GUILTY FL - Cherish Perrywinkle, 8, Jacksonville, 21 June 2013 #3

Status
Not open for further replies.
I saw this case on Nancy Grace tonight and she had me fooled into thinking this just happened. Not that it makes it any less horrible but the way the NG show was being aired they made it seem like it just happened.

They should have put a big disclaimer on the program that it was a taped show. Unless I missed it.

Anywho, it was horrific to learn what this monster did. I hope he gets the DP. Based on his long record he is not fixable and will always be a danger to society's children. He needs to go away for good.

i just caught this case on NG last night and i have to say is WTH! i just dont get this mother. no offers of buying your kids clothes is worth your child's life and that is what happened. :shakehead: for one, if someone wants to help you with buying clothes, groceries, etc, fine but dont get into a van with them to go anywhere. 2, dont let a stranger take your child to try on clothes in one of those changing rooms and 3, sont let your kids out of your sight, especially when they take a keen interest in them :stormingmad:

Missed red flags led to tragedy .. Parents take note of the suspect's behavior

http://www.hlntv.com/shows/nancy-gr...h-perrywinkle-surveillance-video-and-911-call

Note : Donald Smith a registered sex offender who was released only 21 days prior to Periwinkles abduction and murder was arrested in 2013 only hours after , and charged with the child's murder , he is currently awaiting trial in Florida

Predator behavior :

-Suspect approached unsolicited

-Offered Unsolicited help

-Offered aid far beyond what was necessary at the time of need (What is sometimes called "loan sharking"), not only helps her out with her purchases at the Dollar General, but offers to pay for kids clothes with a 100.00 gift certificate at Wal Mart.

-Mother accepts ride from stranger (could have killed the entire family if he wished)

-Suspect states he's going to meet his "wife" at another location Wal Mart (re-affirmation) who never materializes and yet never questioned, and though the suspect is supposedly going to meet his wife , he never once leaves the family once he arrives at wal mart to find his "wife"

-Suspect gained favor enough through his apparent gestures for victim's mother to drop her guard and allow her daughter to go with an unknown adult (She didnt want to seem rude)

-Day prior to the abduction, Smith asks his roommate to help him remove seats from the rear of his van (premeditation), as a matter of fact his own roommate turns him in once he sees the video

-Suspect knowingly lures child from store after being caught on security cameras at 2 different locations (No issue with being seen)

-Victim's family has been in his presence and in his vehicle, can identify both (Demonstrates little concern)

Florida officials released surveillance video and the 911 call in the abduction and murder of 8-year-old Cherish Perrywinkle, who police say was strangled and sexually assaulted in 2013.

Donald J. Smith's Criminal History : Failure of the system

-1977 arrested for Lewd and lascivious assault in the presence of a child and is classified as a "A mentally disordered sex offender"

-Arrested 1981 for violating his probation on that charge (Unspecified) served 14 months

-1992 convicted on "multiple counts of attempted kidnapping and providing obscene materials to minors" serves 5 and a half years after trying to lure two teenage girls into his van. (note the choice of vehicle in separate offenses)

-Serves time in sex offender program, and is flagged by psychiatrists as high risk, dangerous and a "danger to re-offend" but is labelled by the state as a "sex offender ", Not a "Sexual predator" therefore a jury fails to hear the psychiatrist's recommendation, it is enough however for him to be sent to a civil commitment program before his release in 1999, in Tampa where he is eventually released in 2002 (Note only 1% of all sex offenders fall into this category)

-2003 sentenced to 2.5 years for trafficking stolen property and providing false ID to a pawnbroker, is officially labelled a "Sex offender" , but not a "sexual predator"

-Is placed on the Fla. Sex offender registry upon its induction in 2007 but listed simply as a "sex offender", not a "sexual predator"

-2009 is arrested for trying to pass himself off as a Florida department of Children and Families employee in an attempt to make obscene phone calls to a child, gets into a physical altercation with police upon his arrest when he refuses to exit his vehicle. Smith pleads guilty to misdemeanor charges and therefore is never re-evaluated

-Immediately after the AMBER alert is issued for Periwinkle, Smith's photo is circulated as a possible suspect .

-Because he was never "officially" labelled as a violent sex offender is able to legally reside within walking distance to a middle school

-Van is the vehicle of choice even after being convicted once of trying to lure 2 girls into one .

-Still lived with his mother (common amongst violent predators)

Thank you for this thought-provoking post.
Failure of the courts and the parent IMHO to stop this unlabeled predator.
This re-enforces my feeling that child sex offenders cannot and will not stop their behavior.

The system will always have failures, sometimes catastrophic like this one , all systems fail at times

The key is being able to identify pre-incident behavior before something occurs, because system or not , they are out there ..

Had mom known what she was looking at she her child would most certainly be alive, though I honestly believe another child most likely would have died as a result .

I cant help but surmise that at some point she was questioning his motives, but felt indebted to him for his generosity, hence why she allowed her daughter to leave the store with a man they only met an hour earlier . She never questioned why a total stranger would not only help her out at a dollar store, but also offer to give buy her kids clothes with a fake gift certificate, why not just give it to her ? never asks where this "wife" was or why he never left to go look for her.

AS for a "cure" Literature and science says "they can" , but you can almost always bet the house on any case that involves an abduction and murder of a child, they've done it , or something pretty similar before .

In MOST cases, where a child is abducted and murdered, the offender already has an established sexual criminal history, usually involving children.... Now thats "Most"not "all" mind you, some "appear to come out of nowhere", but that doesn't take into account crimes they weren't charged with or where the charges were dropped for whatever reason. Or the ignorance often telltale behavioral patterns these individuals exhibit pre-offense .

For ex:
" When his father, Lionel, once cleaned the remains of dead rodents out from under the house, four-year-old Jeff couldn’t help but play with them, happily running his hands through the bones. He seemed enthralled with the clattering noise they made. His father, interpreting this at the time as a sign of normal childhood curiosity, was only creeped-out in retrospect."......Lionel Dahmer on his son Jeffrey

SO can they be cured?

Let the psychiatrist who says they can have them babysit their kids for a few months before I give it a thought, but I call BS on it .

Listening to RP's 911 call convinces me that she knew Smith before they "met" at Dollar General. First of all, she says "Hi" at the beginning of her call. Anyone familiar with Statement Analysis knows this is a red flag when calling 911. Frantic callers get right to the point, they don't exchange pleasantries with the 911 operator.

Secondly, allll the alibi-building. Even the operator cut her off when she went on her tangent about how she NEVER gets in a car with strangers. Yeah, we believe you, you CLEARLY don't get into a car with strangers, especially a car that has no seats for your kids to sit in. Do you throw your kids on the floor of a dirty van though?

I try so hard not to read anything about this case anymore because RP makes my blood boil with her lies.

The most important thing I was looking forward to hearing was redacted and I don't know why. Cherish's first and middle name were spelled wrong on the police report that Rayne signed. For the first day or two when Cherish was still missing she was being referred to as "Charish" and I have been dying to hear if Rayne purposely gave the wrong spelling of her name to the dispatcher.

ok, i got done watching NG from my dvr and there was something about another inmate that said there was another one DS killed? i looked where he was or wasnt locked up in 2009, but before the attempted kidnapping of that girl from jacksonville in september of 2009, could DS have been around Satsuma in February 2009 with the disappearence of haleigh cummings? i know its a long shot or might have been talked about before, but i got a shiver at this thought. :noooo:

Some other things that bother me about this call are (1) she seems more annoyed than frantic and (2) she jumps right to "raping my daughter." How is she so sure that DS is a rapist? I'm also disturbed by her use of the word "rape" when she's talking about an 8-year-old. Even if she had the fear that her daughter had been abducted for that reason, wouldn't most mothers say "sexually assaulted" or "molested"? The fact that she was positive that this kind, elderly, married man was "raping" her daughter at this very minute gives me the feeling she was so positive because she already knew who DS was and what DS was all about. One of the first things she told the responding police officers is that she had a psychic premonition that DS was raping her daughter. That comment instantly made me feel like she was already building her alibi. Perhaps that was going to be her excuse if she failed a polygraph??? Hmmmm.

I think the reason it disturbs me is that in the first few weeks of this case a few of us on here had a suspicion that RP may have been up to something very dark involving her daughter. VERY dark. The fact that they were in Wal-Mart at that hour would have made it impossible for Cherish to make her flight to California to be with Cherish's father for the summer. Coincidentally, the man that RP despised. Secondly, we explored some BackPage ads that we didn't like the sound of and forwarded them on. So I guess the use of the word "rape" makes me feel like she's talking about her 8-year-old like she's an adult, and my fear has always been (and continues to be) that Cherish may have been being exposed to some very adult things. (I'm trying to be delicate.)

I've only just read about this today. I'm horrified that this mother would let a stranger take her daughter to the fitting rooms. I am in full agreement with the other posters who think there is a lot more to this story than we first see. I hope if the mother is involved she is found out and convicted too. Its just too awful.

I've only just read about this today. I'm horrified that this mother would let a stranger take her daughter to the fitting rooms. I am in full agreement with the other posters who think there is a lot more to this story than we first see. I hope if the mother is inSEX OFF W/CHILD BY ADULT volved she is found out and convicted too. Its just too awful.

There was another case, in 2009 in NC, where the mother of the most beautiful child I've ever seen "lent" that same daughter to a man to whom she owed a drug debt, fully knowing what he would do to her (with the exception of killing her, I assume). That mother is in prison with a combined sentence of 17y/6m to 21y/9m for all of the crimes listed below, taken from her prison record:

SEX OFF W/CHILD BY ADULT .......... RAPE CHILD BY ADULT(CONSPIRACY) ......... KIDNAPPING 1ST DEG OF A MINOR
HUMAN TRAFFICK MINOR................ CHILD ABUSE - PROSTITUTION .................. MURDER SECOND DEGREE
SEXUAL SERVITUDE MINOR............. INDECENT LIBERTY W/CHILD ..................... CHILD ABUSE SEXUAL ACT

The ~man~ to whom she gave this child is now on Death Row for a long list of charges, including rape and 1st degree murder. This, of course, was the Shaniya Davis case which many of us will angrily and tearfully recall:

http://www.websleuths.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?549-Shaniya-Davis

-------------------------------------------
If they can prove she knew what would happen to her daughter, they can & prolly will charge her, too.

There was another case, in 2009 in NC, where the mother of the most beautiful child I've ever seen "lent" that same daughter to a man to whom she owed a drug debt, fully knowing what he would do to her (with the exception of killing her, I assume). That mother is in prison with a combined sentence of 17y/6m to 21y/9m for all of the crimes listed below, taken from her prison record:

SEX OFF W/CHILD BY ADULT .......... RAPE CHILD BY ADULT(CONSPIRACY) ......... KIDNAPPING 1ST DEG OF A MINOR
HUMAN TRAFFICK MINOR................ CHILD ABUSE - PROSTITUTION .................. MURDER SECOND DEGREE
SEXUAL SERVITUDE MINOR............. INDECENT LIBERTY W/CHILD ..................... CHILD ABUSE SEXUAL ACT

The ~man~ to whom she gave this child is now on Death Row for a long list of charges, including rape and 1st degree murder. This, of course, was the Shaniya Davis case which many of us will angrily and tearfully recall:

If they can prove she knew what would happen to her daughter, they can & prolly will charge her, too.

She was beautiful.
I was haunted by that man carrying her into that elevator in the motel

The system will always have failures, sometimes catastrophic like this one , all systems fail at times

The key is being able to identify pre-incident behavior before something occurs, because system or not , they are out there ..

Had mom known what she was looking at she her child would most certainly be alive, though I honestly believe another child most likely would have died as a result .

I cant help but surmise that at some point she was questioning his motives, but felt indebted to him for his generosity, hence why she allowed her daughter to leave the store with a man they only met an hour earlier . She never questioned why a total stranger would not only help her out at a dollar store, but also offer to give buy her kids clothes with a fake gift certificate, why not just give it to her ? never asks where this "wife" was or why he never left to go look for her.

AS for a "cure" Literature and science says "they can" , but you can almost always bet the house on any case that involves an abduction and murder of a child, they've done it , or something pretty similar before .

In MOST cases, where a child is abducted and murdered, the offender already has an established sexual criminal history, usually involving children.... Now thats "Most"not "all" mind you, some "appear to come out of nowhere", but that doesn't take into account crimes they weren't charged with or where the charges were dropped for whatever reason. Or the ignorance often telltale behavioral patterns these individuals exhibit pre-offense .

For ex:
" When his father, Lionel, once cleaned the remains of dead rodents out from under the house, four-year-old Jeff couldn’t help but play with them, happily running his hands through the bones. He seemed enthralled with the clattering noise they made. His father, interpreting this at the time as a sign of normal childhood curiosity, was only creeped-out in retrospect."......Lionel Dahmer on his son Jeffrey

SO can they be cured?

Let the psychiatrist who says they can have them babysit their kids for a few months before I give it a thought, but I call BS on it .

Once the behavior is known, there is no excuse for allowing them to live out in our society without a chemical castration. All society gets is more victims who didn't have to become victims. Someone with more smarts than I needs to start writing and attempting to pass legislation on the state level that will lead to chemical castration for sex offenders being seen as normal and necessary. It will make us get down to the nitty gritty of what a sex offender actually is; no more sex offenders because a guy turns 18 & his gf is 15-16. Actual real, sex offenders who rape, hurt, or like young children.

Yes, Eileen, I can see in my mind this very second the picture at that elevator of that beautiful little girl in that ~man's~ arms. She had her legs crossed -- the only protection she could provide herself.

Although the judge would not allow the trial to be streamed on TV, his last comments were filmed. I remember what he said at the end of the trial -- after the verdict and the sentence -- the judge made some comments and ended with, "Now get this man out of my courtroom." And that man, that evil selfish monster, is on Death Row, still breathing, eating, smiling and sleeping.

Thanks for the narration and cautions. I just can't watch/

I haven't been able to watch the video or listen to the calls until now. I just needed to prepare myself, knowing what this poor baby went through. A couple of things stood out to me--- first of all, Cherish is definitely grabbing in her crotch through her dress, when she is walking in the aisle. I wonder if that was after one of the dressing room visits. Also, she definitely hesitates and doesn't go out the door quickly at the end. And lastly, mom didnt go outside to look for the van?????? That right there says a whole hell of a lot!!! Give me 100 moms who ride to the store with their child and another person. Both go missing and tell me where that mom looks before she calls 911. For the car they arrived in is going to be at the top of that list! Because otherwise, there is still hope they are inside. Once the car is gone, it reaches a new level. No urgency in her voice!! I would be running around the store and the lot asking every person if they saw my child. I would be screaming out his name. EEEEEEVERYONE would know who we were looking for, what he looks like, etc. But she was worried the employees had to put back clothes. Being "raped" when she was young wasn't fun, she said. Not once did she say, "My poor baby!! She is probably so scared! I know shes so worried." or anything. Anything about the child and her feelings at the moment she was missing. I just can't. This case here. Uh-unh.

Thats just awful. I didn't know about that case. Its horrific. How can a mother do such a thing. It breaks my heart :(

Surveillance video and 911 call released by SAO. Trial pushed back to September this year, after new rules on Florida's death penalty take effect (so he'll be eligible for the death penalty).

Link contains the video link and 911 call link
http://www.news4jax.com/news/chilling-911-call-reveals-moments-after-cherish-perrywinkle-disappeared

Full release of multiple 911 calls with transcripts here:
http://www.firstcoastnews.com/news/cherish-perrywinkle-case-911-calls-and-transcripts/99090078

From the video, it says several mistakes were made by Law Enforcement, that officers were suspended as a result, that it took 6 hours to (?) And 7 hours to send out an AA.

glad these officers were suspended, just wished they were fired. even if its a "false" alarm, better be safe than sorry just in case the child abduction was real, like in this case :devil:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
genepool48