Australia - Tiahleigh Palmer, 12, slain, Pimpama River, Qld, 30 Oct 2015 #2 *Arrests*

Status
Not open for further replies.
If the only ones responsible for what happened to Tiahleigh be the criminals why would you agree that the case worker/workers be publicly shamed and be answerable for their actions.

Cindy has made errors which have been quickly and duly forgiven, so why can't the same forgiveness be given for the errors of the caseworkers, who I believe would be doing the best job possible with the resources they have. The department is probably understaffed, they're most likely overworked and yet are expected to get everything right. They probably have many cases similar to this which don't end up with a similar result. If they really thought something like this was going to happen do you not think they would have acted differently.

May best to blame the head of the department and the government for not providing the necessary resources rather than publicly name & shame the workers.

agreed

If the only ones responsible for what happened to Tiahleigh be the criminals why would you agree that the case worker/workers be publicly shamed and be answerable for their actions.

Cindy has made errors which have been quickly and duly forgiven, so why can't the same forgiveness be given for the errors of the caseworkers, who I believe would be doing the best job possible with the resources they have. The department is probably understaffed, they're most likely overworked and yet are expected to get everything right. They probably have many cases similar to this which don't end up with a similar result. If they really thought something like this was going to happen do you not think they would have acted differently.

May best to blame the head of the department and the government for not providing the necessary resources rather than publicly name & shame the workers.

John, I do agree with you. I also think as a caseworker your number one duty is to the child you are supposed to be supporting. Follow up on reports. There is no point in doing the job at all if you are not following up, whether you think it is a waste of time or not. Better to help one properly than just play with paperwork for twenty or more. No one in their position has the right to say a child is just lying when they don't have all the facts. I know hindsight is a wonderful thing and I am sure the case worker/workers wished they had of handled it better. Unfortunately the bottom line is they didn't and they should have. Their job is to support and they didn't.

I sure would like to know why they thought saying the child was a liar was acceptable. Others need to know also so that train of thought doesn't happen again or is even considered to be an acceptable answer to a situation
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

At present the family are not allowed to visit I read. Lawyers only at this stage.

well. I like it!... and they most likely wouldn't be allowed to speak to each other..Rick and Trent, that is... even though Dad has just come back from the dead... I am still unsure whether the no family visit is Rick and Trent s idea, or the police.. at this stage.. it certainly would suit police purposes to a certain extent, but on the other hand, a familial visit in prison might shed some light on the process of the crime.. .. ...

I disagree, vehemently, adamantly... at least two case workers have been criminally negligent here.. the one who put Tia in a house with 3 unoccupied grown adult men, and the one who claimed Tia was a liar and always running away without enquiring into first causes..

those case workers have no place in this organisation. best they go and get work where negligence and arrogance don't leave vulnerable children at the mercy of murderers.. they can be baristers, , or check out chicks, something that doesn't carry the responsibility inherent in this job.

well. I like it!... and they most likely wouldn't be allowed to speak to each other..Rick and Trent, that is... even though Dad has just come back from the dead... I am still unsure whether the no family visit is Rick and Trent s idea, or the police.. at this stage.. it certainly would suit police purposes to a certain extent, but on the other hand, a familial visit in prison might shed some light on the process of the crime.. .. ...
Rick Thorburn was said to have been panicked at the idea that his son, a young bisexual dancer, could end up in prison, where he believed he would be targeted by fellow inmates.
http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/la...e/news-story/e8aaf41e44088ac4b58c5af18b163846

ABSOLUTELY GUTLESS REASON TO TRY TO CHECK OUT!

I disagree, vehemently, adamantly... at least two case workers have been criminally negligent here.. the one who put Tia in a house with 3 unoccupied grown adult men, and the one who claimed Tia was a liar and always running away without enquiring into first causes..

those case workers have no place in this organisation. best they go and get work where negligence and arrogance don't leave vulnerable children at the mercy of murderers.. they can be baristers, , or check out chicks, something that doesn't carry the responsibility inherent in this job.

I still look to their superiors and processes. That's where the cancer begins.

And I am sure that one of the senior Thornburns was well versed in the processes and the gaps in said processes, which is why we are here tonight, and Tia isn't.

Cant you see that they were manipulated?

Sorry I disagree. I don't want that kind of peoplemaking my morning coffee.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Cant you see that they were manipulated?

no.. I cant.. .. .. if you mean they would have been leant on from further up the food chain, it was up to them to resist and report such manipulation .. you know, it has to start somewhere.. no..... this was a childs life. They may not have realised that a child was in danger, but it was plain the child was in persistent distress, .. and as for the one who thought the Thorburns were right for Tia, she /he has to go today, that was simply negligent to a criminal degree. No one could be , can be that stupid and hold that position in Family Services.. a 12 yr old girl in a family with 3 adult males around all day.. no. no. no.

I hope what happened to the Brett Cowan and all the other horror stories you hear happen to pedos in jail is swimming round in their sick little minds right now. Jail life must be petrifying

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It is even better knowing that SEQ is mini NZ. So many inside would be wanting a piece of the alpaca. Don't forget Cyndi was inside, so it really makes it personal.

That minister needs a slap down as well. It's all smoke and mirrors. Dust out hetty and have a look at blue cards and carer approvals.

Notice there is no talk of changing any legislation. Let alone an enquiry. It's still being covered up and everyone thinks heads will roll because hettys on another bloody committee

What do you guys know about, I think it was called the heiner affair or something.

Excuse the awful sentence

Seriously. It starts with the government and then flows through to management and how they want to manage their business.

What are the outcomes you're after?

I bet 'no dead kids' is not one of their KPI's.

It will be around volume of cases dealt with, turn around times and some sort of client satisfaction score.

None of the above protects the vulnerable, it just makes for a great powerpoint.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

no.. I cant.. .. .. if you mean they would have been leant on from further up the food chain, it was up to them to resist and report such manipulation .. you know, it has to start somewhere.. no..... this was a childs life. They may not have realised that a child was in danger, but it was plain the child was in persistent distress, .. and as for the one who thought the Thorburns were right for Tia, she /he has to go today, that was simply negligent to a criminal degree. No one could be , can be that stupid and hold that position in Family Services.. a 12 yr old girl in a family with 3 adult males around all day.. no. no. no.

That whole Browns Plains office must have been full of em. Thats all it takes, one office to be toxic. Bully out the good staff till there are only scoundrels covering each others arses.

Hi All - I've finally caught up with all you speedy sleuthers - thankyou.

I been mulling it all over and 2 main issues have struck me:

First is the terminology issue. I too, like others, was appalled by the use of the terminology in charges that seemed to diminish the heinous treatment of Tiahleigh. However, I've come to accept that it is legal terminology which, for better or worse, has been judged as "appropriate" for the moment. Personally, I see it as rape of a pubescent child - but, how I see it is not important. I have faith that the QLD police will throw the most serious charges with the most serious consequences at the perpetrators.

Second is the eternal issue of foster care. I can't see a solution. As we know, child-abusers come in all types - youth group leaders, ministers of religion, teachers, the friendly neighbour next door, or even the father of the kids your kids play with. All blue cards can do is say that the holder has not been caught yet. I can't for the life of me think of a sufficiently thorough way of assessing potential youth workers or foster carers. I've had some contact with DOCS in another state. I was an unofficial "big sister" to a young woman with 3 kids,each with a different foster carer. I became a DOCS contact person for her. My experience with the DOCS system was poor. The workers individually seemed fine as people doing a very difficult job with a challenging mother/client. However, overall the approach was inexperienced, uninformed, inconsistent, and lacked planning and coordination.

I've also had insider reports that DOCS QLD also has a reputation of buck passing and blaming instead of problem solving - probably much like other government departments.

Thanks for your thoughts & insight Bobbie. Sadly, the very limited experience I have had with DOCS Qld has left me with a feeling of total inadequacy. I am in no way wanting to pass judgement upon the 'individuals' doing their job in who knows what circumstances or what resources available really.

i just continue to think of a troubled 8 year old, shunted from here to there, who would have really benefited from the correct counselling at an age where it could have made such a difference. But no matter the pleading and the promises from FM ... Oh, now she is being transferred to a different case worker, oh now she is going to be under a different district ... bla bla

IMO, it is the very fundamental aspects that need to be examined with regard to our Child Care - as everyone knows, the structure will fall down if the foundations aren't solid.

I do hope & pray the 'investigation' (in Tiahleigh's honour) will bring about a whole new 'values based' structure based on genuine morals, as opposed to a Government budget and loose-lipped rhetoric!

Does anyone know what kind of qualifications those people that work in child protective services have? Are they even qualified to work with children in these types of situations where children have come from abuse & neglect in their homes, and then need placement in more loving and healthy environments? Are they qualified child psychologists to give those poor children ongoing therapy because of the issues they have etc.? I mean who actually determines what those children really need?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aztraea