Found Deceased OR - Anna 'Annie' Schmidt, 21, Columbia River Gorge, 16 Oct 2016

Unless they secretly burried her already; Then why not still want her body to be found?

Most searchers are looking for a body anyways. So why would a parent not want searches continued even if it was a suicide

They are LDS. Continuing to think she died accidentally while hiking might be preferable to having suicide confirmed (which might be obvious if her body is found). Just a thought. It's a touchy subject.

ETA: I'm not saying I think she committed suicide - it was just a hypothetical response to a hypothetical question.

Roommates are not siblings nor guardians. They are independent folks with their own life and problems and share living space due to lack of finances.

So we can't always act like the roommate should know more or be worried more about their roomie.

Now when I was in College and had a roommate. I loved when they were gone days at a time and vice versa. Lol

Especially since you have the solitude to yourself for a while. Jmo

Has it been officially confirmed whether her cell phone was in her car or not? I find it strange that even with a low battery that she would leave it in the car. MOO.

I think it's weird that her mother apparently did not have any contact with her in the two (or three?) days preceding her trip to Portland. When my parents visited me in college, they always called to tell me when they were leaving home and what time they would arrive, etc. They might also ask if I wanted them to bring anything with them or if I needed anything, etc. In addition, we usually talked about their visit and what we do and where we would go, etc. Did Annie know what time her mother was to arrive in Portland? Flights often get changed and it seems strange that the two had no correspondence just prior to her trip. Has it been stated when Annie and her mother last spoke to each other?

I find the early acceptance by the family, particularly her mother, that Annie is deceased to be a bit troubling. I can't tell if they know something or sense something (like maybe Annie was struggling with something) or if it's just a coping mechanism to deal with her unexplained disappearance.

I also find the roommate's behavior strange, but perhaps the two were not close.

This case is very puzzling. It seems that many details have been (purposefully?) omitted. A good description of her car would have been useful in case someone had witnessed anything prior to her disappearance. I am still confused as to whether her cell phone and camping gear were actually in the car or not. The date and times of her last photos and online activity seem fuzzy as well.

I don't know what to think. If she was just out hiking and something happened, it seems like her body would have been found by now. In all honesty, it seems odd that she would go hiking alone in the first place, but perhaps that was normal for her. I assume at this point that most of the hiking trails in the area have been searched. It's a heavily vegetated area, though, so if she went off-trail for some reason, it's certainly possible that she got hurt or lost and died from exposure and just hasn't been found. I feel like there might be more to the story, though. Maybe I'm too suspicious by nature, but I can't help but wonder if foul play could have been involved and I also can't rule out suicide. Do we know if the search dogs were able to follow her scent at all?

Has it been officially confirmed whether her cell phone was in her car or not? I find it strange that even with a low battery that she would leave it in the car. MOO.

I think it's weird that her mother apparently did not have any contact with her in the two (or three?) days preceding her trip to Portland. When my parents visited me in college, they always called to tell me when they were leaving home and what time they would arrive, etc. They might also ask if I wanted them to bring anything with them or if I needed anything, etc. In addition, we usually talked about their visit and what we do and where we would go, etc. Did Annie know what time her mother was to arrive in Portland? Flights often get changed and it seems strange that the two had no correspondence just prior to her trip. Has it been stated when Annie and her mother last spoke to each other?

I find the early acceptance by the family, particularly her mother, that Annie is deceased to be a bit troubling. I can't tell if they know something or sense something (like maybe Annie was struggling with something) or if it's just a coping mechanism to deal with her unexplained disappearance.

I also find the roommate's behavior strange, but perhaps the two were not close.

This case is very puzzling. It seems that many details have been (purposefully?) omitted. A good description of her car would have been useful in case someone had witnessed anything prior to her disappearance. I am still confused as to whether her cell phone and camping gear were actually in the car or not. The date and times of her last photos and online activity seem fuzzy as well.

I don't know what to think. If she was just out hiking and something happened, it seems like her body would have been found by now. In all honesty, it seems odd that she would go hiking alone in the first place, but perhaps that was normal for her. I assume at this point that most of the hiking trails in the area have been searched. It's a heavily vegetated area, though, so if she went off-trail for some reason, it's certainly possible that she got hurt or lost and died from exposure and just hasn't been found. I feel like there might be more to the story, though. Maybe I'm too suspicious by nature, but I can't help but wonder if foul play could have been involved and I also can't rule out suicide. Do we know if the search dogs were able to follow her scent at all?

Multiple media sources reported the phone was in the car. It is only comments on facebook that say the rumor is her phone wasn't found. So I guess it depends on how much you believe the media. I'm not sure there is a LE statement on what was found in her car.

Her mother tried to call her and text her. I found it odd her mother did not call her roommate but maybe she did not know the roommate's contact info.

There were search dogs used when LE was involved in an active search but it had been raining so heavily there that the dogs may not have picked up anything. They also used drones:

http://katu.com/news/local/drones-d...inues-for-missing-hiker-in-the-columbia-gorge

So you think Annie killed herself. What makes you think so? That seems like a stretch speculatuon and an odd thing to post after someone lists very specific, verifiable info. I haven't seen ANYTHING from the family/close friends that point towards suicide or struggles with life. In fact, the roommate indicates Annie was seeming ecstatic that day. Please post links or verifiable info that back your view about Annie possibly being suicidal. Annie deserves to not be generalized as a suicial person, just because, and especially while... she is missing.

I understand that the possibility of suicide is a sensitive subject, especially concerning anyone deeply religious. I don't believe anyone on this thread has specifically stated that they think Annie killed herself, but the possibility has been brought up along with other possibilities that we have no links to verify.

Those of us here who have followed threads that end in suicide don't consider mentioning the possibility of suicide to be an insult. I have had the sadness of following at least six missing person threads that were suicides. The taking of life, even one's own, is against my personal religious beliefs (not LDS), but I'm also able to understand why someone with deeply held beliefs such as Annie might be in enough pain to violate their own beliefs in order to end it. I have gained a deeper understanding of the subject thanks to the generous sharing of members who have attempted it and survived as well as my own research. Understanding doesn't change my personal beliefs but it gives me compassion for rather than judgement of those who make that tragic choice.

In my experience, families and friends seldom share publicly that their missing loved one was struggling and might be suicidal, if they know. A quick google search will show that many who commit suicide seem especially happy beforehand because they have made a decision to end their pain. They come from all walks of life. Often they have made plans, such as applying for jobs, registering for college, etc. Often they are privately struggling with depression while leading seemingly normal lives. They are people like you and me, not just "suicidal people."

So I want to reassure anyone who is uncomfortable with the mention of suicide as a possibility that it is not meant to detract from the Annie so many clearly loved.

I wish we had some "new" news. My head hurts from trying to speculate. Where are you Annie???

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Well said, Lilibet. I am not judging anyone. I'm simply evaluating the available evidence and attempting to determine what might have happened to Annie.

A few days ago I did think this was likely a suicide, but upon further evaluation, I've changed my mind.

Reasons:
- there was the "I am crying" text which turned out to actually be "I am crying tears of joy," which was probably meant jokingly.
- it seemed like the family didn't think she survived from the very beginning. However, I have since found a video in which Annie's mother initially said she thought Annie was hurt or lost.
- it seemed odd the car was not in the parking lot (with the inclement weather, surely the lot was not full). Further evaluation showed her car was parked perfectly normally for someone going hiking in the area.
- I failed to consider what appear to be fairly deep religious convictions. Religious people do still commit suicide, but it does make it seem less likely.
- Lack of gear seemed ominous, but maybe she just meant for it to be a few hour hike.

On the other hand, we have:
- it does still seem as if the family gave up hope rather early. I don't think I've ever seen a case before where 5-6 days in they said they didn't think she survived.
- telling her roommate she loved her, the apartment, and Portland still seems a little off. This still bothers me a little. As someone has already pointed out, it could just be normal for her, though.
- suicide is far more common than a hiker dying by accident. Given that Annie did, in fact, go hiking, which is more probable? I'm not sure.

At this point, though, I really don't know what to think. Anything still seems possible. We need more information.

I agree hiking accidents are rare, but that's mainly because so few people go hiking, and trails themselves are usually quite safe. But the likelihood of accident increases dramatically when the hiker(s) are young and inexperienced, and take risks like going too near drop offs, going off trail, not dressing for the weather, trying to go too far for the remaining daylight, not carrying a map, etc. And if the person is solo, those risks become very risky and it's not unusual or surprising to me if something goes wrong.

Well said, Lilibet. I am not judging anyone. I'm simply evaluating the available evidence and attempting to determine what might have happened to Annie.

A few days ago I did think this was likely a suicide, but upon further evaluation, I've changed my mind.

Reasons:
- there was the "I am crying" text which turned out to actually be "I am crying tears of joy," which was probably meant jokingly.
- it seemed like the family didn't think she survived from the very beginning. However, I have since found a video in which Annie's mother initially said she thought Annie was hurt or lost.
- it seemed odd the car was not in the parking lot (with the inclement weather, surely the lot was not full). Further evaluation showed her car was parked perfectly normally for someone going hiking in the area.
- I failed to consider what appear to be fairly deep religious convictions. Religious people do still commit suicide, but it does make it seem less likely.
- Lack of gear seemed ominous, but maybe she just meant for it to be a few hour hike.

On the other hand, we have:
- it does still seem as if the family gave up hope rather early. I don't think I've ever seen a case before where 5-6 days in they said they didn't think she survived.
- telling her roommate she loved her, the apartment, and Portland still seems a little off. This still bothers me a little. As someone has already pointed out, it could just be normal for her, though.
- suicide is far more common than a hiker dying by accident. Given that Annie did, in fact, go hiking, which is more probable? I'm not sure.

At this point, though, I really don't know what to think. Anything still seems possible. We need more information.
BBM

You make good points and lay out your thinking process clearly. You've never been disrespectful in discussing the possibility of suicide. But I do want to reassure those who feel the subject of suicide shouldn't be brought up, that discussing it is part of the process we go through. It's not a taboo subject. In fact, bringing it out in the open compassionately may even help someone who is considering it.

I'm honestly not sure what my thinking about Annie is at this point. Like you I was very surprised at how quickly her mother assumed she had died. It seemed that she was comforted by that thought, instead of thinking Annie was suffering. And that's her right. But I'm not at all convinced that Annie actually did go hiking in that weather. However, she is a risk-taker, so who knows? As you say, we need more information. I do hope she is found. Alissa McCrann's family is still waiting. :(

I agree hiking accidents are rare, but that's mainly because so few people go hiking, and trails themselves are usually quite safe. But the likelihood of accident increases dramatically when the hiker(s) are young and inexperienced, and take risks like going too near drop offs, going off trail, not dressing for the weather, trying to go too far for the remaining daylight, not carrying a map, etc. And if the person is solo, those risks become very risky and it's not unusual or surprising to me if something goes wrong.
BBM

That's it, in a nutshell. I realize that it's inconvenient to find someone to hike or run trails with, but my area has had two missing solo trail runners this year. One experienced runner died very close to town. He apparently got sick and threw up, went down to the creek to clean up and was found face down in the shallow creek a few days later. The other, also very experienced, apparently got disoriented in the heat and was lost for several days. She was found and survived, but hospitalized. Both situations were preventable if they had not been alone.

In Annie's case, she is not that experienced in Pacific Northwest hiking in the winter, went out in very bad weather, is a known risk taker, and probably wasn't dressed properly, stayed out too long and didn't have a map. And above all, she was alone. In that case an accident is more likely than suicide IMO. But of course, we look at all possibilities.

Here's another scenario we haven't talked about yet. It's probably much less likely than a hiking accident, but could it be possible?

What if something nefarious happened to Annie? I'm thinking of Whitney Heichel who was carjacked at gun point by an obsessed neighbor, forced to drive to some park or woods, was raped (iirc), killed and dumped. Then the car was dumped elsewhere. What if something like that happened to Annie? Someone who knows her enough to know that she sometimes goes hiking and where. So they kidnap her as she is about to get into her car, force her to drive somewhere remote, assault her (outside the car, so no evidence of assault inside of it), then kill her, and stage the car near the trailhead, making it look like someone broke into it.

In favor of this theory
- it was not good weather for hiking, Annie would have known that
- she did not take her usual hiking gear (beanie, certain shoes etc) with her, as per her roommate
- she has not been found anywhere on the trails

Thoughts?

Here's another scenario we haven't talked about yet. It's probably much less likely than a hiking accident, but could it be possible?

What if something nefarious happened to Annie? I'm thinking of Whitney Heichel who was carjacked at gun point by an obsessed neighbor, forced to drive to some park or woods, was raped (iirc), killed and dumped. Then the car was dumped elsewhere. What if something like that happened to Annie? Someone who knows her enough to know that she sometimes goes hiking and where. So they kidnap her as she is about to get into her car, force her to drive somewhere remote, assault her (outside the car, so no evidence of assault inside of it), then kill her, and stage the car near the trailhead, making it look like someone broke into it.

In favor of this theory
- she did not take her usual hiking gear (beanie, certain shoes etc) with her, as per her roommate

Thoughts?

I think it's possible except that at some point she sent a snapchat to her dad telling him she was going for a hike. Since her car was filled with gas in Beaverton (though we don't know what time that happened), could she have gone for a hike closer to Beaverton, been attacked there and the perp took her car and left it ransacked at the Columbia River Gorge trailhead to throw off a search for her? Maybe she was in public when she made the message to her dad and someone followed her...They would know she said she was going for a hike and could set it up so people thought she was at the Columbia River Gorge. Only question is, did her snapchat specify where she was going hiking or not? I can't recall.

I think it's possible except that at some point she sent a snapchat to her dad telling him she was going for a hike. Since her car was filled with gas in Beaverton (though we don't know what time that happened), could she have gone for a hike closer to Beaverton, been attacked there and the perp took her car and left it ransacked at the Columbia River Gorge trailhead to throw off a search for her? Maybe she was in public when she made the message to her dad and someone followed her...They would know she said she was going for a hike and could set it up so people thought she was at the Columbia River Gorge. Only question is, did her snapchat specify where she was going hiking or not? I can't recall.

Do we know when the transactions in Beaverton occurred? The Beaverton piece is puzzling me. Do they know why she was there? If she gotten gas there Sunday she must have had a reason to go the opposite direction to Beaverton. Maybe meeting someone? She would have access to gas/shopping/etc in Portland. IMO no reason to go to Beaverton unless there was someone there to see, or she was scouting more hikes. But if I recall the area correctly Beaverton is west of Portland and the area her car was found is east of Portland.

Do we know when the transactions in Beaverton occurred? The Beaverton piece is puzzling me. Do they know why she was there? If she gotten gas there Sunday she must have had a reason to go the opposite direction to Beaverton. Maybe meeting someone? She would have access to gas/shopping/etc in Portland. IMO no reason to go to Beaverton unless there was someone there to see, or she was scouting more hikes. But if I recall the area correctly Beaverton is west of Portland and the area her car was found is east of Portland.

Yes Beaverton is west of Portland and her car was found east. We don't know that she didn't live in Beaverton do we? It's in the Portland metro area so could be referred to as Portland because that's more familiar to people. She also could have gone to church in Beaverton as there are several LDS churches when I looked. I know it said her church is in Lake Oswego, but that's the temple. Not sure if regular services are held there. We don't know if she went to church though.

No, they never gave a time and very few media sources even have that detail. Here is the quote:
Michelle Schmidt told KOIN 6 News Annie’s bank charges show she last ate Pho and stopped at a Beaverton gas station.
http://koin.com/2016/10/22/150-volunteers-help-search-for-hiker-in-gorge/

It doesn't even tell us which gas station and where she got the pho.

Locals, how many places can you get Pho in Beaverton/Portland? Probably too many...Are any Pho places near a public park that Annie might have decided to hike in after eating lunch?

Agree. Thats too far and too much alone time with a old phone that doesn't hold battery charge.

Plus why post to snapchat while draining your phone battery when you may need it to make a call.

In favor of this theory

Thoughts?

Yes I think it's possible. This scenario has occurred to me too. As with Whitney, the acquaintance could have asked for a ride. It could even be someone from church and/or a neighbor as it was with Whitney. They wouldn't even have to know where she might hike, but just pick a place. See below for how the snapchat saying where she was going to hike could have happened.

Yes, her snapchat did specify the trail. Could someone else have sent it? You never know if you're actually getting a text from the person whose number shows up. You assume it, but anyone can text from her phone if it's not locked. Does it work that way with snapchat? Or she could have been forced to send the message to her Dad.

I am from Oregon, about 60 miles from where Annie went missing. A few things I am just really confused by. Why no description of the car was released immediately, Wednesday when they discovered she was missing? I was also confused about why no description of what she was wearing was ever released, besides the beanie, but I am assuming that the snapchat her dad got was maybe just a head shot, so that’s all they had to work with?

Also, I found in the Find Annie facebook page, that her friend posted on 10/26 (some days after this photo was released to the media), that the picture she last tweeted with the “good vibes” comment, that this photo was sent to her by friend, from a roadside in California, a couple of years ago. My first problem with this, (assuming this girl was not lying, which, why would she), is why then, did the media not retract or announce to stop trying to figure out the location of the photo, power lines, water, mountainous, etc. My second problem with this photo, is that if she were in such a beautiful place as the gorge, why would she not tweet a photo from around there? Why (assuming) dig through her library and post a picture she never even took, when she was in a place of beauty herself? Some might say, “She didn’t have her phone on the trail to do so”, but she sent her dad a snap from the trail, so that doesn’t add up.

And the whole roommate situation really has me stumped. I don’t understand how the roommate can say that “Annie hadn’t received the tent yet”, but then say that she thought the reason Annie never came home was that they had already started their camping trip. Also, the time stamp of the roommate sharing her location with missing Annie, 7ish A.M. on Wednesday morning. Was this BEFORE Annies mom got to the apartment? If so, then the whole idea of her thinking everything was fine and Annie and her mom were camping is not true. If this was before her mom got to the apartment, and she thought everything was fine, then why would she share her location in an attempt to find out where Annie was?

A last note – there are many social media groups related to hiking in the pnw. I am a member of a few of these, and when I see this on any of them, it makes me cringe, even before annie went missing. People, more often young women than anything else, post that they are planning a “solo hike to (insert location here) this Sunday”, and then ask advice about the location, any tips, etc. Why on earth would you put it out to the world that you will be alone, and oftentimes people will comment things like “will you be armed?” “no”. There is a false sense of security, it seems, among young people and social media. Anyone can see these things, and if they have malicious intent, now know your name, what you look like, and even what you drive, depending on how loose your photos and privacy settings are. A young woman returning to her car after a hike could be approached by someone, “Hey Annie, whats up!!”, and the girl is thinking, oh they must know me, I have to be polite until I figure out where it is I know them from, and by then the guard is down and it is too late.

I have tried to go through the groups I know of to see if she posted anything like this, but that is a huge task. I really hope authorities have done this, looking through her phone, and I really hope they find her. This is just so sad!!
**sorry if any of this has been answered or addressed in the last 12 hours, I am a long time guest, but new member, and had to wait until after work to post. ��**

Yes I think it's possible. This scenario has occurred to me too. As with Whitney, the acquaintance could have asked for a ride. It could even be someone from church and/or a neighbor as it was with Whitney. They wouldn't even have to know where she might hike, but just pick a place. See below for how the snapchat saying where she was going to hike could have happened.

Yes, her snapchat did specify the trail. Could someone else have sent it? You never know if you're actually getting a text from the person whose number shows up. You assume it, but anyone can text from her phone if it's not locked. Does it work that way with snapchat? Or she could have been forced to send the message to her Dad.

I don't know anything about how snapchat works (have never used it) but I thought it was an app that lets you send brief video messages. I believe the video disappears 10 seconds after it is viewed. I don't know if you can text with snapchat as well. A brief video sent to her dad would explain why her missing poster said the color beanie she was wearing and no other clothing description.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mona Lisa
Back