Australia - Warriena Wright, 26, dies in balcony fall, Surfers Paradise, Aug 2014 #10

Status
Not open for further replies.
Warriena's mother criticises the judge for releasing audio. Her comments could not be published in QLD until now because they could have influenced the trial’s outcome. She asked not to release the audio tape but it was overruled by the judge. I feel sorry for the poor woman. Hope she finds some peace back home.

BBM. Correct.

not correct.. The Coroner hasn't pronounced a verdict yet.. unless he /she did so in the last 2 minutes.. as of now, Warriena's death , as far as the coroner is concerned is unpronounced. So no one has ' assailed ' a verdict that hasn't been given.

To make his mental state even more complicated, Tostee, Dr Curtis said, also suffered from Obsessive Compulsive Disorder. His OCD included “magical rituals” — a term often associated with people who believed that thinking something bad could cause it to happen.The rituals were usually time consuming and debilitating, people who suffered from this condition might typically avoid stepping on cracks in the footpath, they might associate certain days with good luck or bad luck. They might believe thinking about a car crash could cause it to happen.
“He has one major island of ability,” the court heard, “which involves drafting and artistic skills.”
http://www.couriermail.com.au/news/...n/news-story/635313a55f227b68f6e41a9ba23187ac

I have all of these traits, and a successful drafting and artistic career that I worked hard to secure. Maybe there was some wisdom in that observation. I'm also glad my parents didn't just buy me a flat and shove me in there and make me perform a boring and repetitive task. They sent me out into the world with a good sense of empathy and consequences.

I was hoping GT would be charged at least with illegally recording his date.. if nothing else. Provided he uploaded it on the internet. Something is really weird about this trial.

QUOTE=fairydust;12882187]Except this one is explained. The court case explained it. Thi is a PR stunts, so the police make you think they are still on the case - they arent.

While it is the fact that Warriena's death has been ruled in respect of Gabe Tostee as not guilty of her murder, the CORONER has not made a ruling...this should be obvious as to WHY the coroner hasn't made a ruling while the matter was subjudice almost immediately...

The Coroner hasn't made a ruling because he/she CANNOT do so until any criminal matter has been resolved. And now the options for the coroner are , as texted before, Suicide, Accident, or Open Finding.

Thus....this is normal proceure.. Nothing whatsoever to do with PR stunts..

Warriena' death was an unexpected event, in a public place, and her death would have come under the Coroners jurisdiction regardless of Tostee's involvement . Just about any 26 yr olds death would, and does. Every one knows this.[/QUOTE]

Fix your tags :scream:

This has been an interesting and yet disappointing exercise for me. Some have correctly concluded what my back ground is. I have not pursued verification as it takes time and effort Admin is not willing to expend and that is completely understandable. Also, that I’ll likely not be much of a participant here now this Trial has concluded also influenced my decision not to bother with it.

Most here are disappointed with the decision, which to me, was always inevitable. Given the state of the evidence and the fundamental tenet that people are innocent until proven guilty (and that includes Tostee right now…..who is now an innocent man still) and any criminal guilt must be proven beyond reasonable doubt. I doubt even the Prosecutor thought he would get a conviction. I doubt any Lawyer with experience in crime and Trials expected anything other than this outcome.

That’s the way of the Law, and Court Rooms.

Many here have pointed out that WS is not a Court Room, and that is obviously correct. However, even on the social media (especially a site which seeks to claim credibility in a criminology sense) there is little point in indulging in wild speculation and weird assertions which bear no relationship to the facts, or admissible evidence. It seems to work this way. A female dies of non-natural causes. Instead of looking at all the circumstances, people zero in on the conduct of any male involved in isolation, and just ignore or trivialise everything else which occurred. “That woman is dead, there was a male involved….let’s stretch our imaginations as far as we can, even beyond credibility, to find some way to isolate the death as something the male only contributed to."

That is what strikes me, a total stranger to WS only two weeks ago, right between the eyes. The explanation is that WS is a ‘victim friendly’ Forum. Yes it is, but the TOS are quite clear:

It is absolutely appropriate for the conduct of the ‘victim’ to be discussed, respectfully, and I have always born that in mind. There is another very relevant WS Rule:

If they are honest (and I accept they are) there are many here who will readily admit that, on many occasions, they have breached the Rule, which is very appropriately there for balance.

So, to the ultimate point:

It is absolutely of no assistance to achieving a fair result to start out on the premise the male is guilty and then seek to justify that premature conclusion by imaginations. That will inevitably lead to the very disappointment and frustration many here are obviously now experiencing. The real World of Criminal Justice just does not work that way, and it never will.

Step 1: Every person is innocent until proven guilty.
Step 2. That proof must be beyond reasonable doubt and based on the admissible evidence given at the Trial.
Step 3. (a) If that evidence does not reach the level of proof of guilt beyond reasonable doubt, there must be a verdict of “Not Guilty.” (b) If that evidence does reach the level of proof of guilt beyond reasonable doubt, there must be a verdict of “Guilty.”

If the verdict in this case had been “Guilty,” it would have been found untenable and perverse upon appeal.

To those who are claiming that the system is broken because Tostee was found not guilty, I ask for honest reconsideration, and if that is done, the conclusion is that it has in fact worked very well, but it did not produce the outcome many had invested considerable emotion in.

It is an absolute tragedy that her life was lost that night (and I extend my thoughts to her Family, and also his) but, it is what it is and there is no way of reversing history.

Another one of your many excellent posts. Would you advance an opinion on why such flimsy charges were even raised? Any idea at all? Even with my minor knowledge of law i could not understand how these charges would succeed, given the lack of any real evidence?

I was hoping GT would be charged at least with illegally recording his date.. if nothing else. Provided he uploaded it on the internet. Something is really weird about this trial.

I have to agree. Very very weird.

I think a lot of us feel this way as well because we wouldn't want to ever end up in that position where our dates were being secretly recorded and potentially uploaded behind our back to make fun of. No one has commented on this behavior. It's been passed over as if this sort of behaviour is acceptable. I think thats why so many of us here are really unnerved by this case. It's almost like now he's been found Not Guilty all his behaviour leading up to, during, and afterwards has been dismissed as not important/acceptable. The truth is, just because he didn't kill her, doesn't the rest is okay. We know that, but it would be nice if some of the media or legal commentators would actually address this.

I have to agree. Very very weird.

quote_icon.png
Originally Posted by Sor Juana

In QLD it is not an offence to tape another individual without their consent.

I think a lot of us feel this way as well because we wouldn't want to ever end up in that position where our dates were being secretly recorded and potentially uploaded behind our back to make fun of. No one has commented on this behavior. It's been passed over as if this sort of behaviour is acceptable. I think thats why so many of us here are really unnerved by this case. It's almost like now he's been found Not Guilty all his behaviour leading up to, during, and afterwards has been dismissed as not important/acceptable. The truth is, just because he didn't kill her, doesn't the rest is okay. We know that, but it would be nice if some of the media or legal commentators would actually address this.

None of his behaviour is appropriate. Sadly though his attitude is very common in society these days. I think all women should be more careful. Meeting strangers on tinder and going back to their homes is as dangerous as getting into a car with a total stranger. We teach our children to be internet safe. Why are women hooking up with total strangers. There are lots of creeps out there just look at GT

I watched channel 9 tonight and they were pouring on the aspergers defence again. I feel sorry for GT's parents because the aspergers diagnosis was thrown away some time ago, so I guess they thought he would be safe, set up in that apartment that they bought him. Perhaps he IS a twisted and torn poor disabled soul who should be under more constant supervision. Let's hope he can find a safe community and do no more harm.

Zero chance. The judge would have decided not to discharge the jury BEFORE the jury handed down their verdict.

There was no corruption, no judicial interference, no impropriety by the judge or the lawyers.

I think we are all still struggling to understand why ALL of the evidence was not allowed. How many times we have heard the judge instruct the jury to consider all of the evidence.
It is very difficult to understand why that was not the case in this trial.
We have heard that it is because of 'legal arguments'. But what legal arguments? What precedences (or whatever) can dictate such a thing? And why has this not happened before?

While it is the fact that Warriena's death has been ruled in respect of Gabe Tostee as not guilty of her murder, the CORONER has not made a ruling...this should be obvious as to WHY the coroner hasn't made a ruling while the matter was subjudice almost immediately...

The Coroner hasn't made a ruling because he/she CANNOT do so until any criminal matter has been resolved. And now the options for the coroner are , as texted before, Suicide, Accident, or Open Finding.

Thus....this is normal proceure.. Nothing whatsoever to do with PR stunts..

Warriena' death was an unexpected event, in a public place, and her death would have come under the Coroners jurisdiction regardless of Tostee's involvement . Just about any 26 yr olds death would, and does. Every one knows this.
If a 26 yo dies in a hospital and a doctor can explain the death, then the coroner is not interested in it. Thas just one scenario I get what you are saying, but now that the verdict is in, and trial details know, it is a formality to classify it as death by accident. The point I was making is the Police are trying to give some impression they are still on the case, and they most definitely are not. Their window has passed and they have wasted a lot of time and taxpayers money trying to achieve the impossible with very very little.

Fix your tags :scream:

We can probably expect every legal post on this thread to be pulled up and given an inane reply, to put it in front of our faces. An agitator. Always has been. Always will be.
Until the next TO or ban.[/QUOTE]

as if the QLD police service has time to carry on stunts about a young woman's death. It is absurd and the limpest of baiting, the last refuge of inanity. ..

It is disturbing thought that the processes and procedures and jurisdiction of the Coroners Office is such a black hole of deep ignorance, because like it or not, a lot of us will one day come face to face with that same office.. I don't say most of us, but a lot of us, even fairydust isn't immune. It is rational to know a bit about it, why it is and what it does.

The mere fact that Warriena was only 26 was grounds for her body to come under the protection and cognisance of the Coroners office, regardless of her manner of death, or Gabe's looming presence. The fact that she was a foreigner on these shores was another factor, unless a foreigner died in hospital under a doctors care and concern. it is risible to call the very proper workings of the Coroners office a stunt. On what planet would that be, I wonder.

None of his behaviour is appropriate. Sadly though his attitude is very common in society these days. I think all women should be more careful. Meeting strangers on tinder and going back to their homes is as dangerous as getting into a car with a total stranger. We teach our children to be internet safe. Why are women hooking up with total strangers. There are lots of creeps out there just look at GT

I've met up with heaps of guys on tinder and gone back to their houses (okay, not straight away, but we've ended up there.) Tinder is like meeting anyone anywhere and you have to go with your gut. Sadly, when girls are growing up they are taught to be nice instead of honing their creep-o-meter. Nice girls believe the best in people, they're not looking for creep clues. So while an MRA may accuse someone like me of "being a *****" I am pretty much un-manipulable and i'm never going to be nice in order to spare someone's feelings.

I mean, if women wanted to be completely safe we'd have to exclude all men from our lives and we live in a two sex society so that's not going to happen. We're not to blame.

It is impossible to know with these broken quotes who is replying to what. Can you edit your posts to close the broken quote brackets.

If a 26 yo dies in a hospital and a doctor can explain the death, then the coroner is not interested in it. Thas just one scenario I get what you are saying, but now that the verdict is in, and trial details know, it is a formality to classify it as death by accident. The point I was making is the Police are trying to give some impression they are still on the case, and they most definitely are not. Their window has passed and the havent already tried to do a lot with very little..

no it is not a formality for the scenario you portray to occur. The Coroner has options, which I have outlined. Your claim in this regard is entirely erroneous and it doesn't take much of an effort to get it right.. The Coroner, and his/her procedures and obligations are public knowledge, your taxes pay for them, you are entitled to look them up , but no one is entitled to give false information about the way the thing is done. It is such a waste of time to do so.

It is impossible to know with these broken quotes who is replying to what. Can you edit your posts to close the broken quote brackets.

Thread is too full. Quotes are coming up wrong. Posters may need to edit posts to fix the quotes, ensure there is only one quote mark in front and one at the end, no others. It seems to be happening as we post, not as we are typing the reply.
I just had to do that to my last post.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member