JonBenet's Skull Fractures: The Weapon

Was there maybe a HAMMER in that bucket? And yes, I know her injury doesn't look like a hammer to the skull, but maybe the side of a hammer or some other tool?
Anything that might be used in replacing the water heater (tools, supplies, etc.) could have been in the bucket. We can't see it well because of the lighting, but anything that might have been used, could have been there or lying on the floor in that area. And yes, I imagine that would include some sort of hammer.

The baseball bat found outside was said to have a blonde hair on it.

I wonder if perhaps she could have been hit with the bat, but more towards the handle end of it, resulting in the smaller wound pattern.

Thanks for the great work as always, otg!

Question. I've read through this thread before so please forgive me if this has been asked and I've forgotten. Burke said in his interview with the child psychologist that Jonbenet was hit in the head with a hammer. Could she have been hit with a hammer? They make them in different shapes and sizes. I've even seen some with covers that could cushion a blow and perhaps protect skin from breaking if a person were hit. The basement would be the type of place to find a hammer if perhaps both kids were down there playing and an argument broke out.

Sent from my XT830C using Tapatalk
If you can find a hammer with a cylindrical head that has a diameter of somewhere between 1/2" to 1", then I would say it's possible. That possibility was discussed somewhere earlier in this thread, but I don't think anyone came up with one that would match that size and shape.

As a side note, I need to go back and look at the Burke tapes and see exactly what he said about that. Seems like he said something to the effect of, "Someone took a knife and quietly took her down to the basement and (hand gesture)... with a hammer or something." I can't get to it now, so if someone else wants to dig through them...

Thanks otg.

I will have a read of that.

BTW I don't know if you have seen this and ruled it out. In the 1998 interview of Patsy Ramsey they are showing her photos and asking her to say if there is anything out of place etc.. Anyway, one of the photos she says something like 'ooh what is that, I don't know what that is' and someone says it's something to do with the garden or lawn sprinkler. I did think they were talking about that rod.

Bit weird they found the flashlight on the kitchen table. Why not put it in the drawers or remove it along with the rope and the tape.If it was staged, maybe it was meant to draw away attention, as far fedged as that may be.
Now that we know this family used a flashlight in the middle of the night to navigate through the house instead of just turning on lights, its location isn't weird no matter who placed it there. I'd like to know how long they were doing this. Its potentially another layer of dysfunction being ignored just because the flashlight has been placed on front street as the murder weapon.

Like otg and a few others, I think its highly unlikely the flashlight is the murder weapon. Its been labeled that to wrap it up all nice and neat in a simplistic manner.

The baseball bat found outside was said to have a blonde hair on it.

I wonder if perhaps she could have been hit with the bat, but more towards the handle end of it, resulting in the smaller wound pattern.

Thanks for the great work as always, otg!

It was a golf club that had a blonde hair attached to it and it was found on the north side of the house. Nothing has ever been said if it was JonBenet's or any prints on the club.

Regarding the abrasions found on JBR, check out marker 0:16, can anyone measure the distance between the two ends of that thing? I recall seeing that thing in the boiler room *(?)? This walk-through video from Paula Woodward was published on August 10, 2016. There are 3 more videos in the media link.

[video=youtube;t9GtZcVVWCc]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t9GtZcVVWCc[/video]

-Nin

* Not sure, if it was in the boiler room, but it was in the basement

heya otg, bringing this over here

PR says in one of her LE interviews that she stored sone of the pageant trophies in the train room.
Is it possible she was hit with one of those?

From otg post page 35:

I was more than disappointed when I saw that Spitz was going to be involved in this project. I had such high hopes for it (and still do to a certain extent). But Spitz's misinformation has (and probably will) derail any meaningful discovery on the actual weapon used as a bludgeon. His statements from March, 2000 (link), and the above sketch are just wrong. I know Meyer described his visual impression of the depressed fracture as "rectangular," but the autopsy photo that was later leaked shows that it is actually an ellipse:

He also said the the above linked interview about the depressed fracture: "That piece of bone that was knocked out, remained attached on a hinge,and was bendable." (Does he know what the word "comminuted" means?)

Thank you for this post, otg.... After following this case for years, and repeatedly hearing the skull fracture described as being rectangular shaped, I had never questioned that. Even seeing the photos of JBR skull - it has always looked like a rectangular shape to me. However, after reading your explanation and looking more closely, I can now see the oval shape that you describe. In other photos it shows some material that veiled the left corner under a flap of mucus or tissue. This shocks me. To have looked at something so many times and never seeing that small bit that was hidden. Thank you for sharing this. I can easily see now how a pipe could cause that injury.

This is from the 3rd post on this thread, SBM, in case there are other readers like myself, who only read the most recent pages! Thanks otg for all your research, so patiently laid out for us...

So to sum up all of what is shown in the enlarged photo of the depressed fracture, let me state the following (and it is my opinion): The depressed fracture is almost a perfect oval, and in the only photo we have access to, it is covered in the posterior one-third with a layer of pericranial membrane which was left attached to the skull when the posterior scalp reflection was done by Dr. Meyer. (One more thing here that I feel compelled to note... I have to say that after seeing the work done by other physicians on scalp reflection, the coroner in JonBenet’s autopsy is about the sloppiest butcher I can imagine. I’ll add this to my list of failures on his part.)
2nu7pza.jpg

The darkened areas in this part of the photo:
2drrlmv.jpg
are hemorrhagic tissue -- not missing fragments of skull on the edge of the fracture as evidenced by the glistening light circled in the following photo (If the dark area is missing skull, there should be nothing there to reflect the light.):
4j2u0.jpg

There is one fragmented edge on the right anterior edge of the depressed fracture.
2noopd.jpg

I believe this to be simply incidental and not related to the shape of the weapon that caused the fracture. It could have been a weaker spot in the skull, or it could have been a small spot in the surface of her skull that was slightly higher than the area around it causing it to see more impact from the weapon.

(rsbm)
Thank you for this post, otg.... After following this case for years, and repeatedly hearing the skull fracture described as being rectangular shaped, I had never questioned that. Even seeing the photos of JBR skull - it has always looked like a rectangular shape to me. However, after reading your explanation and looking more closely, I can now see the oval shape that you describe. In other photos it shows some material that veiled the left corner under a flap of mucus or tissue. This shocks me. To have looked at something so many times and never seeing that small bit that was hidden. Thank you for sharing this. I can easily see now how a pipe could cause that injury.
Hopefully, you saw the post on the "CBS" thread showing the difference between Spitz's sketch of the fractures and the sketch made of the actual autopsy photo. I can't believe it's so difficult for anyone else to see the difference. The bruised membrane is the pericranium (or periosteum) and the edge shown in the autopsy photos is where her scalp was cut to allow it to be peeled back exposing the skull. Since it is semi-transparent, the back portion being left over the depressed fracture made the "hole" look different. Dr. Meyer has to know this now, but of course he does not comment publicly and he's now retired from the coroner position.

(rsbm)
Hopefully, you saw the post on the "CBS" thread showing the difference between Spitz's sketch of the fractures and the sketch made of the actual autopsy photo. I can't believe it's so difficult for anyone else to see the difference. The bruised membrane is the pericranium (or periosteum) and the edge shown in the autopsy photos is where her scalp was cut to allow it to be peeled back exposing the skull. Since it is semi-transparent, the back portion being left over the depressed fracture made the "hole" look different. Dr. Meyer has to know this now, but of course he does not comment publicly and he's now retired from the coroner position.

I did see that, which led me back to look at the first pages of this thread to hopefully see more photos, and boy oh man was I rewarded with Photos, and your detailed account of the shape of the head wound. Better late than never, is my motto! I so appreciate your posts :).

On the walk-through video of the R's basement, shown on the A&E presentation this evening, they showed the shower with a head on a hose, I think. I wish I'd been paying closer attention. I'm thinking it could be the correct shape to cause an oval head wound? If it was decent quality, could it cause the head wound without it breaking?

Anything that might be used in replacing the water heater (tools, supplies, etc.) could have been in the bucket. We can't see it well because of the lighting, but anything that might have been used, could have been there or lying on the floor in that area. And yes, I imagine that would include some sort of hammer.
Okay so Burke demonstrated what he thought happened. I think its really what happened and what he described are very similar. I could see a type of hammer causing the damage or a pipe. That's the first picture I've seen of the pipes.(excuse me while I enjoy another beer and rest for the night. I will promise to continue this tomorrow! We had a recovery of a child and that's something to celebrate! Thank you for responding!Always enjoy reading your insights!:tyou:

A flashlight seems pretty good at making a nicely curved break ...

attachment.php

Attachments

• jbsmash.PNG
    jbsmash.PNG
    323.3 KB · Views: 327
I wonder why they didn't fill the skull with ballistic gel....it would have been a more accurate representation of an actual human skull with a brain inside it.

This isn't exactly the same thing but it shows the basic idea of why you end up with a curved skull crack when an object with a rectangular profile smashes through a domed object, like a skull. It certainly shows why one should not expect a perfect rectangular shaped hole to be left in the skull.

[video=youtube;He_BtW9OQ8M]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=He_BtW9OQ8M[/video]

A few more images helping to convey why one should not expect a perfect rectangular shaped hole in the skull.

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• pipeinsphere.PNG
    pipeinsphere.PNG
    540.7 KB · Views: 321
  • pipeinsphere2.PNG
    pipeinsphere2.PNG
    103.2 KB · Views: 316

Members online

Online statistics

Members online