MN - Philando Castile, 32, shot by police officer, 6 July 2016 #1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey, I have no problem the cop wanted to check out PC as a possible robbery suspect. Please let than sink in.

The cop approached the situation wrong, wrong, wrong. You don't 'walk' into that situation alone as a cop. He did. He then saw a weapon and did not wait long enough to hear it was legal. A bad choice that cost a decent man his life.

To repeat - it ain't OK. So if you can't drive to a mall afterwards without a lot of protesters in your way - don't blame the protesters. Jmo.

Suspect the situation in the US will only get worse before it gets better. Sad and unnecessary. That group hug from coast to cost would be awesome.

You dont know if he approached it wrong, it is not established by the facts we have. He didn't walk into the situation alone, this is incorrect. You dont know how long he waited for anything, or how many orders he gave...

You dont know if he approached it wrong, it is not established by the facts we have. He didn't walk into the situation alone, this is incorrect. You dont know how long he waited for anything, or how many orders he gave...

I will add that we know nothing of PC's and his girlfriend's actions leading up to the shooting, except for the girlfriend's words and it has already been proven her words can't be taken as fact IMO.

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/nat...tile-shooting-performed-cpr-article-1.2709864

Regarding the Star Tribune article, the BLM demonstration and the 'Days of Rage' protests:

http://www.startribune.com/blm-st-p...e-shopping-center-sunday-afternoon/386891321/

“Black Lives Matter St. Paul plans to demonstrate at the Rosedale shopping center on Sunday ...”

“The 1 p.m. demonstration will be held at an undisclosed location inside the mall, so authorities won’t be able to fully prepare for it, organizers said.”

“Activists warned those planning to attend the protest not to bring signs, just their voices.”​

In the same article, and requires careful reading:

“A vague ‘Day of Rage’

On Friday, at least 36 U.S. cities are expected to participate in a so-called “Day of Rage,” meant for citizens to stand up to “corrupted authority” and police brutality, according to the international activist hacker group Anonymous Legion.

“Local Black Lives Matter activists also said Thursday night that they knew nothing about the “Day of Rage” event.”​

Personally, I have never been that impressed with the Anonymous people. They strike me as sneaky cowards. But, my own personal feelings aside, the article seems to state that at least for the coming few days, there is no connection between BLM and the Anonymous event.

OK - try this - already posted.

“A felony stop involves bringing the suspect out at gunpoint while officers are in a position of cover and having them lie on the ground until they can identify who that individual is,” he said.

http://www.startribune.com/police-a...ndo-castile-on-robbery-suspicion/386344001/#1

And in the same article -

With regard to the audio, Goins said, “I can’t imagine that it’s reasonable suspicion to make a stop because somebody had a broad nose.”

So yes, I know that he did walk into the situation alone - back up did follow or was possibly present. No mention yet on what that officer saw or did not see. The first officer did not order PC out of his vehicle - he simply shot first.

It's not OK.

Go watch the clip that was posted---which is what I responded to. Then come back and tell me where to dogs, water hoses, batons and fire bombing were that black people were using to get the right to sit at THAT lunch counter. I missed that in the clip.

Um, the blacks did not do that. The police did that to the blacks.

I'm not sure why you seem to be dancing around the issue, I stated it as plainly as possible already;

Are you claiming that the officer did not do a felony stop? Are you claiming that he was required to do so? If so, what exact reason did the officer give for not doing so?

If you can't respond directly to those questions then I will not reply again.

Chuckles if I may - she said the officer that shot PC did not attempt to perform CPR - the officers that arrived later did. Point is?

My point

Reynolds, whose 4-year-old daughter was in the backseat when cops killed Castile, said she was taken to a police station after the 9 a.m. shooting and held until 5 a.m.

She was separated from her daughter, was denied food and water and was “treated like a prisoner,” she said a day later.

Mathwig disputed those allegations, too.

Reynolds was held for just two hours, not eight, he insisted. She was never kept in a prison cell, but rather was questioned in a room police call a “soft interview room.” The area gets its name because it has toys and books for children and blankets to comfort distraught witnesses.

When Reynolds said her daughter hadn’t eaten all day and the family’s groceries were in the car where Castile had been shot, one cop pulled out his wallet, Mathwig said.

FYI: The car was approached by two officers.

http://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news...astile-was-robbery-suspect-tapes-show-n607856

"While Yanez approached Castile's car from the driver's side, a second officer, Joseph Kauser, stood on the passenger's side."

And what was the protocol if both officers thought this was a possible robbery suspect? Ordering PC out of the car didn't happen - he was just shot.

Imo, both officers are responsible for this death then. It's not OK.

My point

Reynolds, whose 4-year-old daughter was in the backseat when cops killed Castile, said she was taken to a police station after the 9 a.m. shooting and held until 5 a.m.

She was separated from her daughter, was denied food and water and was “treated like a prisoner,” she said a day later.

Mathwig disputed those allegations, too.

Reynolds was held for just two hours, not eight, he insisted. She was never kept in a prison cell, but rather was questioned in a room police call a “soft interview room.” The area gets its name because it has toys and books for children and blankets to comfort distraught witnesses.

When Reynolds said her daughter hadn’t eaten all day and the family’s groceries were in the car where Castile had been shot, one cop pulled out his wallet, Mathwig said.

With all due respect - how do you know who is correct? How does this change the death of PC?

http://nypost.com/2016/07/14/defens...tay-away-from-white-house-during-day-of-rage/

The video makes it clear that the hacker group has “launched attacks” on the “virtual infrastructure” of the police departments involved in the Sterling and Castile shootings.

“To the St. Anthony and Baton Rouge police departments, we have already launched attacks on your virtual infrastructure,” the voiceover warns. “We are prepared to release every single piece of evidence that will expose your corruption and blatant disregard for human life.”

http://www.military.com/daily-news/...roops-to-stay-away-from-rumored-rage-day.html

With all due respect - how do you know who is correct? How does this change the death of PC?

I seriously doubt LE would dispute her claims publicly without proof to back it up. Only time will tell. Until then I'm not basing my opinion on what happened or if the shooting was justified (or not) on her description of events. Especially since she herself has contradicted some of her own statements. Half of the arguments thrown out here are based on her statements as if they are confirmed facts, which at this time they are not.

The sad truth is that PC is gone and we could argue till the cows come home but we can't bring him back. We can learn from his death though and hopefully take steps to reduce the likelihood of this happening to someone else. We need facts before we can honestly and fairly judge the motivation behind the shooting, anything else is just opinionated speculation spoken as fact. I'll be one of the first to condemn the officer if the facts point to his guilt.

:peace:

Chuckles if I may - she said the officer that shot PC did not attempt to perform CPR - the officers that arrived later did. Point is?

He didn't die instantly as we saw on the video. She apparently doesn't know that you don't do CPR on people who are still alive but I guess she thought that would sound good in her account--- along with her account of how she was treated at the PD.

What? You don't do CPR on people who are alive?

What? You don't do CPR on people who are alive?

Heck no. Any high school student who has had a first aid class knows that.
ETA: You can actually kill someone if you start doing chest compressions on them if they have a beating heart by interrupting their rhythm.

ETA: You can actually kill someone if you start doing chest compressions on them if they have a beating heart by interrupting their rhythm.

Uh, speaking as a nurse, you absolutely do CPR on people while they're alive.

http://heart.arizona.edu/frequently-asked-questions

perform CPR while it is beating?

The physicians and scientists at the Sarver Heart Center, have found that the old saying "Never perform CPR on beating heart" is not valid. According to these professionals, the chances that a bystander could harm a person by pressing on their chest are slim to none, even if the heart is working normally. Therefore, they recommend following the "Better safe than sorry" approach and begin chest compressions. It is better to perform a few unnecessary chest compressions for someone with a beating heart, rather than withhold chest compressions and circulation from someone in cardiac arrest.

Why don’t you check for a pulse?

We do NOT recommend that lay public rescuers waste time trying to assess for a palpable pulse. During Dr. Kern’s tenure as AHA National ACLS Chairman, the AHA came to the same conclusion. Public lay rescuers cannot reliably detect the absence of a pulse in a timely fashion, hence in the 2000 and 2005 AHA CPR Guidelines (Circulation 2005; 112(24): IV-3), this requirement was removed.

Studies have also shown that even if a person manages to locate the correct spot for detecting a pulse, there is a high chance that the pulse they may detect is their own, especially considering heightened stress levels in such situations. Rather than wasting time trying to detect a pulse that may or may not be the victim's own pulse, it is better to get perfusion to the brain by continuous chest compressions.

The correct response to a witnessed cardiac arrest is to:

Check for responsiveness (shake and shout).
IF NO RESPONSE, call for help ("911") or ask someone else to call.
Begin uninterrupted forceful continuous chest compressions immediately.
Call for an AED if one is nearby and available.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
buggy8993