VA - Nicole Lovell, 13, Blacksburg, 27 January 2016 #1 *Arrests*

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't think she is voluntarily missing anymore. At 13 years she must understand that she could die if she doesn't take her medication. I think she is either held, or worse :(

I was texting about this with another member earlier. My fear is that she expected to be back home before her next dose of med was due.

It's s hard to keep kids away from the Internet as punishment. When I took my son's iPhone away, he was able to use an old device. I found it, and then he somehow acquired an older device from a friend. We had to get a newer router, that was passcode protected, to at least keep him off while at home. My parents just used to disconnect and hide the house phone when we were punished.

I'm pretty much the meanest mom ever. Not only have I had to change the wifi pw, I make sure there is not a single device they can access the internet with. Phone, tablet, ipod, desktop, lappy, xbox, etc. Thankfully, I haven't had to do it often. Sure they can still access via school, library or friends, but oddly enough they don't. They know I mean business, when push comes to shove.

This is dangerous and offensive all in one.

The hard truth is, ALL teenage girls have an unrealistic expectation (twisted, media-fueled) of what they're supposed to look like, how they're supposed to feel about themselves, and how they're to conduct themselves in online social settings. My girls still at home are 18, 17 and 12 and I have this talk with them ALL the time. We also have it with our 15 yr old son - so that he never falls prey to the BS of social messaging that girls have to be a "certain" way to be desirable.

It's a completely different world than it was even 5, 10 or 30 years ago. Parents have to stay on the ball, or it's the kids who will suffer for it.

I'm pretty much the meanest mom ever. Not only have I had to change the wifi pw, I make sure there is not a single device they can access the internet with. Phone, tablet, ipod, desktop, lappy, xbox, etc. Thankfully, I haven't had to do it often. Sure they can still access via school, library or friends, but oddly enough they don't. They know I mean business, when push comes to shove.

My children might just challenge you on who is the "meanest mom ever". We blocked internet on our children's cell phones (well, all of our phones) and installed a program on our router that prohibited them from doing certain things and would send us an email if certain things were attempted. It was not foolproof (there are ways around EVERYTHING), but that, along with constant communication, got all of us through those times; being a parent in this day and age is difficult and takes a lot of proactive parenting and even then, things can go sideways. Sooo...I am happy to hear of another parent taking the measures I have because it is RARE!

I was texting about this with another member earlier. My fear is that she expected to be back home before her next dose of med was due.

Yes that might have been her plan.

Why did she push the desk (or table? or what was it?) in front of the door? It's like a dramatic gesture, like she had to make an urgent escape with someone close on her heels, whereas she probably climbed out the window when everyone was asleep, so the piece of furniture was basically unnecessary and could have drawn attention due to noise.

What it implies to me is that she was really desperate to go out. Didn't care about her meds? No time to go get them?

The hard truth is, ALL teenage girls have an unrealistic expectation (twisted, media-fueled) of what they're supposed to look like, how they're supposed to feel about themselves, and how they're to conduct themselves in online social settings. My girls still at home are 18, 17 and 12 and I have this talk with them ALL the time. We also have it with our 15 yr old son - so that he never falls prey to the BS of social messaging that girls have to be a "certain" way to be desirable.

It's a completely different world than it was even 5, 10 or 30 years ago. Parents have to stay on the ball, or it's the kids who will suffer for it.

You're doing a wonderful thing for all of your kids. Raising girls is scary. I have 3 nieces that are 8, 9 & 11 and their FB pages terrify me (why they even have FB is a sore subject). All of them constantly post/share the "rate me" type statuses that invite the exact type of situation that Nichole was in with her post to that date & flirt group. It is disheartening to watch. Before FB did away with the age limit I used to report their pages every time they opened one since their parents weren't willing to supervise their online activities (yep, setting myself up to be flamed) but now all I can do is tell them over and over that they are far to beautiful & intelligent to need a bunch of random people to vote on their self worth.

I know I'm preaching to the choir here but it is so important that parents stay aware of what their children are doing online. When an adult makes their presence known the bullying behavior is minimized and predators are less likely to try and worm their way in.

I really hope that Nicole's parents will have the opportunity to reevaluate her online access but I'm deathly afraid that she made a decision that cost her everything when she snuck out.

Yes that might have been her plan.

Why did she push the desk (or table? or what was it?) in front of the door? It's like a dramatic gesture, like she had to make an urgent escape with someone close on her heels, whereas she probably climbed out the window when everyone was asleep, so the piece of furniture was basically unnecessary and could have drawn attention due to noise.

What it implies to me is that she was really desperate to go out. Didn't care about her meds? No time to go get them?

I wish we knew more about her habits. I have a niece that almost always barricades her bedroom door when she is fighting with her mom or her sister. Her mom thinks it is cute now but I suspect she won't be as amused in a few years when the same tactic is being used as a cover for sneaking people in or doing things she shouldn't be doing. If niece's mom got up and found her door blocked she would likely assume that she fell asleep angry and would open it when she woke up. Depending on when she left that could have bought Nicole a few more hours in the same situation.

I don't like the missing Minions blanket. If you're sneaking out to meet an older guy, or even another teenage boy, would you really grab the character blanket from your room? I'm not sure that's the accessory you want to take along on your quest to be all grown up.

I wish we knew more about her habits. I have a niece that almost always barricades her bedroom door when she is fighting with her mom or her sister. Her mom thinks it is cute now but I suspect she won't be as amused in a few years when the same tactic is being used as a cover for sneaking people in or doing things she shouldn't be doing. If niece's mom got up and found her door blocked she would likely assume that she fell asleep angry and would open it when she woke up. Depending on when she left that could have bought Nicole a few more hours in the same situation.

I don't like the missing Minions blanket. If you're sneaking out to meet an older guy, or even another teenage boy, would you really grab the character blanket from your room? I'm not sure that's the accessory you want to take along on your quest to be all grown up.

bbm - good observation. Does it mean she felt the need to take something comforting with her? And if so why? Was her plan to run away forever?

Oh dear, doesn't sound good this one. Hope she's found safe and well!

Or was it Nichole's 13 year old brain flipping between being a little kid with her fuzzy blanket, and being the suave teen sneaking out for a rendezvous? Between knowing she needs meds to prevent organ rejection, and a devil-may-care jaunt into independence/desirability? It must be so hard to be a teen now. One minute you snuggle your Minion blanket, the next you flirt naively online in the midst of lurking pervs.

I have had sepsis of the biliary tree and pain in the liver region is horrendous. I should also add that I thought I was coming down with the flu and became delirious at home. Luckily my daughter stopped me from 'going to the shop to buy Whiskey' (it was 3am, I had on 2 dressing gowns and I have never drank whiskey).

I didn't know I was behaving strangely. An ambulance came and I spent 2 weeks in ICU and 2 more in a regular ward. It is possible (though not the likeliest scenario) she is unwell.

Liver failure is a dreadful thing.

Or was it Nichole's 13 year old brain flipping between being a little kid with her fuzzy blanket, and being the suave teen sneaking out for a rendezvous? Between knowing she needs meds to prevent organ rejection, and a devil-may-care jaunt into independence/desirability? It must be so hard to be a teen now. One minute you snuggle your Minion blanket, the next you flirt naively online in the midst of lurking pervs.

That is possible and I hope it does explain the missing blanket. I'm starting to fear that the blanket was removed with Nicole in it. I wonder why her parents assume she ran away. If I woke up and found my 13yo child's door barricaded and nothing missing but them and a blanket from their room I don't think that would be my first thought. Was there a note? Does she have a history of running away?

I just asked the husband and he said there was nothing new on their local news this morning. I wish she would get more attention. Even if she did run away and is hiding somewhere this is a child that is in very imminent danger if she isn't found very soon.

Even though it was a thousand years ago, I remember being 13. One minute it's all about the eye shadow and how your jeans fit and the next you just want to color and play with the cat. 13 yr old girls have no idea who they are - little girl or young woman. It's a rough age, to be sure.

Some of you keep mentioning "parents", I have not seen anything from MSM quoting the parents.

From what I can tell, she lived with her grandfather and uncle. Did anyone else live in the home?

Reminds me of Erika Brown from WV even though Nichole is 3 years younger. I hope LE have seen that teen dating and flirting as well as what looks like bogus people replying on her public wall stuff. At 1st I thought maybe she had pills with her; really hope so. Could be she was tired of taking them.

Not sure if the Minion blanket is typical for her age. Its not very big; 3 1/2 ft by 5 1/2 ft typical throw; big enough for my grandsons crib

Okay, straight up - the first dude to comment on the post - his friends list is nothing but young girls. His groups he belongs to -- one of them is like "young girls who like dating older men." This dude probably isn't anywhere near where Nichole lives but I'd scope the heck out of him if I were the cops. He's shady af.

And furthermore, I wouldn't be surprised if that "cute or nah" post maybe stirred some feelings of like, worthlessness or suicide in her. I'm leaning toward suicide, but... idk.

Some of you keep mentioning "parents", I have not seen anything from MSM quoting the parents.

From what I can tell, she lived with her grandfather and uncle. Did anyone else live in the home?

Her mom, aunt, uncle & grandparents all lived there.
http://m.roanoke.com/news/local/bla...051-1606-539e-aecf-c4bf646f1893.html?mode=jqm

*Read the comments on the news station FB attached to that article

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=10154044589851178&id=5880986177

ETA Link

NICHOLE LOVELL, Age Now: 13, Missing: 01/27/2016. Missing From BLACKSBURG, VA. ANYONE HAVING INFORMATION SHOULD CONTACT: Blacksburg Police Department (Virginia) 1-540-961-1150.

More...

This is dangerous and offensive all in one.

Bald truth is often offensive, and I'm sorry it came off as unsympathetic. I'm no 10 myself, and growing up I watched the behavior of girls who our culture considers beautiful (it's different in every culture), and they were much more able to resist flattering male attention, as a rule. For her to put that post about am I cute and then get naah, that's hurtful. I don't know why girls do that, because that old Am I Hot Or Not was about the most painful thing I ever saw. Guys, as long as they looked fun and healthy, always got a "hot", and women had to be smoking gorgeous to get a "hot". Can't imagine putting myself up for that scrutiny from strangers.

Anyway, if it's true what they're saying about medication being dire at this point, this is looking more and more grim.

The value of a girl isn't dependent - imho - on how pretty she is. But when you have read thousands of missing kids cases, you can begin to categorize them into what is most likely to happen, and who is most vulnerable in certain situations, etc.

And yes, that truth is offensive. Don't think it's dangerous though - just the opposite. Knowledge is power.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fesmike