France - Explosions and shooting in Paris, 13 November 2015 #3

Status
Not open for further replies.
JMO, but I find it equally sad and amazing that so many states are declining refugees.

Mass graves of women 'too old to be Isil sex slaves' - this is what we're up against

It is estimated that almost 80 women are buried in this mass grave, aged between 40 and 80-years-old. The bodies are of Yazidi women, murdered by Islamic State butchers.

As the world prayed for Paris, more than three thousand miles east another atrocity was being uncovered.

Over the past year, Islamic State forces have kidnapped thousands of young Yazidi women to use as sex slaves. Now we know what happened to those not deemed ‘attractive enough’ for them.

The Yazidis are a religious sect whose faith incorporates parts of several ancient Middle Eastern religions. To Isil, they are 'devil worshippers' – the lowest of the low – who should be either killed or enslaved.

In August 2014 the militants overran Yazidi territory in Sinjar and began killing and kidnapping thousands of men, women and children. The United Nations has already acknowledged that what happened in those dark days may be considered genocide.

"It must be incredibly frustrating as an Islamic terrorist not to have your views and motives taken seriously by the societies you terrorize, even after you have explicitly and repeatedly stated them,"

-- Iraqi writer Faisal Saeed Al Mutar

A major cyber attack on the U.S. electric grid could cause over a $1 trillion in economic impact and roughly $71.1 billion in insurance claims, said a report released Wednesday.
The report looks at the financial impact of a scenario in which 15 states and Washington, D.C. suffer a blackout as a result of a cyber attack on the power grid. o darkness. While the scenario seems unlikely, it’s technically possible to realize, the re

“The evidence of major attacks during 2014 suggests that attackers were often able to exploit vulnerabilities faster than defenders could remedy them.p

ort said. What it would take is a malware that infects the computers that control power plants, and in this case, the malicious code takes control of 50 generators and causes them to overload or even catch fire. Also in this scenario, utilities are able to restore power in some areas within 24 hours but spend several weeks to do the same for other parts.

I'm sure some nutcase is eternally grateful for the idea, CARIIS!

If my power goes out...I'm coming to your house.

JMO, but I find it equally sad and amazing that so many states are declining refugees.

I find it sad and amazing how much support they're getting. And wonder why they waited until now to take a stand.

Map:
Where the 1,854 Syrian Refugees Admitted to the U.S. Since 2012 Were Placed

The refugees who have arrived from Syria since 2012 have been placed in 130 towns and cities. They are among the most vulnerable people in the war: single mothers and their children; religious minorities; victims of violence or torture.

Some of them have reached large cities like Houston, but most have been sent to more affordable, medium-size cities by the nine voluntary agencies that handle refugee resettlement. Boise, Idaho, has accepted more refugees than New York and Los Angeles combined; Worcester, Mass., has taken in more than Boston.

Article
Paris Attacks Intensify Debate Over How Many Syrian Refugees to Allow Into the U.S.
http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2015/10/21/us/where-syrian-refugees-are-in-the-united-states.html

from rasmussen:
A recent Rasmussen survey asked: “How many refugees from Syria and other Middle Eastern countries should the government allow to come here?” The choices were zero, 10k, 25k, 50k, 65k, 100k, 100+ or unsure. The winner? Zero, at 49%. 20% said 10,000. How many support Obama’s determination to admit 100,000 Syrian refugees? Just about none. Only 7% support admitting 100,000 not just from Syria, but from all Middle Eastern countries.

Isis trying to bait USA etc into sending boots on the ground to Syria for some apocalyptic battle, as outlined in their magazine Dabiq:

The article, read by news.com.au, outlines IS plans to expand the borders of its so-called caliphate while continuing its campaign to try to provoke the UK and allied forces into sending boots on the ground, triggering the “final battle between Muslims and the crusaders”.

“An all-out ground attack (will set) the scene for the final battle between Muslims and the crusaders prophesized (sic) to be held at Dābiq in Syria, by conducting an operation overseas that is so destructive that America and its allies will have no alternative but to send in an army,” Mr Cantlie writes.

“This would have to be something on the same scale, if not bigger, than 9/11. Then again, I’m just guessing. American ‘hawks’ may very well come to Dābiq on their own without the Islamic State needing to blow up any dirty bombs in Manhattan.”

http://www.news.com.au/world/middle...r/news-story/42f658dcf4926d98715fd000eb334b90

The magazine:
https://azelin.files.wordpress.com/2015/11/the-islamic-state-e2809cdc481biq-magazine-12e280b3.pdf

http://www.wsj.com/articles/mistrusting-obama-on-isisand-refugees-1447803738

Mistrusting Obama on ISIS—and Refugees
The president’s refusal to admit a policy error in Syria stirs uneasiness about how he is handling the humanitarian crisis.

Ugh. Yet Americans are just expected by so many to just accept this and not question or have reasonable concerns over Syrian refugees coming over here. And if we do we are labeled as being afraid, or cold hearted, either by our president or by others, many of whom aren't even American. I'm sick of the political correctness. Many of us who feel this way have personal reasons for why we do and should not be judged or made to feel like bad people.

I find it sad and amazing how much support they're getting. And wonder why they waited until now to take a stand.

Map:
Where the 1,854 Syrian Refugees Admitted to the U.S. Since 2012 Were Placed

Article
Paris Attacks Intensify Debate Over How Many Syrian Refugees to Allow Into the U.S.
http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2015/10/21/us/where-syrian-refugees-are-in-the-united-states.html

You know what I find sad? all those who lost their loved ones on 9/11. Most Americans will never forget that day and expect our government to do everything in its power intelligence wise to try to prevent that from happening again. I am not suprised at all that the majority of Americans want at least a delay in the refugees coming. I also find it sad that many of us are being judged for taking this stance, like we are lacking in morals compared to other countries or to Americans who have no issues with taking in refugees. Those of us with concerns are worried about Isis infiltrating the refugees coming here. <modsnip>

You know what I find sad? all those who lost their loved ones on 9/11. Most Americans will never forget that day and expect our government to do everything in its power intelligence wise to try to prevent that from happening again. I am not suprised at all that the majority of Americans want at least a delay in the refugees coming. I also find it sad that many of us are being judged for taking this stance, like we are lacking in morals compared to other countries or to Americans who have no issues with taking in refugees. Those of us with concerns are worried about Isis infiltrating the refugees coming here. <modsnip>

I call it being realistic. jmo

Senior Obama officials have warned of challenges in screening refugees from Syria

FBI Director James Comey added in congressional testimony last month that "a number of people who were of serious concern" slipped through the screening of Iraq War refugees, including two arrested on terrorism-related charges. "There's no doubt that was the product of a less than excellent vetting," he said.

Though Comey said the process has since "improved dramatically," Syrian refugees will be even harder to check because unlike in Iraq, U.S. soldiers have not been on the ground collecting information on the local population. "If we don't know much about somebody, there won't be anything in our data," he said. "I can't sit here and offer anybody an absolute assurance that there's no risk associated with this."

But one of the senior administration officials at Tuesday's briefing acknowledged the limitations inherent in screening refugees from Syria, where it's very difficult to determine something as basic as an applicant's criminal history.

"We do the best with what we have," the official said. "We talk to people about what their criminal histories are, and we hear about that. That's pretty much where we are."

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/nationworld/ct-syria-refugees-screening-20151117-story.html

http://mobile.abc.net.au/news/2015-...on-was-killed-in-the-bataclan-theatre/6953666

'Paris attacks: 'Barbarism will not win in France', father of Bataclan victim Hugo Sarrade says'
By Europe correspondent Barbara Miller
Updated Thu Nov 19 12:18:50 AEST 2015
Posted Thu Nov 19 10:53:08 AEST 2015

'He wants to dedicate himself in Hugo's memory to somehow spreading a message to the next generation, the one so heavily targeted in the attacks on the nightspots of Paris; bars, restaurants and the Bataclan, all popular with 20 and 30-somethings.

Stephane Sarrade says by talking about Hugo, he feels he is still with him.

Audio: http://mobile.abc.net.au/news/2015-11-19/he-was-exceptional-because-he-was-my-son:-stephane/6953422

Stephane, a scientist, says for the "rest of my life, that will be my work".

"They wanted to kill this generation, they wanted to kill hope, and that's barbarism, and I don't want that to continue, and I would like to give hope to the next generation," he says.

I send Stephane an email just before writing this piece to thank him for talking to us.

The response comes quickly.

"It was a fantastic, human-to-human experience," he says.

"Please inform the world that barbarism will not win in France and we are still standing, facing fear and sorrow.

"All the best", he signs off, "and keep loving your children".'

http://mobile.abc.net.au/news/2015-...ctim-dedicates-himself-to-sons-memory/6953620

Video: http://mobile.abc.net.au/news/2015-11-19/paris-victim's-father-speaks-of-losing-his-son/6955258

'Paris victim's father speaks of losing his son'
Europe correspondent Barbara Miller
ABC News
Posted about 4 hours ago

'The father of 23-year-old Hugo Sarrade who died in the Bataclan concert shooting has spoken of his wish to inspire hope from his son's death.'

Both inspirational and heartbreaking at the same time. I tip my hat to you Monsieur Sarrade.

https://www.wzb.eu/en/press-release/islamic-fundamentalism-is-widely-spread
https://www.wzb.eu/sites/default/files/u6/koopmans_englisch_ed.pdf

Islamic fundamentalism is widely spread
WZB study shows significantly high numbers amongst Europe’s Muslims

Religious fundamentalism is not a marginal phenomenon in Western Europe. This conclusion is drawn in a study published by Ruud Koopmans from the WZB Berlin Social Science Center. The author analyzed data from a representative survey among immigrants and natives in six European countries. Two thirds of the Muslims interviewed say that religious rules are more important to them than the laws of the country in which they live. Three quarters of the respondents hold the opinion that there is only one legitimate interpretation of the Koran.

religious fundamentalism.jpg

Both the extent of Islamic religious fundamentalism and its correlates – homophobia, anti-semitism and “Occidentophobia” – should be serious causes of concern for policy makers as well as Muslim community leaders. Of course, religious fundamentalism should not be equated with the willingness to support, or even to engage in religiously motivated violence. But given its strong relationship to out-group hostility, religious fundamentalism is very likely to provide a nourishing environment for radicalization.

BBM

Report from 2013 but IMHO not much has changed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BBrown