Found Deceased FL - Lane Graves, 2, Walt Disney World, 14 June 2016 #1

Status
Not open for further replies.
As someone from Nebraska who has visited Disney World many times....alligators are honestly not on my mind while I'm there. Not even when I stayed at a section of a different resort (Port Orleans Riverside) that's called Alligator Bayou. It's just not an animal we have here (except at the zoo) so it just doesn't come into play. We have a LOT of lakes and streams in Nebraska.. And it's fairly natural to dip your toes in if you're near one.

I'm confused. The reporter tweeted no one saw it happen in the water. ??

This is from the live presser:

[video=twitter;742947957012606976]https://twitter.com/caitlindineen/status/742947957012606976[/video]

Wading at a shallow water's edge does not, in my mind, contravene a 'no swimming' sign. It's not swimming.
If the sign says "do not enter the water under any circumstances" then that might be different. Waiting for confirmation on what, if any, signage Disney had up regarding the dangers of the water there.
Regardless, it's absolutely awful.

Read the Guardian article just linked. The reported tweeted that before the press conference, so the presser has the most up-to-date info on that.

The linked article says this: A lot of the crowd says the boy was on a beach area along the Seven Seas Lagoon when he was dragged in. No eye witnesses, though.”

Is that the tweet before the presser?

To be clear, I was asking in hopes that there were witnesses who could immediately support the parent's account. Just so people would stay off their backs. I'm not trying to imply anything sinister.

The linked article says this: A lot of the crowd says the boy was on a beach area along the Seven Seas Lagoon when he was dragged in. No eye witnesses, though,”

To be clear, I was asking in hopes that there were witnesses who could immediately support the parent's account. Just so people would stay off their backs. I'm not trying to imply anything sinister.

No, it doesn't.

[FONT=&quot]Christal Hayes, a reporter for the Sentinel, said before the conference that a helicopter was overhead aiming lights down at the lagoon, just south of Magic Kingdom.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]“A lot of the crowd says the boy was on a beach area along the Seven Seas Lagoon when he was dragged in. No eye witnesses, though,” she tweeted.[/FONT]

Before the conference. And that's one tweet from one reporter. Others are saying there are witnesses.
In that same article:

[FONT=&quot]Witnesses to the incident had given detailed accounts to authorities.[/FONT]

blue, I don't think the press conference specified that any of the witnesses saw the initial attack, but from the commotion, likely many saw the parents in the aftermath. I'm sure it happened too fast. But from my listening to the Sheriff, he did not specify who was standing where, nor did he say that any of the witnesses saw the attack. (He also did not say they didn't.)

Especially if it were 7 foot. These poor ppl may never get their baby back :(

What a heart-wrenching thought that is. I'm sure this family had planned and anticipated this vacation for a long time, and the thought of going home without their baby is unfathomable.

Wading at a shallow water's edge does not, in my mind, contravene a 'no swimming' sign. It's not swimming.
If the sign says "do not enter the water under any circumstances" then that might be different. Waiting for confirmation on what, if any, signage Disney had up regarding the dangers of the water there.
Regardless, it's absolutely awful.

I saw a photo online that showed a sign that simply says "no swimming."

For what it's worth....years ago, swimming WAS allowed in the Seven Seas Lagoon, I think. And even now, you can water ski in Bay Lake which is connected to Seven Seas Lagoon. https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/recreation/waterskiing/

My heart aches for them. Morbid, but I would wonder what if anything I could get back? Can I hold it? I'm still crying. I have a 3 year old boy.

What a heart-wrenching thought that is. I'm sure this family had planned and anticipated this vacation for a long time, and the thought of going home without their baby is unfathomable.

I saw a photo online that showed a sign that simply says "no swimming."

Yep, you're right, just saw it on Google Earth. It's a small sign that simply says "No Swimming".
There are no signs warning of alligators or not to enter the water at all.

Alligators become extremely aggressive during mating season (April thru July). That's a good time to avoid them for sure. They will attack a small child or dog playing in just a few inches of water. The splashing is what attracts them.

blue, I don't think the press conference specified that any of the witnesses saw the initial attack, but from the commotion, likely many saw the parents in the aftermath. I'm sure it happened too fast. But from my listening to the Sheriff, he did not specify who was standing where, nor did he say that any of the witnesses saw the attack. (He also did not say they didn't.)

Thank you. That's what I was trying to figure out...if there were witnesses to the incident in the water. Not the aftermath. I was hoping there would be people who were right there, for the sake of the parents. I'm sure opinions are already being formed by the public :(

Yep, you're right, just saw it on Google Earth. It's a small sign that simply says "No Swimming".
There are no signs warning of alligators or not to enter the water at all.

I wonder if the "no swimming" sign is because they don't have a life guard at the lake.

attachment.php

This is the sign, for reference.
And that's zoomed in. It's quite short.

For context
attachment.php

Attachments

• noswimming.PNG
    noswimming.PNG
    292.9 KB · Views: 571
  • noswimmingbig.PNG
    noswimmingbig.PNG
    1.1 MB · Views: 587