Oscar Pistorius - Sentencing - 7.6.2016

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello fellow sleuthers it's been a while since i have wrote in here..I appologise if someone has brought this up but i just seen pistorous got 6 years and i was wondering what happens to him when he goes to jail I cant see them letting him wear his flex prosthesis things that he wears as a runner in fact he prolly cant even wear normal ones in a jail are there guys in jail in wheel chairs or will he do his hole time in protective custody ...?

He'll have his prosthetics, and go back to the same wing in the Hospital seperate to main prison where he's already served 1 year already.
He will have open door to cell, be able to walk about , sharing an area with just one other inmate. He will have access to a gym and an outside area.
No running blades of course.

As he only has to serve 50% of the 6 years, she's actually sentenced him to just 3 years. Reeva's life was worth 3 years to the judge who's 'tough' on violence against women. She ignored the SCA's superior knowledge of the law and made it personal because she was miffed that her original highly flawed judgement was called into question. And I still don't know what the hell was going on with her reading this morning. It was an embarrassment. Did she even look it over first and practise saying the words out loud?

On a side note - I wonder how many complaint books the broken murderer has already filled up with serious issues like his mattress is too lumpy, or his cell doesn't face south, or his beans are the wrong shade of orange.

Remember she did the same thing at trial. Many of us thought that the female assessor had written it. It was like she was reading it for the first time.

Thank you all very much for your posts, which enabled us to 'be there'.

I sincerely hope the prosecution appeals this.... For Reeva, for the Steenkamps, for all women and for the future of justice in South Africa.
Judge Masipa's rationale, (I use the term loosely), defies logic.

And my Twitter post:

15 years is minimum sentence for murder in SA. J Masipa's sentence of 6 yrs for #OscarPistorius is an outrage for #Reeva. Hope it's appealed

Three weeks ago he looked as if he'd taken a lot of medication before he appeared in court. He was glassy eyed and unfocused. Today he seemed calm and alert. I'd have expected him to be at his most agitated today, and yet he wasn't.

Maybe different dosage or another medication, today. Probably something more for anxiety today.

Thats strange, go to Thomas - Williams (sp) twitter, he denied paying for the interview, to OP or anyone; says its against ITV policy to pay a convicted felon.

I don't know how they do it in SA, but in the State's. they often get around that by paying for 'pictures' and video clips. That way they can avoid saying they paid anyone for the interview, itself.

Remember she did the same thing at trial. Many of us thought that the female assessor had written it. It was like she was reading it for the first time.
Yes I remember the same hesitance at the trial, but this was even worse. So many words were mangled and mispronounced that I found it really hard to follow her. I swear my daughter was able to read better than that at the age of 6! Either Masipa hadn't read it first, or she was so angry at being overruled by superior judges that she could barely spit the words out, or she was plain incompetent, none of which bode well for a high-court judge who should have set aside personal feelings and sentenced accordingly. 6 years for murder sends out the message that women's lives are pretty much worthless, and that if you were once a 'hero' whose life is now 'ruined' - you should be treated more leniently than anyone else.

Yea, that was REALLY GOOD! Thank you!

There's this view of the sentencing too by Nick Van der Leek , who co-wrote books on this trial with Lisa Wilson , author of Juror13 blog https://juror13lw.com/category/oscar-pistorius-trial/

Here's their discussion on the 6 year Sentencing given by Masipa yesterday, -- Nick Van der Leek was in Court for the Sentencing (sat next to Mark Batchelor, friend to the Steenkamps)

WORTH A LISTEN

https://shakedowntitle.com/mediashake/soundcloud/

Is it correct that Pistorius remains in jail whilst any appeal of his sentence for murder is held.
It's defied belief that he was not incarcerated during the long sentencing process. In most Australia he would at least have been held on remand.

Re BIB. I think this whole 'we'll appeal less than 8 years' comment has been misconstrued. At the time it was supposedly said, there was discussion on it here and someone posted that the woman who said it claimed she had been taken out of context. I can't remember who posted that or how far back it was but it was definitely said that it was a misunderstanding. If that's the case, then Masipa having given 9 years less than the minimum and just one year more than she gave for CH would seem ample grounds to appeal. So I live in hope!

I was the one who posted that. You can look back on my posts to find it.

<modsnip>

i really liked the chatty soundcloud link between Nick and Lisa, Juror 13, they cover everything and bringing up the witnesses hearing Reeva's screams again, reminds us that this was just another travesty today, (yesterday) and Masipa is just hopeless, it should have been overwhelmingly obvious Murder Dolus Directus, 20 + years, or whatever, but she was in another universe, and from what Nick Van der Leek said , it seemed like EVERYTHING in that Courtroom seemed rehearsed, that is really scarey to hear. Like it was ALL a performance, they were never going to put Bladerunner away for a long prison term, he's a hero, or was, this was all an inconvenience to them- and so was bulldog Nel.

It's a really good listen isn't it, i hope Nel Appeals, because if left this just feels like there's still unfinished business.<modsnip>

BIB Now, I tend to agree. OP's demeanor early on in the Sentencing Hearing tended to reveal a level of comfort inconsistent with somebody about to be sentenced to 15 years of their life in prison. Just what did he know which enabled him to present as comfortable? It is a sad indictment on the SA legal system that Pistorius appears to be above The Law in that country. My honest opinion only.

Just reading his body language especially today suggested to me that he already knew what his sentence would be and that it was lightest he could have hoped for.

Yes I remember the same hesitance at the trial, but this was even worse. So many words were mangled and mispronounced that I found it really hard to follow her. I swear my daughter was able to read better than that at the age of 6! Either Masipa hadn't read it first, or she was so angry at being overruled by superior judges that she could barely spit the words out, or she was plain incompetent, none of which bode well for a high-court judge who should have set aside personal feelings and sentenced accordingly. 6 years for murder sends out the message that women's lives are pretty much worthless, and that if you were once a 'hero' whose life is now 'ruined' - you should be treated more leniently than anyone else.

I didn't watch it, of course, because it was on past midnite, my time. Still smh. The audacity of her. Guess we can add illiteracy to her resume. Absolutely bizarre. Whoever assigned her this case must be scratching their head. That's if the Judges don't simply pick straws!:silenced: This trial was on the world stage and doesn't bode well in the Court of Public opinion for SA. At least the Supreme Crt did their job well.

I'm with you on every single word of your post.

i really liked the chatty soundcloud link between Nick and Lisa, Juror 13, they cover everything and bringing up the witnesses hearing Reeva's screams again, reminds us that this was just another travesty today, (yesterday) and Masipa is just hopeless, it should have been overwhelmingly obvious Murder Dolus Directus, 20 + years, or whatever, but she was in another universe, and from what Nick Van der Leek said , it seemed like EVERYTHING in that Courtroom seemed rehearsed, that is really scarey to hear. Like it was ALL a performance, they were never going to put Bladerunner away for a long prison term, he's a hero, or was, this was all an inconvenience to them- and so was bulldog Nel.

It's a really good listen isn't it, i hope Nel Appeals, because if left this just feels like there's still unfinished business.
<modsnip>

<modsnip>Sad that she was assigned the ultimate high profile case, first ever to be televised in South Africa, truly sad.

She has punished him for recklessness, but he was found guilty of murder.

Yep, that pretty much sums it up. Reeva's death is no more serious than OP shooting his gun in a cafe, according to Masipa. White, rich boys will be white, rich boys. Leave them alone. :facepalm:

Imo, Frank, the man servant, not being called to the witness stand will always point to OP's guilt of murder, a crime of passion. Add to this the ear witnesses hearing an argument, the screaming before the shots, the cord, etc. etc. Where else but in SA could get away with this?

Judge Masipa, who heard the original trial, said in her ruling
"public opinion may be loud and persistent, but it can play no role in the decision of this court".

She should have added that justice can play no role either.

Yep, that pretty much sums it up. Reeva's death is no more serious than OP shooting his gun in a cafe, according to Masipa. White, rich boys will be white, rich boys. Leave them alone. :facepalm:

Imo, Frank, the man servant, not being called to the witness stand will always point to OP's guilt of murder, a crime of passion. Add to this the ear witnesses hearing an argument, the screaming before the shots, the cord, etc. etc. Where else but in SA could get away with this?

Its funny to me how passion (sex) can be transposed on to violence. Biting, slapping, etc... maybe. Murder, not buying it.

Well it's South African law. Personally I find the whole Pistorian thing 'creepy' but that is by the by. What Sherbet quoted is South African law. Re the BIB, Pistorius did not meet the requirement of taking 'the court fully into his confidence'. There have been many examples of Masipa's ineptness, and this supposed mitigator is just another in a long list.

How so? Is that a personal opinion that he did not, or a legal interpretation? I'm doubting that she would commit another blatant " reversible error," and haven't read any legal analysts who can point to one, but welcome any links to those knowledgeable about SA appellate law who think she abused her judicial discretion.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
palenp