MN - Philando Castile, 32, shot by police officer, 6 July 2016 #1

Status
Not open for further replies.
If you had taken a concealed weapon training, you would know that you are trained to tell police upfront that you have a weapon in the car. When police approach the car, you should be sitting in the car with your hands visible on the steering wheel, at which time you inform police that you have a weapon in the car. Not digging for your license somewhere. You hands should be visible.
(This may have been addressed so apologies if so...) In MN you are not obligated to declare your permit status. What you are saying is, IMHO, the best way to handle the situation. But it's not necessarily what is taught.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

(This may have been addressed so apologies if so...) In MN you are not obligated to declare your permit status. What you are saying is, IMHO, the best way to handle the situation. But it's not necessarily what is taught.
Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

^bbm Agreeing that under MN law, ppl do not have to declare that they have gun, when stopped by LEO for traffic violation.
That is, does not have to declare before LEO requests whether any person in car is a permit holder and whether currently carrying firearm.

I'm speculating that in MN (& other states), as their first question at traffic stops, some LEOs automatically request drivers & passengers to declare/disclose whether they have carry permits and if they are carrying guns.
After all, MN law requires ppl carrying guns (w a few exceptions) must have carry permits. So for a traffic stop, any person in vehicle w gun in vehicle should have carry permit & other ID per below (exceptions, if gun is unloaded & in trunk or completely enclosed in gun safe or equiv). JMO, could be wrong.

Quotes below are from https://dps.mn.gov/divisions/bca/bca...carry-faq.aspx

If asked by LEO, person must disclose whether carrying a firearm imo, could be wrong..
"Do I have to disclose to a peace officer that I am a permit holder and carrying a firearm?
Yes, upon request of a peace officer, a permit holder must disclose to the officer whether or not the permit holder is currently carrying a firearm." bbm
When carrying handgun & if asked by LEO, a person must display carry permit and valid DL, st ID, or govt issued photo ID, imo, could be wrong.
"Do I need to have my permit with me when carrying my pistol? Yes, the permit holder must have the permit card and a valid driver’s license, state identification card, or other government-issued photo identification in immediate possession at all times when carrying a pistol and must display the permit card and identification document when requested by a peace officer." bbm

More re MN gun laws in my post 516 - re training req'ed to get MN carry permit, detail about acceptable vehicle carry of guns if no carry permit, etc.

Was Philando still living in the county that issued his gun permit?

Was Philando still living in the county that issued his gun permit?

Yes. Hennepin County. It appears that he only had his permit one year--- since June of 2015.

I can't imagine the shock and disbelief of Philando Castile's family, friends, colleagues. How they are keeping it together and expressing empathy for LE from Dallas and the fallen officer's and their families-speaks of empathy towards others in their grief and sorrow. Imho

Actually you should say "I have a license to carry." Any mention of weapon or gun could be misunderstood.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Can someone explain something to me? If Ms. Reynolds had her hands up and was not allowed to move, how did she start filming with her camera? I am not cell phone savvy at al,l so it seems to me that it would be difficult, at best, for her to start filming after he was shot. And then to focus on him? How was that possible if the officer had a gun out?

On another related event. MN police officers working the Lynx game walked out over player comments and warm-up jerseys.
http://www.startribune.com/minneapo...er-player-comments-warm-up-jerseys/386373171/

THEN, the Lynx decided not to wear them in Dallas.
http://www.courant.com/sports/baske...x-maya-moore-jerseys-0713-20160712-story.html

So its ok for the basketball players to advertise their support but it is not ok for the cops to be offended...especially since this whole 'nonviolent' thing is quite debatable.

i wonder if any search warrants have been executed in this case... anyone know how to find that out? did the justice department take over this case also?

So its ok for the basketball players to advertise their support but it is not ok for the cops to be offended...especially since this whole 'nonviolent' thing is quite debatable.

Remember how we have Martin Luther King day now and people honor him? It might be of interest to look at what those times were like. The lychings, the sit downs, the school integration, the sitting af the lunch counter, the walking instead of bus riding, the fire bombing of MLK's house, his time in prison, the murders of Civil Rights workers, the attacks on marchers with dogs and hoses, the FBI infiltrations and on and on.

The shirts worn by the players had honor to Dallas police on them. Since it was announced that the Lynx would wear these shirts, it certainly was no surprise to anyone. The head of the police union has many questionable racist issues if you google him.

i wonder if any search warrants have been executed in this case... anyone know how to find that out? did the justice department take over this case also?

You know drjones, I thought DOJ was involved but now I'm not finding that. It looks like at this point the state is investigating? This article was published about 2 hours ago.

"Minnesota's Bureau of Criminal Apprehension is investigating the case."

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/philando-castiles-family-reveals-his-gun-permit/

A search warrant was issued for the stores security system.
Deleted post. Wrong thread.

These are not those times but folks do like to link them...I wonder, during those marches did the protesters throw crap at the cops, drop cement blocks on them? And who exactly is your equivalent of MLK because I am not seeing it.

This is the result of the out of control protesters, the threats and outright murder of cops. Cops have the right to turn down these gigs and if they do looks like a whole lot of private security firms are going to get jobs.

The racism is going both ways these days...but that cannot be said at all, very politically incorrect but true...

On another related event. MN police officers working the Lynx game walked out over player comments and warm-up jerseys.
http://www.startribune.com/minneapo...er-player-comments-warm-up-jerseys/386373171/

THEN, the Lynx decided not to wear them in Dallas.
http://www.courant.com/sports/baske...x-maya-moore-jerseys-0713-20160712-story.html
According to the teams websight the Saturday nights game was a home game against Dallas. The Tuesday night game was an away game against San Antonio.
I understand the officers feelings in this, but I do think they were wrong to walk off. Thier job that night was security at the event, not just the team.
I also feel it was in very poor judgement for the girls to choose a game against Dallas to start wearing the shirts.
I think the girls need to realize not everyone is going to interpret the shirt the same way.
Just because they held a news conference about the shirts don't mean any of the officers knew about it before showing for thier duty.
I do wonder if thier was any dialogue from either side trying to resolve this before the game.

I don't think this article was previously posted. It contains some interesting comments by various family members. Don't hesitate to read the entire article.

Philando Castile’s Last Night: Tacos and Laughs, Then a Drive
The New York Times
By MITCH SMITH JULY 12, 2016

“MINNEAPOLIS — Philando Castile had just finished getting his hair styled last Wednesday when he called his sister, Allysza, and offered to deliver dinner to the suburban house she shares with their mother.

Over a meal of Taco Bell takeout, the two siblings alternated between laughter and serious discussions, including about the fatal shooting of Alton Sterling by the police in Louisiana.

“We talked about all this stuff: ‘Did you see that video on Facebook of the man getting killed?’” Ms. Castile recalled in an interview Tuesday. “I said, ‘No, I didn’t watch it, bro. I refuse to watch another video.’”

After a while, Mr. Castile left, and his sister fell asleep. Her brother had apparently gone back to his apartment in St. Paul to pick up his girlfriend, and then shopped at a grocery store. Before he made it home, two St. Anthony police officers saw him driving a wide-bodied Oldsmobile and pulled him over on Larpenteur Avenue near the state fairgrounds in the tiny, majority-white suburb of Falcon Heights.

“When I woke up from my nap,” Ms. Castile said through tears, “all hell had been broken out.”​

Much much more

It would seem the family disagrees with Lavish's insistence that the gun wasn't visible. I'll be so glad when the truth is out.

"Once Mr. Castile was pulled over last week, the family believes, the officer saw a gun, panicked and shot him unjustly. Minnesota law bars the authorities from confirming whether someone has a permit to carry a weapon, but Mr. Castile’s mother and sister both said he did."

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/07/13/us/philando-castile-minnesota-police-shooting.html

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Protocol136