Found Deceased VA - Nicole Clardy Mittendorff, 31, Woodbridge, 13 April 2016 - #1

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm a newbie to this site, and I completely understand the need for all the guidelines, as well as the specificity of the guidelines. (Not just understand, but respect.) I hope it's on if I throw this idea out there, if not, I honestly SINCERELY apologize and totally get if it needs to be deleted. About 5 years ago, someone did something very very terrible to my mother. She was left for dead and wasn't expected to live (she did). I was living 1500 miles away and feeling VERY helpless and VERY enraged that no one seemed to officially know anything, and the police, well, I know families often perceive the police to be "doing nothing", but in this case, there were MAJOR missteps, it felt like the twilight zone. All I could get from people close to her were rumors, and so of course I was trying to piece together every little random thing I had heard, and certain scenarios with a common theme really started to jump out at me. The police seemed completely disinterested. I couldn't MAKE them care about the fact that my mom was in a coma, multiple bones crushed, sexually assaulted. She was on section 8, a former drug user, no family that the POLICE were aware of. Of course I think that's why it didn't matter to them, but I could be wrong. Anyway (I'm sorry for running on), not knowing what else to do, I called the news stations in her city. I basically "pitched the story" to whomever I could, and when one reporter truly seemed to take a real interest, that's how I decided to share all the info I had gathered with her and her only. I knew that if I promised to only give her the info exclusively, she might work harder to crack the case. I knew she would have local contacts/sources, but more importantly, I knew the police would care a LOT more about a reporter showing up and asking questions about what they were and weren't doing to find who attacked my mom than they cared about me bugging them with phonecalls. I also called the local political representatives for the district she lived in and basically said "is THIS how the police are allowed to treat poor people in YOUR district? Channel _____ is at the station now asking for answers, can ________ get a few minutes with you as well? Help me please." I needed to make this "pot" too hot to keep a lid on it. To make a long story slightly less long, it blew up on the news. The detective on the case was basically flustered and fumbling his words on television daily. All of a sudden EVERYONE was focused not just on what happened to my mom, but there was a HUGE spotlight on all the WTF moments of the police investigation. My point is (I SWEAR I will edit myself MUCH BETTER in all future posts) I know the rumors (and related theories) aren't allowed here, but, for those of you who feel very strongly about what you have uncovered, maybe it would be beneficial to contact the news. You may get blown off and made to feel insignificant, but all it takes is one reporter to take an interest and then THEY can do what they want with the info you give them. Even if it's just rumors, let them dig, let them decide what is worth pursuing. If there IS any sort of cover up here, if the right questions just are not being addressed, it will be an uphill battle to get to the real truth, and having a motivated, focused reporter who refuses to give up or be intimidated can completely change the momentum and trajectory of a case. (Again, I realize how ANNOYING a post this long and rambling from a total noob must be, and I promise I will never write a novel here again:) )

I totally understand why you're asking this, Zuri. ;)

You know, the new models that have built in GPS - I would think there would be some sort of app available similar to the iphone "Find my phone" app. If not, there certainly needs to be one available nowadays, exactly for reasons such as this. Can you imagine? LE would be able to trace the car instead of spending man hours searching all over.

Indeed you do ;).

I need to make sure all my kids have the "Find My iPhone" app. It is on my iPhone, however I have no clue how it got there.

Nicole's definitely getting the no expense spared treatment which is good in her case, but it sure would be nice if all the missing soles with have here on WS received the same treatment.
I'm afraid this level of care may turn out to be an effort to CYA, on the part of this very elite fire dept.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/GPS_tracking_unit

I think I was confused as I thought all cars had some sort of GPS tracking device but after googling, it is a device you put on your car if you want to track your kids or someone else. I know rental car companies sometimes have them on their fleet of cars.

When I was traveling recently, I could bring up where my car was on my iPhone and iPad in addition to the built in navigation system. I was just hoping LE could have tracked her car's routes the day she went missing. Maybe her phone pinged? off towers as she drove or texted and LE can get this info remotely if they don't have her phone?

I'm sure they've already exhausted their efforts with the phone pinging. As it's been stated earlier in the thread and as I personally know from when i worked in Goshen, VA and have driven through Skyline to get there your phone signal can get pretty spotty especially around where her car was found. If she has Verizon then she would have more luck having signal out there than anyone else I think due to how widespread and huge that company is but we don't know what provider she had and that will probably be kept under wraps.

Indeed you do ;).

I need to make sure all my kids have the "Find My iPhone" app. It is on my iPhone, however I have no clue how it got there.

It's standard on the latest OS for iPhone but you have to manually share your location with others. My best friend (who is single and a frequent hiker), fiancé and I all share with one another because I read websleuths and am paranoid ;-)

The Find Nicole page just posted they have the data requested earlier. It's being sent to LE.

b53a894f5be4ebb9be6caef9a4675436.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fire Dept has nothing to do with leading the search.
The VSP and FFX Co FD are very close...IMO, they are working very closely on this case and each department could easily influence the overall path of this investigation. But you are correct, VSP is in charge and to some degree NM is one of their own.

i agree, Just K.

and IMO the vsp didn't want the fire captain to reveal that information...

It's standard on the latest OS for iPhone but you have to manually share your location with others. My best friend (who is single and a frequent hiker), fiancé and I all share with one another because I read websleuths and am paranoid ;-)

I've turned the GPS on my phone. All the time now. It's thanks to Websleuths 😉

I think that it might be somewhat relevant, because if it was not a current pregnancy, she may have had a miscarriage and that could possibly give some insight into her state of mind. I am thinking LE does know this information though, and I don't think they're about to disclose it to the public since it's pretty personal.

I haven't read every single post, so forgive me if this info has been sorted out already. I wanted to comment on the possibility of a miscarriage and how this may or may not have anything to do with her being missing.

This is just my experience, and I know not everyone is the same, so take it with a grain of salt. I had a recent miscarriage and it devastated me. I started falling apart, couldn't stop crying, began having thoughts of suicide. I was also physically affected, as it caused me to bleed for over two weeks & I felt tired, weak, and run down. I was going downhill fast and I was not in the best mind for taking self-care measures.

My boss found me sobbing on the stairs at work (again) and ended up telling me if I didn't call for help, she would be calling for me. I decided to call myself because I didn't want her calling 911. 😐 I called & scheduled a follow-up with my midwife, who suspected PPD & sent me to a psychiatrist. The psychiatrist diagnosed me with PPD and started me on an anti-depressant. He said the miscarriage, besides obviously being sad and traumatic, had thrown my hormones off & was affecting my brain chemistry. After a while on the anti-depressants, I was still sad, but less out of control with my feelings and suicidal ideation.

This is just my own perspective, but I was very distraught and it wasn't too far out of the realm of possibility to think about driving to a forest and walking into it, not caring what ended up happening after that, or maybe taking pills/meds of some sort & then walking in, etc. NOT saying this is what happened here, but until recently, I didn't know one could develop PPD after a miscarriage (not a full-term birth), either.

From being on WS, I'm pretty jaded & generally lean towards suspecting foul play over suicide or an accident in the majority of cases. I haven't caught up on this entire case, yet, but is there a general consensus from WS members on what may have happened here?

I'm leaning more and more towards the idea she has disappeared on her own terms.

Wednesday: 10:50 texting with Dad, last known location: Warrenton. Calls in sick to work. Heads to SNP
Thuraday- nothing
Friday: MPR posted, with reference to 11am Wednesday morning
Saturday: car found at White Oak Canyon trail parking lot Syria, VA

its not being reported as a crime. She is listed as missing and endangered. Family is being really tight lipped about personal details. And they are looking for downloads to her phone. Which I would put money on where Maps. The Maps would be available to her with out cell signal. She is a marathon runner and triathlete- she could be anywhere by now.

Just occurred to me re: leaving the car in a parking lot at SNP. That's a location it would be absolutely certain to be found and in relatively short order. Park rangers check the lots routinely. NM, or whoever left the car there, wanted it found there. Why?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Maybe she needed to check out some and is hiking the Appalachian Trail? In a week she could be anywhere, NC to PA.

Maybe she needed to check out some and is hiking the Appalachian Trail? In a week she could be anywhere, NC to PA.

My exact thoughts: other than why miss work Friday with a NCNS. Unless she had no intentions of coming back.

Didnt someone mention there is a group of trails goers in SNP? I got the impression there was a group moving together through the park. Maybe they saw something ?

Maybe, I was wondering if she had enough gear in her car. That said, short of her being depressed, why not notify your employer and/or your family. If you need to take off, request medical leave or something.

Would a suicidal person go to the gym for a crossfit workout right before disappearing? I just don't see that happening.

I agree, it wasn't bullying. It was what the paid firefighters act like with each other, like frat men, they haze rookies, they make fun of volunteers and they discuss rumors. It was distasteful. But it had to do with some of her behavior within that community. Because it's anonymous people often tell the truth.

And I'll say again.. it is bullying by legal definition. Whether or not the gossip was true is irrelevant. Posting people's real names and photos is appalling behaviour, it's not a "bit of fun". Those responsible don't care that they can cause distress - not just to the people named but their families and loved ones. It's plain harassment.

It's really disappointing to see posts here from people dismissing it as ok because that's just what they do. Would you feel the same if it was you? A family member? <modsnip>

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SashaBN1