OH - Pike County: 8 people from one family dead as police hunt for killer(s) #11

Status
Not open for further replies.
On the issue of the dogs. I've been told a small squirt of wasp and hornet spray will send any dog running. Most of that stuff has a 20'-30' range...

Video means little without a time frame or enough detail. And how do you get a time frame, meaning how does imagery of a truck or car become relevant? I guess you can go by what has been attributed to the purported turkey hunter in the woods, or...perhaps in the struggles or indiscriminate shooting at any one of the locations, a clock or cell phone or wrist watch was struck and knocked off line. There could be clues in downloads of social media media activity: Facebook logs it all. There could be Cellebrite forensic extractions from their phones or tablets. You might get a timed reference point from any of those sources. The ME will have body temperatures. A real find would be some CCTV video from someone living on the road. Unfamiliar cars on a road that lightly traveled will stand out to residents. The question then becomes will it be of sufficient resolution, or have enough night sensitivity to generate usable imagery. It's one thing to see a blurred image of a vehicle. It's another to get the make and model and identifying options like wheels. The better choice would be video from some commercial location, which will have the HD detail and lighting to read tags and see driver features that investigators need.

The thread is slowing down, so let's play a little game.

Other than the obvious who and why, what is the one question you would like to see answered? Here's mine:

Where was Chris Sr. when this all started. Was he staying at Dana's trailer or was he at the 4077 trailer or somewhere else?

Was a vehicle found at CR Sr's that belonged to GR? Also, may there have been ties to the shatter operation? Weed=shatter=Health Systems????

To me a 4 wheeler at night isn't that odd. Our neighbors are often out romping around in the fields, especially during hunting season looking where they want to set up in the morning. I think it depends on what is normal near you. We have several people nearby that are always out on them day and night, so it never phases me. If they weren't regularly out at night and I heard it, then it would be weird, but most people aren't thinking a murder or crime is being committed, certainly not in a small town like mine, and might note it as being strange but not do anything until they hear so and so was murdered or this crime happened. JMO. We do also have neighbors with electric golf carts that we don't hear, we just happen to see when they are illegally driving down the roads.. Ahh, country life.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Update, 2:45 p.m.: Attorney General Mike DeWine said Tuesday that investigators have acquired video pertaining to the investigation of the April 22 killing of eight people in Pike County.

"We reached out to people initially that we thought might have video," DeWine said during a media session in his Cincinnati office. "We were able to obtain some video."

Just before meeting with reporters, DeWine's office sent a news release requesting more video footage from residents and business near the Union Hill Road crime scenes.

"This is just an attempt to get anything that has been missed," he said.

http://www.cincinnati.com/story/new...ors-seek-relevant-pike-county-video/84186366/

Additional info from the interview with AG DeWine

They backtracked a little to say its unknown when the properties/scenes will be released to the families. BCI is still there investigating.

Refused to give a radius for distance in their request for videos

No comment on potential video, and somewhat confusing about video they had already received.

ETA: Also no comment on any video that might have been obtained from the victims property.

Reporters are asking some pretty good questions.

This is what I do for a living.In our company I am the loss prevention.we have high tech cameras I can zoom in and watch footage and get plate numbers off of cars. Ours stores data for 7 to 10 days depending on the numbers of cameras running(some are motion activated). They are way late the ball games over and clean up crew even have went home.Smh moo!

If I were the AG, I'd also be calling for any turkey hunters who might have been out and about driving to their hunting areas. Do they recall any other vehicles. Remember any 'characters' they may have seen at the gas station/diner while getting coffee? Anything unusual? Any shots or other people heard once in the woods?

What about those who may have on their way to work or home from work between 2-7 a.m. Anything unusual?

I'm afraid they've missed their window of opportunity on getting people to recall incidences unless those people voluntarily reported.

Thank you everyone for your responses. I still don't get it though, I would think they would want to get that toddler checked out as well. In my mind I had LE taking the kid down to the office and trying to get whatever information out of him that they could.

An officer never questions a young child like that, usually they wait for a parent/guardian and then call in a child psychologist

Welcome to Websleuths!

What are your thoughts on Hillbilly justice and could that be what has happened? TIA

I believe it could be, yes. I mean, the term itself is kind of silly and I giggle every time I read it because, let's be honest, murder is murder no matter how you define the person committing it or the why of it all. Hillbilly Justice is basically going out and doing what you feel necessary (outside of the law) to right a wrong committed against you or someone you love (in this case, I'm thinking family). Whatever the Rhoden's may or may not have done must have been HUGE to warrant the death of an entire family unit, a fiance, a cousin and a brother...which is also why I think whatever the motive was in this case was directed at ChrSR, since it was his immediate family that was wiped out. These people even went several miles out of their way to get his brother, as well. This is just my opinion, though.

I feel like it would have to be someone local. Country roads are difficult to navigate in the daytime for folks who aren't used to those kinds of places...but at night? With no street lights? It gets DARK in the country. Without any kind of light to guide you, you would be super screwed, especially with the various critters that like to jump out in front of your car on occasion! I have been on some back roads where it's so dark that you literally cannot see your hand in front of your face. It can get downright creepy! I was looking at Union Hill Road on Google maps and my first thought was how dark it probably gets at night with the large gaps in between houses there. I know a lot of roads like that around here are totally without street lights, so I can't imagine it would be much different there. The landscapes are basically the same..curvy roads with not much more to look at but fields and trees between houses. If you're smart, you drive pretty slow down those kinds of roads at night because you know you can do some serious damage to your car and/or yourself if you run into a deer going anything over 25 or 30, if not less. I have been unfortunate enough to a hit a deer once in my life...with my BRAND NEW CAR...and it did 800 dollars in damage. Plus, I killed the deer and it broke my heart into a zillion pieces. I may have been born and raised in the country and raised with hard core hunters, but I swear to you I have never had the heart for killing anything. If I had to hunt for my food, I would probably be a mess of tears and blubbers for the rest of my life! :tantrum:

I was at first excited to see Dewine had come out and said something today until I read that it was basically...nothing. I am confused by the request at video footage from businesses near Union Hill. I would think that would have been something they would have checked place by place, in person...and way, way early on in the investigation? I'm not an LE expert, but it seems logical to me that this would be something considered well ahead of time, right? He specifically mentions the movement of any vehicles, though he says that the request is not limited to that. Could they be looking for a particular car, or have one already in mind? I hope so.

I hate the billboard is necessary. Whenever I think of those I think of those old cold cases that you always see on these kinds of things...and the idea that this is possible with the Rhodens makes my palms sweaty.

This area really doesn't have any gas stations or business' close by, the closest nearby place (with the exception of homes) that might have cameras would be the roadside rest at the foot of Union Hill (32 East). You are pretty much in BFE. I think some people are thinking it is close to Piketon (as they keep referencing it in reports) but it is about a 10-15 minute drive away. Actually, Peebles would be closer.

If I were the AG, I'd also be calling for any turkey hunters who might have been out and about driving to their hunting areas. Do they recall any other vehicles. Remember any 'characters' they may have seen at the gas station/diner while getting coffee? Anything unusual? Any shots or other people heard once in the woods?

What about those who may have on their way to work or home from work between 2-7 a.m. Anything unusual?

I'm afraid they've missed their window of opportunity on getting people to recall incidences unless those people voluntarily reported.

Agree. I cant hardly remember anything from yesterday. Let alone weeks before. LOL

It would have had to be something that really stood out to someone for them to remember something from that night. And by now they would have already called LE if they suspected they saw the shooters in the area.

That is why I am a little shocked LE is just now asking the public for these things. It sure doesn't make me feel confident they are on top of things.

ETA
I would even add its worse than that when LE does this so late in the game. I interpret it like "oh so now because you cant figure out things on your own ....now you want our help". I suspect others in the area may feel this way too. Its a little upsetting.
Don't get me wrong. I am a big LE fan. Its just when I see things like this I have to pause and say WTH? Who is running their shop?

I don't think any one would use an ATV for that far and yes they are loud.
attachment.php

Attachments

• Big Bear Lake Family Resort to 4199 Union Hill Rd, Piketon, OH 45661 - Google Maps.jpg
    Big Bear Lake Family Resort to 4199 Union Hill Rd, Piketon, OH 45661 - Google Maps.jpg
    82.8 KB · Views: 273
I wondered about that! It didn't appear that there was anything within a good distance of the Union Hill homes. I can see them looking at nearby gas stations or shopping areas, but if there aren't any...the radius would have to be fairly large, especially if they have no idea where these people are coming front...and what they came IN. It's all so confusing.

You would definitely hear an ATV, four wheeler, motorcycle, etc. I would imagine it's nice and quite out there at night, aside from the sounds of crickets, etc. :) Anything that breaks that silence would be immediately noticeable....

I've been reading and thinking about this. The AG's request seems - odd. With as many investigators as they have in the area working on this case, my guess is that they have personally talked to every business and every resident in this area to inquire about security footage and to also ask if they noticed anything and that this was done within the first couple of days.

Could LE be playing a psychological game here? And if so, what could it be? There is a lot of psychology involved in homicide cases. I know this because a family member of mine was a homicide detective for many years and when he had a person of interest in mind, he was known to play some interesting games to get the confession he needed to guarantee prosecution of that person or persons.

This area really doesn't have any gas stations or business' close by, the closest nearby place (with the exception of homes) that might have cameras would be the roadside rest at the foot of Union Hill (32 East). You are pretty much in BFE. I think some people are thinking it is close to Piketon (as they keep referencing it in reports) but it is about a 10-15 minute drive away. Actually, Peebles would be closer.

I wondered why they kept saying Piketon when Peebles is closer.

I still have to wonder about the car of the missing man from Kitts Hill. A man went missing, apparently out of character for him, and his car was found on county road 5 in Kitts Hill. Still haven't found the man as far as I know (from googling anyway). When I looked on a google map of county road 5 kitts hill it was not that far from Piketon. The dates of the car/man missing and the date the car was found show it was around the same time as the Rhoden massacre. I can't help but wonder if the perps did something horrible with this man, took his car to go commit the massacre, and then dumped the car in the entry of the forest on county road 5. The dates and map just seem like it could be a possibility. I mean, surely if you were going to commit a mass murder involving 4 houses, you wouldn't take your own car. Stolen car would be the only way to go. Hoping LE has already considered this. Funny thing is, the only way I know about this missing man was through fb by looking at a friend of one of the Rhodens who happened to know the guy and posted they were looking for him. That's when I looked up his story because he was missing since the evening of 4/20 and found it interesting.

http://www.wsaz.com/content/news/Se...ng-man-in-Lawrence-County-Ohio-377203231.html

I wonder if what they are really requesting is for locals to check thier trail cameras, without out coming right out and specifying it. We have a friend that has one and he has to go and physically get the tape (or whateverit is recorded on). I have no idea how often he brings it in and checks it.

Interesting. I cannot find it now but didn't one of the earlier pictures show KR on a motorcycle? I looked through the media link but didn't find it but I am sure I saw it among the first pictures released when this case first broke.

There is also a pic of CRsr and DR on a motorcycle on the FB page titled "Justice for the Rhodens". It's the one with an orange ribbon as the header picture.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rodrickheffley