I would have hoped he would have told the cop to back off of her when he saw how violent the cop was.

The teacher may also be a target for a lawsuit. In many places, the are given the power and responsibility of loco parentis. In my view, the teacher failed.

People have written, wondering why some youth don't respect LEOs. I think this video is a pretty good example of why people are justified in fearing rather than respecting many LEOs. I have not seen anyone defend the behavior of this student, but I find the officer's behavior to be worse than indefensible. He has just made the jobs of many decent LEOs harder.

How can you respect someone who does that? Honestly. I can't.

Wow, good *someone* is willing to speak up for the poor bullied violent police officers. LMAO.

p.s. Regarding an "objective" or clinical reason why anyone might think this kind of physical force is useful when dealing with non-compliance:
I often work in classrooms too.
In "underserved", impoverished urban areas.

That's not how any sane society should deal with a situation like a student being on her cell phone/refusing to exit the classroom. If anyone thinks that violence, particularly violence when exercised by an "authority figure", doesn't breed more violence I'd suggest they look at the reams of scientific research on these kinds of topics.

I agree with this post. Violence is not the answer and should never be applauded.

If the student had been acting out physically I might be able to understand how physical contact on the part of authorities might be necessary but that was not the case here. Her act of defiance did not justify his act of violence. I believe that anyone in the officer's or a similar position at a school should be better versed in how to deal with defiance from a student.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member