RI RI - Newport, Narragansett Bay, UnkFem 25-35, UP12662, partial skeletal, Sep'94

Romulus

Reaction score
NamUs UP Case 12662

https://identifyus.org/en/cases/12662

no_photo.png

Unidentified Unsure female
* Found September 13, 1994 in Newport County, RI
* Estimated Year of Death: 1993 to 1994
Estimated postmortem interval:1 Year

Vital Statistics
* Estimated age: Adult - 25-35
* Approximate Height: Cannot Estimate
* Distinguishing Characteristics: Skeletal findings:
Presence of anomalous morphology in the sacrum could be helpful to identify individual if antemortem radiographs are available;fairly recent trauma to the anterior pelvis with some healing/remodeling might be in medical record; presence of fractures in sacrum and left innominate suggests a traumatic death.Some osteophytic lipping on the anterior articular surface of the sacrum.Trauma may have been caused around 6 months before death. Spina bifida occulta is present in the first sacral element.The inferior processes of the fifth sacral element are asymmetrical, with the right process being longer than the left.

* Dentals: Dental information / charting is not available

* Clothing/Jewelry: nothing

* DNA:
Sample submitted - Tests complete

Case History:
2731-94 was recovered in the Narragansett Bay, by the Newport Bridge, Newport, RI by the fishing vessel 'Norma Jean'. 2867-94 was recovered in Fall River, Massachusetts. There is very little possibility that these bones came from separate people therefore they are identified by forensic anthropologist as being from the same individual.

I was noticing that the skeletal findings on this Jane Doe indicated "recent trauma to the anterior pelvis".

Debra Cressotti was from the neighboring state of Massachusetts, and she also had a prior trauma to her pelvis from a horse riding accident.

There is a 9-year difference between her disappearance and the Jane Doe's discovery. However, this little detail should warrant a look, IMO.

https://www.findthemissing.org/en/cases/11224/0

I was also noticing that there is a second UP casefile UP12682, also involving bones found in two separate occasions in Narragansett Bay. The bones from this find were thought to be from the same individual:

https://identifyus.org/en/cases/12682

I am guessing that they have already determined that the bones from UP12682 aren't from the same individual as the bones from UP12662, though we can't presume that.

But whether or not the two UP cases are from the same individual, Katrina McVeigh would also be an obvious possible for one or the other (if not both).

http://www.charleyproject.org/cases/m/mcveigh_katrina.html

Katrina's clothing was found on the banks of the Blackstone River, which leads directly into Narragansett Bay. She also fits the description in terms of age, gender, race (for UP12682, but not necessarily for UP12662), and timeframe.

Spina bifida occulta is present in the first sacral element, Debra Cressotti profile not cite this important detail.

This Jane Doe has a DoeNetwork page now:

1500UFRI
No_Image_Available_female.jpg

Date of Discovery: September 13, 1994
Location of Discovery: Newport, Newport County, Rhode Island
Estimated Date of Death: 1993-1994
State of Remains: Partial skeletal
Cause of Death: Unknown

Physical Description
Estimated Age: 25-35 years old
Race: Unknown
Sex: Female
Height: Unknown
Weight: Unknown
Hair Color: Unknown
Eye Color: Unknown
Distinguishing Marks/Features: Unknown

Identifiers
Dentals: Unknown
Fingerprints: Unknown
DNA: Unknown

Clothing & Personal Items
Clothing: Unknown.
Jewelry: Unknown.
Additional Personal Items: Unknown.

Circumstances of Discovery
The woman's partial remains were discovered in the Narragansett Bay, near the Newport Bridge by a fishing boat. Additional remains were found in Fall River, Massachusetts and were concluded to be from the same individual.

Investigating Agency(s)
Agency Name: Rhode Island Office of Chief Medical Examiner
Agency Contact Person: Carol Capron-Roby or Molly Rathbun
Agency Phone Number: 401-222-5500
Agency E-Mail: N/A
Agency Case Number: 2731-94/2867-94

NCIC Case Number: Unknown
NamUs Case Number: 12662

Information Source(s)
NamUs

I've often wondered if these remains might belong to Elena Emery. Her skull was found in '94, identified, I believe, through dentals. To my knowledge, that's the only confirmed remains of hers that were ever found.

The Mysterious Disappearance of Adam Emery - Unsolved Mysteries
Elena L. DiRocco Emery (1961-1993) - Find A Grave...

Maybe...it's not known which exact remains were found in the #12662 case, so possible. In the article it says they found two leg bones, belonging to Elena and later her skull. At least a very intriguing story.

Months after the Emerys disappeared, a fisherman working in the bay found two human leg bones in his net. Clinging to one was a fragment of a sock that was identical to those purchased by Adam and Elena. Authorities compared the DNA sample from the bone with DNA samples of both Elena’s mother and sister. It was a match.

Then a few weeks later, Detective Hopkins responded to an urgent call from the harbor. Narragansett Bay had given up another grim piece of evidence. A skull recovered from the east passage of the bay was positively identified as that of Elena Emery. Elena had at last been found.

Maybe...it's not known which exact remains were found in the #12662 case, so possible. In the article it says they found two leg bones, belonging to Elena and later her skull. At least a very intriguing story.
rsbm

Be nice if I read my own link.:) Reading it now, I do sort of remember the sock. I definitely remember the skull. I actually worked with one of the victim's brothers long before this all happened, while I was still living in RI. I guess that's why I always think Elena and Adam whenever remains are found in or washed up from Narragansett Bay and the general area. And I always wonder - where is Adam?

@CCJD ;)
There are not a lot of women listed as missing from RI. The ones that are listed don't fit in the timeline IMO. In the early 90's a couple of women (mostly prostitutes) where killed, but recovered on land. Pondering on the way the remains traveled through the waters and what could be the place where the remains went in the water. I've learned not to presume, but I think that the remains found in Fall River were also in the water, near Fall River and they don't mean the city. Does somebody know that? Considering the current, what would be the most logical way, from the bay to Fall River or the other way around, because it's quit a big distance? Or were the remains dumped in different places? Dumped from a vessel?

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mona Lisa
Back