The Alarm/Security System

I don't think she had a problem setting it on the afternoon of the 28th--I think that's the one where MS told her not to bother.

I thought I had read previously that she attempted to set the alarm that afternoon, but could not get it to set properly. That is why she called MS, who then told her not to worry about setting the alarm because TS was due back that night? That is why I was wondering why there was no record of that issue on the system, like the prior issue reported on the first 0014 alarm record. What made that event recorded on the first 0014 record different?

I thought I had read previously that she attempted to set the alarm that afternoon, but could not get it to set properly. That is why she called MS, who then told her not to worry about setting the alarm because TS was due back that night? That is why I was wondering why there was no record of that issue on the system, like the prior issue reported on the first 0014 alarm record. What made that event recorded on the first 0014 record different?

This is what I recall as well but do not know where in the docs it is.

This is what I recall as well but do not know where in the docs it is.
Keeping up with this topic is definitely a PITA. That's why my hat goes off to Scout for having the knowledge and patience for this stuff.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

FROM the DSC code book:
SECTION REPORTING CODE CODE SENT WHEN
348 Special Opening Opening (disarming) using one of the following
methods: keyswitch, maintenance code, DLS
software, wireless key

343 Special Closing Closing (arming) using one of the following
methods: Quick Arm, Auto-arm, keyswitch,
wireless key, function key, maintenance code, DLS

As slow as I am at this, I have figured out the "wireless key" is synonymous with "armed with a cellular phone?" The DLS software is using the "ethernet" and plugging into a router, is another option.
Since this system offers so many different options, I THINK SOMEONE SLIPPED UP AND REVEALED THEIR IDENTITY.
The system can be operated from an app on an IPhone, and even an ANDROID! (Armed with curiousity, GOOGLE & Youtube. I am posting a man arming the alarm, while keeping the motion detectors off, using his cell phone. NOTE: CAN ONLY BE DONE FROM A DESIGNATED PHONE!!!)
Even more curious, only ONE PERSON sent a question to the youtube poster. It was 7 MONTHS AGO and the questioner was S O, "How do you get the panel to communicate with your phone. If you want to monitor your alarm system."
(questioner S O??? sheriff office??? or smooth operator??? and the site ad comes up from Tampa, Fl area...so odd, because I didn't access info from anywhere in Florida....those dhaaang coincidences, huh?)
[video=youtube;M4q-1FVtkaQ]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M4q-1FVtkaQ[/video]

Thank you, Nin! What is so weird is that going through the interviews, I don't see where BS said she tried to set it, but couldn't and then called Mark. But in the 33 page investigative report, it does. I can't figure out how to post it. I wonder if there was another BS interview that they haven't released yet? This is a copy/paste from the Notable Alarm Findings portion of the Investigative Report released by LE in December.

...B. Sievers again returned to the Sievers’ residence later on June 28th and deactivated the
alarm at 4:13 p.m., but never reactivated it upon exiting the residence, telling detectives
that she could not get the alarm to set properly. B. Sievers stated when the alarm would
not set, she called her son, Mark Sievers in New York to advise him of the issue. B.
Sievers told detectives that Mark Sievers told her to leave the alarm deactivated as his
wife, Teresa Sievers, would be arriving home later on in the evening.

Thank you, Nin! What is so weird is that going through the interviews, I don't see where BS said she tried to set it, but couldn't and then called Mark. But in the 33 page investigative report, it does. I can't figure out how to post it. I wonder if there was another BS interview that they haven't released yet? This is a copy/paste from the Notable Alarm Findings portion of the Investigative Report released by LE in December.

...B. Sievers again returned to the Sievers’ residence later on June 28th and deactivated the
alarm at 4:13 p.m., but never reactivated it upon exiting the residence, telling detectives
that she could not get the alarm to set properly. B. Sievers stated when the alarm would
not set, she called her son, Mark Sievers in New York to advise him of the issue. B.
Sievers told detectives that Mark Sievers told her to leave the alarm deactivated as his

See Bates 5360, for the part in BS's interview where she speaks to calling MS and having trouble with the alarm.

See Bates 5360, for the part in BS's interview where she speaks to calling MS and having trouble with the alarm.

Thank you very much! That was driving me crazy . I must have skipped right over that. It's all starting to blend together tonight. AND I didn't win Powerball. I think I need to go to bed, lol

Without going back to look, my recollection of her interview was that she THOUGHT she was having trouble, because the alarm was off when she'd arrived that morning thinking it should be on (thanks to CWW/JR most likely), so he told her just don't bother setting it in the afternoon. But IMO she was not REALLY having trouble with it that day.

ETA: I just saw that NIN posted a direct link so I decided not to be lazy and checked. On Bates page 5363, near the bottom, is where BS explains that she THOUGHT she had done something wrong Saturday when she left, because on Sunday morning the alarm was not set (because, unbeknownst to her, someone had disarmed it at 6:09 am). But she did successfully set it when she left Sunday morning. But by the afternoon, she had heard from Mark, and he said don't bother setting it again since you're such a screwup. I may have reworded that lol.

IMO BS thought she was having trouble with the alarm at 8AM on June 28th, so she called MS and said 'stay didn't work' - the alarm was not on when she arrived. BS tells LE specifically that MS called her back at some point later that day and told her not to set the alarm.

IOW BS called MS, MS called BS back later that day and told her not to bother setting it when she went back that afternoon.:moo:

There's also the issue that MS was very insistent the alarm be set in 'Stay' mode because otherwise the dogs might set off the alarm and there could be a big fee for a false alarm.

It's a bit confusing, but it appears that Saturday morning she tried to set it using the Stay button, but that didn't work so she used her access code. As we can see from the alarm download, this set the alarm in 'Away' mode (though she didn't know that). She did the same thing on Sunday morning because she thought the Stay button hadn't worked overnight.

So to be precise, she called MS to tell him the Stay button didn't seem to be working, and asking should she just use her code. From her testimony, it was his concern that the alarm would be triggered by the animals that persuaded her not to try to set the alarm at all.

Reading the testimony, I find it hard to imagine how the sequence of events she describes could actually have been choreographed in advance by MS.

There's also the issue that MS was very insistent the alarm be set in 'Stay' mode because otherwise the dogs might set off the alarm and there could be a big fee for a false alarm.

It's a bit confusing, but it appears that Saturday morning she tried to set it using the Stay button, but that didn't work so she used her access code. As we can see from the alarm download, this set the alarm in 'Away' mode (though she didn't know that). She did the same thing on Sunday morning because she thought the Stay button hadn't worked overnight.

So to be precise, she called MS to tell him the Stay button didn't seem to be working, and asking should she just use her code. From her testimony, it was his concern that the alarm would be triggered by the animals that persuaded her not to try to set the alarm at all.

Reading the testimony, I find it hard to imagine how the sequence of events she describes could actually have been choreographed in advance by MS.

After going through all of the keypad display screens and comparing to BS's statements, I agree. It doesn't seem choreographed. The only reason she called MS, thinking that the alarm wasn't setting properly, is that when she arrived Sunday morning the alarm was not on. There is no way it could have been predicted how she would react to that. She could have just as easily used her code to set it again that afternoon since she thought that was working whereas just pressing Stay was not working (or so she thought). After all, TS was going to be home that evening and BS would be relieved of her pet-sitting duties. MS could not have anticipated that she would call and give him the opportunity to say "Just leave the alarm off, Mom."

After going through all of the keypad display screens and comparing to BS's statements, I agree. It doesn't seem choreographed. The only reason she called MS, thinking that the alarm wasn't setting properly, is that when she arrived Sunday morning the alarm was not on. There is no way it could have been predicted how she would react to that. She could have just as easily used her code to set it again that afternoon since she thought that was working whereas just pressing Stay was not working (or so she thought). After all, TS was going to be home that evening and BS would be relieved of her pet-sitting duties. MS could not have anticipated that she would call and give him the opportunity to say "Just leave the alarm off, Mom."
You're amazing Scout! Changes our original theory. Excellent job 🏆

Thank you very much! That was driving me crazy . I must have skipped right over that. It's all starting to blend together tonight. AND I didn't win Powerball. I think I need to go to bed, lol

Actually, the subject comes up multiple times.
Bates 5360 - top of the page
Bates 5363 - bottom of the page
Bates 5380 - bottom of the page
Bates 5381 - top of the page

It's difficult to sort through these interviews. I'm fairly certain that she spoke to MS on Saturday about the alarm (that's the day BS mentions the family was at the lake). But I'm not sure if she also spoke to MS on Sunday. One issue is that BS mixes up her days, referring to Sunday as Monday for example. By Bates 5396, BS is thoroughly confused.

You're amazing Scout! Changes our original theory. Excellent job 🏆

At this point, the one thing that would change my view of this issue is IF we learned that MS had initiated that contact. For example, if it turned out that he had been monitoring the alarm status and said something like, "Hey Mom, what's going on with the alarm? It's showing that you've been arming it in Away mode. You can't do that. The dogs might set off the motion detectors."

There's no indication that anything like that happened though. BS states that she called him about it and he simply returned her call and told her to leave it off. So we're left with it being coincidence.

Another weird coincidence is that MS had 3 false alarm convictions in Pinellas County from years earlier. What are the odds?

One more thing: In her statement about talking to MS, it sounds kind of like she was saying that MS talked to the security company about Stay not working.

So when I got there, the alarm was off. So I told Mark the stay didn't work. He's calling the guy, "What do you mean, it doesn't work?" and all that. Bates #5402

I can't figure out what to make of that.

At this point, the one thing that would change my view of this issue is IF we learned that MS had initiated that contact. For example, if it turned out that he had been monitoring the alarm status and said something like, "Hey Mom, what's going on with the alarm? It's showing that you've been arming it in Away mode. You can't do that. The dogs might set off the motion detectors."

There's no indication that anything like that happened though. BS states that she called him about it and he simply returned her call and told her to leave it off. So we're left with it being coincidence.

Another weird coincidence is that MS had 3 false alarm convictions in Pinellas County from years earlier. What are the odds?

One more thing: In her statement about talking to MS, it sounds kind of like she was saying that MS talked to the security company about Stay not working.

So when I got there, the alarm was off. So I told Mark the stay didn't work. He's calling the guy, "What do you mean, it doesn't work?" and all that. Bates #5402

I can't figure it out either. CWW can't possibly have planned to use the code to enter that night, could he? That would just too obviously show the whole break-in was faked. Was there another plan to tell BS not to set the alarm, and she just made it really easy? Or was she, however innocently, trying to shelter MS from any blame for having insisted the alarm be left unset?

I wonder if BS typically watched the dogs and cat when the Siever's left town?

I think it's possible that BS was chosen just to add another layer of confusion. If MS wanted to add confusion to a situation choosing someone not familiar with the alarm system and perhaps technology in general makes sense.

It's difficult to determine from the interviews if BS is simply in shock or if her self-doubt is typical. I think her guilt (something she should not feel) contributes to the confusion. On the other hand at times she's incredibly sharp, like when she asks the detective to confirm that the alarm reports are in EST. So it's possible that BS is normally comfortable with the alarm system and technology and wasn't chosen by MS to add confusion to the alarm situation.

What the heck is a false alarm conviction?

What the heck is a false alarm conviction?

When you set off your alarm by mistake (e.g., by setting it on "away" while large dogs are in the house moving around), and then are not available by phone when the alarm company calls to get your password, and then the police come by to see what's up, wasting taxpayer dollars, you can be fined in many cities.

That was a terrible run-on sentence, sorry. :)

I can't figure it out either. CWW can't possibly have planned to use the code to enter that night, could he? That would just too obviously show the whole break-in was faked. Was there another plan to tell BS not to set the alarm, and she just made it really easy? Or was she, however innocently, trying to shelter MS from any blame for having insisted the alarm be left unset?

Exactly. This is why I can't feel 100% certain that there wasn't some plan in place to ensure the alarm would be off Sunday evening. Maybe this is one of the great complexities of the case referred to by Sheriff Scott.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aztraea
Back