OH - Pike County: 8 people from one family dead as police hunt for killer(s) #3

Status
Not open for further replies.
It must have been "hydro" weed. A gram of it usually sells for about 50 bucks or so, I think?

Lol... I have no clue! Don't smoke. I have a lot of friends who do though. I asked one of them and he said sometimes you can pay up to $100 for a quarter of the good stuff.

I was under the impression for awhile that Dana's house was right around Chris and Frankie's, now it's a mile away? I'm also wondering if the house that didn't have plants is her house, so this is making less sense to me. Why go to her house, kill all three there if there's not any drugs? We also know Chris and Gary were beaten up, this wasn't just clean kills. Why kill Dana and the teens? It doesn't make any sense.

I missed alot last night...
trying to catch up on previous thread- Okay, so dogs are missing? That was confirmed that they were possibly shot?

This also wasn't directed to Dana's family side that only lives about a half mile away, or other Rhoden family members living close to Kenneth's.

I missed alot last night...
trying to catch up on previous thread- Okay, so dogs are missing? That was confirmed that they were possibly shot?

I know it's been confirmed they are missing but I didn't read anything that said they were shot/dead.

If one marijuana plant yields a pound per year,
http://www.ilovegrowingmarijuana.com/marijuana-cannabis-yield-how-much/
and 1 pound costs $1200, say
http://narcoticnews.com/drug-prices/marijuana/
and the operation has 200 plants, then the revenue will be
200 x $1200 = $240,000/year.
Of course the profit will be smaller, because there are also costs.

The costs will be roughly $200/pound,
http://health.costhelper.com/marijuana-growing-indoor.html
so a total of 200 x $200=$40,000.

I don't know how many people are involved in the operation, but let's say 5, then this is $40,000.
This may be peanuts for mexican drug cartels. On the other hand, it is quite significant for people
with a modest income.

So, I definitely think that the growing operation could play a role in the killings, whether a mexican drug cartel is involved or not.

This is my first time posting so I hope this goes to the right place and makes sense! If not, I apologize and I will figure it out eventually :)

This is a most confusing case. My first thought when the news broke was family annihilator. As more details emerged, it doesn't seem to fit the MO of a family annihilator at all so I ruled that out. For instance: 1) No suicide of perp 2) Seemingly no family member with an ax to grind (that we know of-it's usually pretty easy for LE to weed that out right away) 3) Methodical and professional without apparent rage/passion seen at crime scenes (as details emerge, we hear more about this. I've heard rumors and according to BJM 911 call, someone was beaten, but I don't think that is confirmed by LE yet as autopsies aren't released).

As more details emerge, the waters are further muddied. We learn about pot growing, and a more sophisticated operation than a home grower, but previously it was mentioned that LE found 200 plants or thereabouts. 200 plants does not make this a huge commercial enterprise that would warrant cartel involvement. It is possible that CR, Sr. owns lots of different plots around the area that may or may not be used for growing more pot or something else, which would make it all more of an enterprise, but that is all speculation at this point. As it stands, it doesn't seem to be big enough to warrant this kind of action from a cartel. On the other hand, small time dealers and gangs have killed for less. This amount of money/size of growing operation could be more important to someone else who is competing, or wants what belonged to this family, or is owed money.

Here is where I net out with the info we have so far:

This was obviously planned and carried out meticulously, but is also personal in some way. The perp(s) would know this family well, but carried out this massacre without rage or passion. There is a driving reason here, and they were well known to each other, but it involves something besides being angry or scorned (by the whole family-I have the feeling it is directed toward one or two people only-more on that below). It suggest the perp(s) are familiar with the family, but not in the tight inner circle. I would be surprised if the perp(s) are family members. If so, not close family members (I know this family is large so it is possible).

Since we have no evidence that CR Sr and fam were dealing/growing in major amounts, I am inclined to believe that GR or KR were the intended and most important targets-the rest of the family was collateral damage for whatever reason. IMO, the rest of family would be able to tell LE who did this very quickly based on some info they had in regards to the situation and therefore became victims. Since the events took place in Ohio and we know most so far about the immediate family living on those adjoining plots of land on Union Hill Rd. it is hard to know what these guys were up to in KY. I will be interested to find out who was beaten before being executed, and who was executed while in bed sleeping. If some members of the family show that the perp(s) were more angry at him/her and sustained more injuries, I think that will tell us where all this is coming from. Perps are possibly living in KY, and more tied in with the visitors than the nuclear family.

Just another note: from the aerial pics and video, it looks like it would have been easy for perp(s) to hide in the junk yard or the woods for hours before moving in. They would have been able to keep watch and know when everyone was sleeping, when lights went out, etc. Because of the mess of vehicles and other junk yard items strewn about, it will be hard for LE to find evidence. That is a lot of stuff to comb through, with no guarantees of finding anything. We don't know how much movement that junk yard saw on a regular basis. People in and out buying cars and car parts...lots of possible evidence that might lead to nothing. I do believe that the perp(s) came in through the woods/junk yard, and might have been there watching for some time beforehand.

I am sorry if I got any of the details wrong and if I have, please correct me! The details of this case are so convoluted and with so many people involved, it is hard to remember who is who and what is what, rumors vs. fact. This is so incredibly tragic and my heartfelt condolences to the family.

Nothing about this case is making sense to me, but the biggest thing that is throwing me off is the fact that the family was killed throughout multiple locations.

That detail makes it very hard to pinpoint a motive. If it was a relationship gone bad (an ex is upset with another) it would MAYBE make sense for there to be multiple victims (in addition to the target) in one house because others may have seen or heard and could identify the assailant. But why go through the trouble of going to THREE other properties and killing more people?

If it was a cartel hit, or something related to the marijuana operation, that also doesn't make sense with the multiple crime scenes. In the interview I watched with Dana's father he stated the family had dogs, several of them, and breeds that are known to be guard dogs. He also stated that whoever is responsible is likely someone the dogs were friendly with, and I agree with that. I haven't heard of any signs of forced entry, nor the dogs being injured, shot, etc. All of that points to whoever is responsible being very familiar with the family. I don't buy that the cartel was someone that was frequenting the family homes enough to know their dogs, know where their key was hidden, know what residents would be in which house, etc.

That, to me, leaves only one plausible theory which is that someone very close with the family was upset and killed the entire family. They would know who would be home, in which house, at what times, and have the knowledge to plan this very carefully, as the sheriff has stated occurred. But the question is why, and who? Who had THAT big of a grudge against MULTIPLE different members of this family?

I just can't get past the fact that a person (or people) planned this at multiple houses, to target multiple victims.

As someone posted on the other thread, if the perps had been the previous day to all the peoples homes for visit etc then they would be witnesses, so all of them had to be killed. It does make some sense, no witnesses as to who was there the day before? IDK

I think it may already have been posted, but that's OK.
(Bobby Jo:)
"The Pike County Sheriff's wanted to ask me the same questions the BCI did,'' she said, adding that investigators seem to be fixated on when she found the bodies. They said it was earlier, Bobby Jo says. But she said, she went there around 7 a.m.

"I think they should all just leave us alone,'' she said in a moment between tears.

Leonard Manley looked up as his daughter and sighed.

"Look, we are just hillbillies,'' he said. "We ain't got no revenge in our hearts.''
What did the father mean by the last statements? Are they accused of taking revenge? Or did someone suggest they might take revenge?

Why does police question the time that Bobby Jo arrived?

Why did the police take the car of Leonard's son, and was the son handcuffed in that picture?
Does the police suspect that some family members took revenge?

Edit: I didn't intend to put a smiley face there... I actually meant ":" and then a ")". :) <----intentional

Last I heard there have been 5 search warrants. It would be interesting to learn if any warrants were also used in Kentucky.

Nothing about this case is making sense to me, but the biggest thing that is throwing me off is the fact that the family was killed throughout multiple locations.

That detail makes it very hard to pinpoint a motive. If it was a relationship gone bad (an ex is upset with another) it would MAYBE make sense for there to be multiple victims (in addition to the target) in one house because others may have seen or heard and could identify the assailant. But why go through the trouble of going to THREE other properties and killing more people?

If it was a cartel hit, or something related to the marijuana operation, that also doesn't make sense with the multiple crime scenes. In the interview I watched with Dana's father he stated the family had dogs, several of them, and breeds that are known to be guard dogs. He also stated that whoever is responsible is likely someone the dogs were friendly with, and I agree with that. I haven't heard of any signs of forced entry, nor the dogs being injured, shot, etc. All of that points to whoever is responsible being very familiar with the family. I don't buy that the cartel was someone that was frequenting the family homes enough to know their dogs, know where their key was hidden, know what residents would be in which house, etc.

That, to me, leaves only one plausible theory which is that someone very close with the family was upset and killed the entire family. They would know who would be home, in which house, at what times, and have the knowledge to plan this very carefully, as the sheriff has stated occurred. But the question is why, and who? Who had THAT big of a grudge against MULTIPLE different members of this family?

I just can't get past the fact that a person (or people) planned this at multiple houses, to target multiple victims.

I am also having a hard time getting my head around the immensity of this one. The MO speaks not only to organization, but also a show of power. Strikes me that the grow operation itself was smallish (?)--these folks perhaps being the last link on a chain. In what ways might they arouse sufficient ire to draw forth such a show of power. Selling to a competitor, perhaps--secretly and for a higher price? Skimming profits? *advertiser censored* fighting perhaps brings in another angle. The Dad's rambling statement including the suggestion that someone ask about what's going on at the nursing home. If credible (and I'm not convinced that it was) perhaps drugs beyond marijuana are involved--upping the ante considerably. And possible Medicaid fraud? Also, in a cash-poor community, perhaps food stamp fraud? There have also been cases in other Ohio rural counties of ripping off various Dept of Ag programs--sometimes with a nod and a wink from local offices charged with enforcement.

There's gotta be a lotta "who do you trust" going on in this investigation.

I think it may already have been posted, but that's OK.

What did the father mean by the last statements? Are they accused of taking revenge? Or did someone suggest they might take revenge?

Why does police question the time that Bobby Jo arrived?

Why did the police take the car of Leonard's son, and was the son handcuffed in that picture?
Does the police suspect that some family members took revenge?

Maybe someone turned on the lights in the grow room. Pot plants require very specific light regulation to get green vs bud growth at various points in their maturation. Learned this today. If there is not an automatic system in the grow room, and there was a surge in electricity at a certain time very early in the morning this could be a tip that she or someone else was there much earlier. Say, 3:30 or 4:00 in the morning, the very odd hour that LE chose to wake them for hard questioning on Saturday (?).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aztraea