GUILTY Canada - Shannon Burgess, 25, Calgary, 26 Nov 2014 - #4 *Arrest*

I find it so eerie (not sure that is the right word) that there is a video of SMB which was recorded during her last day alive. I think I would be obsessed with that video if I was one of her close family members, looking for clues as to whether she was aware that something was so gravely wrong with her ex's mindset that day/night.

I wonder who the 9 witnesses are, who were to be called by the prosecution during the prelim. I can't wait til trial when we may get to hear what sparked JB's sudden rage to feel he had to kill her. I wonder if JB is in solitary confinement while he awaits his trial?

Such a shame that this lovely, vibrant woman was stolen from the world, imo.

[video=youtube;P0CTIwPPlE0]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P0CTIwPPlE0[/video]

Another article link below (N Hixt). A judge and jury trial. I'm not getting why it took 2 more months after the prelim to set the trial date? Three and one quarter years from the date she went missing until the trial date... just over two and a half years from the time JB was charged with her murder. Seems like such a long wait to trial. I'm surprised the trial is only scheduled to last 3 weeks; Does that mean there's not that much evidence to present, but what they DO have is cut and dried, but wow, that seems really short, doesn't it? I would have thought that a trial of only 3 weeks duration would have been able to have been fit in a lot sooner than that. jmo.

The trial for Joshua Burgess by judge and jury is scheduled to last three weeks beginning Feb. 20, 2018.
http://globalnews.ca/news/2989341/j...rial-in-2018-for-wife-shannon-madills-murder/

Also in the link posted earlier, is this the first time it has been publicly reported in MSM that SMB's body was buried? From memory, although burying in the yard was alluded to, I believe they had only reported up until now, that her body had been found 'concealed' at the residence somewhere? How do neighbours in such close quarters not report that to the police right away when there is a huge deal being made in the news about a missing woman who lived there?

“Obviously a body was located within a residence and it’s now six or seven months old, there would’ve had to have been some form of concealment for sure,” Sgt. Chisholm said.
http://globalnews.ca/news/2092681/calgary-police-lay-charges-in-death-of-shannon-madill-burgess/

Her remains were found on Friday at the home she shared with husband..

The remains were recovered on Friday at the home in the 1900 block of Spiller Road S.E.

Chisholm did not specify where the body was found.

Police dug up part of the home's backyard on Sunday as they continued to execute a search warrant.

"Obviously, a body located within a residence that is now six months, seven months old, there would have had to be some form of concealment," Chisholm said.
http://www.cbc.ca/beta/news/canada/...y-found-husband-charged-with-murder-1.3138983

http://www.calgarysun.com/2016/10/07/burgess-to-remain-behind-bars-until-trial-starts
The lawyer also alluded to a possible psychiatric defence for the accused.

“Mr. Burgess will see a mental health professional in the near future,” Fay said.

Over a year in custody and he 'will' see a mental health professional, but hasn't yet? Wow.

Thinking of those who may unknowingly be living with someone with psychiatric disorders who may be on, or close to, the edge. I wonder if SMB knew he had mental issues.. perhaps she only speculated on that, and on the severity, and tossed it aside as a non substantial risk to herself. How sad. Personally I will never understand people who are separated, continuing to reside together in the same dwelling. jmo

Another article link below (N Hixt). A judge and jury trial. I'm not getting why it took 2 more months after the prelim to set the trial date? Three and one quarter years from the date she went missing until the trial date... just over two and a half years from the time JB was charged with her murder. Seems like such a long wait to trial. I'm surprised the trial is only scheduled to last 3 weeks; Does that mean there's not that much evidence to present, but what they DO have is cut and dried, but wow, that seems really short, doesn't it? I would have thought that a trial of only 3 weeks duration would have been able to have been fit in a lot sooner than that. jmo.

It seems the holdup is coming from the defence itself, as opposed to our courts. If a defence lawyer is the cause of delay in getting to trial, does an accused still receive extra credit for 'dead time' (time served prior to trial)?

Perhaps the defence strategy is to have a trial date far in the future so that by the time it happens, they can say that yes JB had some kind of mental issues, but he has since received treatment, and therefore he should get out with time already served?

from the Sun link posted above by dotr:
“So he’s going to spend 16 months in custody?” the judge asked.

“On top of the time he’s already served,” the lawyer replied.

Crown prosecutor Sonya Bertrand said earlier dates were offered, but couldn’t accommodate Fay’s schedule.

Remember this video of the family and JB pleading for info, @ 5:50?

[video=youtube;uYgblHe6Dpc]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uYgblHe6Dpc[/video]

Over a year in custody and he 'will' see a mental health professional, but hasn't yet? Wow.

Thinking of those who may unknowingly be living with someone with psychiatric disorders who may be on, or close to, the edge. I wonder if SMB knew he had mental issues.. perhaps she only speculated on that, and on the severity, and tossed it aside as a non substantial risk to herself. How sad. Personally I will never understand people who are separated, continuing to reside together in the same dwelling. jmo

They had an arranged marriage according to her, but perhaps he was expecting more. I think the murder was a result of jealousy, and anger over money. I don't believe he has any psychiatric issues. I also think they were in a standoff over who kept the subsidized co-op.

It seems the holdup is coming from the defence itself, as opposed to our courts. If a defence lawyer is the cause of delay in getting to trial, does an accused still receive extra credit for 'dead time' (time served prior to trial)?

Perhaps the defence strategy is to have a trial date far in the future so that by the time it happens, they can say that yes JB had some kind of mental issues, but he has since received treatment, and therefore he should get out with time already served?

from the Sun link posted above by dotr:

Former Prosecutor Allan Faye knows exactly what to do to ensure that his client is looking at no more than 2nd degree murder, and to strategize to ensure that his client faces minimal prison time.

They had an arranged marriage according to her, but perhaps he was expecting more. I think the murder was a result of jealousy, and anger over money. I don't believe he has any psychiatric issues. I also think they were in a standoff over who kept the subsidized co-op.

'arranged marriage'? i recall they had an 'open marriage'... i can't remember about an 'arranged marriage'.. can you elaborate?

'arranged marriage'? i recall they had an 'open marriage'... i can't remember about an 'arranged marriage'.. can you elaborate?

The claims about an open marriage came, I believe, from the online dating website, and I would question if that was really the basis of the marriage. A couple or an unwilling partner might experiment with something to see if it will save the marriage, but that's quite different from having a long-lasting, mutually satisfactory open marriage.

Good point.

Arranged marriage per Western values ... they had an arrangement. Arranged marriage per Middle East probably means that the parents arranged the marriage, but I wasn't thinking with Middle East values.

The claims about an open marriage came, I believe, from the online dating website, and I would question if that was really the basis of the marriage. A couple or an unwilling partner might experiment with something to see if it will save the marriage, but that's quite different from having a long-lasting, mutually satisfactory open marriage.

I thought it was more of an arrangement for convenience, sharing the co-op, perhaps providing her with his work benefits.

Someone posted upthread about whether we knew that she was buried in the back yard. We did. Photos of the crime scene when she was found showed that the neighbour's raised yard had been dug out. It looked like he had buried her in the neighbour's back yard next to his fence.

.... Also in the link posted earlier, is this the first time it has been publicly reported in MSM that SMB's body was buried? From memory, although burying in the yard was alluded to, I believe they had only reported up until now, that her body had been found 'concealed' at the residence somewhere? How do neighbours in such close quarters not report that to the police right away when there is a huge deal being made in the news about a missing woman who lived there?

http://globalnews.ca/news/2092681/calgary-police-lay-charges-in-death-of-shannon-madill-burgess/

http://www.cbc.ca/beta/news/canada/...y-found-husband-charged-with-murder-1.3138983

Someone posted upthread about whether we knew that she was buried in the back yard. We did. Photos of the crime scene when she was found showed that the neighbour's raised yard had been dug out. It looked like he had buried her in the neighbour's back yard next to his fence.

That was me, and I questioned if that was the first time it's been reported in MSM that she had been found buried in the yard.. I know we saw photos of what I had presumed to be the yard *after* police had finished digging it up, and even after finding her body, they were still digging up parts of her yard.. but i don't believe police had ever said, or MSM had ever reported, that she had been found buried until this recent news report.

I had to almost laugh when i read the post just above.... can you imagine if JB had buried her in the *neighbour's* yard?? It does look like that is a possibility though, from at least one of the photos.. can you imagine having one of your neighbours digging up YOUR yard, nevermind at some point near or after hearing about the disappeared woman who lived next door.. and not reporting it?? Or not noticing??

This is where it was (finally) reported that she had been found buried on the property as opposed to just found concealed at the residence:
The man accused of killing his wife and burying her body on their property will face a judge and jury at trial in February 2018.
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgary/josh-burgess-shannon-madill-murder-trial-1.3796536

Here are the pics showing what looks like digging into the neighbour's yard:
attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• angle of missing fence piece1.jpg
    angle of missing fence piece1.jpg
    366 KB · Views: 82
  • angle of missing fence piece2.jpg
    angle of missing fence piece2.jpg
    58.8 KB · Views: 81
So very bold!
The digging could not have been easy if the ground was frozen, and the alleged perp. perhaps not very strong, speculation.
How come nobody seemed to notice a man whose wife was missing, suddenly digging up the yard?
Could he have hidden SM in a container in the house and moved her later to the yard?
Cannot recall if there was any further info. about possible tampering with Shannon's car brakes?
speculation, imo.

So very bold!
The digging could not have been easy if the ground was frozen, and the alleged perp. perhaps not very strong, speculation.
How come nobody seemed to notice a man whose wife was missing, suddenly digging up the yard?
Could he have hidden SM in a container in the house and moved her later to the yard?
Cannot recall if there was any further info. about possible tampering with Shannon's car brakes?
speculation, imo.

True - if the ground was frozen.

I think that because this was a bit like a raised garden - in a sense - the ground was not frozen. As you point out, it's also quite possible he hid the body in the apartment until he thought the coast was clear, and then he moved her to the back yard. I think he's an angry sicko, not a sad little confused man with mental disorder. Good luck to his lawyer in portraying the smirking suspect (see plea from family for information) as a man who had a mental disturbance prior to murdering his wife and burying her in the backyard.

I have to wonder if he was posting here simply because we had such odd comments posted here, and such adamant, twisting in circles, insistence that the husband could not have murdered Shannon. It was one of the most antagonistic, illogical discussion of facts that I've experienced here.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Inquisitive11201
Back