Found Deceased VA - Nicole Clardy Mittendorff, 31, Woodbridge, 13 April 2016 - #1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Isn't it libel by damaging her reputation? I know it isn't criminal but I do think she could sue for damages.

I found the site and did a search on her name. I see original poster name was techie 7. This techie 7 RESHARED the same post two days ago with an alias of "person responsible". Now I'm very much more suspicious of foul play and hope LE is aware of that.
I think this was an anon poster saying that techie7 caused this, or at least that's how I interpreted when I saw it

How to report it? Someone else please go to the forum, type her name in search and see what I'm seeing. To the right of the post shows alias/user name.

But if she downloaded maps they wouldn't work without signal right? Maybe she downloaded music to listen to?
GPS works with satellites. I have map apps (that I have yet to use) that claim to work without signal. The app provides map images (like Google does for ex.) and works with the GPS to show location on the map, direction, speed, etc. But she could have downloaded music. The are concrete posts at trailheads and trail intersections with imprinted metal bands that pretty much give all the info you need in most cases. The AT is blazed white on the trees, hiking trails blue, horse and hiking trails are yellow blaze. I usually reserve the GPS for finding a favorite camping location off the trail, I will take the phone for music, taking pictures, and often you can manage a text out or in, sometimes you can find a spot where you have good enough reception to call. Cell service is improving a little every year in the backcountry. Travel in Airplane mode to save battery and you can play music for many hours.

I should add that I have on rare occasion missed a trail marker or even followed something that wasn't the real trail for a short distance, not a big deal usually, if you're not in a hurry to get back before sundown for example. Also it is possible to hike many trails in Shenandoah by moonlight alone, which is an interesting experience.

A lot of chatter on the most recent thread at that "Top Secret" site in the last few minutes.

Isn't it libel by damaging her reputation? I know it isn't criminal but I do think she could sue for damages.

It has to be a lie. And for a libel action to occur, they would need to be able to identify the author(s) of the lie and then be able to go to court and prove it. It would be a horrendous experience in itself.

Seen a couple of people say this isn't bullying. Yes it is, pure and simple. It's almost textbook workplace bullying:

Persistent, offensive, abusive, intimidating or insulting behaviour, abuse of power or unfair penal sanctions which makes the recipient feel upset, threatened, humiliated or vulnerable, which undermines their self-confidence and which may cause them to suffer stress.

It doesn't have to be verbal. That particular forum is a cesspit, and they aren't even trying to hide the names of their targets.

At this point I see someone who may have lost a baby, a marriage and doesn't seem likely to have been getting much support from her colleagues. Extremely sad.

Like 40 said, I wouldn't classify as bullying. They definitely shamed and outted (if their conjecture was true) her, but they weren't harassing or bullying. It was basically a bunch of bros too stupid to care that locker room talk should stay in a locker room and not be posted for the world to find/see.

We dont know the full extent of it yet.

The family is asking for legal help to access files that were downloaded by Nicole just prior to her disappearance. They wondered if it could be maps, but it could also be pictures or memes.

And some of them can be pretty cruel.

If someone found her Facebook page she might have also had her cell listed. People really shouldnt do that but youd be surprised at how many do.

This next part isnt directed at you, just the thread in general:

All we can do right now is try and process what little information we have, and from as many angles as possible.

Its all of those differing perspectives and areas of expertise that sometimes help us make headway in cases like this. People shouldnt be making fun of others here, saying that were paranoid, that we watch too much Investigation Discovery or attempting to stifle the free exchange of ideas either, just because they dont agree with them.

That runs counter to this forums very existence and is not helpful to these missing persons in the slightest.

One thing on the SM site: a username isn't required, so somebody posting as techie9 or whatever it was now is not necessarily the same person from months ago.

The plea for legal assistance regarding the phone sounds to me like VSP is stonewalling the family and they aren't accepting it. Does it come across that way to anyone else?

The plea for legal assistance regarding the phone sounds to me like VSP is stonewalling the family and they aren't accepting it. Does it come across that way to anyone else?

That was my first thought too.

She was recently separated from her husband. They were not living together. They have only been married for 3 years... I think that's something that would be cause for personal dissatisfaction.

Has it been reported that they are separated and not living together? I hadn't read that.

Only if you believe there was foul play. Otherwise, VSP has no legal means to access the phone it seems.

...or that the rumors weren't true or partially true.

Does anyone else find it curious that the bullying posts were associated with her work, however in the press releases they stressed how much she loved her job?

Does anyone else find it curious that the bullying posts were associated with her work, however in the press releases they stressed how much she loved her job?
Not really. Female in a male dominated workplace. It's not uncommon or surprising, if sad. Just because she loved it doesn't mean everybody loved her.

I want to think Nicole just left town.
But would she really worry all those near to her?

Gm everyone.

Read all the comments (which I cannot do at home due to my second job as designated cook :D)

I can see a female being bullied in a male-dominated job and generating jealousy. Lived in NOVA for 13 years, owned property in Woodbridge (where Nicole lived). It is a great area but I had a lot of issues making real friends; people tend to be very job oriented and somehow disconnected and shallow.

Also, there is a darker side in a subgroup that is racist, sexist, offensive etc. (I prefer not to comment but I knew of this going on in SM a long time ago). All this is my perception, based on my experiences.

I am still hoping for a happy ending. I saw her family is trying to get an attorney, good for them.

I agree, it wasn't bullying. It was what the paid firefighters act like with each other, like frat men, they haze rookies, they make fun of volunteers and they discuss rumors. It was distasteful. But it had to do with some of her behavior within that community. Because it's anonymous people often tell the truth. I don't think anyone commenting about her on that forum did her harm. And LE obviously doesn't suspect them either. LE obviously doesn't suspect foul play due to facts we the public aren't privy to. If she wanted to commit suicide or disappear on her own recognizance they can't get a warrant for her phone records. This is similar to how LE acted with the Leanne Heche Bearden case from 2014. We found out why after they found her body and did the autopsy.

I agree, it wasn't bullying. It was what the paid firefighters act like with each other, like frat men, they haze rookies, they make fun of volunteers and they discuss rumors. It was distasteful. But it had to do with some of her behavior within that community. Because it's anonymous people often tell the truth. I don't think anyone commenting about her on that forum did her harm. And LE obviously doesn't suspect them either. LE obviously doesn't suspect foul play due to facts we the public aren't privy to. If she wanted to commit suicide or disappear on her own recognizance they can't get a warrant for her phone records. This is similar to how LE acted with the Leanne Heche Bearden case from 2014. We found out why after they found her body and did the autopsy.

I sure hope LE review the comments on that page and make their own determination and interview those involved with the bullying comments. There may be more to the story.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ceishen637