LA ‘Blue Lives Matter bill’ Goes Into Effect Today in Louisiana

August 1, 2016
10:37 am

Powerful Mural Honors Slain Dallas Police Officers

Good News

A mural honoring the Dallas police officers killed in an ambush last month was unveiled Sunday.

Artist Scott LoBaido created the mural called "The Thin Blue Line” that’s painted on a wall along 3rd Avenue near Fair Park.

It depicts a black and white American flag, with a thin blue stripe underneath the stars.

On top of the mural, there are five empty blue chairs that represent the fallen officers.

http://insider.foxnews.com/2016/08/01/mural-honors-slain-dallas-police-officers-see-powerful-photos

--------------------------

I hope it is okay to post this here, I couldn't find an open link for Dallas Police. If this needs to be removed or deleted please feel free to do so.

Thank You

Does this not already exist - in the form of first degree murder or first degree assault where LE are the victims? Were EMS not previously included? Imo, at first sight, this seems to be a reaction to the latest shootings of LE in various cities - where the perp claims retaliation for LE killing minorities that were unarmed.

LE needed another law or higher protection? Maybe first responders needed to be included? Like I said, the law seems to already exist. Is this addressing the core problem? Might be, but not seeing that at the moment. Will this fix all the problems LE has right now with the public? Will charging someone under this law bring a higher sentence? What is higher than the death penalty - which seems to be part and parcel of killing a law enforcement officer?

Fwiw, not seeing how this will prevent targeting LE in the future. Everyone knows the penalties imo.

Does this not already exist - in the form of first degree murder or first degree assault where LE are the victims? Were EMS not previously included? Imo, at first sight, this seems to be a reaction to the latest shootings of LE in various cities - where the perp claims retaliation for LE killing minorities that were unarmed.

LE needed another law or higher protection? Maybe first responders needed to be included? Like I said, the law seems to already exist. Is this addressing the core problem? Might be, but not seeing that at the moment. Will this fix all the problems LE has right now with the public? Will charging someone under this law bring a higher sentence? What is higher than the death penalty - which seems to be part and parcel of killing a law enforcement officer?

Fwiw, not seeing how this will prevent targeting LE in the future. Everyone knows the penalties imo.

You might be interested in this:

Opinion: Fair weather federalism and the Blue Lives Matter Act

Especially "II. Why the Act is Unconstitutional"
Quite simply, Congress does not have the authority to criminalize essentially local violent crime committed against police officers (or anyone else). The most likely source of potential federal authority is the Commerce Clause, which gives Congress the power to regulate interstate commerce. Defenders of the Blue Lives Matter Act might argue that this authorizes the legislation, because crimes against police have effects on commerce.

Much more at the link. An opinion piece but contains a lot of factual information. It makes for fascinating reading.

ETA: The article addresses federal law.

How about providing resources such as shorter shifts, mental health activities every shift to decompress, more LE so they can police a smaller area and get to know the neighborhood, more training on desecalation. That kind of thing.

How about providing resources such as shorter shifts, mental health activities every shift to decompress, more LE so they can police a smaller area and get to know the neighborhood, more training on desecalation. That kind of thing.

Imo, this sounds like the tab would be more than taxpayers could afford - would it end there if that route were taken? Free meals, drivers to take them to and from work, subsidized daycare - making the pedestal ever higher? Would a better choice of those that are given a badge be a better solution all around?

BBM, that's exactly what this is. People that target cops in attacks/assualts/shootings are not planning to live to see their sentencing in court so the law is not really going to prevent anything. Pointless law IMO.

If they're going to expand the hate crime statute, then they should make it a hate crime to target people because of their occupation rather than limit the language to law enforcement, firefighters, and EMS.

Imo, this sounds like the tab would be more than taxpayers could afford - would it end there if that route were taken? Free meals, drivers to take them to and from work, subsidized daycare - making the pedestal ever higher? Would a better choice of those that are given a badge be a better solution all around?

BBM, yes of course it would be a better choice, however that would involve LE admitting that they have a problem with how they recruit and hire. Recognizing and admitting to problems is not a strong point for LE in this country IMO.

I dislike the wording on all of the "lives matter" Black , Blue , All Etc., how about "we all matter" or just simply " don't kill others"

All of that! And higher wages. Better retirement packages. Education benefits. More paid vacation. I don't know what kind of benefits they get now, but I think improving them would be a great way to recruit officers.

I for one am fine with higher taxes if the money is put to good use. There are plenty of areas that could use some trimming coughdefensecough.

I dislike the wording on all of the "lives matter" Black , Blue , All Etc., how about "we all matter" or just simply " don't kill others"

This is how I am feeling about this legislation. Where will it stop? If someone on the street tries to hurt or kill me I would hope that person would be prosecuted just as severely as they would if they attacked or killed ANYONE else.

It almost seems as if the laws and legislation were not severe enough to begin with if people feel they need special laws to make sure people are prosecuted if they get attacked or killed. .

Even with the hate crime laws that got inacted. I am glad they are there but it almost seems like we must have been just letting people go with a slap on the wrist if they attacked someone from the gay community as to why they needed special laws to begin with.

Its sad that new legislation was even needed in the first place for any of this. How about just prosecuting people to the fullest when they commit violent crimes against ANYONE.

I agree "We all matter" is a great idea, but the problem is not everyone does.

The official name of it is "Blue Lives Matter"?

That seems kind of 'incendiary' given the climate you've all got going on...

The official name of it is "Blue Lives Matter"?

That seems kind of 'incendiary' given the climate you've all got going on...

It has unofficially been coined the 'Blue Lives Matter' bill. There isn't any language in the bill that states 'blue lives matter'.

Glad to see the initial efforts to increase the penalties for intentional targeting of LE, EMS, and firefighters. Hopefully this catches on in other states in a massive way.

IMO, special circumstances is not enough. The penalty for ambushing LE and other first responders should be quite severe, and as extreme as the law allows. I'd be just fine with the DP for all intentionally targeted/ ambushed LE/ EMS/ firefighters. No excuses, no mercy. Build more prisons if necessary.

It has unofficially been coined the 'Blue Lives Matter' bill. There isn't any language in the bill that states 'blue lives matter'.

Not in Louisiana, but the bill in Congress is the "Blue Lives Matter Act of 2016."

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
branditau.wareham72@gmail
Back