TX TX - Samantha Broberg, 33, missing from Carnival cruise ship, 13 May 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nah :) I won't change my mind about it being dangerous. Statistically low sure but too many un-screened potential creeps around in close proximity with a high interaction level. In a hotel you don't have that enforced intimacy. And it's not as easy for sociopaths to kidnap, rape, traffic, drug or kill people in a hotel with cameras everywhere. Plus there is the lax accountability on the part of the police in different Caribbean countries you visit.... different rules for the ship itself depending on foreign domain... :) uh uh

Yikes! When you put it like that, it DOES sound scary :D

True that some Caribbean (and Mexican) ports leave much to be desired, and there are particular places where we don't even disembark the ship. I cringe when I hear people talk about exploring some ports on their own as opposed to a ship-sponsored shore excursion.

I used to be that way, not suspecting the worst of people (not meaning her at all but others in her proximity) and I advise you to cherish your status quo. It means you've successfully evaded all potential predators in your life thus far. Congrats :) She hasn't been as lucky.

Eh, not necessarily. I have just learned to always approach things/people with a positive outlook, lest I be miserable. There have been a few people in my past (stress PAST), that I wouldn't want back. I notice there are different types of people out there; those who move far and fast away from their demons (physical or mental), those who live with their demons, and those who feed their demons. In NO WAY do I think any of those is an easy process for anybody. Not at all! But I can generally tell where a person is in their train of thought when pinterest boards like hers are made.

I am no psychiatrist, but I think when you see A LOT of those "screw you, you only made me stronger" inspirational posts, I think that the person might be dealing with a lot of anger and feels those posts (and the likes that come from them), are helping. I think it only helps to keep that person down and reminds them of the bad times. We all have those friends, and they're usually going through some pretty big life changes. I hadn't seen her pinterest until after I posted above, so yes, she could have been feeling too overwhelmed with it all (and maybe in her mind going when / where her family didn't have to find her might have been a good resolution). I don't know which scenario is better, TBH. I am so sorry for her kids.

You know a lot about the potential dangers of cruising for someone who doesn't cruise. I understand the impetus to let fear drive our decisions these days, but here's hoping you'll change your mind in the future.

(Or not--lower fares for the rest of us. ;) )

Hi ArianeEmory

I still hope to cruise one day, but ultra safely. Glued to my partner's side. And the destinations will be fussed over ;-)

You'd never believe it but I've been an expat many times. Lived in Hong Kong, Dubai & London and never knew anyone in those first 2 countries beforehand...no problem. There's just something about the cruising stories that creeps me out.

Hi ArianeEmory

I still hope to cruise one day, but ultra safely. Glued to my partner's side. And the destinations will be fussed over ;-)

You'd never believe it but I've been an expat many times. Lived in Hong Kong, Dubai & London and never knew anyone in those first 2 countries beforehand...no problem. There's just something about the cruising stories that creeps me out.

I don't have any desire to cruise because of reports of illness outbreaks. It doesn't happen all of the time, but enough for me to decide it's just better to vacation on land. True it happens everywhere. I also don't enjoy the idea that I'm stuck with a TON of people I don't know for days. Too crowded.

I notice there are different types of people out there; those who move far and fast away from their demons (physical or mental), those who live with their demons, and those who feed their demons.

I think when you see A LOT of those "screw you, you only made me stronger" inspirational posts, I think that the person might be dealing with a lot of anger and feels those posts (and the likes that come from them), are helping. .

Interesting perspective thanks! Especially the runner, cohabiting & feeder coping mechanisms. Great, tidy simplifying way to think of things! :)

I don't think she is a feeder. I see her "crying out for help and trying to alert her former support group on Facebook - that she has been isolated from over the past year ( we can see this from number of likes dwindling on her posts) - through the photo quote posts . It's clear to me she has been threatened, smeared and is full of shame. She can't pick up the phone or message these friends to explain.... because her life has become a living hell and she can't think straight. She has been "gaslighted" by a human demon and self worth is bottom of the barrel. She won't ask for help directly because that means explaining what has gone on, she's clinging to her dignity. Plus the head games & fear mean she's stuck anyway -Stockholm Syndrome.

The human demon has so demeaned and humiliated her that her self esteem is at its lowest point and her current personality is not how friends remember/relate to her. The things she has experienced have put her into a PTSD state of shock. She's not herself anymore. Her friends won't know her. Not all, but most. She feels alone.

But yes, she is defiant. Thank heaven. Her fighting spirit is still strong. Unfortunately that's a trigger to the human demon because defiance means they can't control her threatening their image (NPD). I'm not sure if she realises her life is in danger. Maybe she does. Maybe for that reason she'd do herself in rather than give that power away. But it's not my first thought in this situation though possible. Defiant types are unlikely to commit suicide... defiance means there's a rebel in there, a strong lady after all, just not used to this level of cruelty. Psychologically drowning but using her own outrage to give her energy. This lady is not numb.

As for the feeding style - I liken this to those who listen to heavy metal/head banging types, with vicious lyrics, or those who play war games on computer, shooting everyone. They're feeding the anger.

I don't have any desire to cruise because of reports of illness outbreaks. It doesn't happen all of the time, but enough for me to decide it's just better to vacation on land. True it happens everywhere. I also don't enjoy the idea that I'm stuck with a TON of people I don't know for days. Too crowded.

LOl adding fuel to the fire, more reasons. So true!

Yikes! When you put it like that, it DOES sound scary :D

True that some Caribbean (and Mexican) ports leave much to be desired, and there are particular places where we don't even disembark the ship. I cringe when I hear people talk about exploring some ports on their own as opposed to a ship-sponsored shore excursion.

Lol at least we can laugh about it. In safety haha. But if faced with a Caribbean Darth Vader trafficker etc one dark night, up on deck, whooooo . :) (I think I would dive off the ship rather than interact further lol)

She was married September 1, 2012 in Dallas. I'm not sure where you got your misinformation, but you should stop repeating it. She re-posted her wedding shots on FB in 2014 and 2015, but she was long married. Just fyi :)

ETA: sorry - this was in reply to Justice2016's post yesterday.

I wish your last sentence wasn't written in such a funny way :) because it's horribly true. After watching the videos about George Smith & the Russians, the lovely daughter of that lovely family (can't remember the name) who might have been trafficked to one of those islands etc I will always view cruising as a very dangerous way to vacation. I still want to do it one day but if I do I'll make sure to stay glued to my partner's side and carry pepper spray everywhere lol.

Hi Justice,

Just wanted to let you know, cruising really isn't dangerous at all, in fact, its very safe and laid back! We are taking our baby on her first cruise (for our Honeymoon!!!) in September, she'll turn 11 months whilst we're onboard, wouldn't be taking her if it wasn't safe! Mind you, my darling Mother-in-law is obsessed with the possibility that Little Miss could fall overboard! That's not ever going to happen to her!

I do agree with what you are saying. I have posted sad things before but I am not suicidal, it would suck for it to be taken out of context if I had an accidental death. I suspect suicide in Samantha broberg case but I'm not convinced. I just think it's a strong possibility now where as before I thought it had to be an accident or foul play.

Cruising is extremely safe. I've cruised solo to all kinds of places, and I've been been to Europe alone as well. Plus, I live in Chicago and next to Chicago, a lot of places look decidedly less dangerous. I know one of us is doubling down on her conspiracy theories and gabbing a lot about potential dangers (none of which has she experienced firsthand) ... very off-base. Crew members are definitely screened prior to employment. 99.999999999% of those crew members are not going to screw up the good opportunity they have with shipboard employment - it's just not going to happen. Just because a person isn't born in the good ole USA does not mean that he/she lacks an ethical or moral compass.

One of two things happened to Samantha Broberg: (1) an accident or (2) a suicide. Whether she was intoxicated OR sober, either of these events is entirely possible. I feel like Carnival did what they could with what they had to work with. There is no justification for spending millions to "upgrade" MOB systems when there is truly an extremely limited set of instances when that system could be/would be effective. I side with the cruise lines in that there is nearly zero economic benefit to the expenditure other than the "peace of mind" that may be derived by those limited events where someone survives a fall from height and impact with the ocean's surface. The probability of the latter two qualifiers being positive doesn't justify installation.

Deaths in cruising suck. Some people choose to die at sea and some people have the decision made for them (and not in homicidal terms). Paying attention during the safety drill and obeying the rules and regs of the vessel is paramount for being alive at the end of your journey - the rules are not tough to follow, but you have to WANT to do it.

It's common sense, but common sense isn't common.

I hope this doesn't cause more people to do this. Pretty much, if you want to stop all partying on the ship and ruin everyone's vacation, jump off early in the cruise.

We don't know for certain that this was suicide but in the event that it was, your response says to me that we still have much to do with respect to educating people about depression and suicide.

A rational mind doesn't attempt/commit suicide....but a tortured, hopeless one does. I would think in that moment when one decides that the only way to end their pain/guilt/shame (or whatever the overwhelming emotion is) by taking their life, they're not even capable of thinking about anything other than ending their pain. What a profoundly deep, dark place one must be, in their mind, to feel that ending their life is their only alternative. How sad for that person. Truly sad. I'm very doubtful that the moment or moments just prior to committing suicide, that they had the presence of mind to consider how they might impact someone's booze cruise. Those peoples' lives will go on ,whereas hers will not. Which is more important, someone's few days of drinking and fun, or someone's perception of life and hope being so gravely distorted, that they see death as the only end to their pain.

You already stated that from reading her Facebook page you felt she was depressed. So you call her selfish?

She was married September 1, 2012 in Dallas. I'm not sure where you got your misinformation, but you should stop repeating it. She re-posted her wedding shots on FB in 2014 and 2015, but she was long married. Just fyi :)

ETA: sorry - this was in reply to Justice2016's post yesterday.

Thanks for clarifying! I saw reference to newly wed somewhere then looked at her FB pic dates and got the wrong idea.

Hi Justice,

Just wanted to let you know, cruising really isn't dangerous at all, in fact, its very safe and laid back! We are taking our baby on her first cruise (for our Honeymoon!!!) in September, she'll turn 11 months whilst we're onboard, wouldn't be taking her if it wasn't safe! Mind you, my darling Mother-in-law is obsessed with the possibility that Little Miss could fall overboard! That's not ever going to happen to her!

Thanks Lalalemon. Sounds like your baby will be just fine under your care. Lol re your mother in law.

Thanks. Confirms she was affected by a narcissist /NPD person who was making her life a misery.

This doesn't "confirm" anything of the sort. With all due respect, this is merely (yet another) assumption on your part.

Good reminder about her being a mom of 4. We agree. It doesn't add up.

Being a parent doesn't preclude someone from suffering with major clinical depression and/or attempting/committing suicide, if that turns out to be the case here.

This doesn't "confirm" anything of the sort. With all due respect, this is merely (yet another) assumption on your part.

You're right. Call it an educated conclusion & not confirmation. Do a little more digging about the people in her life and you'll find one who is very suspect in behaviour - allegations of lying, cheating, being ultra successful in the public eye - someone intimidating, ruthless etc. Her post was very clear about someone smearing her.

The type of people who make a campaign out of smearing someone - and a campaign it seems to be from her helplessness about it based on the photo quote - are NPDs and BPDs. Her post is that of a victim - otherwise she'd simply call those whose opinion she cared about and give them the straight facts.

Wow! How sad!

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

Wow. I clicked specific quotes to see if it was actually her making the comments, and it was. How sad. Sometimes you can be in a crowded room and it is the loneliest place on earth. These posts of hers on Pinterest really do raise the possibility of suicide. I am so sorry that she felt that that was the only way out. IMO

Wow. I clicked specific quotes to see if it was actually her making the comments, and it was. How sad. Sometimes you can be in a crowded room and it is the loneliest place on earth. These posts of hers on Pinterest really do raise the possibility of suicide. I am so sorry that she felt that that was the only way out. IMO

I am not a member of Pinterest and cannot read anything unless I log in. are you saying there are negative comments being made by Samantha? Do they indicate she was depressed?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mona Lisa