Found Deceased OR - Anna 'Annie' Schmidt, 21, Columbia River Gorge, 16 Oct 2016

Or maybe too many overcharges or too much use made the phone's battery not working properly. I have a Galaxy S4 which it quite dies fast if you use it heavily.

Points to ponder:
1) Roommates are sometimes just that - roommates. They do not necessarily have to have any involvement with their counterparts life other than paying rent, utilities,
and the occasional "Hey, I have a friend coming over, hope it's okay with you." I see no issues with the roommates actions or inferred lack thereof, or her lack of
knowledge about specifics about Annie's life, daily travels, items owned.
2) I don't think Annie's mother talking about her "being in Heaven" is so much as her giving up hope as much as it is a "Mother's intuition" that something has happened
and Annie is no longer with us on this Earthen Plane.
3) I text my boyfriend "Are you alive?" on a regular basis when he decides to be a jackhole and ghost out from texting for a few days. Regardless of the fact I could
strangle the little poophead when he's being emo, using this phrase isn't anything unusual for us.
4) It is entirely within the realm of possibility she was kidnapped while hiking along the trail. This happened in Georgia several years back, I believe Gary Hinton was
the man convicted of that girl's murder. Very similar circumstances to this case- she went hiking in the woods, never returned home.

Her brother made a post referring to "months before my sister passed". I find it super strange they are assuming she's dead so quickly. Maybe this is another thing that can be explained away by them being Mormon but still super weird to me.

Hoping this pretty lady is home soon.

To respond to the suicide theory:

Sometimes people who commit suicide give absolutely zero warning signs to people. I know of at least two personally who have sadly committed suicide, and they were two of the happiest people I knew-- on the outside. After their deaths, friends and family were completely shocked and many said "I just talked to them last week, and they seemed so cheerful and happy" and other similar things.

At this time I wouldn't rule out suicide, but hopefully she's alive and well somewhere.

Dont teens buy new phones before camping gear.

Depends on the person lifestyle i suppose( assume). I'M not to hip on what hot with teens, thats way above my league. I have seen teens buy those cartoon or anime trading cards before they buy new decent shoes... But I do get what your saying.

This case has some similarities to that of Alissa McCrann, who went missing just over ten months ago, on December 19, 2015. She was also from Portland and went on a spur-of-the-moment hiking trip. Her car was found at the Multnomah falls parking lot, which is on the Washington side of the river, about 10 miles from where Annie's car was found. Despite extensive searching, her body was never found.

This case has some similarities to that of Alissa McCrann, who went missing just over ten months ago, on December 19, 2015. She was also from Portland and went on a spur-of-the-moment hiking trip. Her car was found at the Multnomah falls parking lot, which is on the Washington side of the river, about 10 miles from where Annie's car was found. Despite extensive searching, her body was never found.

Multnomah Falls is on the Oregon side. But yes they are very close to eachother. I've gone on some easy hikes around Multnomah but never been to the area Annie went.

Regarding the gas-up in Beaverton:

First of all, do we know if Annie was actually living in Portland proper? If I were from Beaverton, I might tell people I lived in Portland, because I would assume they would have never heard of Beaverton. It's technically true, in a way, because Beaverton is in the Portland Metropolitan area.

Secondly, even if Annie lived in Portland proper, she could have been very close to Beaverton. They're adjacent to each other. If Annie lived in Southwest Portland, there's a Pho place in Beaverton (Pho Nguyen) just one minute or so away from the Portland boundary. There's also a convenient gas station in Beaverton she could have stopped at after eating at Pho Nguyen, just before the Portland city limits.

So the fact that she gassed up in Beaverton doesn't necessarily mean she made a big detour West before driving East, it would depend entirely on precisely where she lived and where she gassed up.

Multnomah Falls is on the Oregon side. But yes they are very close to eachother. I've gone on some easy hikes around Multnomah but never been to the area Annie went.

Oops, that's right, it's on the same side of the river. Thanks. Not sure how I got that mixed up....

I've been trying to find some first-hand information about the snapchat but not having much success. There are several reports that say Annie snapchatted from the trail. That would be huge if they can retrieve the snapchat, because they could then potentially tell exactly what trail she was on.

The best I could find was an interview with Jon in which he says, "We saw a snapchat post that she did on Sunday. She was up here hiking in the afternoon..." (source)

That does kind of make it sound like she was hiking when she sent the snapchat. However, I don't think he meant to imply that. Given that the phone was found in the car, and the last ping was around 2:30, it seems likely that she snapchatted from the car that she was going hiking near Tooth Rock, and then left the phone in the car because it was very low on battery.

Unfortunately, it doesn't seem as if the snapchat is going to provide much useful information.

Wow. I just checked snapchat's website to see what they say, and they have a Snapchat Law Enforcement Guide posted. It says:

b. Logs of Previous Snaps, Stories, and Chats
Snapchat retains logs for the last 31 days of Snaps sent and
received, for 24 hours of posted Stories, and for any unopened
Chats or those saved by a sender or recipient. The logs contain
meta-data about the Snaps, Stories, and Chats, but not the
content.

bbm. So the actual content may be lost forever! I sure hope an expert tried to retrieve it from Annie's phone or whatever device the recipients viewed in on. It's often possible...

RSBM

I am not seeing the roommate's behavior as suspicious at all.
Just having read trough this thread, the suspicion has been based on a couple things:

The other one, a nice girl with whom I coexisted. We weren't friends, we only shared information necessary to be able to share an apartment. I still think she was a great girl, I know she was a devout Baptist, and I know she was very tidy and neat. I couldn't tell you anything negative about her, but I knew very little about what she did outside the apartment. If she had disappeared, I would have tried to reach her after a while, most likely would have concluded that I had misunderstood something and she had been away, and wouldn't have been awfully alarmed until days later or when someone who knew her much better came looking for her. If she had disappeared, I would have also told authorities that she was a great girl, that she seemed perfectly fine the last time I saw her and she was happy (she always seemed to be,) and I had no idea where she could be. I would have said very similar things to what Annie's roommate did, and trust me, I wouldn't have had anything to do with my roommate's disappearance.

MOO

Exactly. Annie has only been in Portland since July, so they haven't been roommates long. I had a similar roommate experience to you. It took me a good 8-9 months to get to really know her and her quirks.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

If she had a phone that didn't hold much charge surely she had a car charger and would charge up prior to her hike. Maybe she simply forgot the phone, I don't know. Very puzzling. Just seems with so many resources in the area she would have been found.

Does anyone know if they are only going within 2-mile radius suggested by LE? I can't help but wonder if she's further out if there at all. I think of poor little Noah Chamberlain and searches never thought he would have traveled as far as he did.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

If she had a phone that didn't hold much charge surely she had a car charger and would charge up prior to her hike.

Speaking from first hand experience :) the problem is that if you don't realize your battery is low before you get there, it's too late to charge it once you're there.

I know I'm probably beating a dead horse at this point but I keep thinking what if she's out there, alive, and ran away for whatever reason... and is now seeing her family be completely at "peace" with her being dead? It makes my heart hurt for her. I keep thinking about Hannah Thomas-Garner (or the other way around, I can never remember). Would she have ever called her Dad to reunite if the entire family was acting as if they were sure she was dead?! Doubtful.

Maybe there's something we don't know. I dunno.

I know I'm probably beating a dead horse at this point but I keep thinking what if she's out there, alive, and ran away for whatever reason... and is now seeing her family be completely at "peace" with her being dead? It makes my heart hurt for her. I keep thinking about Hannah Thomas-Garner (or the other way around, I can never remember). Would she have ever called her Dad to reunite if the entire family was acting as if they were sure she was dead?! Doubtful.

I agree. In addition to the theory she ran away, she could have also still been in the park, alive but injured. They just found a missing Australian Hiker in Malaysia and he had survived 2 weeks: http://www.cnn.com/2016/11/01/asia/australian-missing-hiker-malaysia/

Today was just over 2 weeks since the day Annie went missing. It's most likely too late if she was in the park, but I feel so sad Annie is still missing :(
I can't begin to know what her family is going through and I don't begrudge them anything that brings them peace, but this is heart wrenching.

I've been trying to find some first-hand information about the snapchat but not having much success. There are several reports that say Annie snapchatted from the trail. That would be huge if they can retrieve the snapchat, because they could then potentially tell exactly what trail she was on.

The best I could find was an interview with Jon in which he says, "We saw a snapchat post that she did on Sunday. She was up here hiking in the afternoon..." (source)

That does kind of make it sound like she was hiking when she sent the snapchat. However, I don't think he meant to imply that. Given that the phone was found in the car, and the last ping was around 2:30, it seems likely that she snapchatted from the car that she was going hiking near Tooth Rock, and then left the phone in the car because it was very low on battery.

Unfortunately, it doesn't seem as if the snapchat is going to provide much useful information.

Wow. I just checked snapchat's website to see what they say, and they have a Snapchat Law Enforcement Guide posted. It says:

bbm. So the actual content may be lost forever! I sure hope an expert tried to retrieve it from Annie's phone or whatever device the recipients viewed in on. It's often possible...

Thanks for this!!

Even though LE isn't able to retrieve the content of the snap she sent to her father, couldn't the metadata possibly provide some insight into her app usage that day?

For example, if she opened any snaps/stories created by her friends that day, I would think the metadata would include the time she opened it or indicate if those snaps were unopened and expired. Another possibility might be metadata that contains location information for the snap she sent her dad that day. I guess my point is... it definitely couldn't hurt to request the metadata, right?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have been following the case, thread and the Find Annie Schmidt FB page all along. I also posted a couple of times early on but haven't in some time since there seems to be so little to go on.

So Annie's father, Jon, posted on the FAS page a few hours ago, as he has been doing on a regular basis. In part the posts reads, "The county search and rescue told us that there will be continued efforts to recover Annie's body with dogs and sonar search of the Columbia river." As another poster mentioned earlier today, Annie's brother says of her in an FB post from 23 hours ago, "Months before she passed ...." The entire family appears to be convinced that Annie is no longer alive. This, of course, in addition to Annie's mother saying, "'I don’t think she’s still alive. I don’t think she’s survived,' ... 'Honestly, that brings me comfort knowing she is with her Heavenly Father, that she’s not hurting, that she’s not suffering. But we do want to find her body'" on Saturday, October 22nd, 6 days after Annie was last seen, or what would have been the second day of search at the Columbia River Gorge.

At this point, I cannot help but wonder if there was something discovered early on that indicated to the family that Annie was not coming home alive. I understand that the weather was dangerously bad around the time Annie would have gone to the Gorge area, and if that is what convinced the family that she was no longer alive when she hadn't been found a week later, then yes, that would make logical sense. It's just that in my experience, it is very unusual for the family of the missing in this circumstance to be so convinced so soon. Yes, the weather was terrible, but in most cases, loved ones would still want to continue looking, saying that the missing person is strong, that they wouldn't give up. Perhaps a note was found and the family simply does not wish to share ....

Exactly. Personally, I do believe there is something we have not been made privy to that let the family know that Annie went to the Gorge that day with no intention of coming back.

Exactly. Personally, I do believe there is something we have not been made privy to that let the family know that Annie went to the Gorge that day with no intention of coming back.

Especially if they are now looking in the river, something Annie's Mom recently said she felt was needed.

I've read most of the posts on this thread, the comments under the missing post on Annie's personal FB page, and a large portion of her Twitter.

Here's what I've personally gleaned about Annie so far:

She appears to be a religious, open-minded, adventurous, lover of life, nature, and people from all walks of life. She also seems to be outgoing, like someone who can talk to others with great ease. But, I have a feeling she may be feeling a bit curious about life in general and her purpose in this world, as well as possibly her spirituality and everything she may or may not have been sheltered from growing up. She's at that age when we begin to really find ourselves and start to figure out who we hope to become.

Maybe Annie's mom noticed a change in her daughter since she'd moved out to Oregon, so her mom decided to plan a hiking trip and hoped she could convince Annie to come back to Utah with her. Maybe Annie had a feeling this was the real reason for her mom's trip and took off.

(I'm just spitballing here...)

I didn't see anything to suggest she may have been depressed, but as many of you have already pointed out, they aren't always there. I did see a tweet she replied to one day with "that's me all day, every day" (or something to that affect) about questioning your purpose in life. Didn't I read somewhere on here that she had been on a mission trip not that long ago, prior to moving to Oregon? Does anyone know how long she was gone or where she went exactly? I've followed a few cases in the past that have involved others who disappeared after returning home from a lengthy trip or "trip around the world", and unfortunately, they have often ended in suicide. It's apparently common for world travelers to experience some depression, or a sense of purposelessness, as they attempt to adjust back into the daily grind of life after returning home.

I also read a few tweets about her desire to travel. She once even tweeted about wanting a van, so she wouldn't have to pay money to stay in hotels and could spend more time immersed in nature. She definitely seems to have a zest for life and adventure, and I wouldn't be surprised if she did hop a ride out to California. Unfortunately, we all know how dangerous it can be to live that "hippie-like" hitchhiker lifestyle these days and how badly that could turn out.

Also, does anyone know when the weather started getting bad? Was it well before Saturday/Sunday (I'm still a bit confused about which day her last whereabouts are known)? Or did it start getting bad on Saturday/Sunday after she may have already been on the trail?

Basically, to sum it all up, I feel like any scenario is possible at this point. She could have gotten lost or hurt while hiking. She could have been met with foul play before arriving at the trails. She may have run off and hitched a ride somewhere. She may have been met with foul play after being picked up. She may have decided to take her own life. Any and all of these scenarios are equally plausible to me. I don't think anyone can honestly know without a doubt that she's deceased, though. Unless her family has knowledge that strongly points to that being the case, I find it completely absurd to assume as much.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonderPony
Back