Found Deceased OH - Joey LaBute, 26, Columbus, 4 March 2016 #2

Most of the other cases do indeed show the bodies were killed before thy were dropped in water. This usually conflicts with the cover story of accidental drowning or suicide. The way the police have handled this is quite shocking. This hardly ever happens.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

what time was the jibberish message at anyone know off hand

Dang, you're really into this theory aren't you? What makes you so sure?

I've spent too much time researching 200 other similar cases around the country.
c1ddf0219eb1f71af5eb392e88c7f79b.jpg

Welcome to new members OccamsRazor, fourcatsonepup, and ksleuth. Lots of new members here for JL.

:welcome6:

Wow, this seems like official confirmation of foul play to me.

Accidental overdose or something like that seems unlikely. Joey did not seem like that kind of guy.

He could have been drugged though.

I don't see why just because he died before being placed in the water means a person purposely killed him. I do agree though that it would mean that the person committed some sort of other crime by moving the body once he passed.

I just don't think it means he was purposely killed yet based on what little we know. I could see this being an accidental overdose of either alcohol or other substances with alcohol.

If the tox reports come back with drugs in his system it may be hard for LE to determine if he voluntarily took anything or was drugged without his knowledge. I don't know how LE would be able to tell one way or another unless there are witnesses.

LE needs to find the person he was last with to get answers.

I do not think his plans were to intentionally leave with someone. I believe, if that was the case, he would have TOLD his cousin that he was leaving. I am pretty sure that most people would agree with me here- if you are out with a friend and you decide to leave a crowded bar, you would TELL the person that you are with where you are going. I think it would be out of character for MOST people not to do so. Of course, intoxication is a factor- I do have one friend that leaves the bar without saying anything .
As I have speculated ALL along- I believe that Joey was conversing with SOMEONE that night, whether that be through social media or texts- I think that this person was in the area and let Joey know that he was at the bar or outside the bar. I think Joey left to meet this person, not thinking that he would not return back to his cousin within a few minutes. It wasn't intentional for him to leave without telling anyone. He didn't accidentally drown- he didn't drown at all. He was killed and disposed of in the Scioto.
I keep thinking that this person was in a car, parked in the alley right next to the Union- I believe this person told Joey to hop in the car and "help" him park (seeing as though it was densely populated with tourists that night- not to mention, you can't easily park in the Short North on any given weekend)- this person is probably not familiar with the Short North- this could explain the "I'm driving" text- he was driving, but he was in a car with someone.
I don't believe he left that bar on his own accord and started walking towards his car- whatever happened, happened either INSIDE that bar or right outside the bar.

Most of the other cases do indeed show the bodies were killed before thy were dropped in water. This usually conflicts with the cover story of accidental drowning or suicide. The way the police have handled this is quite shocking. This hardly ever happens.

I totally agree with you. It is highly unusual (if ever) that LE lists one of these cases as being "suspicious". It's usually either, they got drunk and stumbled into the river and drown or they commit suicide.

It is against Websleuths Terms of Service to discuss orientation unless it is known to be relevant to the case. Unless someone can provide an official link right now that sexual orientation is somehow germane to this case, further discussion may result in temporary loss of posting privileges or worse.

I wonder if LE ever found Joeys cell phone?

I do not think his plans were to intentionally leave with someone. I believe, if that was the case, he would have TOLD his cousin that he was leaving. I am pretty sure that most people would agree with me here- if you are out with a friend and you decide to leave a crowded bar, you would TELL the person that you are with where you are going. I think it would be out of character for MOST people not to do so. Of course, intoxication is a factor- I do have one friend that leaves the bar without saying anything .
As I have speculated ALL along- I believe that Joey was conversing with SOMEONE that night, whether that be through social media or texts- I think that this person was in the area and let Joey know that he was at the bar or outside the bar. I think Joey left to meet this person, not thinking that he would not return back to his cousin within a few minutes. It wasn't intentional for him to leave without telling anyone. He didn't accidentally drown- he didn't drown at all. He was killed and disposed of in the Scioto.
I keep thinking that this person was in a car, parked in the alley right next to the Union- I believe this person told Joey to hop in the car and "help" him park (seeing as though it was densely populated with tourists that night- not to mention, you can't easily park in the Short North on any given weekend)- this person is probably not familiar with the Short North- this could explain the "I'm driving" text- he was driving, but he was in a car with someone.
I don't believe he left that bar on his own accord and started walking towards his car- whatever happened, happened either INSIDE that bar or right outside the bar.

Good theories but since he actually communicated on his cell phone and indicated "Im driving" then don't you think he would have used that opportunity to say he is being kidnapped or something if he did not leave voluntarily?

Wow, this seems like official confirmation of foul play to me.

Accidental overdose or something like that seems unlikely. Joey did not seem like that kind of guy.

He could have been drugged though.

Yes typically the men are drugged to lower their natural instincts for fight or flight to allow them to be abducted. Then the rest happens before they are drowned. What happens in between is probably very troubling.

Good theories but since he actually communicated on his cell phone and indicated "Im driving" then don't you think he would have used that opportunity to say he is being kidnapped or something if he did not leave voluntarily?

Haha no the men are lured by someone they believe are not a danger. After that phone call is when it changes. The phone is turned off and he is then drugged and abducted.

Not necessarily-he probably felt threatened.
Whoever the person he was with IS responsible for his death. That person killed Joey. I am guessing that Joey did not feel safe and in fear for his life. He is stuck with someone in the car- he is probably terrified. I would like to say that I would most def scream into the phone that I needed help and was kidnapped. However, I have never been in a situation like that and I have never felt that fear.
I think that Joey was familiar with this person (Matt?) and that he felt somewhat comfortable with him- I don't think he would have been in this situation if he wasn't somewhat comfortable with this person.

I don't see why just because he died before being placed in the water means a person purposely killed him. I do agree though that it would mean that the person committed some sort of other crime by moving the body once he passed.

I just don't think it means he was purposely killed yet based on what little we know. I could see this being an accidental overdose of either alcohol or other substances with alcohol.

If the tox reports come back with drugs in his system it may be hard for LE to determine if he voluntarily took anything or was drugged without his knowledge. I don't know how LE would be able to tell one way or another unless there are witnesses.

Unless his toxicology report indicates that he is positive for something like Rohypnol ("ruffie")- He def wouldn't have willingly and knowingly ingested that!

The fact that he was gay and use gay dating apps is very relevant because that is exactly how the killer hooked up with him. I can't prove it but there is enough similar case that you can google if you take the time to learn.

Alcohol poisoning seems unlikely. He was drinking water when he disappeared. Likely to sober up before the drive home. To go from that to alcohol poisoning...doesn't fit with what we know either.

If he was intentionally drugged, then there's more to the story than just disposing a body.

The fact that he was gay and use gay dating apps is very relevant because that is exactly how the killer hooked up with him.I can't prove it but... there is enough similar case that you can google if you take the time to learn.

This is what I mean. We don't even know the cause/manner of death and already there's a killer... What are you going to do if toxicology comes back with a new twist? Modify your theory accordingly?

You're taking me wrong. I'm coming off wrong. I want to learn. I want to hear you and understand more.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mamabee1221
Back