GUILTY Canada - Shannon Burgess, 25, Calgary, 26 Nov 2014 - #4 *Arrest*

That was me, and I questioned if that was the first time it's been reported in MSM that she had been found buried in the yard.. I know we saw photos of what I had presumed to be the yard *after* police had finished digging it up, and even after finding her body, they were still digging up parts of her yard.. but i don't believe police had ever said, or MSM had ever reported, that she had been found buried until this recent news report.

I had to almost laugh when i read the post just above.... can you imagine if JB had buried her in the *neighbour's* yard?? It does look like that is a possibility though, from at least one of the photos.. can you imagine having one of your neighbours digging up YOUR yard, nevermind at some point near or after hearing about the disappeared woman who lived next door.. and not reporting it?? Or not noticing??

This is where it was (finally) reported that she had been found buried on the property as opposed to just found concealed at the residence:

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgary/josh-burgess-shannon-madill-murder-trial-1.3796536

Here are the pics showing what looks like digging into the neighbour's yard:

Thank you for bringing forward the photos!

Look at the neighbour's small window right at ground level. Who would have the nerve to bury a body on the neighbour's property right in front of their window? Anyone could have been watching him from inside, either there or from above (Unless perhaps they were neighbours who jb knew had gone away??)

Who dug up those large pieces of concrete and which location were they from?

I think all of the threads on WS are antagonistic and also have illogical discussions.. when you get lots of people floating around ideas, it's bound to happen.. if everyone can try to be respectful of one anothers' theories/ideas and try to keep open minds at least until the mysteries are solved, sometimes some ideas can be generated that help sleuth the cases. It's a little tough sometimes to toe the line on here when we can't sleuth victim family members and loved ones, even though they often end up being the ones responsible!

So very bold!
The digging could not have been easy if the ground was frozen, and the alleged perp. perhaps not very strong, speculation.
How come nobody seemed to notice a man whose wife was missing, suddenly digging up the yard?
Could he have hidden SM in a container in the house and moved her later to the yard?
Cannot recall if there was any further info. about possible tampering with Shannon's car brakes?
speculation, imo.

I didn't read anything about tampered brakes, but I remember discussing that if the brakes had given out during the trip from Calgary to Edmonton, it would likely have been a fatal accident.

Her husband's behaviour from the beginning was off - particularly his avoidance in speaking with her family when they realized that she was missing.

I didn't read anything about tampered brakes, but I remember discussing that if the brakes had given out during the trip from Calgary to Edmonton, it would likely have been a fatal accident.

Her husband's behaviour from the beginning was off - particularly his avoidance in speaking with her family when they realized that she was missing.

It never ceases to amaze me when the families seem to not suspect the most obvious conclusion, until charges are laid, but then I've never personally been in that situation.. it must be terribly difficult to come to terms with finding out that someone you trusted did something horrible.

Look at the neighbour's small window right at ground level. Who would have the nerve to bury a body on the neighbour's property right in front of their window? Anyone could have been watching him from inside, either there or from above (Unless perhaps they were neighbours who jb knew had gone away??)

Who dug up those large pieces of concrete and which location were they from?

I think all of the threads on WS are antagonistic and also have illogical discussions.. when you get lots of people floating around ideas, it's bound to happen.. if everyone can try to be respectful of one anothers' theories/ideas and try to keep open minds at least until the mysteries are solved, sometimes some ideas can be generated that help sleuth the cases. It's a little tough sometimes to toe the line on here when we can't sleuth victim family members and loved ones, even though they often end up being the ones responsible!

Looking at the photos, the pathway looks too narrow to be the width of the co-op. The retaining wall must hold back the dirt for half of his backyard, and maybe the window is part of his co-op. Maybe police noticed that he had poured concrete on that part of the backyard and got a warrant to dig.

It never ceases to amaze me when the families seem to not suspect the most obvious conclusion, until charges are laid, but then I've never personally been in that situation.. it must be terribly difficult to come to terms with finding out that someone you trusted did something horrible.

I think the family knew from the beginning - that is why Shannon's sister let slip during the press conference that the husband did not return calls until after work a couple of days after she was last seen.

Here is another photo from the time. i'm not sure where SMB's unit is in relation to where the officer is parked.

attachment.php

Attachments

• Shannon house on hill with LE vehicle.jpg
    Shannon house on hill with LE vehicle.jpg
    250.3 KB · Views: 117
Looking at the photos, the pathway looks too narrow to be the width of the co-op. The retaining wall must hold back the dirt for half of his backyard, and maybe the window is part of his co-op. Maybe police noticed that he had poured concrete on that part of the backyard and got a warrant to dig.

Here is a photo showing that other section, and yes, it does appear to be a continuation of SMB's yard, and not the neighbour's:

attachment.php

http://globalnews.ca/news/2092681/calgary-police-lay-charges-in-death-of-shannon-madill-burgess/

Attachments

• angle of missing fence piece3.jpg
    angle of missing fence piece3.jpg
    77.6 KB · Views: 110
These are some images that I linked months ago when Shannon first went missing. The red marked area on the building is the apartment where Shannon was murdered; where her body was found.

PrsessConferenceHusband_ShannonMissingFiveDAys.jpg

apt close uip.jpg

AptParkingLot.jpg

Apt Map.jpg

PressConference2.jpg

These are some images that I linked months ago when Shannon first went missing. The red marked area on the building is the apartment where Shannon was murdered; where her body was found.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Thanks for those pics. otto, in retrospect they pretty much "say" everything about this case! imo.

He was looking over his shoulder from day one.

We knew long ago that she didn't leave the apartment. I wonder what happened that allowed police to obtain a search warrant. Was that in the news?

He was looking over his shoulder from day one.

We knew long ago that she didn't leave the apartment. I wonder what happened that allowed police to obtain a search warrant. Was that in the news?

Maybe answers to queries posed by LE gave them the authority to search the home again?
imo.
rbbm
http://www.calgarysun.com/2015/07/0...ion-into-shannon-madill-burgess-disappearance
July 2015
Sources say in addition to questions about alibis from those being interviewed, the question was asked then whether it was believed Joshua might be capable of hurting his wife.

It was also asked whether Shannon was likely to up and leave — something family later said was possible.
Police have said a search of the home was done then but last Thursday they returned with a warrant to search again, finding the 25-year-old woman’s body and arresting her 29-year-old husband.

Maybe answers to queries posed by LE gave them the authority to search the home again?
imo.
rbbm
http://www.calgarysun.com/2015/07/0...ion-into-shannon-madill-burgess-disappearance
July 2015

Thank you ... "Sources say in addition to questions about alibis from those being interviewed, the question was asked then whether it was believed Joshua might be capable of hurting his wife.

It was also asked whether Shannon was likely to up and leave — something family later said was possible.
Police have said a search of the home was done then but last Thursday they returned with a warrant to search again, finding the 25-year-old woman’s body and arresting her 29-year-old husband."

Thank you! That suggests that not only were there questions about his alibi - what sort of alibi should a man have on a Sunday night at 8PM when his wife is driving home? Surely being at home alone is a good alibi!

So, if the alibi in question, what was he doing on the night that Shannon drove home from Edmonton - with brand new tires?
What was found during the first consentual search that led to a search warrant. Were police snooping around the concrete in the backyard?

Thank you ... "Sources say in addition to questions about alibis from those being interviewed, the question was asked then whether it was believed Joshua might be capable of hurting his wife. It was also asked whether Shannon was likely to up and leave — something family later said was possible. Police have said a search of the home was done then but last Thursday they returned with a warrant to search again, finding the 25-year-old woman’s body and arresting her 29-year-old husband." Thank you! That suggests that not only were there questions about his alibi - what sort of alibi should a man have on a Sunday night at 8PM when his wife is driving home? Surely being at home alone is a good alibi! So, if the alibi in question, what was he doing on the night that Shannon drove home from Edmonton - with brand new tires? What was found during the first consentual search that led to a search warrant. Were police snooping around the concrete in the backyard?
SMB was reported to have gone 'missing' on November 27, 2014, and her body was discovered on july 3, 2015, some 7 months later. Is it possible that however he buried her, it wasn't deep enough to keep odors (and perhaps animals) at bay when the warm weather returned in the late spring/early summer. Someone perhaps reported the odor, and they put two and two together?
High & Low Weather Summary for May 2015
Temperature Humidity Pressure
High 25 °C (May 31, 4:00 PM) 100% (May 8, 3:00 AM) 103.26 kPa (May 8, 3:00 AM)
Low -3 °C (May 7, 6:00 AM) 11% (May 31, 7:00 PM) 100.41 kPa (May 5, 5:00 PM)
Average 10 °C 53% 101.90 kPa
* Reported May 1 12:00 AM — May 31 11:00 PM, Calgary, Weather by CustomWeather, © 2016
https://www.timeanddate.com/weather/canada/calgary/historic?month=6&year=2015

SMB was reported to have gone 'missing' on November 27, 2014, and her body was discovered on july 3, 2015, some 7 months later. Is it possible that however he buried her, it wasn't deep enough to keep odors (and perhaps animals) at bay when the warm weather returned in the late spring/early summer. Someone perhaps reported the odor, and they put two and two together?
https://www.timeanddate.com/weather/canada/calgary/historic?month=6&year=2015

It's possible. It might also be that police, or someone at the co-op, noticed the concrete that was carelessly spread over the area where her body was discovered. Dead animals have to be buried 6 feet under ground to ensure that scavengers don't dig up the remains. Shannon was buried in what looks like a raised garden - but would anyone really notice animals sniffing around carelessly poured concrete?

It's possible. It might also be that police, or someone at the co-op, noticed the concrete that was carelessly spread over the area where her body was discovered. Dead animals have to be buried 6 feet under ground to ensure that scavengers don't dig up the remains. Shannon was buried in what looks like a raised garden - but would anyone really notice animals sniffing around carelessly poured concrete?

I guess I had assumed that the concrete had been broken/dug up by LE. Surely to god if JB had poured homemade cement onto his property after doing some digging, a neighbour would've noticed (and called LE) at the time?

I guess I had assumed that the concrete had been broken/dug up by LE. Surely to god if JB had poured homemade cement onto his property after doing some digging, a neighbour would've noticed (and called LE) at the time?

He had to do the digging at some time, so my guess is that he did this in the middle of the night and the neighbours simply didn't notice.
Maybe he dumped a couple of bags of concrete on the ground late at night and poured water on it.

He had to do the digging at some time, so my guess is that he did this in the middle of the night and the neighbours simply didn't notice.
Maybe he dumped a couple of bags of concrete on the ground late at night and poured water on it.

look how thick those chunks of concrete are.. they've got to be at least 4" thick. That would have taken a boatload of concrete bags (I wonder if JB worked with concrete?).

look how thick those chunks of concrete are.. they've got to be at least 4" thick. That would have taken a boatload of concrete bags (I wonder if JB worked with concrete?).

I remember that he had a 2 year technologist certificate, and something about two different jobs being posted here. One seemed like a desk job, but the other seemed like stripping vacant properties to collect materials for recycling. Maybe he had the manual labour job before he graduated. It looks like his linkedin account is gone.

This article provides a good recap of the facts so far: http://news.nationalpost.com/news/c...lkers-but-her-husband-now-charged-with-murder

His online profile, which is screen-captured in the article, claims that he spent his days "taking down old buildings", so at the time of the murder he must have been doing the manual labour job - perhaps stripping vacant properties.

Almost forgot the point of mentioning his work - given his job, he probably had a good understanding of construction materials.

I remember that he had a 2 year technologist certificate, and something about two different jobs being posted here. One seemed like a desk job, but the other seemed like stripping vacant properties to collect materials for recycling. Maybe he had the manual labour job before he graduated. It looks like his linkedin account is gone.

This article provides a good recap of the facts so far: http://news.nationalpost.com/news/c...lkers-but-her-husband-now-charged-with-murder

His online profile, which is screen-captured in the article, claims that he spent his days "taking down old buildings", so at the time of the murder he must have been doing the manual labour job - perhaps stripping vacant properties.

Almost forgot the point of mentioning his work - given his job, he probably had a good understanding of construction materials.

Wondering if he would have had access to a concrete supplier.. i'm thinking with the concrete slabs/chunks being that thick, he would have needed SO much concrete.. it looks like it would be a fairly noticeable thing to have a concrete delivery into that yard location, and/or to have been lugging bags and bags of the stuff from his vehicle (from the parking area?) to the tarped location?

i am still so shocked that none of the neighbours, in such close quarters, reported seeing anything, in one way or another. It was interesting re-watching the clip of the police press conference.. at 6:58 the officer explicitly says, "it wasn't a tip". I'm very curious to know what led to their pursuing a search warrant 7 months into the investigation. I guess it could have been so many things which led to the search warrant so long after the fact, without a tip necessarily being called in. I suppose it is even possible that police came to his door to re-question him on something, and noticed an odor and/or saw some recent (perhaps homemade looking?) concrete work.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wulongfei125
Back