Hurricane Patricia 2015

There is something about seeing Patricia in an actual photo instead of a computer animated graphic that make really feel and understand the force of this storm.

Interesting. It makes me feel the opposite, like there's no way I can understand and grasp this.

Saying prayers for everyone in the path of this monster. Just heard on the Weather Channel that it is weakening a little.

I went to Yelappa one year. 45 minutes by boat from Puerto Vallarta. No road except for donkey.

What do people do in a hurricane to be safe?

Patricia Pushes Inland After Becoming Strongest Landfalling Pacific Hurricane on Record (FORECAST)
Oct 24 2015 06:17 AM EDT

map_specnewsdct-84_ltst_4namus_enus_650x366.jpg

The eye of Hurricane Patricia made landfall Friday at 6:15 p.m. CDT near Cuixmala in Jalisco state of southwest Mexico. Maximum sustained winds at landfall were estimated at 165 mph, still firmly within the Category 5 range on the Saffir-Simpson Hurricane Wind Scale.

An automated weather observation site in Cuixmala reported a 185-mph wind with a gust of 211 mph at the time of landfall, but NOAA cautioned that these measurements have not been evaluated for quality or calibration.

The landfall point was about 60 miles (96 km) northwest of Manzanillo, where tropical storm-force winds likely occurred.

In addition to its unprecedented 200-mph (320-kph) sustained winds earlier Friday, Hurricane Patricia now holds the record for lowest pressure in any hurricane on record. With a minimum central pressure of 880 millibars (25.99 inches of mercury) at the 4 a.m. CDT advisory, Patricia broke the record of 882 millibars set by Wilma almost exactly 10 years ago. At the 1 p.m. CDT advisory the minimum central pressure was lowered to 879 millibars (25.96 inches of mercury).

Data from an Air Force Hurricane Hunter airborne reconnaissance mission late Thursday night provided critical data demonstrating the extreme intensification of Hurricane Patricia in near-real time. A new NOAA reconnaissance aircraft reached the eye of Patricia early Friday afternoon to gather additional direct measurements of the storm's intensity.

Unprecedented Among Pacific Hurricanes
Hurricane Patricia became the strongest Pacific hurricane on record shortly after midnight CDT early Friday. Air Force Hurricane Hunters had flown through the eye of Patricia and reported a sea-level pressure of 894 millibars as measured by a dropsonde inside the eye itself. Wind measurements suggested that the pressure measurement was not in the exact center of the eye and was probably not the absolute lowest pressure, prompting NHC to estimate the minimum central pressure at 892 millibars in its special 12:30 a.m. CDT advisory

attachment.php

Attachments

• 2015-10-24-06-21-11.jpg
    2015-10-24-06-21-11.jpg
    110.1 KB · Views: 131
Twitter user icyclone was in/near the eye and they have not tweeted since then but most likely it is because communications are down (hopefully).

Mega-storm Patricia drenches Mexico; damage reportedly light

http://news.yahoo.com/mega-storm-pa...0aG5zBGNvbG8DYmYxBHBvcwMxBHZ0aWQDBHNlYwNzYw--

PUERTO VALLARTA, Mexico (AP) — Record-breaking Hurricane Patricia appeared to leave remarkably little damage as it moved rapidly inland over mountainous western Mexico early Saturday and weakened to tropical depression status, though authorities warned it could still cause deadly floods and mudslides

Sending prayers to your family blue sneakers. Please keep us updated how she is doing.

She checked in last night to say their power had been off for awhile and came back on. Where she is is protected by the mountains (I think this is true for most of PV) so they're safer from winds and flooding, but the area to the south (Colima) will get hit worse by both.

I worked this morning -- one of my co-workers is from Mexico (he's a seasonal, visa-ed worker here in the US) -- his wife and kids were in the path of the hurricane (although a bit inland--gosh, it must be hard to be stuck in the midwest when a hurricane is bearing down on your family!). He talked to them this morning -- lots of water, lots of wind, some neighbors took shelter with them when their roof blew off yesterday, but they're all relieved at the light damage they got. He showed me pictures that his wife texted him -- that was, indeed, a lot of water.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mona Lisa
Back