OH - Pike County: 8 people from one family dead as police hunt for killer(s) #16

Status
Not open for further replies.
Socialization is an area of my expertise. Yes, I did write a dissertation. I know exactly what you were saying. Yes, you are correct, genetics appear to explain addictive behavior, but that, like the concept of nurture (read socialization) is a theory. Just because it's genetics doesn't make it a fact in terms of causing addiction.....same case for nurture. Likely addiction is "caused" by a combination of these two and other theories.

I know this conversation is O/T but living in a small town can be like living in a fish bowl sometimes. I've watched friends/family go back and forth to rehab/jail for years, only for quite a lot to drink, or drug, themselves into early graves, and they've most all had decent parents.

I'm not on SM, so I can only see whatever can be viewed publicly, but I know many of you have thoroughly sleuthed the victims' FB pages. What about their Myspace pages? Again, I can't see much, and can't tell how much they used those pages, but I did see that FR, HR and DR (as Dana Manley) all have myspace pages and just wondered if there was anything there that might add insight into their lives leading up to the night of the murders.

I'm not on SM, so I can only see whatever can be viewed publicly, but I know many of you have thoroughly sleuthed the victims' FB pages. What about their Myspace pages? Again, I can't see much, and can't tell how much they used those pages, but I did see that FR, HR and DR (as Dana Manley) all have myspace pages and just wondered if there was anything there that might add insight into their lives leading up to the night of the murders.
Good thought. I think Myspace gets overlooked sometimes now that FB came along.

Going with everything that I have read here and on MSM, I think that the grow op and possible cockfighting info may have been put out there to deflect attention from what really may have been behind the motive.

Looking at the cars, it hit me. Some of the victims may have been part of a money laundering scheme with the cars. There have been a lot of other cases prosecuted for money laundering through used car sales especially those involving a lot of cash transactions. Could be that another party to the ML conspiracy decided that this group was too high risk for them at some point. Probably didn't see an investigation like this coming though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Along those lines, I've been wanting to mention the attitude to the case here in North Carolina based on my observations. I am planning on moving back to Northern Ohio this summer. When mentioning it in casual conversation with various groups of people (moms at school, mechanic, doctor's office), the Pike County murders sometimes work their way into the conversation. It's amazing to me how people not following the case are under the assumption that it was Mexican Cartel and basically solved by lack of being able to pursue the perps. It's sad how it has fallen off people's radars. The consistent response is "oh yeah, the family killed by the Mexican cartel." Then I'm left wondering if that was a calculated move on LE's press releases out of the gate to deter from what was really going on. Unfortunately, our society is becoming accustomed to unsolved hits linked to mafia, cartels, etc.

Along those lines, I've been wanting to mention the attitude to the case here in North Carolina based on my observations. I am planning on moving back to Northern Ohio this summer. When mentioning it in casual conversation with various groups of people (moms at school, mechanic, doctor's office), the Pike County murders sometimes work their way into the conversation. It's amazing to me how people not following the case are under the assumption that it was Mexican Cartel and basically solved by lack of being able to pursue the perps. It's sad how it has fallen off people's radars. The consistent response is "oh yeah, the family killed by the Mexican cartel." Then I'm left wondering if that was a calculated move on LE's press releases out of the gate to deter from what was really going on. Unfortunately, our society is becoming accustomed to unsolved hits linked to mafia, cartels, etc.

Yes, isn't it crazy when people hear like one sentence about a crime and chalk it up to that? I had a friend who said "oh the one where they had the weed farms?"
Like ppl hear drugs and they shut down to anything else

http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2016/04/28/many-in-small-ohio-town-turn-on-murdered-family.html

Quote from Article: Two men approached as she spoke, all rednecks and jailhouse tattoos and teeth stained by tobacco like a lot of other young men around here,and asked to borrow money for the cigarettes that sit in virtually every PikeCounty hand. “I don’t have no money. Myboyfriend gave me these cigarettes,” Pritchard told the pair of the dukes inher pocket. “And he’s saving his money for us to go on a date.” The older ofthe two, who didn’t want to give his name, didn’t know much about Hannah, butsaid if you were the type of person to smoke weed or pop pills you had probably heard of the Rhoden’s, at least some of the younger ones.

This comment IMO is why I think it is area justice. Someone on another thread mentioned having an issue with the family, CR1 and realized the issue went all the way down the line to CR2. In order to "fix" the problem they had to eliminate the entire direct family. Unfortunately, they had a reputation in this community and the boys were known to be rough around the edges. IMO I think 90% of the time they were normal members of society and not what we would classify as "bad" people. Sadly they paid the ultimate price...

I find a few aspects of it unusual. The lack of any BOLO or suspect imagery or even a basic perp description.

An information lockdown as tight as I have seen on a case of this magnitude in decades.

I see billboards, but I do not see any ongoing appeals engaging the public for more information.

I don't see a lot of updates to reassure the people in the general area.

In similar heinous murder cases, investigators have often released some parts of a suspect profile if they need public support in tagging a perp. Not here.

And this: Whomever was involved in this will change because of it and that change will be observable to family, close associates and or intimate partners. Perhaps he or she will abruptly leave the area or increase the use of intoxicants/sedatives or become withdrawn. Cases like this have been solved by querying people on changes in friends' behaviors. Sort of surprised they have not reached out more in that area. Or, could be it's solved and they do not need further public assistance and are waiting for the labs to make the public disclosures.

Here only as an interested observer. No connection to this in any way.

Emphasis mine. I view it as a good sign that LE is tight-lipped and have asked for minimal assistance from the public. That tells me they don't need it. I'm confused why there hasn't been an arrest yet, but I'm holding to the belief they know who is responsible.

Emphasis mine. I view it as a good sign that LE is tight-lipped and have asked for minimal assistance from the public. That tells me they don't need it. I'm confused why there hasn't been an arrest yet, but I'm holding to the belief they know who is responsible.

I am also hoping this is the situation

Yes, isn't it crazy when people hear like one sentence about a crime and chalk it up to that? I had a friend who said "oh the one where they had the weed farms?"
Like ppl hear drugs and they shut down to anything else

Or, who haven't really heard much about it at all! At first I wondered if they'd been living in a cave, but then I realized I'd become obsessed.

Or, who haven't really heard much about it at all! At first I wondered if they'd been living in a cave, but then I realized I'd become obsessed.

Most people are so caught up in just day to day activities this just goes over their heads. We're special. :)

Well, I suppose "special" is open to debate, LOL. Everyone I know ... it seems like their spare time revolves around how many friends they have on facebook and how many likes they got on their status. Meanwhile, we're buried in criminal cases.

http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2016/04/28/many-in-small-ohio-town-turn-on-murdered-family.html

Quote from Article: Two men approached as she spoke, all rednecks and jailhouse tattoos and teeth stained by tobacco like a lot of other young men around here,and asked to borrow money for the cigarettes that sit in virtually every PikeCounty hand. “I don’t have no money. Myboyfriend gave me these cigarettes,” Pritchard told the pair of the dukes inher pocket. “And he’s saving his money for us to go on a date.” The older ofthe two, who didn’t want to give his name, didn’t know much about Hannah, butsaid if you were the type of person to smoke weed or pop pills you had probably heard of the Rhoden’s, at least some of the younger ones.

This comment IMO is why I think it is area justice. Someone on another thread mentioned having an issue with the family, CR1 and realized the issue went all the way down the line to CR2. In order to "fix" the problem they had to eliminate the entire direct family. Unfortunately, they had a reputation in this community and the boys were known to be rough around the edges. IMO I think 90% of the time they were normal members of society and not what we would classify as "bad" people. Sadly they paid the ultimate price...

While I am not too thrilled with the article's descriptive adjectives, I don't think it is far off of the mark w/their lifestyle.

The DEA is also involved.

Have no idea if they are or aren't. If they are, it is not for a few hundred seedlings (which if they are still alive means someone has been watering them in the evidence impound -- hmmmm). If there is pharmaceutical diversion going on, or some scrip mills and dirty docs, that gets their attention. Big quantities get their attention.

Most people are so caught up in just day to day activities this just goes over their heads. We're special. :)

Well, I suppose "special" is open to debate, LOL. Everyone I know ... it seems like their spare time revolves around how many friends they have on facebook and how many likes they got on their status. Meanwhile, we're buried in criminal cases.

I suppose we are. :thumb:

There are also plenty of people that use who have parents with high end jobs in nice houses with nice cars that don't use that preach to their kids their entire adolescent life how bad drugs are.

And there are plenty of kids that grow up with parents that use that don't.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes. There are all kinds of variation. That's why we have statistics to study variation and determine patterns /trends.

Hmmm. I don't see anything from April 21st.

Is this the right page?

https://www.facebook.com/hannah.h.gilley?fref=ts

(If you're friends with her you might be seeing a friends only post.)

yes that's the right page. It's GONE!!! It was there this evening when I came home from work about 6!!!!

Also, the post about the baby sitting up wasn't there. There was a post about chicken nuggets and fries that is still there, but the post was there, dated April 21. HR had put some??? In the comments and another girl asked if she was ok.

This is is creeping me out. I'm not the first person on WS who has seen SM posts and they have disappeared.

Me too! It's ridiculous! I've become consumed with this whole tragedy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KimKat